Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 PM #1
purple crayon

College

I just received my g.e.d and now want to attend college. Was wondering what jobs are in high demand and what are some classes I should take? And since my parents don't make lots of money where do I apply for grants?
purple crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2013, 06:16 AM #2
sucka T.

has been a member for 10 years
http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ for grants and financial aid

high demand degrees, accounting and nursing are in high demand

ThreadSavers«

http://www.ohnoes.org/

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=891102
sucka T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 PM #3
purple crayon

Is financial aid the same as grants? I don't see anything about grants on that website.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM #4
sucka T.

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/help.htm

Look where it says "what is in my financial aid package?" in the FAQ section.

Financial aid=general assistance through the government and your school which includes loans and grants. A grant is money given to you through the government that you dont have to pay back. A loan you have to pay back. Grants are practically free money. So when you get a grant from the government, you are no longer eligible to complain about government spending, debt, or tax rates.

ThreadSavers«

Old 02-05-2013, 04:21 PM #5
purple crayon

Haha true i'm not much of a complainer. I think I will get approved because my parents were divorced by the time I was seven years old and she only makes thirteen dollars a hour and lives in a small apartment. I'm filling out the FAFSA now. I just plan on attending a community college, nothing expensive like a University. Was wondering thought If I do get a grant am I eligible to attend a University with a grant?

That would be awesome, I put my local University down as a third option but highly doubt i'm smart enough to get into that school.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 PM #6
HeatedNubbycake
^^^Gamertag^^^

HeatedNubbycake plays in the PSP
HeatedNubbycake supports Team VICIOUS
HeatedNubbycake supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple crayon View Post

That would be awesome, I put my local University down as a third option but highly doubt i'm smart enough to get into that school.

NO!
I KNOW you are plenty smart enough! Just gotta put your mind to it! if you know what you might want to do, i would try to start setting up a career path you think you may find interesting! are you a Math person? English? Science? Im currently attending a community college for engineering, and my teachings are plenty comparable to some of my friends at universities paying over 4x what i pay. We can sit and do problems together, and work on things together like were all going to the same place.

One thing i have noticed though (from the experiences i have had in my area), is that it seems with this economy, it seems (around here) that arts majors are not in demand as much as more technical majors (math based). I only say this because both of my brothers hold a bachelors in graphic arts, and are having alot of trouble finding jobs that can use their degree (along with many of their friends). And as a 3rd year engineering student i have multiple internship opportunities this summer with many of my classmates finding jobs as well, just seems that there are more jobs in the medical/engineering/science fields at the moment.

The only urine sample your getting from me is a taste test.
HeatedNubbycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM #7
purple crayon

It took me forever to pass my math test on my g.e.d. Out of all subjects in the g.e.d I scored the highest in science, I enjoy science but I know I might struggle down the road with it since math & science go hand and hand. I would like to be a chemical engineer but I highly doubt that. I like computers a lot, maybe a software engineer or a computer programmer. But then again math math math.

Maybe a nurse since it's in high demand, or maybe a electrical engineer but those I have zero experience in and would be going into a field I have no knowledge on. But then again i'm eager to learn a new trade. Maybe heating & air conditioning repair, people always need heat and air conditioning. Who know's lol. What are you guys going to college for?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:51 PM #8
sucka T.

Sounds like medical field would be good for you. It is alot of memorizing. Can you memorize things?

ThreadSavers«

Old 02-05-2013, 09:38 PM #9
purple crayon

I had a problem with inhaling aka smoking cannabis so my short term memory was a problem for awhile but now that I haven't smoked since September 30th my memory is coming back at a fast rate. I filled out my FAFSA form today & called my local community college and talked to the financial aid office. They told me to come in to the office in ten days to check up on my application then hopefully I can attend school for the summer term. Hoping for the best, I would love to be apart of college and do something with my life. I'm twenty one years old and only making nine dollars a hour. Not much spending money after bills and fuel & food. Thanks for taking the time to give all the motivation and advice guys, really appreciate the help.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM #10
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is a Supporting Member
Vegard is a founding member
Vegard is Boss
Accounting and engineering are both safe bets right now.
-growing older is mandatory ľ growing up is optional-
Vegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 PM #11
purple crayon

Yeah i've been looking into both of those. Not sure which engineering I would like. Maybe electrical engineering or software.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 PM #12
sucka T.

If you are not good at math, do not do engineering. You would have to do calculus, which is notoriously difficult. Accounting would be easier then engineering, but accounting involves some math, but everything that is useful requires some math at some point. Wont hurt to get core classes out of the way in the mean time while figuring out your career.

