Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-30-2014, 09:51 PM #1
tall white guy
^I regret this^

Annual Supporting Member
tall white guy is an NCPA player
Third-Party Apple Repairs

I'm not sure this is the right place to post, but it seems close enough.

I have a 13" macbook air with a cracked screen. Apple charges and arm and a leg to fix it, and I'm not confident in my competency to do it myself; therefore, I'm looking into shops that provide the service.

Has anyone had any experience with the third-party shops that offer apple repairs? I've found several that will replace the screen for roughly the same price, but I have been unable to discover many reviews or testimonials concerning these shops. With none of the shops being local, I'm slightly hesitant to send the laptop out at the moment. Any suggestions or recommendations from anyone who has dealt with third party apple shops? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
tall white guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2014, 10:38 AM #2
savage24x

savage24x has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
savage24x has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
They usually charge a lot more than they should be, since Apple charges so high. I can get a screen for MacBook Pro 13" anywhere between $20 and $300. It's usually an hour long repair, so $300 should be a decent price. What quotes have you gotten so far?

IUP Crimson Hawks
savage24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:42 AM #3
tall white guy
^I regret this^

Annual Supporting Member
I haven't had a chance to stop at an apple store yet and get a direct quote, but the third party quotes have been between $250 and $350. Thanks for the input, it's very much appreciated.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:23 PM #4
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Yeah that's not bad. I'd expect it to be more on the $350 side though.

The problem with Apple repairs is that most places can't *legally* offer Apple repair services unless their technicians are Apple certified, which is a pretty tedious, expensive, and very hard cert to get (enough so that most people just say **** Mac and get other certs instead). That being said, does an Apple cert mean that the person working on it knows what they're doing any better than someone without the certs but has worked on many Macs? Yes and No. It's really up to individual competency and experience, the latter of which provides a lot more insight into their proficiency than academics. Rightfully, an Apple repair shop should have all of the available resources to repair it quickly and easily, but at a premium. But we're seeing Apple products become so popular now that any generic repair shop would at least have to consider the same level of competency if they want to stay in business.

If you want to save the money, I say take the chance. Unless you happen to know someone that's handy with macbooks. I can honestly say that I would be super sketchy about replacing the screen on a macbook air myself, even though I've torn apart about a dozen laptops in the last two years. I'm sure it's no harder than anything else, but I couldn't guarantee any confidence walking into it.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

Steam - BabyHands
komodo_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:53 PM #5
tall white guy
^I regret this^

Annual Supporting Member
Thanks, I really appreciate your break-down of the shops.

I'm going to send the mac out after Christmas. Thanks guys