PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 PM #22
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
Yeah, I did. I was just explaining what I thought was the most relevant answer to his question.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 PM #23
skillyherman
Thanatosensitivity

Big fan of Sister Wives here.

How does a Mormon go about getting more wives? Like, say you already have a wife or two, would it be socially acceptable for you to flirt with other women and go on dates and such? Always been puzzled by that.

Do you think aliens exist?
skillyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:50 PM #24
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillyherman View Post
Big fan of Sister Wives here.

How does a Mormon go about getting more wives? Like, say you already have a wife or two, would it be socially acceptable for you to flirt with other women and go on dates and such? Always been puzzled by that.

Do you think aliens exist?
Unlike popular culture believes, polygamy is forbidden by the LDS church (although some of the split offs such as FLDS do). It is currently an excommunication-able offense.

And I do believe life exists on other planets; I don't think any has tried to contact us or visit us, and that they look pretty much like us.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:13 PM #25
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
Is it true that mormons think adam and eve lived in missouri? and if so, why would you think that?

Instagram
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:46 PM #26
memorex
I'm Suppish

memorex helped look for balloons
memorex is playing at Living Legends V
memorex owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
memorex supports Team VICIOUS
memorex is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Sorry, this is all I think about when I hear the word mormons....
Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 PM #27
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoBaller1991 View Post
Is it true that mormons think adam and eve lived in missouri? and if so, why would you think that?
I don't know about that. The saints (when they lived in Missouri before the extermination order) were commanded through revelation to built a temple in Missouri, which was to be the foundation for a city, the "New Jerusalem". Through the sloth of the saints (which we are currently still under condemnation for) it was never completed. Some people speculate that it was the sight of the Garden of Eden or were Adam and Eve lived right after they were kicked out. But that's just a guess, no actual revelation that I've heard of.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:27 PM #28
memorex
I'm Suppish

memorex helped look for balloons
memorex is playing at Living Legends V
memorex owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
memorex supports Team VICIOUS
memorex is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Lol at the garden of eden being located in Missouri. When that is said, you know someone is feeding you bull****
Old 08-20-2013, 06:24 PM #29
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by memorex View Post
Lol at the garden of eden being located in Missouri. When that is said, you know someone is feeding you bull****
Your condescension is appreciated.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 PM #30
Iamamartianchurch

How are all you folks as nice as you are? Mormons have to be (with the exception of my friend's wife) some of the most pleasant people I've been around.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:55 PM #31
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnctaj View Post
There's a pretty decent article that explains a lot of mormonism's success in the... I think it was huffington post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephe...b_2083125.html
That was a fascinating article. I agree with everything in there. Plus, it was refreshing to see a positive news article about mormonism.

And I think the Saints are pleasant has to do a lot with how we live. No coffee, alcohol, or tobacco (which a lot of the time makes people irritable and unhappy), service of others, etc, helps a lot of the time with positiveness. Although I have met my fair share of mormons who are jerks. Especially where I live (a small town in Utah, probably 90% Mormon) there are too many people that are d-bags to people that aren't members, or think everywhere outside of Utah is an apocalyptic wasteland.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 AM #32
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

has been a member for 10 years
PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Why is no one else allowed to see the gold plates? I'd think that if the Mormans really believed that their brand of religion was the one true religion, they'd want to parade those plates around for all to see... to sort of prove their point.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 AM #33
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
There's a pretty decent article that explains a lot of mormonism's success in the... I think it was huffington post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephe...b_2083125.html
Good read, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe13 View Post
That was a fascinating article. I agree with everything in there. Plus, it was refreshing to see a positive news article about mormonism.

And I think the Saints are pleasant has to do a lot with how we live. No coffee, alcohol, or tobacco (which a lot of the time makes people irritable and unhappy), service of others, etc, helps a lot of the time with positiveness. Although I have met my fair share of mormons who are jerks. Especially where I live (a small town in Utah, probably 90% Mormon) there are too many people that are d-bags to people that aren't members, or think everywhere outside of Utah is an apocalyptic wasteland.
I tend to think that most homogeneous communities are hostile to foreign elements. I can definitely see the need to be this way.

I once had a conversation with a good friend of a good friend of mine. She was discussing Mormonism in her family. She had nothing positive to say about them, and much of her focus was on the expectations your culture places on women. I thought about engaging her but decided to express my favorable view of it and leave the conversation to her polemic monologuing. As most "artistic" femininists living in Hollywood will do. Soon enough the credits rolled past her eyes and it was on to the next sequel in a long series of narcissistic rants.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 AM #34
F1VENOM

They are pretty damn intense with the social pressure on women. They're expected to be the perfect housewife and homemaker much like the Amish.
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 AM #35
Iamamartianchurch

Yeah that was the jest of what the butch was telling me,well us.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:07 PM #36
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
That's okay, 'cause the rest of the country, especially the Mormons, thinks that Utah is, so...
Crazy? lol

"Why is no one else allowed to see the gold plates? I'd think that if the Mormans really believed that their brand of religion was the one true religion, they'd want to parade those plates around for all to see... to sort of prove their point." -PBOldtimer

The same reason people without a temple recommend aren't allowed in the temple after its dedicated; or why almost anybody isn't allowed in certain parts of temples. They are extremely sacred, parading them around would be disrespectful and sacrilegious.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:09 PM #37
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Yeah that was the jest of what the butch was telling me,well us.
You're also expected to marry young and make it work, if you're not married as a woman by 21 you're considered a spinster and they have entire wards devoted to 18-30 singles for the express purpose of shacking up and squirting out new member.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:15 PM #38
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
And the whole thing with women is misunderstood. In "The Family, A Proclamation to the World" it says "By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children." It also says, however, that individual adaptation is necessary. Read the whole thing here. https://www.lds.org/topics/family-proclamation

While there is social pressure on women to become mothers, we believe that mother is the most sacred responsibility on earth. Far more than any priesthood office.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:17 PM #39
F1VENOM

It's a smokescreen for keeping women out of power.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:42 PM #40
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Here is a question for you, Mormon:

Are you happy?
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM #41
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
You're also expected to marry young and make it work, if you're not married as a woman by 21 you're considered a spinster and they have entire wards devoted to 18-30 singles for the express purpose of shacking up and squirting out new member.
I appreciate the fact that their culture has standards and enforces them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
It's a smokescreen for keeping women out of power.
They have good sense enough to understand biological predisposition as well as the time tested value of patriarchy. Im a monster, I know.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:49 PM #42
F1VENOM

It works for them, but of course it leads to a lot of debauchery and unhappiness behind closed doors which I didn't expect. The happiness is largely a charade to keep up with the Jones's but they really are super nice people. There's a lot of forced indoctrination and it's very cult-ish, though I think that's too derogatory a word.

Keep in mind I'm talking broadly.