Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM #1
OccupyST

Five threads on gun control, yet no one touched this?

China’s air pollution is so bad it’s visible from space

Thoughts?

OccupyST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2013, 03:01 PM #2
EPAPressure
Jobs are for immigrants

We're supposed to do what about this...? The computer you're using is cheap because they can mass produce and not give a ****.

-Said nobody, ever.

"Originally posted by drgonzo: That doesn't make sense, the people with the most interaction and dependence on government have the most significant stakes and should have the vote if anyone. People who reject government and do not use government services should be denied the vote if anything." ^^FAIL

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: When I think geocities I think ****ty tiled background and sparkly titles. Think of a minority's myspace page."
EPAPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:27 PM #3
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul

mnp8nt is playing at Living Legends III
mnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mnp8nt supports Team VICIOUS
mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
mnp8nt is attending Decay of Nations VII
China is proposing some pretty dramatic changes in the urban centers in terms of reducing factory pollution and by limiting the number of cars on the road at any one time. Of course this is all a huge problem considering the size of the population. China represents the largest consumer of coal, a network of nuclear power plants (recyclable) would one day hopefully replace this in our lifetime. It's been said that with the Chinese market maturing they are starting to outsource manufacturing to other countries like Vietnam, Malaysia and India.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:20 PM #4
Volucris
asmuchtextastheywillallow

There's nothing to do about it and frankly I don't care. Dirty people make for a dirty country. Much of their population in Hong Kong lived and still lives in dog cages.
Volucris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:26 PM #5
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
What right do citizens of the US have to tell citizens of China what to do?

Let them sort their own problems out.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:34 PM #6
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Do you all not think this will have global effects?
Old 02-03-2013, 04:45 PM #7
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volucris View Post
There's nothing to do about it and frankly I don't care. Dirty people make for a dirty country. Much of their population in Hong Kong lived and still lives in dog cages.
Had to double check the avatar and make sure it wasn't:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
What right do citizens of the US have to tell citizens of China what to do?

Let them sort their own problems out.
We have the UN for a reason, let it be ineffective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
Do you all not think this will have global effects?
Climate change doesn't exist.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:51 PM #8
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Climate change doesn't exist.
Oh, ya, I forgot.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:54 PM #9
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
Oh, ya, I forgot.
It's okay, silly libtard. the conspiracy is much larger than you think.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 PM #10
OccupyST

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnp8nt View Post
It's been said that with the Chinese market maturing they are starting to outsource manufacturing
See I thought they were growing/maturing quickly too, but I think the state media is doing a bit of hype.

Quote:
Dirty people make for a dirty country.
Technically a dirty country (environment) makes dirty people..

Last edited by OccupyST : 02-03-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 PM #11
Volucris

People made that country as dirty as it is; not the environment. Taking care of this planet is the responsibility of the organisms occupying it; namely humans. The problem is that China is a sovereign state and there's ****all we can do to change them. This is what happens when the environment is not a corporate interest to preserve.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 PM #12
ladd_17
bA What?!?

ladd_17 is a Supporting Member
ladd_17 plays in the PSP
ladd_17 plays in the APPA D3 division
ladd_17 is Boss
I think we can all agree that pollution of this level is a bad thing, but as it has already been noted, no amount of discussion on our part can ever hope to have an impact on China's policies.

Lets focus on fixing ourselves before we go taking on that cluster****.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 PM #13
Space Pope

Except we move all of the polution and work over there. That way some hippie **** can have thier iphones and drive a prius whilepretending to be "green" because all of the smoke stakes are half a world away.
Space Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 PM #14
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
People made that country as dirty as it is; not the environment. Taking care of this planet is the responsibility of the organisms occupying it; namely humans. The problem is that China is a sovereign state and there's ****all we can do to change them. This is what happens when the environment is not a corporate interest to preserve.
Privatize the environment! WHITE POWER!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 PM #15
scienceguy

What makes this interesting is that china media is admitting to the polution. I work with lots of Chinese and they say the government never admits to it. I saw photos a few weeks ago from coworkers that made Beijing look like scenes from Blade Runner.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 PM #16
Iamamartianchurch

The worst the UN can do is write an angry letter.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 PM #17
F1VENOM

Quote:
This is what happens when the environment is not a corporate interest to preserve.
Bull****, all businesses operate in an ethical manner and thus should be unregulated.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:54 PM #18
OccupyST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladd_17 View Post
no amount of discussion on our part can ever hope to have an impact on China's policies.
Not to keep beating an old drum, but your comment could also be applied to the little gun control debate... Yet people discuss it to no end. Just saying..
Old 02-03-2013, 11:02 PM #19
Volucris

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
Privatize the environment! WHITE POWER!
What are you on about now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Bull****, all businesses operate in an ethical manner and thus should be unregulated.

Hardly. Can't say I've ever been an advocate for allowing businesses to rape the earth as they please.

>people think I'm some rapetheearth****yeahletsgotowarneocon because I'm a gun rights advocate

***** pls
Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 AM #20
Umami
AFK IRL

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
This is what happens when the environment is not a corporate interest to preserve.
How do you do that? Lord knows that's not the way it is here...

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:34 AM #21
scienceguy

The problem is that the Chinese government media and businesses are one entity. There is no outlet to complain to that has the power to fix this issue. The best description I can get from my Chinese coworkers is their government is run like the mafia, and industry is their primary symbol of national pride. It's a situation like The old USSR. As long as Moscow was clean, rockets were sent to space, and the athletes did well in the olympics, they didn't care if poland's ground water was more acidic than vinegar.

America used to pollute like China, just in a smaller scale due to the lower population. The evidence is in the number of superfund sites around America. The old timers tell stories about swimming in the Merrimack river and betting what color their skin would be when they got out. (Chemical plants and tanneries up river in Nashua, Lowell, Haverhill and Lawrence dumped heavily around the turn of the century) The threat of large fines increased the cost of doing business so manufacturing of the dirty industries was mainly outsourced. China has been investing heavily in Africa so maybe their plan is to eventually move them there?

The pollution in China has been this bad for a long time. I remember in the 90s that Southern California was getting acid rain from Chinese power plants. My coworkers have lots of stories about it, similar to the old timer stories along the Merrimack river. During the Olympics they ordered factories around the country to stop production and power plants were closed to give the illusion that Beijing was a clean city.

It's a big deal and they're going to have to do something about this. It's a communist country though so they can make large sweeping changes more easily than here if they have the will. Look what they did to the people living along the Yangtze.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote