Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM #1
B3ARC1AW

Can You Convert a CO2 tank to HPA

So as an alternative to buying a 13ci tank from Ninja I had an idea to make my own. Could you use a 9oz CO2 tank and put a reg from an out of hydro HPA steely bottle on it? It makes sense that it would work, but I question the safety of the tank.

Being a liquid while in the tank, CO2 is at a much lower pressure than compressed air. Depending on temperature, I believe the CO2 is anywhere between 600-900 psi when compressed in a tank. Which leads me to believe that the tank isn't rated for pressures much higher than that since there would be no need to manufacture a tank to be safe at high pressures when it won't be used at those pressures.

The only factor I can think of that would determine how much presssure the tank can hold would be the material it's made of and its thickness. I know tanks can be made of aluminum or steel. The Ninja tank is made of aluminum according to their site, and I assume my CO2 tank is aluminum too since the engraved stamp shows "3ALM" on it. I'm not sure if that's what the marking means, but it would make sense to mean it's made of aluminum.

So overall I think the CO2 tank would be safe to use for HPA as long as it has the same wall thickness as an HPA tank. Has anybody ever tried this before or have experience with tanks and air systems and could tell me if this would work?
B3ARC1AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 PM #2
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

has been a member for 10 years
Sure it would work but no one would fill it for you. Plus the tanks are rated for 1800psi so there really wouldn't be much point when you wouldn't be getting many shots out of it anyway.
2000 Tropic Green CSVT #836/2150
XBL: RapDonkey
Style: Basic Math
Dyoel182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:10 AM #3
die.another.day

Probably cheaper just to get a 13 ci. Its the same size as a 9 oz co2. And i assume your playing pump
die.another.day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:39 PM #4
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
If you put a 3k reg on the tank the LP burst disc is rated for the overall structural integrity of the tank, so that's quite dangerous as it would be hard to guess which would let go first. The burst disc or the tank body itself.
Can it be done? Yes. Has it been done safely? Yes it has. Generally though you only want a qualified air smith to do this kind of thing for you. However as Dyoel mentioned chances are you are not getting it filled anywhere unless you do it yourself.
It's quite risky if you do something wrong and it's quite easy to do something wrong while not even realizing it. Stick with the 13ci tanks that are rated for the 3000 psi pressure. I have a ninja 13ci and I like it.
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 PM #5
B3ARC1AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by die.another.day View Post
Probably cheaper just to get a 13 ci. Its the same size as a 9 oz co2. And i assume your playing pump
Yes, I would be playing pump with this. And it wouldn't be cheaper to just get a 13ci. I already have the CO2 tank and a reg, so my cost would be zero compared to the price of the Ninja tank which I cannot remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyoel182 View Post
Sure it would work but no one would fill it for you. Plus the tanks are rated for 1800psi so there really wouldn't be much point when you wouldn't be getting many shots out of it anyway.
Are you sure the tank is only rated for 1800 psi? Did you test a tank yourself or where did you get that information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris17 View Post
If you put a 3k reg on the tank the LP burst disc is rated for the overall structural integrity of the tank, so that's quite dangerous as it would be hard to guess which would let go first. The burst disc or the tank body itself.
Can it be done? Yes. Has it been done safely? Yes it has. Generally though you only want a qualified air smith to do this kind of thing for you. However as Dyoel mentioned chances are you are not getting it filled anywhere unless you do it yourself.
It's quite risky if you do something wrong and it's quite easy to do something wrong while not even realizing it. Stick with the 13ci tanks that are rated for the 3000 psi pressure. I have a ninja 13ci and I like it.
If you say it has been done safely, then how was it done? I am in no means an air smith or even have lots of knowledge about air systems, but I'm not sure how something could be done wrong. If the tank happens to be rated for pressures equal to or above 3000 psi, then couldn't you just screw in an HPA tank reg and it would work just as if the reg was on a larger sized HPA tank?

Also Tabris, if what was said above is correct and they are the same size, could you weigh your 13ci tank when it's empty and tell me to weight? Then I could just subtract the weight of the reg and compare the weight of a 13ci tank to my 9oz CO2 tank. Since they're both made of aluminum and if they are comparable weights, couldn't you conclude that the wall thicknesses of the two tanks must be the same (or about the same) and therefore both could hold the same pressure? Or am I missing something?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 PM #6
die.another.day

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3ARC1AW View Post

Yes, I would be playing pump with this. And it wouldn't be cheaper to just get a 13ci. I already have the CO2 tank and a reg, so my cost would be zero compared to the price of the Ninja tank which I cannot remember.

Are you sure the tank is only rated for 1800 psi? Did you test a tank yourself or where did you get that information?

If you say it has been done safely, then how was it done? I am in no means an air smith or even have lots of knowledge about air systems, but I'm not sure how something could be done wrong. If the tank happens to be rated for pressures equal to or above 3000 psi, then couldn't you just screw in an HPA tank reg and it would work just as if the reg was on a larger sized HPA tank?

Also Tabris, if what was said above is correct and they are the same size, could you weigh your 13ci tank when it's empty and tell me to weight? Then I could just subtract the weight of the reg and compare the weight of a 13ci tank to my 9oz CO2 tank. Since they're both made of aluminum and if they are comparable weights, couldn't you conclude that the wall thicknesses of the two tanks must be the same (or about the same) and therefore both could hold the same pressure? Or am I missing something?
Well a 9 oz co2 is prob 20 bucks. And a 13 ci tank where i live is 25... A lot safer aswell. Wouldnt you rather spend an extra 5 bucks than get seriously injured. Alot more goes into making HPA bottles
Also i think there is a SLIGHT difference between the 9 oz co2 and the 13 ci. Im not sure which ones bigger. Something tells me the 9 oz is bigger though

Last edited by die.another.day : 01-28-2013 at 09:00 PM.
die.another.day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 PM #7
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 is Boss
Quote:

The tank isn't rated anywhere close to 3000 psi though is the thing. Co2 tanks are rated for 1800 psi max.
You could slap a reg on it and it would work like another tank but again, they're rated for 1800 psi. The closest safety feature on the reg is the LP disc which is 1800 psi. So there is nothing that's going to vent and relieve pressure should something happen. Honestly, the first thing to probably go would be the cylinder itself if it has a weak spot.
There have been threads on it in the past but again, it's usually air smiths that do the work for themselves or for others. And even then they're filling the tanks themselves. It's not like the old days of paintball where people were cocktailing their tanks and doing all sorts of things that are seen as extremely sketchy and dangerous these days.
Best and safest advice is to simply get a rated 3000 psi tank like the Ninja or GA versions. It's going to save a lot of hassle and head scratching. Not to mention nobody is going to question it when it comes time to fill.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 PM #8
B3ARC1AW

Ok, I guess that settles it then, haha. I looked through the forum and Google and wasn't able to find what pressure a CO2 tank is rated for, so I'll have to take your word for it.

And die.another.day, where do you live? I wish I could find a 13ci tank for 25 dollars where I live. It's 60 at online stores, and the shops near me sell it for even more than that.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 AM #9
FalconPunchKid
UNKOWN

Annual Supporting Member
FalconPunchKid is BST Legit
FalconPunchKid is playing at Living Legends VII
FalconPunchKid owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
FalconPunchKid plays in the APPA D4 division
FalconPunchKid supports DLX Technology
FalconPunchKid supports Empire
Quote:
So as an alternative to buying a 13ci tank from Ninja I had an idea to make my own. Could you use a 9oz CO2 tank and put a reg from an out of hydro HPA steely bottle on it? It makes sense that it would work, but I question the safety of the tank.

Being a liquid while in the tank, CO2 is at a much lower pressure than compressed air. Depending on temperature, I believe the CO2 is anywhere between 600-900 psi when compressed in a tank. Which leads me to believe that the tank isn't rated for pressures much higher than that since there would be no need to manufacture a tank to be safe at high pressures when it won't be used at those pressures.

The only factor I can think of that would determine how much presssure the tank can hold would be the material it's made of and its thickness. I know tanks can be made of aluminum or steel. The Ninja tank is made of aluminum according to their site, and I assume my CO2 tank is aluminum too since the engraved stamp shows "3ALM" on it. I'm not sure if that's what the marking means, but it would make sense to mean it's made of aluminum.

So overall I think the CO2 tank would be safe to use for HPA as long as it has the same wall thickness as an HPA tank. Has anybody ever tried this before or have experience with tanks and air systems and could tell me if this would work?

I Highly doubt it!

Anthony Antle
FalconPunchKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM #10
Infinity Kid
Lonely Island

Infinity Kid is playing at Living Legends VII
Infinity Kid supports Team VICIOUS
Infinity Kid supports Team VICIOUS
Infinity Kid posts videos on PbNation
Infinity Kid supports DLX Technology
Im going to be very blunt with you I guess.

The C02 tank is meant for CO2. The HPA tanks are meant for HPA. Would you rather try to be a cheap guy, and jerry rig a ticking time bomb, or do something right and possibly save your life. Use some common sense. It can be done, but your stupid if you try, and your harming other people`s lives. Come on now!
Infinity Kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM #11
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 is Boss
Quote:
Ok, I guess that settles it then, haha. I looked through the forum and Google and wasn't able to find what pressure a CO2 tank is rated for, so I'll have to take your word for it.

And die.another.day, where do you live? I wish I could find a 13ci tank for 25 dollars where I live. It's 60 at online stores, and the shops near me sell it for even more than that.
It's stamped right on the tank that it's rated for 1800 psi.
Co2 is very prone to temperature fluctuations. I've seen co2 tanks sitting on picnic tables pop their burst disc because of the summer heat. On a hot day it's quite common to have a co2 valve releasing 1000+ psi.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 PM #12
B3ARC1AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity Kid View Post
Im going to be very blunt with you I guess.

The C02 tank is meant for CO2. The HPA tanks are meant for HPA. Would you rather try to be a cheap guy, and jerry rig a ticking time bomb, or do something right and possibly save your life. Use some common sense. It can be done, but your stupid if you try, and your harming other people`s lives. Come on now!
I'm not saying I'm going to try it. If you could comprehend and analyze writing, which it seems you cannot, then you would have understood from my original post that I was curious about the idea because I had unused parts and wanted to do something with them.

The aspect of safety was at the front of my mind when I had the idea, hence my reason for asking what the pressure rating was on a CO2 tank. Since I don't have vast amounts of experience with air systems I asked if it was possible. Tabris and Dyoel have already answered my question and I now know CO2 tanks cannot hold high enough pressure.

And I am using common sense. I asked if it was feasible and safe before I just did it and hoped it worked. It's also you're, not your

But thanks for your opinion buddy.