PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-30-2013, 04:37 PM #1
Trevor

has been a member for 10 years
Exclamation Revisited - eBay Scandals

Many of you saw my thread several weeks ago regarding the warnings/tips of buying and selling on eBay. It was a good discussion and shed a lot of light upon the scoundrels. Before I get started, I just want to thank a lot of you folks for chiming in regarding the different topics.

Now, some of you know that I was keeping some identities and practices in the dark so as to protect those sellers. Other people knew exactly who I was referring to. Although this will probably harm me, I'm hoping it will help most of you more. The seller's eBay name is nrunkle with 666 feedback (in case he changes it). He also has another eBay username with over 1000 feedback, but I can't seem to find it right now. His username on here is nlrunkle. He's from Monroeville, Indianna. He is the shill bidding extraordinaire and most recently, the guy who breaks the gun you sold him and requests money.

Please take a look at his bidding history for the items he has sold in the past (advanced search - seller id - completed listings). What you will find is a shill bidding pattern that involves 2-3 different usernames with less than 7 feebacks bidding up his items. It resembles a leap-frog effect. For some reason, I was unable to bid on his items with my fake username though (also low feedback) . Have you ever seen the same gun listed with the same pictures by the same seller right after the auction was completed and sold? Sometimes this happens with non-paying bidders, but this guy's luck is less than anomylous. This is because his shill bid won the auction back. In order to avoid final values fees, he just requests to cancel the sale and has his shill bid accept the request. Now, you may say "only bid what you are willing to pay." My response is two fold - 1.) It is strictly forbidden to practice shill bidding as per eBay rules and 2.) it is very unrespectable and unfair to buyers. Some of his guns/sales come from us... the respectable people that do not shill bid our items. So he'll win your gun on eBay and then resell it to make 10-15% by way of shill bidding.

This segways into my next topic - the Eclipse Angel LED I sold on eBay. I aquired an Eclipse LED for a decent price, but I already have a LNIB Eclipse LED so I decided to sell this extra one. The gun worked fine, but I like to go through all of my guns and scrub out all those years of buildup from naive or lazy owners. It's the same satisfaction car enthusiasts have when fixing up old garage or field finds. I like seeing these decade old guns shooting as good or better than the day they were sold for $1200-1600. It brings a smile to my face thinking about how the new owner is going to really surprise people at their field and have a cool talking point. I have probably rebuilt over 20 LED/LCD Angels by now. I can do it with my eyes closed. I owe my thanks to a couple members on here and other forums because I did not learn it by myself.
Anyways, so I completely overhauled this Eclipse LED and it was sawing like a chainsaw. Some of you probably remember seeing my video on here. It was shooting around 14bps which is pretty good for an LED on semi. I threw it up on eBay as a "used, but functional" angel - no returns, all sales are final. Low and behold nrunkle bought it for like $140. This is low for an eclipse, but it lacked some original parts, whatever it will make someone happy. Then I had a surprise Appendix surgery on the 1st of January, so I was unable to ship the item for several days. I still think nrunkle received it before the "eBay ship window." The guy gets it and sends me a message saying it is leaking. At that point I was kicking myself for listing it as "used, but functional" because I got burned by a buyer in the past in a similar situation. This is all the while he listed it for sale on eBay already. I trouble shooted the problem as much as possible with the guy, but everything he was saying sounded really odd, i.e., a hole in the LPR. I figured I would probably end up with the gun after this guy does an eBay/PayPal dispute... so I just offered to do a refund before he tears this gun apart (similar to my past eBay burn). He didn't want to do the refund so I kept trying to help him with the problem. He kept claiming he had "Angel Techs" working on the gun, but they didn't even know you could swap in an LCD LPR to replace an LED's LPR. They were trying to source an LED LPR from all over the country... real Angel Techs huh
This dude was really squirming to get money off of me, but I knew he boogered up gun. I even aired the gun up and shot it with two different air systems before I shipped it.

Bottom line
  • This guy is shill bidding all of his auctions.
  • He lacks angel techin'ing knowledge and is therefore unreputable when it comes to discussing problems or testing guns.
  • He attempts to squeeze extra money out of sellers by way of his own ignorance.
  • He has been known to stealthily lowball users on here.
  • He can't fire a marker faster than 3bps

It is to my understanding from his posts in the past that he has acquired a large portion of WDP's old US stock. That's probably where a lot of his stuff comes from.

For those of you that have had a good experience with this guy, I'm happy for you. Everyone else, take what you need from this and do as you please.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 PM #2
kill-n-spree
MythicalAngelPumpWeilder

Called out. Let see what he has to say. I never heard of shill bidding even though I have been buying on Ebay since they started. I knew there had to be people bidding up there own stuff or they ask there buddies. Pretty hard to prove that is what is going on. Looks like he is selling your LED on Ebay now. It looks like he fixed the leaky LPR. Nice Anno on that LED.
COBRA G7,Angel 1,Master tech Angel Force Fly,Angel Gat,Custom Angel Led ,2000 LCD Angel Pump,2k1 Dark Angel,04 Angel Speed,C&C Angel IR3,Ice Fade G7 Fly,DM4,Eblade,Grey Ghost,PGP,2006 Grey Ghost,BLong Cocker,Angel G7,Cobra Mamba FLY,2K1 Angel Fly,Rasta G7 Fly,Dark 2K3 Angel,Euro Angel,2k2 Apollo Angel,2k1 Cobra signature series,Rev-i,Angel IR3 Fly,Disco Dust Dark IR3,05 Speed,KP3 Piranha Rifle,Rasta A4 Fly

Angel Army

Last edited by kill-n-spree : 01-30-2013 at 06:26 PM.
kill-n-spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM #3
Trevor

Yeah, I don't have a problem with him or anyone reselling items. You can be sure he'll shill bid it though. If you examine the bidding history on his items, you can see a trend where people sneak in and bump the price up. They hardly ever win, but when they do, the item gets relisted. Who's to say bids aren't being retracted by the shill or cancelled by the seller too.

*I almost forgot to mention that if you look at the bidding history, you can see the the shill bidders statistics. It will say what percentage of bids are related to a certain seller. So in his case, you can see his shill bidders bidding are very very partial to his auctions. Of course after I post this he will bid on a bunch of other auctions to take down the percentage.

He fixed the LPR after I told him an LCD one would fit and work. God only knows what he did to the old one.

I haven't left him feedback yet, but I'm sure he'll find a loophole to erase any negative/neutral feedback if that's what I decide to leave. He left me "positive" feedback, but what he wrote was negative. I'm still undecided on what I will leave.

Last edited by Trevor : 01-30-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 PM #4
Trevor

Here are two guns that he shilled with the same username (he's slipping up). Look at the bidding stats... 25% of 84 bids were on nrunkle's items:

The links won't post properly. Look up the bidding statistics for the following two completed items from nrunkle and then look for a bidder that has 4 feedbacks and click their name for the bidding statistics.

Item description: Item Title: Angel LED Planet Eclipse WDP Paintball Marker Gun Limited Edition Air America NR

Item description: Item Title: Angel A4 Paintball Marker Gun WDP Luxe Mini Etek DP Eclipse Matrix G6R Free Ship

That's only one username. I've seen others that were over 25% with a large amount of bids.

Last edited by Trevor : 01-30-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 PM #5
Carapace
+KA-B00M+

Annual Supporting Member
Carapace is a Supporting Member
I've bought stuff from that guy before and I must admit, his auctions have always been shady... not description wise, but bidding wise *like you're describing*...
Carapace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 PM #6
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

With all the info you have, you may want to report his listings. Shill bidding is against eBay policy and they ask you to report it: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...l-bidding.html
dr.strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 PM #7
Trevor

I'm thinking about it, but I feel as though he would just tweak his system so as to avoid "catching a hanger."
Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 AM #8
nlrunkle
Summit City PaintballPark

nlrunkle has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Wow, glad I found this. Ok, so this is me chiming in now. Nice post, but i have 2 Ebay accounts and that is it, nlrunkle with over 3,000 positive feedback and nrunkle with over 670 feedback. If I were shilling bidding, Ebay would have stopped it and suspended my accounts. And I believe that selling paintball gear to 18 to 20 somethings and holding a 100% feedback rating is pretty good. OH wait, what's your feedback score? Oh yea, that's right it's a 92.9%. I truely wish I would know all the facts before posting this but hey, what can you do. I purchased that LED off of you in "working" condition.

Upon putting air to it, it had an internal leak. I pulled apart the reg and flash tank to see if it was an easy fix with just an o-ring, it wasn't. I didn't want to go any further with it because I have 4 other Angels torn apart for repair, so I took it in to Jay. But in the mean time, I did take photos of it and the video of it shooting and listed it on Ebay for sale because I thought it would be an easy fix. Well Jay said that it was the LPR, the LPR needed replacing. He didn't have one, he called Bob, Bob didn't have one. Jay is placing an order for some Angel parts for himself, Bob and me from Frazier and I asked if he could see if he had one. So, I ended the Eclipse auction because I did not want it selling with a leak when I said it was in perfect working condition. In the meantime, I received an original LCD in the mail. Pulled the LPR assembly pop it in the Eclipse and the leak went away. So that is why it is back up for sale. Jay also told me that the o-rings on the LPR had not been re-placed like you stated when you sold it to me. And like I said to you before, I trust Jay. Jay has been a close friend for 15 years and for you to call his integrity into question and his ability to work on Angel's, that pissed me off. So, much so that I've thought of going to him and asking him not to take an orders from you if you place them. But business is business, maybe I can just suggest that he starts charging you double since he really doesn't know what he's doing.

The Eclipse your talking about sold and was never paid for. I waited the 4 days, opened a non-paying bidder case, waited, re-listed it, got my selling fees back, left him negative feedback as a positive though!!, and it sold the second time, but unlike the first time, this time the buyer paid for it. Because you can't leave negative feedback anymore as a seller!! And I can technically get in trouble with Ebay for leaving negative feedbacks as positives but I do it because I want other sellers to be aware of that bidders paying history. And then they can make the decision of whether to block or cancel their bids. Stupid Ebay.

A4 I am unsure of, it probably is a re-list, at this point it's not worth my time to go back and look. I will say this, that is why I have my auction terms stated as they are. Because Ebay changed their policy on negative feedback for buyers, more and more people bid with no intention of paying. You didn't mention the tank that I had listed 4 different times!! That's right 4 times before the last time it sold the bidder actually paid for it. I have probably have 5 auctions a month that go unpaid. Half of it is Ebay's policy, the other half is the category.

Paintball....selling to kids that may are may not pay you. If I sell my computer parts or Harley Davidson parts, don't have that problem. They usually pay right away. Heck, I just got an IR3 in the mail yesterday that I sold back in December. He wanted to return it because his local PB store told him that he could have gotten a newer, better gun for the same money. I don't have to return it, it's been a month, but you know what, I did, why? First, to make the customer happy, Secondly because of what he paid for it and what their going for right now, I think I can make a little more on it, i.e. that's code for shill bidding, just in case you didn't know. I'm taking all the risk in buying up these broken, run down Angel's and getting them back to working condition before selling them. Yes, that's right, I said working and none leaking condition!! When they leave my house they are ready for the field. Some Angel's I buy, some I don't because they go for too much money, not enough meat on the bones. I enjoy doing this, I have fun doing it, but I'm not going to do it for free or at a loss for that matter.

So, I am sure that in my rant I have forgotten a few things, so please, if there are any comments, questions, suggestions please feel free to jump in.
And again I do apologize if any of this is off base, but Trevor you really did piss me off, not so much about the Eclipse leaking, but about what was said about Jay. I have no problem defending my honor, it speaks for itself, but I will stand up for my friends.
And if you have a case and think I'm shill bidding, report it. I have been on Ebay since 2001 with 100% feedback. Just suck it up and admit that the Eclipse leaked when you sold it to me. But you know what, I really don't care, because it's fixed now, still need an LPR for the other one, but the Eclipse is fixed.

Last edited by nlrunkle : 01-31-2013 at 11:36 AM.
nlrunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 AM #9
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is a Supporting Member
Vegard is a founding member
Vegard is Boss
For the love of god, use some paragraphs!
Until then few if any are going to read that.

Feedback-Feedback-Feedback
I'm from Norway and I smell like a Polar Bear
-growing older is mandatory – growing up is optional-

WTB 2k2 Dragon Intimidator WTB
Vegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 AM #10
nlrunkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carapace View Post
I've bought stuff from that guy before and I must admit, his auctions have always been shady... not description wise, but bidding wise *like you're describing*...
An as far looking shady bidding wise, I do my best to protect my honest bidders. Go back and look at all my auctions and see how many bids I canceled because they had zero or below 10 on their feedback. I do that because it has been my experience that that person will not pay, they are just on there screwing around. And that hurts my business because then the honest bidders will not bid because they see some wacko on their just running them up or bidding 20 times to go from $10 to $25.
Hey, you know what, go look at the A1 I just sold for $180. Buyer already left positive feedback. I bought it 4-5 months ago for $177.50. It's been sitting because it needed new eyes and I wanted to sell it in "fully working condition". Well someone else already had that idea, but they stripped out the allen head. That's why it's been sitting for so long. Well, finally drilled the head off, got it apart and come to find out, a marker that I paid almost $180 for needed a solenoid, which I had, new eyes $30, new valve, new o-rings and then the put it back together and the ram leaked. Guess what, I happen to have a ram that I bought off of sledneckforlife007, about a month ago as a spare for $30. Guess what he tested, it works, it's good to go. I never tested it, I trusted him. I grab it, drop it in this A1, it leaks. So, now I'm out $30 on a "good" ram. I buy a brand new magno ram from Jay for $65. Drop it in, gun works flawlessly. So, I'm into this marker for almost $300, please tell me why I didn't bid it up? Why would I take a $100 loss? Mainly because I wanted to get it off of the shelf and at least recoup some of my investment.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 AM #11
nlrunkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
For the love of god, use some paragraphs!
Until then few if any are going to read that.
Better?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 AM #12
Trevor

My confidence level in that led after the overhaul/tune was so high that I thought to myself... who could fubar this gun just by airing it up. When I listed the auction I made sure to state that reading the enclosed manual and using the proper air system was highly advised. I went against my gut and listed it as a working gun. Somehow you managed to booger it up though.

I'm sure you have non-paying bidders - we all do, but the bidding statistics don't lie. Here is a tip if you are going to keep shill bidding... make sure you bid on a bunch of other items so that the bidding percentage on your seller name is washed out by a large denominator

In regards to ebay stopping you, do some reading on an ebay seller named wolverine24. Much like the other rackets you are into selling (baseball cards and computer parts), wolverine24 makes a living out of shill bidding and ebay can't touch him. I believe they shut down his account once, but he effortlessly returned. This brings up another interesting shill bidding scheme. It's sometimes referred to as consignment shill bidding. The seller sells items for other people as long as they use their own usernames to place the shill bid. Look it up, it might be another approach you can take.

As far as your Angel Techs go, you're attempting to oust me by way of a fallacy called "Appeal to Authority." You have no idea how to tech and angel - god have mercy on the 4 angels that are in pieces on your workbench. You are attempting to justify your leaks by way of Jay. The problem is you have no idea what he is talking about. A hole in the LPR , it's like saying a guitar is broken because it has a hole in the middle. Jay probably knows what he is doing, but I am still baffled you couldn't figure out an LCD lpr will fit and work in an LED. I have a sneaking suspicion you were trying to wring money out of my wallet.

I'll be sure to watch all of your auctions and keep these threads updated with your usernames and such. BTW, I will also flag every one of your auctions that uses keyword spamming. I won't do it to anyone else though
Old 01-31-2013, 11:41 AM #13
Intern1

Annual Supporting Member
Intern1 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Intern1 supports Empire
Uh oh you just called out Sled....
Intern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:47 AM #14
nlrunkle

Yes, I know blame it on me, it's my fault, I boogered it up. It's always easier to blame the other guy than accept the responsibility yourself.

So, fine I boogered it up, Happy! I admitted to something that I did not do but that does not give you the right to slander me and accuse me of something that you have no idea what your talking about.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 AM #15
nlrunkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intern1 View Post
Uh oh you just called out Sled....
Yep, he knows. I already emailed him last week when I went to drop in that ram and it leaked. He said it worked when it left him. That's my fault for not testing it out right when I got it and instead sitting it in my spare parts for when I did need it.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 AM #16
sledneckforlife
EastCoastAngel

Annual Supporting Member
Nathan, you should just take your beating an walk away. As for the ram, your a ****ing moron. I had an a1 at the time that I used to test that . Don't worry though, your officially on the blacklist of more than a few angel collectors and buyers. I got one was never surprised to see your name come up on shill accounts. And your not concerned about a few "suspicious" transactions. You should be.

Thank you for your business though on a few occasions.

For all your angel repair needs

978-530-6747
sledneckforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 AM #17
Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlrunkle View Post
Hey, you know what, go look at the A1 I just sold for $180. Buyer already left positive feedback. I bought it 4-5 months ago for $177.50.
Let me guess, you bought it for $177.50, but then you told the seller that it had more problems than what he stated and gave him a repair estimate for $150?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:57 AM #18
nlrunkle

Yep, that's right, that's exactly what I did, because I have nothing better to do with my time or energy.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 AM #19
Trevor

I've been burned in the past by gun sales, but that was only a small portion of this thread. It's the overall methodology in how you are abusing the Angel enthusiasts through the niche you developed that upsets me. My point with this thread and the previous one was to watch out for guys like you. The active pbn angel members on here add insight and enrich the hobby... you are just the guy in the background ruining it.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:03 PM #20
Trevor

Quote:
Yep, that's right, that's exactly what I did, because I have nothing better to do with my time or energy.
Sarcasm?
Here is an except from an eBay message you sent me:
"I sell paintball items all day long and have 100% feedback,"

Last edited by Trevor : 01-31-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 PM #21
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is a Supporting Member
Vegard is a founding member
Vegard is Boss
Quote:
slander
When written it's libel.