liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
liquidfiretibby is BST Legit
liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i love how the anti-ramping guys seem to think that once you touch the trigger it just starts going at 12.5 and doesnt stop. you CAN one ball in ramping (LONEASSASSIN). again the term trigger control comes into play. I can be quiet and only shoot when i need to while ramping. i can hide just as well as a semi player and i can conserve my paint just as well too.

United
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:28 PM #44
ShadowRam

I would actually play Speedball if everyone was limited to their hopper only.

That way, who cares how fast someone is shooting.

Big Hopper? Big Target. It's a trade off.

With less balls flying through the air, maybe people would have the guts to move around a bit.

Might be a bit more interesting to watch, instead of a bunch of people hiding behind a bunker 95% of the game.
ShadowRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:28 PM #45
Bump_Pitch

Bump_Pitch owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Bump_Pitch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bump_Pitch has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bump_Pitch has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRam View Post

With less balls flying through the air, maybe people would have the guts to move around a bit.

Might be a bit more interesting to watch, instead of a bunch of people hiding behind a bunker 95% of the game.
That's what pump is all about,

but if these use pods then why don't you use pods?
Bump_Pitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:38 PM #46
Nic#27
change the equation

Nic#27 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Nic#27 supports DLX Technology
If you think that differing between ramp and semi makes a difference in skill, you suck at paintball.
/thread
Nic#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 PM #47
BabyFace

BabyFace supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic#27 View Post
If you think that differing between ramp and semi makes a difference in skill, you suck at paintball.
/thread

any skilled player can shoot faster than 12.5 bps in semi... both hands.

Last edited by BabyFace : 02-19-2013 at 05:32 PM.
BabyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:40 PM #48
Xcel1989

xc

ds ds
Xcel1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 PM #49
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfiretibby View Post
i love how the anti-ramping guys seem to think that once you touch the trigger it just starts going at 12.5 and doesnt stop. you CAN one ball in ramping (LONEASSASSIN). again the term trigger control comes into play. I can be quiet and only shoot when i need to while ramping. i can hide just as well as a semi player and i can conserve my paint just as well too.
I certainly didn't imply that, and it certainly is possible to one-ball with ramping (but how many people actually do it? ). My personal dislike for ramping comes from my own experience USING it -- sure, if you practice control you can shoot slow; up to 5bps if you want before it kicks in. But you don't have an option for 7, 8, 9, or 10 bps (all of which I can find a use for). It's either less than 6bps or full-on mayhem, baby. I realize there are boards that allow you to customize the ramping point, but in my experience (Tadao), that limit was pointless because it measured Rof on an average between 3 shots. It pretty much always ramped even if I set the threshold at 10bps. On semi I once recorded 22bps -- no way in hell I actually pulled that trigger 22 times in one second.

If boards were programmed to measure actual rof over 1 second and not a theoretical average -- I could maybe be convinced to try ramping again, as long as I could have my semi up to an ACTUAL 10bps and THEN give me a little boost. Maybe some boards are programmed that way -- but from what I've seen they are all coded to give the player an unrealistic display of rof.

Maybe YOU can conserve your paint and exercise extreme trigger control, but most people can't -- if their gun is set on ramp, it's going full speed all the time. Another issue is that it doesn't necessarily stop firing the instant you want to stop shooting. I've overshot people terribly back in the day when PSP mode was a full 15bps -- unintentionally.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg

Last edited by loneassassin : 02-19-2013 at 07:29 PM.
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 PM #50
die.another.day

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post

I certainly didn't imply that, and it certainly is possible to one-ball with ramping (but how many people actually do it? ). My personal dislike for ramping comes from my own experience USING it -- sure, if you practice control you can shoot slow; up to 5bps if you want before it kicks in. But you don't have an option for 7, 8, 9, or 10 bps (all of which I can find a use for). It's either less than 6bps or full-on mayhem, baby. I realize there are boards that allow you to customize the ramping point, but in my experience (Tadao), that limit was pointless because it measured Rof on an average between 3 shots. It pretty much always ramped even if I set the threshold at 10bps. On semi I once recorded 22bps -- no way in hell I actually pulled that trigger 22 times in one second.

If boards were programmed to measure actual rof over 1 second and not a theoretical average -- I could maybe be convinced to try ramping again, as long as I could have my semi up to an ACTUAL 10bps and THEN give me a little boost. Maybe some boards are programmed that way -- but from what I've seen they are all coded to give the player an unrealistic display of rof.

Maybe YOU can conserve your paint and exercise extreme trigger control, but most people can't -- if their gun is set on ramp, it's going full speed all the time. Another issue is that it doesn't necessarily stop firing the instant you want to stop shooting. I've overshot people terribly back in the day when PSP mode was a full 15bps -- unintentionally.
Some of these bps things seem kinda sketchy to me. I dont even think people can pull the trigger 15 times in a second. All these kids walking aroumd saying they get 25 bps....
die.another.day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:15 PM #51
Nic#27
change the equation

Nic#27 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Nic#27 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
/thread
dot.
Nic#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 PM #52
xTheirOut2GetUx
>The Destroyer of Worlds<

xTheirOut2GetUx is a Supporting Member
xTheirOut2GetUx plays in the PSP
xTheirOut2GetUx is an NCPA player
xTheirOut2GetUx plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by XsolodoloX View Post
just getting back into the sport after a few years away and i cant help but notice how ramping has killed paintball ......sad to see her go
Your playing with walk on players who are probably capping their guns far past acceptable psp type rules. I actually like 10bps better than the current 12.5 but both are slower than I can shoot in semi. It just takes the focus of something dumb like being able to wiggle your fingers fast and puts it on more important points of the game.

Slower bps allows for more movement and faster play. You might actually make it through a cross field lane. Not to mention even before ramping was the norm everyone had a cheating *** gun anyway.

VICIOUS GEO 2 FOR SALE NOOOOO PB TRADES NO TRADES NO TRADES

[pursuing a degree in trolloligy]
xTheirOut2GetUx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM #53
trevor s (Banned)
CountryBaller6

trevor s supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardadkins3 View Post
Why does everybody assume that ramping makes it so that you don't have to aim or snap shoot? Why does everybody also assume that ramping automatically forces you to blow through 15 cases a game? It's not that hard to conserve paint if you really want to. If anything it makes the sport competitive and level at the same time. Honestly, the "old days" weren't as glorious as they were made out to be.
agreed
trevor s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 AM #54
XsolodoloX

Thanks everyone for the comments . I appreciate the feedback .
XsolodoloX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 AM #55
Metal Moose
M-M-M-Monster Kill!!!

Metal Moose has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddle View Post
There's three different things being brought up here - ramping, semi, and paint consumption. Lets clear this up right away, in competitive play whether you ramp or play semi, you still shoot a lot of paint.

One of the biggest things for ramping is that it levels the playing field - you know all of the trouble NPPL had/has with cheater boards? Not the PSP. Ramping players still need all the same skill sets as semi players (besides having fast fingers). What's nice about ramping is that it lets you be able to do things that you'll never be able to do in semi = crawling down a snake while shooting the tape effectively, holding lanes while podding, etc.

In terms of paintball with high paint consumption - holding lanes is an important aspect of the game, and you can't do that properly if you're not shooting enough. If your far across the field and trying to hold me from bumping up by one-balling / baiting, I will gain dominance easily.
Quote:
/thread
I've seen a few mention of the former, contradicting the latter. From a relatively unbiased standpoint, it would seem ramping is out of place in a professional platform. I bolded above what, I believe, is a necessary staple in a pro's skill set: fast, coordinated fingering (no snickering ). Electronically enhancing a player's ROF is akin to steroids; in that it gives the benefit without the work (certainly not the side effects and scandals involved ).
In rec play, I don't care whether others ramp, full-auto, pump, or whatever.. that's their deal, I'll just learn from the diversity and practice my semi.

Last edited by Metal Moose : 02-20-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Metal Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 PM #56
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by die.another.day View Post
Some of these bps things seem kinda sketchy to me. I dont even think people can pull the trigger 15 times in a second. All these kids walking aroumd saying they get 25 bps....
Good point, nobody can pull the trigger 15 times in a second. But they can gently tap it to move it the 3 or 4 millimeters to make it shoot 8-13 times a second with one finger, and combined can do 15-20 bps. Now can most players get past 13 in semi? No. Can a lot of players get past 15 in semi? Yeah. Can most of those get to 25 in semi? Hell no (I've personally been able to get to 25bps in semi with a good bounce, but can only really walk the trigger at 18-20bps).

EΔRL
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 AM #57
$og$

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsolodoloX View Post
the cost of playing is a lot more when you shoot 8 pods in one game . I like the days when i could play with a couple bags of 500 . not anymore .

My god, what days were those? 1995?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardadkins3 View Post
Why does everybody assume that ramping makes it so that you don't have to aim or snap shoot? Why does everybody also assume that ramping automatically forces you to blow through 15 cases a game? It's not that hard to conserve paint if you really want to. If anything it makes the sport competitive and level at the same time. Honestly, the "old days" weren't as glorious as they were made out to be.

This is the same argument wrapped up in new terminology. First it was "semis are ruining the game!" then it was "electros are ruining the game!" then it was "full auto/turbo is ruining the game!" now its ramping. This is the same ole same ole since...I dunno...forever. Most people on this board probably dont remember when the automag RT came out, but that was a HUGE deal. It wasnt an electro, but my god if you found the sweet spot, it was essentially what we would call ramping. People were always mad about it, but guess what? Everyone adapted to it, learned to play with it, and the game progressed. I mean, well before the days of ramping being legal, it was called "turbo" mode. Smart Parts introduced it in 1998 at World Cup IIRC, and eventually it became tourny legal as long as it was capped at a blistering 9 BPS. Then, once timmys and matrices (lulz) became more prevalent and the Angel was dominating, 9 BPS became a handicap. So, eventually the Shocker died out until it was revamped in 04 or whatever, and that was that. Now every single gun is capable of firing faster in straight semi than a capped ramp.

Its the progression of technology, and just like back then, there will always be detractors, especially those who have been away from the game for awhile. Sucks, but you're going tohave to relearn the game if youve been away for more then a year or two. Things change. Sac up and get after it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRam View Post

Then it wouldnt be speedball. Tourny ball has always been about throwing paint and calculating and timing moves properly. If you dont like it, pump is probably where you belong, or a field that caters to newer players who dont have the equipment needed to throw that much paint.

Soccer moms work out, athletes train.
$og$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 PM #58
Tryfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by $og$ View Post
This is the same argument wrapped up in new terminology. First it was "semis are ruining the game!" then it was "electros are ruining the game!" then it was "full auto/turbo is ruining the game!" now its ramping. This is the same ole same ole since...I dunno...forever.
And across that exact same time period the popularity of paintball has collapsed.

Maybe consider the idea that none of those arguments were wrong?
Tryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 PM #59
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryfan View Post
And across that exact same time period the popularity of paintball has collapsed.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 PM #60
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
Quote:

Sure, the economy had nothing to do with it either..........
rexisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 PM #61
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Fat_Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:

See below......for gods sake man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexisme View Post
Sure, the economy had nothing to do with it either..........

I worked in this industry up until 2004, and even in 04, it was still going strong, even in the northeast. When the economy started to crash, so did frivolous hobbies. Its not rocket science....I mean for christ sake they even debated whether or not constant air was ruining the game back in the late 80s. I mean get over it.
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Fat_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:12 AM #62
MicHauŠ¹²
I Do My Own Stunts

MicHauŠ¹² owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ive heard alot od d1 etec players say playing in semi is harder, keeping lanes etec

Mainepb.com
"Originally posted by DYE=cool: One time, me and my friends used marijuana needles, to make a long story short my penis fell off."

People that say agg need to die in a fire
MicHauŠ¹² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:14 AM #63
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHauŠ¹² View Post
ive heard alot od d1 etec players say playing in semi is harder, keeping lanes etec
D1 players can still play ramping....

It's not exactly harder, but you have to focus on the trigger more if it's not reflexive.

EΔRL
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote