Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 10:54 PM #1
Twaltz628
newb for 8 yrs & counting
 
Twaltz628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NC
Annual Supporting Member
Twaltz628 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Twaltz628 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Twaltz628 supports Empire
What is pump play all about?

I've looked around but haven't found quite what I'm looking for.
I'm wondering what pump paintball is all about. I would say purpose but It's not the right wording, I know it's for fun. I've seen guys using dm12 switch up and play pump for the rest of the day. Is it similar to training or is it something completely different, or both? Btw this thread isn't intended anyone who plays pump for their style of play. I don't think it's dumb, I just want to understand it better.
Twaltz628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2013, 12:20 AM #2
Trigger Finger
Yetipb.com
 
Trigger Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northampton, PA
Trigger Finger has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Trigger Finger has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Trigger Finger has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Trigger Finger is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twaltz628 View Post
I've looked around but haven't found quite what I'm looking for.
I'm wondering what pump paintball is all about. I would say purpose but It's not the right wording, I know it's for fun. I've seen guys using dm12 switch up and play pump for the rest of the day. Is it similar to training or is it something completely different, or both? Btw this thread isn't intended anyone who plays pump for their style of play. I don't think it's dumb, I just want to understand it better.
its about making every shot count. you will learn how to snap shoot better by playing pump. you also need to move around more because your not able to over power people running electros. The biggest thing i learned from playing pump was that you need to trust in your abilities and play smarter than your opponent.
__________________
Reverse Poison 2K12 Bob Long G6R
DP G3 Spec r W/ Techt Bolt Engine, VP Deuce Trigger, and a 7E OLED Board
2K2 Vert. Feed Autococker W/ CCM Pump Kit and Gat Products A/T

My Gear Bag Sale!!! Click Me!
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 AM #3
Kbug
O.M.G.
 
Kbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Misawa, Japan
Kbug owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Kbug supports Team VICIOUS
Kbug has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Kbug supports Empire
I started playing pump just because it was something different and fun. But after I started, I noticed that my snap shooting got better, I use a lot less paint (now I can afford to play more often), and I usually get more people out. I still do play with my electro sometimes, and I've noticed that I've gotten a little better at playing with it since I started playing pump too.
__________________
Obama Must Go

Kbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:39 PM #4
pballer0303
shreddin the gnar
 
pballer0303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Duluth
pballer0303 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Above points are right on. The biggest thing for me is the fact that you cant shoot your way out of a tight spot. With an electro, if you get pinned in or are in an exposed spot you can hold people in with pure volume of fire. With a pump you have to think your way out of tight spots because you cant hide behind a wall of paint.
pballer0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:45 PM #5
Pyrate Jim
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: the group W bench
To me, it's just about the fun.
But to use an analogy;
Olympic runners will use leg weights to practice. This "handicaps" them & forces them to enhance their inherent skills and when they take off the legweights (or remove the handicap) their legs seem to fly & their natural perfomance is improved.

Using a pump is one of those self-imposed handicaps, like learning to run with weights. Once you remove the handicap of low firepower by moving up to semi or electro, those "natural skills" learned when playing pump come to the forefront & are merely enhanced through advanced technology.

It's easy for a pump player to move up to semi ~ it ain't so easy for a semi player to drop down to using a pump.
__________________
CT co-ordinator, Paintball Marshals
A stockgun club since 1992, now in 16 States & Canada
http://www.pbmarshals.com/
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
http://www.paintball-pti.com/
Pyrate Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:38 PM #6
EliteGeek91
I'ma 'Bout My Bizniz
 
EliteGeek91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central, TX
EliteGeek91 is BST Trusted
EliteGeek91 is playing at Living Legends VI
EliteGeek91 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
EliteGeek91 supports Team VICIOUS
EliteGeek91 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Yeah, it's kinda like "One In The Chamber" on Black Ops.

I'm not saying speedball isn't "skill", but obviously it's more "spray & pray", whereas pump is really using movement, shot accuracy, and stealth approaches to get the upper-hand in the game.

Very fun for a change.
__________________
Live Fast, Die Young.
EliteGeek91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 PM #7
Twaltz628
newb for 8 yrs & counting
 
Twaltz628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NC
Annual Supporting Member
Twaltz628 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Twaltz628 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Twaltz628 supports Empire
Thanks for the insight guys. Everything said does make sense. Now I'm a little interested in giving it a try. Might be something I try in the near future.
Twaltz628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:53 PM #8
Kbug
O.M.G.
 
Kbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Misawa, Japan
Kbug owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Kbug supports Team VICIOUS
Kbug has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Kbug supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twaltz628 View Post
Thanks for the insight guys. Everything said does make sense. Now I'm a little interested in giving it a try. Might be something I try in the near future.
You definitely should try it. Ask some pump players at your field if you can try out their marker (I always let people shoot my pump when they ask)
__________________
Obama Must Go

Kbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:02 PM #9
die.another.day
 
 
die.another.day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteGeek91 View Post
Yeah, it's kinda like "One In The Chamber" on Black Ops.

I'm not saying speedball isn't "skill", but obviously it's more "spray & pray", whereas pump is really using movement, shot accuracy, and stealth approaches to get the upper-hand in the game.

Very fun for a change.
Please NEVER EVER AGAIN relate paintball to a video game
die.another.day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 PM #10
Kbug
O.M.G.
 
Kbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Misawa, Japan
Kbug owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Kbug supports Team VICIOUS
Kbug has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Kbug supports Empire
Haha, a little while back there were a couple kids at my field. They were renting and during one of the woodsball games I heard one of them yell "This is just like Halo 4!"
__________________
Obama Must Go

Kbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM #11
holden_raisinbread
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
holden_raisinbread is playing at Living Legends VI
holden_raisinbread owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I bought a pump gun recently and i know that same feeling
holden_raisinbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 PM #12
die.another.day
 
 
die.another.day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbug View Post
Haha, a little while back there were a couple kids at my field. They were renting and during one of the woodsball games I heard one of them yell "This is just like Halo 4!"
Lmfao this
die.another.day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 AM #13
natepb96
Sneaky Sneaky
 
natepb96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I was using a pump all summer and then the last day of the season, last match, I used my mech and it felt so different but my snapshooting was on point and it felt amazing.
__________________
SnEaKy SnEaKy
natepb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM #14
loneassassin
A Grim and...
 
loneassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ..Frostbitten Kingdom
I play pump because I love the simplicity and "lightweightedness" of all the gear -- it's refreshing. I also use it to help myself save paint during the day. I still play semi as well and am just as skilled with one of those. The only difference is that with my semis I have a better chance of getting at least one break on somebody.

There are people who will say they "can't" play with a semi, or are much "better" with a pump. I don't understand that. If you can play well with a pump gun, you'll play well with a semi, and probably get more people out.
__________________
Death Before Dishonor
My favorite instrument of death:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P2220160.jpg

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 PM #15
Zepulkinator
Epic Purple Dude
 
Zepulkinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The 'Dookie, IL
Zepulkinator plays in the PSP
Zepulkinator supports Team VICIOUS
Zepulkinator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Zepulkinator is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post
I play pump because I love the simplicity and "lightweightedness" of all the gear -- it's refreshing. I also use it to help myself save paint during the day. I still play semi as well and am just as skilled with one of those. The only difference is that with my semis I have a better chance of getting at least one break on somebody.

There are people who will say they "can't" play with a semi, or are much "better" with a pump. I don't understand that. If you can play well with a pump gun, you'll play well with a semi, and probably get more people out.
This strands from playing with a "pump" or "semi" mindset.

What I mean by that is they think if you have a pump gun you should be able to take one shot and that one **** will hit anything you aim at. The semi mindset is shoot a lot of paint and you're doing it right. From what I get..
__________________
Zepulkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 AM #16
loneassassin
A Grim and...
 
loneassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ..Frostbitten Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepulkinator View Post
This strands from playing with a "pump" or "semi" mindset.

What I mean by that is they think if you have a pump gun you should be able to take one shot and that one **** will hit anything you aim at. The semi mindset is shoot a lot of paint and you're doing it right. From what I get..

Lol, I think I play semi with a "pump" mindset, and probably always have.
__________________
Death Before Dishonor
My favorite instrument of death:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P2220160.jpg

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:24 AM #17
0102030405
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Pump is akin driving stick, grilling with charcoal or fly-fishing in a fast-paced, technologically-marvelous world of ours.

It's not really about the result but what is done to get there. The reason why everyone has a different answer is because everyone has a different reason to play that way like in the different reasons people do things in the examples above. Some like to drive stick because they like the feel of being more in control of the car, some like it because it's makes them feel more connected to the car. Either way, what they aren't is finding an empirical reason for choosing it over an automatic such and efficiency or performance. There are faster ways to catch fish then fly-fishing but clearly, feeding oneself is not the point of the activity. Grilling with gas...I can get onboard with that because I've ruined more food then I've cooked with charcoal.

So why people shoot pumps in-lue of a highly sophisticated semi are for those intangibles. Unless you play in the upper echelons of competitive circles, chances are, you're also playing for those intangibles. If the point is to merely win, every game in walk-ons or shoot the most amount of kids each day, pump is not probably for you because those ARE the empirical results, one can't (likely) have by shooting pump. But if you like spending time setting up a shot or out-playing an opponent with your wit and skills, pump might be what liberates you from letting your gun drive. Or it can be that feeling of clarity when releasing the perfectly timed ball that, or simply the feeling of not being encumbered by all that paint, hopper, tubes, game after game.

In summary, why people play pump is more a question about why people play paintball in general. Playing pump has a way or revealing those answers. To "Know thy(paintball)self" as it were.
__________________
I really don't care what you shoot.
0102030405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 AM #18
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*
 
Castro #66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
The short answer for me is "Shooting bad guys".

I get lazy with anything faster.
__________________
Certified Master Airsmith
Airsmithing & 3rd Party Shipping - PM for details
Can't we all just play Paintball?


Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:21 PM #19
Zepulkinator
Epic Purple Dude
 
Zepulkinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The 'Dookie, IL
Zepulkinator plays in the PSP
Zepulkinator supports Team VICIOUS
Zepulkinator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Zepulkinator is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post
Lol, I think I play semi with a "pump" mindset, and probably always have.
I do too.

For me pump is about being the underestimated as well as having the skill to back it up.

It's forcing yourself to make that one shot count, and it hitting the target when all your opponent sees is a quick flash of your gun and mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0102030405 View Post
Pump is akin driving stick, grilling with charcoal or fly-fishing in a fast-paced, technologically-marvelous world of ours.

It's not really about the result but what is done to get there. The reason why everyone has a different answer is because everyone has a different reason to play that way like in the different reasons people do things in the examples above. Some like to drive stick because they like the feel of being more in control of the car, some like it because it's makes them feel more connected to the car. Either way, what they aren't is finding an empirical reason for choosing it over an automatic such and efficiency or performance. There are faster ways to catch fish then fly-fishing but clearly, feeding oneself is not the point of the activity. Grilling with gas...I can get onboard with that because I've ruined more food then I've cooked with charcoal.

So why people shoot pumps in-lue of a highly sophisticated semi are for those intangibles. Unless you play in the upper echelons of competitive circles, chances are, you're also playing for those intangibles. If the point is to merely win, every game in walk-ons or shoot the most amount of kids each day, pump is not probably for you because those ARE the empirical results, one can't (likely) have by shooting pump. But if you like spending time setting up a shot or out-playing an opponent with your wit and skills, pump might be what liberates you from letting your gun drive. Or it can be that feeling of clarity when releasing the perfectly timed ball that, or simply the feeling of not being encumbered by all that paint, hopper, tubes, game after game.

In summary, why people play pump is more a question about why people play paintball in general. Playing pump has a way or revealing those answers. To "Know thy(paintball)self" as it were.
And that pretty much sums it up...
__________________
Zepulkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:01 PM #20
Twaltz628
newb for 8 yrs & counting
 
Twaltz628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NC
Annual Supporting Member
Twaltz628 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Twaltz628 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Twaltz628 supports Empire
0102030405, that actually made sense. Thanks (wo)man. I'm hoping someone at my local field will let try out theirs next time I'm out. I'm actually pretty interested I. Giving it a try.
__________________
Insert funny, witty, inspirational or sales signature here.
Twaltz628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 PM #21
noclue119
D3 to D4 in.... never
 
noclue119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Annual Supporting Member
noclue119 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
noclue119 supports Team VICIOUS
noclue119 supports Empire
I play pump so I can convert more electro shooting people to play pump. I am getting to the point where we can actually have a pump day.

They don't know it yet but the next pump day I set up, I am going to overshoot every one of them with my electro. It will be for all those time I got bonus balled when I had a pump and they had electros.

Yes revenge 3 years in the planning.
noclue119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump