PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-24-2013, 05:00 PM #1
Amsterdam666

Buying some new gear

Hey guys,

I am in the process of getting some new paintball gear. I have only played a few times so far and I mostly like to play woodsball. I live in WA state and it is usually cold outside. My local course has a small speedball field but quite a few woods areas too.

Anyways, here are some of the things I was looking to buy. Any thoughts would be welcome. Also, I decided I don't want to buy used gear for personal reasons. I am somewhat on a budget but basically I dont want to pay more than 300-400 for a gun. The rest of the upgrades I will buy as I can afford them.

Gun: GOG xTCy with blackheart board ($250)

Mask: Need some help with a decision here

JT Flex8 Thermal ($63)
JT Proflex ($74)
Empire E-flex ($110)
Empire Event ZN ($100)

Air Tank: Ninja Pro 68/4500 carbon fiber compressed air ($170)

Hopper: Basically I'm looking for something reliable and I like the Z2 feature that auto clears jams but is it really worth the price. I dont know what the virtue crown thing is.

Empire Prophecy Z2 ($180)
Empire Z2 Prophecy with virtue crown 2 speed feed ($215)
Empire Halo Too ($90)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be nice. I do not plan on ever playing tournaments. Just casual fun in the woods. My wife has a spyder m4 and I think it's pretty cool and accurate, but I am looking for something a little lighter that shoots just as far.
Amsterdam666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 PM #2
Amsterdam666

Another gun I was looking at was the Tippmann x7 phenom electro pneumatic ($400)
Old 01-24-2013, 05:28 PM #3
dyeeepaintballlllll

dyeeepaintballlllll owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dyeeepaintballlllll supports Team VICIOUS
dyeeepaintballlllll has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dyeeepaintballlllll supports DLX Technology
instead of the gog xtcy i suggest the 2011 pmr same price and i would take the rotor (150) instead of the prophecy and i would say the jt pro flex for the mask or grillz but thats just my opinion
dyeeepaintballlllll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:29 PM #4
Pbdude25
Baller

Pbdude25 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Pbdude25 supports Team VICIOUS
The xTCy is a great starting marker, but is more meant for recball. What's good though, is if u get the xTCy then you can use for speedball and woodsball. The x7 is pretty good aswell, so it's just your personal preferance of which you think feels better in your hands. Personally, I would choose the flex8, but try them on if you can at a proshop because it's not enjoyable using a mask that doesn't fit well.

With the hoppers, personally I don't think you would need a z2 for starting. It is more meant for experienced players that will go ramp happy :p. My buddy really likes his halo too, so I personally think you should go with that.

Also, feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Hope this helps you out

Pbdude25
Pbdude25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 PM #5
dantimpe

dantimpe owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dantimpe owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dantimpe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Well first question I feel you need to ask yourself is if you want to go to a more of a scenerio look with markers looking close to a really gun, or do you want something that when no one is playing in the woods you can join people on the "speedball" field so you don't waste a day of play waiting to go out in the woods. If you want the option of going to both sides with out losing an advantage than look into things like a etek, etha, or an axe. The virtue crown is not something you need unless you plan on doing a lot of speedball but by the way your talking you won't be.
dantimpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 PM #6
FalconPunchKid
St. Louis Hustle

Annual Supporting Member
FalconPunchKid is BST Legit
FalconPunchKid is playing at Living Legends VII
FalconPunchKid owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
FalconPunchKid plays in the APPA D4 division
FalconPunchKid supports DLX Technology
FalconPunchKid supports Empire
Go with the eflex. Great mask

Anthony Antle
FalconPunchKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:45 PM #7
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
I'd really take another look at buying used, but if you really want to buy new, I'd suggest the Invert Mini for $325. It's very light, the ergonomics are great (at least for me), it shoots nice, bucketload of upgrades, and fairly efficient.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 PM #8
Amsterdam666

Thanks for the replies guys.

When playing I get more enjoyment from playing on the woods courses and playing scenarios like alamo. I don't really care either way if my marker looks like an assault rifle or a regular paintball gun. Most of the people I play against are kids/teenagers that use the crappy rental stuff. I have a small group of friends that I work with that like to come out and they prefer woods as well, however at our course they make us rotate courses each round, so I play a fair amount on the speedball course too.

I really like the look of the eflex but in the masks forum a lot of people say that the thermal part of the mask blocks field of vision. Price is not a factor for me in getting a mask so I would just want something that I can use out of the box and have for a while.

I will look into your guys suggestions so far.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 PM #9
parasyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam666 View Post
I really like the look of the eflex but in the masks forum a lot of people say that the thermal part of the mask blocks field of vision. Price is not a factor for me in getting a mask so I would just want something that I can use out of the box and have for a while.
Absolutely the best thing you can do when buying a mask is go to a shop that sells them. Try on every single one that comes with a thermal lens. Look around with your eyes, look with your head, see how it breathes, and try talking to people and listening. You'll know which one you like best. Do try on all of them even when you have one that seems good, because there still might be a different one that is a bit better for you.

People have gun preferences and prejudices but some guns really are better than others, but with a mask they're all tested to the ATSM standard so the rest is entirely down to how it fits you personally.
parasyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 PM #10
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports DLX Technology
For masks, go to a shop and try some on. I highly recommend buying used on here or ebay or craigslist vs buying new. You can find a lot better deals on equipment used that are better than some of the options you listed for a cheaper price.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:34 PM #11
robotboy

robotboy is playing at Living Legends VII
robotboy owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
robotboy owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
robotboy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
yo

Go used. I wanted to buy new but picked up a z2 and a 68/4500 tank for 180. I have an Etha and its really sweet.
robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 PM #12
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
As others have said..... my biggest regret when getting back into it was buying a tank and hopper brand new. I will NEVER buy a brand new hopper again unless I'm at a field and mine randomly blows to pieces or breaks and I have to.

When you're at your price point with guns, I wouldn't really buy used either. A lot of times people that dont know what the F they are doing purchase them, try to "work" on or "mod" them. End up with a paper weight and ditch it off to another new guy who has nothing but headaches with it.

1/1 Factory Acid wash green splashed luxe... Cheap.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4281337
rexisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:28 AM #13
Amsterdam666

I have to come to the conclusion that I am going to buy a mask, hopper and tank all at once. I will get a gun later in May. I can use the new parts on my wife's spyder mr4 for now. After more research I will buy a good marker.

My decisions so far are:

Mask: JT Flex8 Thermal Camo color ($63) [As long as I have no fogging problems I will be totally happy]

Tank: Ninja Pro 68/4500 carbon fiber compressed air ($170) [Seems like a good tank that will meet most needs I will be having]

Hopper: Empire Invert Halo Too SE Camo color ($90) [Unless enough of you have any negatives about this product, seems like good bang for the buck]

As for the gun I am completely open to suggestions
Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 AM #14
jdub2k5

jdub2k5 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jdub2k5 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
pick up a used halo much cheaper... people on my field have sold me 3 now for 20 each.

you can get a like new ninja tank for 100 bucks(I did using this forum)

I am still sold on sly profits (the most comfortable mask I have ever worn)

no longer supporting EMPIRE because they have terrible customer service and even worse paint
jdub2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:49 AM #15
Dan0102

Annual Supporting Member
Dan0102 is BST Trusted
Dan0102 supports Team VICIOUS
hmmmm my 2cents:

-Mask; between the three "high-end" masks you mentioned, the differences are style, and fit. pro-flexes tend to be favored by people with larger heads, and someone else will have to chime in on the fit of empire masks (I wear i4's because they accommodate my smaller head), but the key here is fit since all the high-end masks are designed not to fog, and they all pass the safety tests... so find the mask that fits and you won't be looking back.

-Hopper; please don't wasted your time or money buying a low-end hopper brand new. Get the real deal, the prophecy is great, (I love my Rotor), I've heard great things about the spire too. Reason here is that you will never need to buy a new one (hoppers seem to last forever, mine is several years old and sees weekly play). In 6 months, as you're shopping around for a better hopper, you will realize that you wasted whatever you spent buying a Halo Too.

-Tank; You're doing the right thing by going with the carbon fiber (CF) 4500psi tank. The reason for this is, like the high end masks and hoppers, these high-end items retain their resale value.

Just my opinion though...
Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 AM #16
FalconPunchKid
St. Louis Hustle

Annual Supporting Member
FalconPunchKid is BST Legit
FalconPunchKid is playing at Living Legends VII
FalconPunchKid owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
FalconPunchKid plays in the APPA D4 division
FalconPunchKid supports DLX Technology
FalconPunchKid supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub2k5 View Post
pick up a used halo much cheaper... people on my field have sold me 3 now for 20 each.

you can get a like new ninja tank for 100 bucks(I did using this forum)

I am still sold on sly profits (the most comfortable mask I have ever worn)
Only downside to the profits is you can't hear a damn thing.

Anthony Antle
FalconPunchKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 AM #17
cab0053

Halo with a rip drive is a good idea. No need for the expensive hoppers like the z2, rotor, and spire
cab0053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 AM #18
jdub2k5

jdub2k5 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jdub2k5 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconPunchKid View Post
whats that you say?

no longer supporting EMPIRE because they have terrible customer service and even worse paint
jdub2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:19 AM #19
ttimberlak443
aaaaaaaand its gone

ttimberlak443 supports Team VICIOUS
ttimberlak443 posts videos on PbNation
ttimberlak443 plays in the APPA beginner division
ttimberlak443 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
For the marker, the GoG eXTCy will do perfectly fine, especially for recball.

The tank is a great choice, although I don't see a NEED on the Pro. A regular Ninja reg is fine, but if you want to spend the extra money on the Pro then go for it.

As for the loader, Halos are fantastic along with V3 Rotors, Spires and Z2's. The problem with the Rotor, Spire, and Z2 is that they are expensive. Empire just released the Empire Scion. It is basically a Z2 in a Halo shell, only this shell is actually durable. Brand new, this thing is only $99.99. The biggest difference between this and the "high end" loaders is it sits a little bit higher and it doesn't have tool-less dis-assembly. If you look around, you might be able to find a used one.
ttimberlak443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 AM #20
ilikeike
Nice

Annual Supporting Member
ilikeike plays in the PSP
ilikeike plays in the APPA D4 division
Mask I would go with proflex

Gun- extcy is a mighty fine gun for the price

Loader- If you got the cash get a spire or rotor (not a z2) if not halo too is pretty good

Tank- good choice with the ninja

The rest is just whatever you want to spend
ilikeike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 PM #21
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconPunchKid View Post
True
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam666 View Post
I have to come to the conclusion that I am going to buy a mask, hopper and tank all at once. I will get a gun later in May. I can use the new parts on my wife's spyder mr4 for now. After more research I will buy a good marker.

My decisions so far are:

Mask: JT Flex8 Thermal Camo color ($63) [As long as I have no fogging problems I will be totally happy]

Tank: Ninja Pro 68/4500 carbon fiber compressed air ($170) [Seems like a good tank that will meet most needs I will be having]

Hopper: Empire Invert Halo Too SE Camo color ($90) [Unless enough of you have any negatives about this product, seems like good bang for the buck]

As for the gun I am completely open to suggestions
You can buy a used high end hopper for that price. Don't waste $90 on a Halo Too
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote