Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM #148
Stepchild
You wanna know why......?

Stepchild is a Moderator
Stepchild is a Supporting Member
Stepchild is a founding member
Stepchild plays in the PSP
Quote:
My question with this will be in the awarding of prizes. Does the winner of the the challengers division not get anything? In theory they both will be considered "pro" players in the pro division, so to me the winner of the challenger division is basically taking 9th place and the team that takes 2nd in the challengers division is taking 10th place and shouldn't get any prizes.

Or do they treat them as 2 different divisions and give the 10K cash to the winner of each division. Or maybe 10K to the winner of the Champions and 5K to the winner of the Challengers but if they do this then you get a larger reward for taking 1st in the Challengers division (basically 9th place in pro) than the 2nd place team in the Champions division gets.

This also brings up the question of, if they give cash prizes or whatever to the winner of the Challengers division, where is it coming from. A couple years back the PSP cut many of the prize packages (especially for divisional teams) and the reasoning was that the PSP had to cut cost to balance money in and money out. Which I'm fine with. My problem is that more or less this division will not be bringing in new teams, it will probably be a combination of the 5-6 lowest pro teams and the 5-6 highest D1 team that already play. So the PSP won't really be bringing in significantly more money in entry fees because of the new division but they will be trying to hand out more money in prizes. It doesn't add up in my head.

If they don't have any prizes for the challengers division then they will have a hard time getting some of the top D1 teams to jump up with only the chance to play the next event in the champions division. Many D1 teams pay for everything out of the players pockets, why would a team that knows they have a very good chance to place high in d1 and help their own pocket books for the next event want to play in the challenges division without even a chance to win anything even if they take 1st. Plus those teams that never make it from the challengers division I can see be discouraged enough to not play an entire season.

I'll be interested to see how this goes. I like the concept but it's going to be a boom or bust depending on how they handle it.
??? anyone
Dirt Products
www.blitzpaintball.net www.planeteclipse.com www.hustlepaintball.com

RIP Rusty Fox. You were my brother and my friend. You will never be forgotten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZs_Nj65M8
Stepchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 PM #149
KMA

KMA is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
KMA supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane Wright View Post
It was entirely my idea.

Until I read the posts on another social sight that were all negative, then it was mostly my idea.

Then I went through my Facebook responses and it became my idea again. But then I went through the PSP Facebook responses and decided that maybe this was a group decision after all.

So, I will wait until after the 3rd event to let you know exactly the appropriate breakdown of percentage input from various people who may or may not have contributed to this idea that depending on the outcome could have been all mine or a collaborative.

There's also a small possibility that I was forced to do it this way by the government and have been against it the whole time.
This is a funny, light-hearted post. I like it.
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
R&M Paintball - Headrush - BlackSheep
100% Positive Feedback
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 PM #150
VPB-ChristianW
Virtue Paintball

VPB-ChristianW works for a Paintball manufacturer
VPB-ChristianW donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
It was entirely my idea.

Until I read the posts on another social sight that were all negative, then it was mostly my idea.

Then I went through my Facebook responses and it became my idea again. But then I went through the PSP Facebook responses and decided that maybe this was a group decision after all.

So, I will wait until after the 3rd event to let you know exactly the appropriate breakdown of percentage input from various people who may or may not have contributed to this idea that depending on the outcome could have been all mine or a collaborative.

There's also a small possibility that I was forced to do it this way by the government and have been against it the whole time.
So Lane suggested broken bottles and tire irons in the parking lot and the rest of the crew interpreted his desires as what we have. I predict years from now we'll be wondering why it wasn't always done this way. Wonder if it could work for lower divisions too, but I guess you have a lot of teams that don't play each event?

Virtue VIO Contour
Virtue VIO Extend
Virtue Spire 200
Virtue Spire 260

facebook.com/VirtuePaintball
VPB-ChristianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 PM #151
paintballa12788

Annual Supporting Member
paintballa12788 plays in the PSP
paintballa12788 plays in the APPA Pro division
paintballa12788 supports Empire
paintballa12788 is All In
Roster sizes? Pro was 10 and D1 was 12 last year. . Now if a D1 team is to bump up to the challenger division for event two do they have to go down to 10?
paintballa12788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 PM #152
Recanz
Call Me Ishmael

Recanz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Recanz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Recanz plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballa12788 View Post
Roster sizes? Pro was 10 and D1 was 12 last year. . Now if a D1 team is to bump up to the challenger division for event two do they have to go down to 10?
Are you hinting at T1 bumping up to pro for 2013? (wouldn't be surprised if you guys did)
Recanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:55 PM #153
randomdean100

Why not do a rolling average of places earned throughout the series in comparison to everyone else, calculated at the end of each event. Won't completely screw over a team for a rough weekend and makes sure the teams who are not playing consistently well are the teams that get bumped down. Add in an exception that if you get to semi finals for an event you are exempt from being bumped down next event, drop the two two teams who average the lowest place that are not except to semi pro next event, top two teams in semi pro get bumped up next event.
PBN modsquad - lols for brains

Purdue jersey and more F/S
randomdean100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:55 PM #154
Shootingropes
PewPew, Pew, 'Murica

Annual Supporting Member
Shootingropes plays in the PSP
Shootingropes is an NCPA player
Quote:
It was entirely my idea.

This is a geniune comedic post. I like it.

But seriously, call it Semi-Pro

For Sale: Project Geo
Shootingropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 PM #155
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootingropes View Post
I know it's a kids arguement that Champions and Challengers sounds just dumb... but seriously?

Call it Semi-Pro.
This.

<3 Lane

Last edited by SNAKESNIPER : 01-28-2013 at 07:04 PM.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM #156
NightKreeper

NightKreeper is a Supporting Member
NightKreeper plays in the PSP
NightKreeper plays in the APPA D4 division
I don't like it. It would make sense if it was an end of the year thing. I could see teams falling apart after getting bumped down, either because players jump ship or sponsors dont want to pay to have their team in the "lesser" division. What happens if a team like Ironmen or Heat, who are essentially owned by the people who own the PSP, get bumped down? Anyone can have a bad event.

I don't see this lasting more than one season.

Kick'n Paintball Park
NightKreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 PM #157
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recanz View Post
Are you hinting at T1 bumping up to pro for 2013? (wouldn't be surprised if you guys did)
Under this program, I can't see how they would have a choice. They are a no-brainer for the Challenger division.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 PM #158
paintballa12788

Annual Supporting Member
paintballa12788 plays in the PSP
paintballa12788 plays in the APPA Pro division
paintballa12788 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Under this program, I can't see how they would have a choice. They are a no-brainer for the Challenger division.
But there is no challenger division at Texas and we weren't offered a pro spot. Therefore we will be playing d1 with 12 guys. If we have to bump to challenger for Texas do we have to cut 2 people?
paintballa12788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 PM #159
VPB-ChristianW
Virtue Paintball

VPB-ChristianW works for a Paintball manufacturer
VPB-ChristianW donated to help Peyton Trent
I'd assume its not semi pro because these guys are still pro. Just not playing in the lime light. Tell me Dynasty isn't a "pro" team if they just happen to have a crappy event, right? Better to avoid the baggage of semi pro and describe the two divisions like they have.

Virtue VIO Contour
Virtue VIO Extend
Virtue Spire 200
Virtue Spire 260

facebook.com/VirtuePaintball
VPB-ChristianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 PM #160
randomdean100

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPB-ChristianW View Post
I'd assume its not semi pro because these guys are still pro. Just not playing in the lime light. Tell me Dynasty isn't a "pro" team if they just happen to have a crappy event, right? Better to avoid the baggage of semi pro and describe the two divisions like they have.
The thing is regardless of what they call it it's gonna be viewed synonymously with semi-pro. You're not playing against other seasoned pro teams, and it's not the top tier.
PBN modsquad - lols for brains

Purdue jersey and more F/S
randomdean100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 PM #161
mercedes0001

Annual Supporting Member
mercedes0001 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballa12788 View Post
But there is no challenger division at Texas and we weren't offered a pro spot. Therefore we will be playing d1 with 12 guys. If we have to bump to challenger for Texas do we have to cut 2 people?
Good question.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM #162
NightKreeper

NightKreeper is a Supporting Member
NightKreeper plays in the PSP
NightKreeper plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdean100 View Post
The thing is regardless of what they call it it's gonna be viewed synonymously with semi-pro. You're not playing against other seasoned pro teams, and it's not the top tier.
I agree. They can call it whatever they want, but we all see it as you're either in THE pro division or you're not. Sure minor league sports teams are technically professional, but we all know the difference.

Kick'n Paintball Park
NightKreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 PM #163
Stan6543

Stan6543 plays in the PSP
Stan6543 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Stan6543 posts videos on PbNation
Stan6543 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Stan6543 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom1256 View Post
Looking forward to this
Same
Stan6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 PM #164
frostwalrus9

frostwalrus9 is an NCPA player
frostwalrus9 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vissa View Post
I know for sure there is not one single Pro team that thinks that way. You don't want to be down to Semi-Pro, Semi Pro doesn't count in the eyes of a Pro!
frostwalrus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM #165
Ryan Gray

Ryan Gray is a Professional paintball player
Ryan Gray plays in the APPA D3 division
As long as there is a prize package, I love it and TX Storm will participate if invited. Relegation in the "Pro" league has been needed for a few years. I am excited to see the PSP take a step in making their league make sense as related to the top tear teams.

I believe that the top teams are there for a reason and deserve to have that opportunity protected and viewed as amazing. The stuff these guys give up to be at that level is impressive. Just my opinions and thoughts.
Ryan Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 PM #166
4leaf4life
WHAMMY

4leaf4life is a Professional paintball player
4leaf4life works for a Paintball manufacturer
4leaf4life plays in the PSP
4leaf4life posts videos on PbNation
4leaf4life plays in the APPA Pro division
4leaf4life is Legendary
4leaf4life supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightKreeper View Post
What happens if a team like Ironmen or Heat, who are essentially owned by the people who own the PSP, get bumped down?
Explain this to me...? The owned by people who own the PSP part...
4leaf4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 PM #167
surealpaintballer

surealpaintballer supports Cereal Killerz 2
surealpaintballer posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazer View Post
I don't know anything about Avalanche but the XSV part is not true. XSV Won PSP Chicago in 2006. After the 2007 season many members of the team left and they rebuilt it using local talent for the 2008 season of NPPL. In 2009 they played NPPL pro and PSP Semi-Pro (Vicious Rivalry). After the pro 2010 season they went back to NPPL only in pro for 2011 and 2012, except for playing world cup 2012.
Was no relegation.
I don't want to be this guy but......

The XSV core and the hired guns they bought in the beginning of the season started to leave in the middle and at the end of the season of 2006, they were the Abyss faction and went on to teams like Infamous and dynasty and the ironmen. Thomas Taylor and Rich Telford were what was left of the previous roster...Matty Marshal had retired...even though i think he wasnt playing the PSP event and in the NPPL he was with NRG. XSV did use local talent for a rebuild.....exception to Greg Sewiers and I want to say Aaron Tholey, in the 2007 psp and NPPL seasons. In 2008 they competed only in NPPL and competed in the 2009 psp semi pro in addition to NPPL and psp PRO.

I think this Format is exciting, and I hope the detail and hang ups can be ironed out! I am looking forward to watching this new Pro structure in action this season!

This format will for sure bring more attention to the event that occurs just before world cup, which has always been the "slow event" of the season no matter where they had it....exception to NJO in 11! Everyone will want to make it to the Champions divison for World Cup....that will make fans more intrested....in one way or other......as to who does and who doesn't.

Fantastic Idea!!!!
EMPIRE Paintball gear
Ultra EVIL PAINTBALLS

GARDEN STATE PUMP
surealpaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 PM #168
Skipperdawg
Go Big or Go Homo

Skipperdawg is a Paintball photographer
Skipperdawg plays in the PSP
Skipperdawg supports Team VICIOUS
Skipperdawg is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4leaf4life View Post
Explain this to me...? The owned by people who own the PSP part...
Was wondering the same thing.

RIP SkipsPics - I'll Miss You Vicious - Photomob
Jerky Bob Fan Club - WVU Paintball - PPSC
Greensburg Distortion MXL #3 - Eastern Conf Champs 2009 We Came, We Won, They Canceled the League
My Feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1461486
Skipperdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.