Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 PM #22
vesparider

vesparider has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
vesparider has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
vesparider has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
vesparider supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimag03 View Post
Wow, that's pretty hostile coming from a mod. If you read post #9 you'll see that I originally suggested that people pay for their Dow 55 and even mentioned that it could be had for a lot cheaper from non-pb sources. I was just replying to the guy that gets his Dow33/55 for free from his work. Maybe you should also tell him not to take stuff from his work while you're at it?
I never said I was stealing it from work. Just a perk. There is much odd inventory of lubricants that are a one time use after opening due to regulations. Its a common practice just like the use of safety glasses, gloves and PPE thats allowed for home use. I just don't want to go into business by selling it and ruining the perk for everyone else.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 PM #23
ZEDI
UnNamed

ZEDI owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ZEDI has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ZEDI has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
To the OP,

Check Gregg Distributors.....

http://www.greggdistributors.ca/

There are a couple around Edmonton. It's about $30 for a 150g tube, that's better than $10 for a 25g tube you find at pb shops.

You can also get tri-flow there as well.

Cheers.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 PM #24
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
I've used Hater Marmalade for a long time in my Gen5s. I do have a tube of DOW 55 now, but leave it at home. The Marmalade goes in my field bag, if I need a bit of lube, I use it.

I still find it entertaining when people freak out about non DOW 55 use. Seemingly the marker should implode and send itself to another dimension if on DOW 55 is brought within a few feet of it, with how these people react.
It's not so much that your marker will implode, just that it isn't the most ideal lube for the marker. Dow 55 does a good job of lengthening the life of the O-rings, provides good lubrication and also swells the o-ring so they fit their intended tolerances. Most people can get away with using other lubes, it just isn't ideal. In my opinion there is also no excuse (other than for a short term transition) to own a $700 + marker and not purchase a tube of the correct lubricant for it especially when the recommended lubricants are actually cheaper than most of the alternatives out there...

Last edited by Mr. Stealthy : 02-03-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 PM #25
Six_Shooter
,,,(^_^),,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stealthy View Post
It's not so much that your marker will implode, just that it isn't the most ideal lube for the marker. Dow 55 does a good job of lengthening the life of the O-rings, provides good lubrication and also swells the o-ring so they fit their intended tolerances. Most people can get away with using other lubes, it just isn't ideal.
All internet fanboy myth.

I'm not new to Bob Long, infact I only ever owned one other brand of marker before moving up to the world of Bob Long. I used Marmalade for years, NEVER had an issue, in fact I'd say I had less issues using Marmalade than I have using Dow 55.

"Originally posted by gamer565: I can't believe its not butter, cause it sure shoots like it."

"Originally posted by lucasicool: im more excited than rebecca black on a thursday night!!!!"
Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 PM #26
Sniper71
Shooting fools since 92

Sniper71 plays in the PSP
Sniper71 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
All internet fanboy myth.

Im pretty sure thats what bob told me as I was sitting there personally building and teching markers with him at the factory....
New England Blizzard-Captain/Owner
Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 PM #27
‹GOD›
PMGWC Council

‹GOD› helped look for balloons
‹GOD› is playing at Living Legends III
‹GOD› owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Dow33 isn't even an o-ring lubricant, 55 however is and according to the Dow Corning website it does swell o-rings.
OLD FEEDBACK
"Originally posted by Gordofski: you can trust GOD though"
Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 PM #28
Pbkid's pmr
R.I.P Diesel 7/9/14 8==3

Pbkid's pmr is playing at Living Legends VII
Pbkid's pmr supports Empire
For the sake of the argument, if a auto manufacturer can't tell you that if you don't use x lube it will void your warranty why can bob long? Apple to a watermelon but its an example.

That said, Dow 55 is what I'd use. Between 55, 33, and triflow you can lube any gun on the market.

My youtube channel

Sexy G6R F/T
Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM #29
jonotwist
fistfull o'sunshine & joy

Annual Supporting Member
jonotwist is playing at Living Legends VII
jonotwist plays in the APPA D4 division
jonotwist supports Empire
a thread abot dow55 doesnt need this much discuaaion lol,

OP give me your address, ill send you a canister.

Breakout Actions Sports Wenies Buy Elsewhere
Old 02-03-2013, 09:27 PM #30
ZEDI
UnNamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbkid's pmr View Post
For the sake of the argument, if a auto manufacturer can't tell you that if you don't use x lube it will void your warranty why can bob long? Apple to a watermelon but its an example.

That said, Dow 55 is what I'd use. Between 55, 33, and triflow you can lube any gun on the market.
Actually they can. If you use the wrong grade of oil, ie 5w30 instead of the recommend 0w60, they will, and have, void your warranty. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer though.

They way I look at it is if Bob says to use it, use it. I'm pretty sure he knows what he is talking about. Unless you yourself have designed some of the world's best markers out there?

My two cents.

Cheers.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 PM #31
Pbkid's pmr
R.I.P Diesel 7/9/14 8==3

Pbkid's pmr is playing at Living Legends VII
Pbkid's pmr supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEDI View Post
Actually they can. If you use the wrong grade of oil, ie 5w30 instead of the recommend 0w60, they will, and have, void your warranty. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer though.

They way I look at it is if Bob says to use it, use it. I'm pretty sure he knows what he is talking about. Unless you yourself have designed some of the world's best markers out there?

My two cents.

Cheers.
Never claimed to, just trying to make an argument productive. It's too bad bob wouldn't just raise the price 5$ and include enough 55 to last forever. End of argument lol.

My youtube channel

Sexy G6R F/T
Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 AM #32
ZEDI
UnNamed

Lol. Agreed
Old 02-04-2013, 12:34 AM #33
Six_Shooter
,,,(^_^),,,

The problem is that while DOW 55 might work great at the Bob Long Factory, in that climate, does not mean that the same results will be had with the same lubricant everywhere else on the planet. Temperature, humidity, and other environmental variables all have an effect on how a lubricant will react.

So to have a blanket statement of "DOW 55 or nothing" is just opening up problems for users in areas where DOW 55 does not provide the lubrication or properties it promises. I believe this is why I have LESS problems using Marmalade, than DOW 55.

This is one area where I will say that it's internet fanboy syndrome causing this myth to spread. Do what you want, it's your marker, I just know that I don't listen to strictly hype, and actually test out what does and doesn't work.

"Originally posted by gamer565: I can't believe its not butter, cause it sure shoots like it."

"Originally posted by lucasicool: im more excited than rebecca black on a thursday night!!!!"
Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 AM #34
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

has been a member for 10 years
How is encouraging people to use the manufacturer's recommended lubricant "fanboy myth"?

Dow 55's operating temperature range goes far lower than you'd ever be playing paintball in, if you don't glop it on I'd be very surprised if you ever had an issue.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 AM #35
blueshifty
RIP: Underřath

What are the specs for marmalade?

From Dow's website:
Quote:
Service Temperature High = 175 Deg C
Service Temperature Low = -65 Deg C
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be worried about paintball in 347*F or -85*F weather. Dow55 is used in airplanes all the time and is made to withstand some crazy temperature changes.

http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...t.aspx?r=392en
Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 AM #36
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
martix_agent is playing at Living Legends VII
martix_agent is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
What are the specs for marmalade?

From Dow's website:

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be worried about paintball in 347*F or -85*F weather. Dow55 is used in airplanes all the time and is made to withstand some crazy temperature changes.

http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...t.aspx?r=392en
Clearly, some fanboy owns DOW. this is just another marketing ploy to get us to buy into it.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:59 AM #37
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesparider View Post
I work for a major aircraft manufacturer where Dow 33 55 and tri flow is free. Along with many other lubricants. Lol! And NO I won't send you any! Call it my perk.
Boeing, Cessna, or Hawker Beechcraft?

Quote:
You can also get Dow to send you a free 5.3oz tube of any of their lube. All you need is a non-personal email address and a good enough reason that would justify a 'sample'. For example, you could tell them you run a business that has a lot of a freezers, and you need a lube that can stand up to the temps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer187 View Post
How about you don't lie to get free samples of products.
What 187 said.

Quote:
Wow, that's pretty hostile coming from a mod. If you read post #9 you'll see that I originally suggested that people pay for their Dow 55 and even mentioned that it could be had for a lot cheaper from non-pb sources. I was just replying to the guy that gets his Dow33/55 for free from his work. Maybe you should also tell him not to take stuff from his work while you're at it?
There's a big difference between an employer not minding personal use of lubricants, and lying to a manufacturer for samples. If my employer told me flat-out to go ahead and scoop out some DOW55 from the 55 gallon drum they got it in for my paintball needs, I'd do so, and take only what I'd need. Every job has perks, one way or another. That one happens to coincide with a hobby.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 AM #38
blueshifty
RIP: Underřath

Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
Clearly, some fanboy owns DOW. this is just another marketing ploy to get us to buy into it.
Yes. Dang fanboys.

POS Dow33:
Quote:
Service Temperature High = 204 Deg C
Service Temperature Low = -73 Deg C
It can't tolerate the temperature changes paintball subjects it to.

http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...t.aspx?r=388en
Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 PM #39
minimag03

minimag03 is an NCPA player
minimag03 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
Boeing, Cessna, or Hawker Beechcraft?

What 187 said.

There's a big difference between an employer not minding personal use of lubricants, and lying to a manufacturer for samples. If my employer told me flat-out to go ahead and scoop out some DOW55 from the 55 gallon drum they got it in for my paintball needs, I'd do so, and take only what I'd need. Every job has perks, one way or another. That one happens to coincide with a hobby.
187 assumed that I had gotten a free sample and called be a liar. I was just trying to point out that it was not very 'mod like', especially when I had first suggested people pay for their lube. I was only referencing a thread from YEARS ago on here...

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2456595

I usually buy my lube from MacrolineGuy. I'm still waiting for my Dow33 to run out before I try Lurkers stuff. So I still support the small paintball companies too.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM #40
vesparider

vesparider has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
vesparider has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
vesparider has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
vesparider supports DLX Technology
Spirit AeroSystems. We build the entire fuselage for the 737. 41 Sections for the 777 787 767 and 747. (41 section= cockpit) Nacels for Boeing and Aurbus. Plus the Fuselage for the new Sikorsky Helo. I run a 6 Axis Machine that requires a lot of lubricants.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 PM #41
kwik
Herbal Cultivar M.D.

Annual Supporting Member
kwik is a Supporting Member
kwik is playing at Living Legends VI
kwik is playing at Living Legends VII
kwik supports Team VICIOUS
kwik supports Pev's Paintball
kwik is Legendary
kwik supports Empire
macronlineguy, oringmonkey are both great e-tailers for getting PB lube at good prices.

Also support your local shop as much as you can, I get my 33 from them but they dont carry monkeypoo and last time I was there was out of 55 so I got those two from oringmonkey.

Also another source for oil is radioshack, they sell a oil with PTFE in a pen style applicator for a few bux, lasts a long time and the narrow tip makes it easier to apply a cpl drops to each oring when needed, it is a direct replacement for superlube I believe(correct me if im wrong)

ICD-Owners
Old 02-04-2013, 03:38 PM #42
paintballer187
187PB.COM

Annual Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a Moderator
paintballer187 is a Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a founding member
paintballer187 is BST Legit
paintballer187 works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
187 assumed that I had gotten a free sample and called be a liar. I was just trying to point out that it was not very 'mod like', especially when I had first suggested people pay for their lube. I was only referencing a thread from YEARS ago on here...

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2456595

I usually buy my lube from MacrolineGuy. I'm still waiting for my Dow33 to run out before I try Lurkers stuff. So I still support the small paintball companies too.
I didn't assume anything. You gave bad advice, I recommended against it. I wouldn't be doing my job as a mod if I let comments like that slide.
Closed Thread