Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 AM #1
bth9461

Best Electro Gun Under $300

Please discuss the guns priced under $300. Mfg's like Spyder, Gog, Azodin, Proto, ect......

Reliability would be the most important issue. Since many budget ballers would have few resources for fixing or having a backup. They may be new to the game and have less ability to work on, or fine tune the gun.

Shot quality would be secondary to reliability.

Wondering about the less expensive guns, would any of them be useable for Speedball/Airball entry level.

I would say keep used guns out of the picture, new players might be fearful to make a Quality Used Buy.
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM #2
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

At that range there's really only 2 I'd consider for speedball:
GoG eXTCy
Proto PMR

Though personally I'd step up ~$25 and consider:
Empire/ Invert Mini
Valken Proton
Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 AM #3
bth9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
At that range there's really only 2 I'd consider for speedball:
GoG eXTCy
Proto PMR

Though personally I'd step up ~$25 and consider:
Empire/ Invert Mini
Valken Proton
Both of these guns at Ansgear sell for $250. They appear to be on the high end of a $300 limit.

Most of the guns available appear to be $200 or less. Back in the "day" (the 90's) we had many companies offering low end guns. Most of them did not preform well even though they looked good.

So what you are saying in your opinion these two guns are worth the extra over the sub $200 crowd. Not Mini quality but a cut above the other Budget Guns.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 AM #4
Box
Wroooaaarrrr!

Annual Supporting Member
Box is playing at Living Legends VII
Used is really the way to go.

New, you can grab a DP G4, but many people report them to be finicky. A re-lube usually clears this issue up.

ANS has 125 dollar smart parts SP1 markers, which are essentially Ions. They also have Ion 2.0's for 215. Not bad deals, decent little guns.

Buying new for that price (which I feel is a mistake given the prices of used high ends) makes the mini one of the best options. The gog extcy is quite similar to an ion, and would serve well. PMR's are solid performers. The sub-200 market really doesn't off much in the way of performance, when buying new.

Last edited by Box : 01-22-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:29 PM #5
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

I don't recommend buying new at that price point. For under $300 you can get a marq, quest, gen3 or 4 timmy and dm6-8s. If you step up to a ~$400 range there are some good options new such as the axe and drone.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:50 PM #6
skittlesRgood182

ya, I'd buy a used DM6 before ever buying a new gun under $300. that being said, I had an ion that I liked a lot as a little backup.
skittlesRgood182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 PM #7
bth9461

Well I understand the used idea. I am wondering if a younger budget baller would feel comfortable buying used though. Though I would say great deals on used can be had. Was really trying to see what others thought of these low end guns, if any of them had any merits or if they were junk.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:18 PM #8
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports DLX Technology
I hope you have more money than that for a hopper, tank, mask, etc
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM #9
bth9461

Obviously you would need some additional money for those items if you did not have them. I would not expect these budget guns to be better than the Mid to Hi ends, but was only wondering if any of them were useable as a entry level. I see a lot of discussion concerning Mid Grade and above but not much on the under 300 guns.

Some players may need to cut costs.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM #10
bth9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Used is really the way to go.

New, you can grab a DP G4, but many people report them to be finicky. A re-lube usually clears this issue up.

ANS has 125 dollar smart parts SP1 markers, which are essentially Ions. They also have Ion 2.0's for 215. Not bad deals, decent little guns.

Buying new for that price (which I feel is a mistake given the prices of used high ends) makes the mini one of the best options. The gog extcy is quite similar to an ion, and would serve well. PMR's are solid performers. The sub-200 market really doesn't off much in the way of performance, when buying new.
Is the Ion still being produced?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 PM #11
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by bth9461 View Post
Is the Ion still being produced?
No, and it really has no value on the b/s/t market if you were to try to get rid of it.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:10 PM #12
Macdman11
HVF~Honor Valor Fidelity

Macdman11 is playing at Living Legends VI
Macdman11 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
For $25 more you can get an Empire Axe from trademygun.com and then you'll have a marker used by a lot of pro teams. And I know you said keep used out of the picture but I couldn't resist...

PAYPAL VERIFIED!

Proverbs 24:10

Last edited by Macdman11 : 01-22-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Macdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:41 PM #13
bth9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdman11 View Post
For $25 more you can get an Empire Axe from trademygun.com and then you'll have a marker used by a lot of pro teams. And I know you said keep used out of the picture but I couldn't resist...
I get what you are saying, I was trying to get some discussion going on these lower end guns. I was not seeing much on them, as a returning player, I was wondering if there were any Diamonds in the Rough.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 PM #14
smalltownkaos
Azodin Fan

smalltownkaos has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
smalltownkaos has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
smalltownkaos has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
im ordering a g4, check out tech pb's youtube, mike reviews almost every gun, he knows his **** and seems to be unbiased, and the two front runners in that price range are proto rail and the g4
smalltownkaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:47 PM #15
ilikegunz

might wanna go to trademygun.com I got my ego from there once. It was great. They have an axe there for 325. I just got an axe, and let me say it shall take place over for primary use, oveer my ego. The axe is an incredibly good gun. Not good gun "for the price", a good gun overall

"Please keep your arms and legs inside the field at all times. Failure to cooperate with these instructions may result in injury,death, or worse, ejection from the field."
ilikegunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 AM #16
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
The problem with the low end market is that a lot of corners are cut to reach a price point. When you compare today's $300 markers to yesterday's $1000 markers that sell used for $300 its hard to justify buying new. The quality is drastically different and performance gains are large too.

If you absolutely cannot buy used there are a couple decent options out there in that range. Spyder and Azodin make good blowback options. Cheap but reliable and run well on CO2.

The step up from there is the GoG line, Mini, PMR, and G4. These all have usable boards but nothing amazing. Their barrels tend to be cheap, but usable if need be. Their bolt engines are well designed and fairly high performance out of the box. Often you see corners like the feed neck and ASA skimped on to save money. You should get a usable, enjoyable marker from any of the group. They should last quite a while and will shoot pretty nice. I would still suggest buying used in that price point but if you have to buy new those are all fairly equal, quality options for the dollar. More dollars may buy you more features but these will get you in the door and enjoying paintball.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:17 PM #17
KENNY_718

KENNY_718 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
KENNY_718 supports Team VICIOUS
KENNY_718 supports Team VICIOUS
KENNY_718 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Used Empire AXE
Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 AM #18
dcspurlock

dcspurlock has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
And maintenance on the lower end guns is a sum*****. I had an epiphany and it took me like two hours just to take it apart to relube it. Ions were basically the same way. If u haven't been around many guns internals I'd seriously consider a used higher end just because of the much easier maintenance.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 PM #19
DTMsurf
S.D. CA

You need to spend the Xtra $$ for a mini or proton. For some reason the industry set the bar at $300 anything below is junk and just above are some great little markers. If you absolutely had to buy new and couldn't spend over $300 I would get a tippmann A-5
Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 AM #20
SilentBall55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMsurf View Post
For some reason the industry set the bar at $300 anything below is junk
If manufacturers think like that, they are actually running the industry down the drain. All new player do not budget for a $300+ starter gun.

Years ago when the business was booming, every manufacturer had a good choice of guns for under $300.
SilentBall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 PM #21
Gagstr

You can get a used mini that looks good for about 180 if you look in the right places, b/s/t, CL, Ebay...
Gagstr is offline   Reply With Quote