I took basic programming in high school and hated it (my dad is a software programmer, but I didn't get all of this math genes, just some. I did accounting instead.

ThreadSavers«

Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 PM #13
purple crayon

Yeah i'll probably have to pay money for non credited math classes. That's how behind in math I am.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 PM #14
sucka T.

If you have a GED you wont be that behind in math...you will have to take a college algebra class which goes over most **** from high school, and that will be required for your degree, so you wont be wasting credits.

ThreadSavers«

Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 PM #15
GrimXtk
Smiles McGee

GrimXtk owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
GrimXtk owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
GrimXtk is an NCPA player
I am currently an Accounting major. My first 2 accounting weren't so bad... but the 3rd one holy crap man is it hard. After that I heard its easier.

Just remember to work hard. Also its easier to get into some of the universities after you get some credits under your belt because they also have students who are dropping out. I went to community college for a year, and then I went to university.

Community college is cheaper, but I love university so much more.

Accounting is a safe route to take, theres so much you can do with it. Tax, Audit, Bookkeeping, just general knowledge of what your stuff is worth.

I would recommend Accounting on being a safe bet, and the fact you can do a lot with it. Just remember its okay to change, I did a few times. I will recommend you to actually get a degree worth something, and not some stupid degree like Art.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:47 PM #16
purple crayon

Yeah Accounting or Nursing is what i'm thinking.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:36 PM #17
empire112234
2k7er

Both safe choices. I think you should definitely do some research to see which is more appealing to you.
empire112234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 PM #18
purple crayon

I like to be active while working, so I think nursing is probably more for me. I can't see myself sitting down calculating numbers and doing book keeping work. Not appealing to me. I just received a letter from my community college it says.

Dear you,

Please review the following messages for your financial aid application.
Some of these may be informational only and some may require action on your part. If there are forms listed they may be obtained from the financial aid office or online.

- Your financial aid application for financial aid has been received by our office, however it is an unofficial record. This require some action on your part, please contact the federal process.

Now i'm going to call the school and ask what I need to do. I went to the school website and went under the financial aid category, looked and found forms that I think I need to print off and turn in. But I went to FAFSA and filled out that application and then received this letter.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 PM #19
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
What you need to do is figure out a few potential career choices, then visit college websites and read through the plan of study for each major you like. This will tell you what classes you need to take to graduate. Once you know what classes you'll be taking, download a past exam for each math/science class you think you'll struggle with and see how you stack up.

I would not recommend any type of engineering if you are not sure you want it. You will be subjected to an enormous work load with a large emphasis on math. As for programming, the more general stuff is done with nothing more than simple algebra. Once you get into the more advanced stuff, you may see more heavy duty math involved.

To me it sounds like you need to sit down and figure out what you want to base your career on before bothering with financial aid and admissions. Don't pick a career just because you think you'll have a job in 10 years, or it pays more than $13/hour. Pick something that interests you. Once you have a list of interesting majors, go through admissions criteria for schools in your price range and figure out if you have competitive scores. If you don't have a high ACT score, consider getting a tutor and retaking it. Standardized testing like the ACT and SAT are not tests of intelligence. They're tests of time management. Last of all, once you've figured this stuff out, contact admissions officers at prospective schools and ask them what you need to do in order to apply.

One bit of advice - it sounds like you left the drug days behind. That's good. While there may be time for that in your future and that's your decision to make, I would strongly recommend you stay clean and out of trouble for now if you haven't decided to already. You may need to get tested for scholarships or other reasons unexpectedly and you don't want your future to be in jeopardy over a few hours of feeling good. You're about to go through a phase where you're being judged by a lot of people that don't know nor care about you; people that have a direct influence on your future. If they don't smoke, they may have a problem with you if they find out that you do.

Last edited by eforce : 02-13-2013 at 12:20 PM.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:26 PM #20
sucka T.

I forgot to mention, my brother went for nursing and had to take a bunch of classes to get into nursing school, and then he applied to get into the nursing school, and didn't get accepted. So essentially he wasted a bunch of time. I am not sure if this is just one school's politics, or just a bad school he went to, or if my brother just didn't ask the right questions. Find out about that before writing any checks.

The "nursing school" I am refering to is just the nursing program at the school he was already attending.

ThreadSavers«

Old 02-13-2013, 02:53 PM #21
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
That's probably a matter of grades and admissions criteria, not politics or the quality of the school he went to.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote