Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-24-2016, 02:09 PM #1
Yakkers

Advantages of building a cocker?

I've been looking into getting another cocker because I irresponsibly sold my Trilogy Sport a bunch of years back and probably would have wanted to get something a little higher-end than that anyways. I love tinkering with stuff and being able to really call something my own so I've been looking into building one, but it seems like it's incredibly expensive, even if you go for really core parts. Like, it's looking like a $500-$600 build if I go basically bare minimum with everything.

So if I'd be getting mostly basic stock WGP parts, is there really any advantage to building my own here? I'm just confused that it costs that much when you can get a pretty solid condition used prostock for like $200, it seems like there's really not much purpose unless you're going all out with crazy third party custom parts for everything. I was hoping it'd be like building a PC where you can save some cash by taking the time to assemble it yourself.

It would be nice to have everything brand new and get to pick out the look I like from all the different generations of parts, but I'm not really sure it's worth the extra 300-400 bones. Maybe getting something used and replacing a few parts is the way to go?

Also, where are these unused old WGP parts like 2k2 body kits coming from, are they actually still being manufactured somewhere or are these just nonrenewable back stock? I ask because if new WGP parts will become increasingly harder find, I may want to grab a few parts I like while I still can and slap them onto whatever I end up getting.

Last edited by Yakkers : 07-24-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Yakkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2016, 02:34 PM #2
bonusball024

bonusball024 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Well, there are a few ways you can do it. My theory is autococker parts and accessories is a market of it's own. Before the 'cocker craze' restarted parts and accessories were they only way to make money from anything autococker related. That's why it may cost you a little more buying new. Another reason may be that most of the parts you find on the market right now are not stock parts... they are (for the most part) all upgrades.

The cheapest way to get an autococker or get parts for a build is probably to buy used.

A step up from buying used and building your own that is not going to be super expensive would be to take a look at the Empire Resurrection. It has been receiving a whole lot of praise from everyone that's gotten their hands on it and got some time on the trigger. Inception designs is coming out with a ton of parts for customization as well...

If you're looking for bodies take a look at paintballgateway. They have a variety of different WGP bodies on their sight both ano'd and raw. They may have some cheaper, more 'stock,' parts on their sight as well.

Advantages to building.. eh, cost probably isn't one of them unless you buy all used parts. The advantages of building is mostly self-satisfaction/gratification. It'll absolutely be YOUR marker and you'll know it inside and out if you know what I mean.

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2016, 05:05 PM #3
Yakkers

Hmm alright, well I'm thinking I might grab a few parts I know I'm going to want and then see if I can find a cheap non-functional cocker used for the remaining core stuff. That way I'll have a functional base for fairly cheap and then I can swap out the remaining used parts bit by bit as I see fit when I have the money to throw around to eventually make it my own.

A pretty significant chunk of the price is actually stuff like the detents, reg, and asa since CP seems to be the only real option for those and the cost adds up, and I'd have no problem running some used basic stuff for those to start.

Thanks for the insight!

Last edited by Yakkers : 07-24-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:43 PM #4
StarfuryTH

Plenty of used stuff on the B/S/T. I built my '02 for probably about $200 at the end of the day, not including barrels. Everything I picked up was used in good condition, and the end result, while not the prettiest thing in the world, runs spectacularly well.
StarfuryTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:55 AM #5
cfos00

has been a member for 10 years
If all you're trying to do is buy a cheap one with basic WGP parts (not knocking that at all---their later model stuff was really, really good), try finding one built after 2k and just buy a full working used one. It'll save you money and trouble. Shouldn't run you much over $125. If you can, look for something from 2k2 and up. Basically, try to find something with an easily adjustable LPR and HPR. If you can find that, and that shouldn't be at all difficult in your price range, it'll be cheaper than buying, assembling, and tuning it yourself.
cfos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:18 PM #6
Dk-79
SCHWING!

has been a member for 10 years
Dk-79 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I'm in the school that you should find a complete marker with the body you like and then upgrade around that. At least with a functioning marker from the gate, you have a good ball park to start from.

In time you'll be able to damn near time a marker without any air in it, but if you're just getting going, building from scratch without a functioning starting point might be a little daunting.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:37 AM #7
Yakkers

This is only partially related but... Is there anything extra keeping new members from joining customcockers right now? I read everything about the new account activation by admins including the thread suggested PMing a mod and updating your profile to make it clearer you're not a bot, but the limitations won't let me even get to my own profile to edit it and sending a PM left my outbox empty so I'm not sure if it even sent.

It's been about a week, and I'm seeing some starting point complete markers I'm really looking at so I'm pretty eager to get on.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:26 PM #8
Intern1

Annual Supporting Member
Intern1 is Legendary
Intern1 supports Ninja Paintball
Intern1 supports Empire
You mean other than having a gun that is completly tailored to your specifications, and having a ton of sweet old school points, and last but not least a back block whipping back and forth.
Intern1 is offline   Reply With Quote