Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 AM #1
dak22

dak22 is playing at Living Legends VII
EDGE: The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray and new kinect

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-...nd-new-kinect/

Quote:
Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console’s hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft’s extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.
Hope this rumor isn't true.

Last edited by dak22 : 02-06-2013 at 11:08 AM.
dak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2013, 11:19 AM #2
Terd Fergusen
HOTDOG AND SWEETHOG

Terd Fergusen has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Terd Fergusen has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Yeah I was reading about this earlier today. I seriously laughed at the always online and no second hand games bull****. That means no reselling your games or even borrowing games from a friend. The always online DRM didnt work well for Diablo 3 so I cant see it doing too well when applied to an entire console either. Besides, I know multiple people who play xbox extremely casually and therefore don't have their console wired let alone having an xbox live account.

That kind of **** pretty much assures that I wont be buying this next xbox... either way, the pc I built 2 years ago will still be much more powerful than this without all the downsides.

Terd Fergusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 AM #3
Noble Fortune (Banned)
Hakuna Matata

Always on internet? No second games?

Looks like the PC master race will be growing very rapidly. Glad I built mine back in september.
Noble Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 AM #4
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

has been a member for 10 years
Forza and NHL12 are the only games my 360 has seen in years anyway.

PLEASE MAKE PC VERSIONS

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM #5
dualimpact
I'm A Hypocrite

Annual Supporting Member
dualimpact helped look for balloons
I don't think they would make it need an internet connection, that just doesnt make sense.
dualimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 PM #6
AxeCop

Look at all these journalists pulling a Kotaku and publishing rumors as fact, without providing any sources at all.

$20 says everything in this article proves wrong.
AxeCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:44 PM #7
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Fortune View Post
Always on internet? No second games?

Looks like the PC master race will be growing very rapidly. Glad I built mine back in september.

I for one am preparing and saving up to dump a good chunk of change into a rig that will last me throughout the next generation. It's time to make the switch back.

These ******s and their copyrights are going to bring the gaming industry down. I don't know a single person that doesn't buy used games on the regular, or sells their games back in order to buy new ones. That's been a standard since the ****ing inception of video games. NOBODY is going to pay full price for EVERY purchase, especially given how hit or miss even the most popular franchises have become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeCop View Post
Look at all these journalists pulling a Kotaku and publishing rumors as fact, without providing any sources at all.

One can only hope.

That being said, I've pretty much decided to not buy it anyways. What's the ****ing point? I'm looking through my library right now, and the ONLY games in my possession that I can't get on PC are the ones I've downloaded through XBLA (most of which are ports or clones of PC games anyways).

Steambox is going to roll through and clean house anyways. I wouldn't even be surprised with Apple's supposed entry into the market sweeping the casual gaming crowd from Nintendo's grasp too.

This generation is going to be a huge revolution, but Microsoft and Sony aren't going to be a part of it.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

XBL - xStonedCrow
komodo_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:44 PM #8
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Microsoft is stupid, but they're not that stupid, I don't think.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM #9
dak22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeCop View Post

I'd agree, but with how rumors about sony developing anti-used technology, I wouldn't be suprised if there was some truth to this.

It's no secret developers dislike second hand game sales, and want to stop places like gamestop from making a profit. Like the saying goes, when there's smoke, there's fire.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM #10
Noble Fortune (Banned)
Hakuna Matata

The Verge has generally been right about the past Microsoft 'rumor mills'. I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:19 PM #11
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Yeah none of this surprises me at all.

Except the Blu-Ray player. I was under the assumption Sony would **** them sideways before they let them include one in their system.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

XBL - xStonedCrow
Old 02-06-2013, 02:19 PM #12
dak22

looks like edge is banking on their "sources"

http://www.edge-online.com/features/...playstation-4/

"scary" for the consumer, but not suprising given developers as of late.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM #13
Noble Fortune (Banned)
Hakuna Matata

Game stop's stock price is starting to dip..already down 6%
Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 PM #14
iPaintYou
..needs a better username

If this is true, the 360 will be my last console. I've slowly moved to PC gaming over the past year and was already considering not buying the next Xbox. The only games keeping me on Xbox are Halo and GOW, both of which I'd be fine playing the campaigns and forgetting about. Halo 4 is fun and all, but the online has just gone to ****. Don't even get me started about ranking systems that aren't skill based and make games no fun.
TOXIC RAGE #17
G6R. SL-68 II.
iPaintYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 PM #15
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Fortune View Post
Game stop's stock price is starting to dip..already down 6%
That's sad.

I don't agree entirely with Gamestop's practices. They very much rip you off with trade-ins. But there is virtually no other widely available store that allows a second hand gaming market to thrive. A local chain exists between Cleveland and Pittsburgh that gives more than adequate pricing for trade-ins, but what is everyone else supposed to use?

It's easy to say "lol sucks for you fags I have a PC and get my games for cheap", but is it really acceptable to let the conglomerate of "intellectual property" permeate and dissolve the last medium of entertainment that has so far been least affected?

This past generation has shown the transition from innovation and quality to overly marketed, re-hashed garbage. It's really ****ed up to know that it's only going to get worse now that the whole industry is becoming choked out and deluded.

XBL - xStonedCrow
Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 PM #16
dak22

You can thank the sky-high development budgets for that.

When a game sells 5 million, like Resident Evil 6 (despite the issues), and is considered a failure in the eyes of executives, we've reach beyond the tipping point in terms of sustainability.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:13 PM #17
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

My only issue is the cite it as being like Steam. But it's not. Steam is very much one account and I can't be on an account while someone else is on it (unless offline) but Steam allows you to download the games on as many different computers as you want to. And with the addition of Steam Cloud, they've proven they endorse it as well.

Steam doesn't like sharing of games. But they do promote people using multiple computers.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 PM #18
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post
My only issue is the cite it as being like Steam. But it's not. Steam is very much one account and I can't be on an account while someone else is on it (unless offline) but Steam allows you to download the games on as many different computers as you want to. And with the addition of Steam Cloud, they've proven they endorse it as well.

Steam doesn't like sharing of games. But they do promote people using multiple computers.
Not only that but the games actually go on sale frequently enough that you don't feel like an ******* paying for a "new" game.

Every major release for consoles is still $60 two years after launch.

XBL - xStonedCrow
Old 02-06-2013, 05:28 PM #19
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo_117 View Post
Not only that but the games actually go on sale frequently enough that you don't feel like an ******* paying for a "new" game.

Every major release for consoles is still $60 two years after launch.
uh what

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Mode.../dp/B00503E8S2

black cocks 2 is $49.99 right now
Cmizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM #20
AxeCop

I would be surprised if there is literally no way to sell games second hand. 3 things make consoles great: couch play, no worries about compatibility, and trading/selling games with friends.

I think a usage limit would be likely, as in games can only be used on 2-3 consoles before "deactivating."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post
The main difference between steam and xbox/ps3/etc is that brand new steam games are usually cheaper and go down in cost faster. I still see xbox/ps3 versions of COD4 for 40 bucks at EBgames. Its $20 on steam.
AxeCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM #21
Noble Fortune (Banned)
Hakuna Matata

CoD doesn't count. Every single CoD doesn't go below $9.99. CoD4 is still $19.99.