Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM #1
monsterman40

whats the best marker under $300

i love paintball but the cost of things is a little too much for my budget so to be able to compete with other players i need a good marker. so if there is any suggestions for some good markers let me know. thank you.

Last edited by eforce : 01-29-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: please do not buy/sell/trade outside the b/s/t forums. thank you! -eforce
monsterman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 AM #2
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
In this forum, no one can make sales with you. The only way you can make sales on here is if you pm each other a deal, or go to the b/s/t forum. Now as for markers under $300, I hope that's just the budget for your gun. You will need a good hopper, tank, mask, etc as well. For $300, look at the paintball gun reviews on here, look at the b/s/t forum, see what you would like in your price range. That being said, there are a lot of markers you can buy in that price range. Ego 07-08, old timmies, mini, axe, rails, etc are some I'd recommend. But do your research, see what you like.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 PM #3
SSD_JAKE

SSD_JAKE owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SSD_JAKE has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SSD_JAKE has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SSD_JAKE has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'd recommend the valken proton, it's an amazing little gun
Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 PM #4
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

I like used axes with a lurker eigenbolt.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 PM #5
Weroliera (Banned)

Gog enmey 530 you will have a sweet setup that wen u wanna up yur game all yu buy is a gun instead of other gear
Weroliera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 PM #6
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
In my opinion, a used Etek 2 w/Star Frame and a Zick kit is the best marker for under $300 if you're looking for the best bang for your buck.
aresfiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM #7
inferno2inferno

For new guns that are under 300$, the Proto rail is a favorite of mine. The invert mini is another great option for that price as well. For old guns, used egos are great since in the realm of electronic markers they have consistently demonstrated their durability.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:16 PM #8
blueshifty

The protege dominates any etek and is under $300 even up'd.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:46 PM #9
inferno2inferno

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty
When did I mention an etek? In case I was imprecise, when saying egos I meant the ego-ego not the etek-ego. In which case I do not think the protege "dominates" necessarily compared to the ego line.

Last edited by inferno2inferno : 02-18-2013 at 09:49 PM.
inferno2inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 PM #10
blueshifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno2inferno View Post
When did I mention an etek?
Read. VVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
In my opinion, a used Etek 2 w/Star Frame and a Zick kit is the best marker for under $300 if you're looking for the best bang for your buck.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 PM #11
inferno2inferno

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty

Read. VVV
Wasnt that aresfiend, not me lol? You quoted
me in your etek post
Old 02-18-2013, 10:04 PM #12
Zubi247

invert mini
Zubi247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 PM #13
blueshifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno2inferno View Post
Wasnt that aresfiend, not me lol? You quoted
me in your etek post
What? Read again broski... I didn't quote anyone in that post.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 PM #14
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
I think you missed the word opinion there buddy

For someone like me, I don't care about shot quality or efficiency past 7 pods from a 48 but enjoy something that's easier to clean and has the nicer ergonomics, trigger, and board.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 PM #15
blueshifty

You don't care about shot quality? Really? The noise doesn't bother you either? Eteks are some loud mofos. I guess I've never met anyone who doesn't care about shot quality before. The vice/ protege is every bit as easy to clean and is just as reliable. I also disagree that the etek has a better board seeing as how the stock boards on gen5 timmys were tadao. I guess, yes, if you like loud kicky guns that are less efficient, don't have a tadao board but are PE then go with the etek.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 PM #16
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
You don't care about shot quality? Really? The noise doesn't bother you either? Eteks are some loud mofos. I guess I've never met anyone who doesn't care about shot quality before. The vice/ protege is every bit as easy to clean and is just as reliable. I also disagree that the etek has a better board seeing as how the stock boards on gen5 timmys were tadao. I guess, yes, if you like loud kicky guns that are less efficient, don't have a tadao board but are PE then go with the etek.
I'm pretty sure you're getting into the Tadao/BL fanboy mode...

When I'm playing I also don't think "Wow! This gun is ****ing smooth!" or "Wow! This gun is a horse!", I think "D2. Move. Pod. Pull the damn trigger.". I also don't see what's so special about a Tadao board... It's just an LED board from a good manufacturer, but what's this? The Eclipse board is an LCD board also from a good manufacturer? No ****ing way that Tadao isn't the only good board company!

Holy ****! Mind = blown

But seriously. An Etek2 with a Zick kit and some LPR tuning is actually not that much more loud or kicky. A little, yes, but not a ton. The efficiency gap isn't that huge either. Something else to note, if a gun's kick matters, it's probably time to lift something other than the remote. About them being just the same to clean, have you ever tried to clean up those textured Bob Long grips at the field in a way that they're not caked with paint after a few points should you get paint there?

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, Marq 6s should be getting down there in price. Look for one of those.

Last edited by aresfiend : 02-18-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 PM #17
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Etek 2 and Proteges are both nice markers for the price
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 AM #18
VSportsGuy

VSportsGuy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
VSportsGuy has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
VSportsGuy supports DLX Technology
If you don't mind buying a used gun, I would highly recommend an axe. It is just unbelievable for the price.
VSportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 AM #19
blueshifty

Dude ares, you really shouldn't play the fanboy card. Would you believe I don't even own a BL gun, in fact, I jusf bought 2 axes. Lol, how about this... you ever play semi? The 4C eyes make a difference IMO and lo and behold only a handful of boards support them. The way I play is a very fast pace where a majority of my shots are made while running or are cross field so smoothness definitely matters to me as does quietness. It has nothing to do with strength either because I'm not exactly a little guy (not fat either)... The grips on the protege/vice can be tapped for G6R grips for ~$17 from paintballer187 or whatever his name is and those are some of the best on the market. I see your etek badge and obviously you're satisfied with your purchase but from an objective view there are far better options. One more I'd toss out there is the 07 borg which I've seen 2 in bst.

As for the marq, yes, those are good options as well but personally I'd tap them for G6R grips as well.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 AM #20
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
Dude ares, you really shouldn't play the fanboy card. Would you believe I don't even own a BL gun, in fact, I jusf bought 2 axes. Lol, how about this... you ever play semi? The 4C eyes make a difference IMO and lo and behold only a handful of boards support them.
Yes, 4C eyes are uber amazing for the extra .5 balls a second they'll get you when you walk up to 22 balls a second.

I only play semi (due to the fact that I don't like the lack of control with PSP) and at 12.5 or even 15 bps 4C eyes won't make enough of a difference to notice and be worth to the game.

Quote:
The way I play is a very fast pace where a majority of my shots are made while running or are cross field so smoothness definitely matters to me as does quietness. It has nothing to do with strength either because I'm not exactly a little guy (not fat either)...
I'm sorry, I still don't get this.

I guess it's just because I'm used to running and gunning with a cocker that I've developed the skill of holding my tank tight to my shoulder for the extra stability since I keep my upper body near motionless on the breakout and while I'm running and gunning.

Quote:
The grips on the protege/vice can be tapped for G6R grips for ~$17 from paintballer187 or whatever his name is and those are some of the best on the market.
The Etek/Ego grips are also some of the best grips on the market, but, grips are probably the part that's most down to opinion.

Quote:
I see your etek badge and obviously you're satisfied with your purchase but from an objective view there are far better options.
I'm sorry, but the Protege isn't a better option, simply another one.

Last edited by aresfiend : 02-19-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 AM #21
blueshifty

Quote:
Yes, 4C eyes are uber amazing for the extra .5 balls a second they'll get you when you walk up to 22 balls a second.

I only play semi (due to the fact that I don't like the lack of control with PSP) and at 12.5 or even 15 bps 4C eyes won't make enough of a difference to notice and be worth to the game.
I seriously doubt you've used 4C eyes. For me it makes a big difference especially snap shooting. I can get 1-2 extra balls out before coming back in and that actually matters. When laning I also notice the streams are more consistent without the odd little stalls.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I still don't get this.

I guess it's just because I'm used to running and gunning with a cocker that I've developed the skill of holding my tank tight to my shoulder for the extra stability since I keep my upper body near motionless on the breakout and while I'm running and gunning.
I'll give you a scenario that occurs VERY frequently to me and why it matters. When I go to make a move up the middle of the field and I get a shot on the snake players pack it usually a tiny window that I have to hit before they get down. The added smoothness of a gun allows me to get more shots at that tiny window without barrel rise. The quietness sometimes gets me more shots from a new position before I'm noticed. This is both in speedball and is more prevalent in woods/ rec. I hated my ego7 because it was the antithesis of the characteristics I value most in a gun.

To imply that learning run and gun with a cocker helped you develop form is kind of a stretch too because well tuned cockers are exceptionally smooth. I have owned probably 15 cockers ranging from ebladed sonic cockers, custom built evos/ custom bodies and STOs. Holding the tank tight to your shoulder is a given with any gun, but even so the gun itself can give you an edge if it's not vibrating around.

Quote:
The Etek/Ego grips are also some of the best grips on the market, but, grips are probably the part that's most down to opinion.

I'm sorry, but the Protege isn't a better option, simply another one.
I agree, ego/ etek grips are nice.

So lets lay this out objectively:

Protege:
Pros:
Smoother than etek
Quieter than etek
More efficient than etek
Arguably a better reg than the etek
Great stock board
*Potentially* faster than etek with 4C eyes in semi

Cons:
Pressure needs to be set correctly

Etek:
Pros:
Better stock grips
Moderately efficient (but less than protege)
Very good stock board
Pressures are hard to mess up

Cons:
Loud
Kicky (by almost any normal standard)

The only way you could give any type of edge to the etek is to say things like smoother, quieter, more efficient, just as reliable, better board, etc. don't matter.

I did notice this too:
Quote:
So I suppose you do care about smoothness just a little if you're suggesting an upgrade that's sole purpose is to smooth the shot. (And it didn't work too great on my ego7, nor did a LP poppet. )

Last edited by blueshifty : 02-19-2013 at 10:29 AM.
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote