PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-17-2014, 02:05 PM #1
BloodinatorX

BloodinatorX has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
BloodinatorX has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
How do you deal with it all?

I find it very easy to be overwhelmed with the current state of the world and humanity. Science is somehow the devil and is blasphemous unless it aligns with one's core beliefs. Religion of the majority outweighs the rights and freedoms of the minority. Inequality, homelessness, lack of healthcare, lack of jobs, lack of opportunity, lack of compassion for those in need, lack of affordable education/devaluation of education, the enshrining of hate and intolerance, the backward ways of the old South. That's just here at home! What about the endless holy wars, modern day slavery - sex-slave trade? How do you deal the the hopeless feeling that everything around us is being run be insane people and there's nothing you can do about it? I feel trapped on this planet being run by heartless psychos that only care about production, money and reproduction. Also, just as a side note, I consider myself a progressive Christian with an extremely open mind. I try not to judge, I try to help people I can, and I try to maintain a positive attitude for the sake of those around me. I'm highly disturbed with Christians begin to say how we need to hate and judge others for their life decisions. Life is too short to live by the rules of others. To each their own. Live and let live. What is it, inside us all, that gives us the overwhelming desire to force our beliefs on those who want nothing to do with them?

Main: Blue Invert Mini - Pic

Backup: The GreenMachine - Custom 01 Cocker - Pic

Last edited by BloodinatorX : 07-17-2014 at 02:22 PM.
BloodinatorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2014, 02:22 PM #2
sucka T.

has been a member for 10 years
First thing you have to do is appreciate the good. You live in Portland, Oregon with an internet connection and a sick custom autococker. When was the last time you were thirsty and unable to find water to drink? Hungry and not enough money to buy food? We certainly hit the jackpot to live in a relatively great place. I don't get bothered at my home by military, police, nor live in fear of my house getting blown up by bombs or shrapnel, and if anything did happen to my home, my neighbors/family/government would be able to back me up with assistance, just as I would be to them. Feel blessed by whatever deity or non deity you believe in and be thankful.

Next you have two options. You can either trick yourself into becoming a depressed emotionless zombie, like I have done, or you can try to change things, like Dr. King, or Gandhi, or Miley Cyrus.

ThreadSavers®

http://www.ohnoes.org/

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=891102

Last edited by sucka T. : 07-17-2014 at 02:24 PM.
sucka T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:33 PM #3
BloodinatorX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucka T. View Post
First thing you have to do is appreciate the good. You live in Portland, Oregon with an internet connection and a sick custom autococker. When was the last time you were thirsty and unable to find water to drink? Hungry and not enough money to buy food? We certainly hit the jackpot to live in a relatively great place. I don't get bothered at my home by military, police, nor live in fear of my house getting blown up by bombs or shrapnel, and if anything did happen to my home, my neighbors/family/government would be able to back me up with assistance, just as I would be to them. Feel blessed by whatever deity or non deity you believe in and be thankful.

Next you have two options. You can either trick yourself into becoming a depressed emotionless zombie, like I have done, or you can try to change things, like Dr. King, or Gandhi, or Miley Cyrus.
LOL! At last part; I'm somewhat of a depressed zombie who dreams of one day being a Gandhi, but I have a long way to go . I am however, very grateful and content with what I've built for myself, as well as for my family and friends. It's not my life that I'm worried about, it's the rest of the world that IS living with bombs, shrapnel, imprisonment, hunger, and suffering that bothers me so much. I realize there is a side of humanity that is so self absorbed and distracted by material possessions and their own psychosis that they don't see, nor care about what is going on all around them, and on the other side, there is me. I'm overly effected(affected? I swear I went to college for a little) by all of these things. I'm hoping that, eventually, I can somehow find the middle ground and maybe even disconnect myself just enough to be able to critically think and help find solutions to the world's problems... then I imagine being assassinated instantly and my thought bubble gets popped lol!

Thanks for the response

Old 07-19-2014, 09:10 PM #4
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

Yeah, I know, looks like something you'd see in needlepoint on your great-aunts wall, but seems to fit the discussion.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:08 PM #5
Savage Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodinatorX View Post
What is it, inside us all, that gives us the overwhelming desire to force our beliefs on those who want nothing to do with them?
I'd say...in group thinking, competition for resources and a general selfishness are some contributing factors. I was kinda in emotionless zombie phase for a while but then i met my paintball team and have been doing better since. I still recognize our species is going down hill fast but its makes it easier to tolerate when you have a good group of people going through it with you.
Savage Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:37 PM #6
snoopay700

Honestly the world's not in as dire straits as people seem to want it to be. Yes there are definitely atrocities that are happening, and there always will be as long as there are animals, human or otherwise. I don't think you can pin all of it on religion either, some people are just interested in helping themselves.

There are terrible things that are happening over seas, but right now America's not in a bad spot, and there are things getting better.

Look at your life, your community. Odds are it's pretty good. Enjoy that life, and try to do what you can to leave the world a better place if that's your thing. When it comes down to it, most people are at least decent at heart.

Sure, there are reasons to be depressed, but i wouldn't say the reasons you listed are much cause. For most people it's things that happen in their day to day lives. The world and humanity are both fine. There are just a few jerks here and there, don't let them bother you.

Who is DLX Audrey? Find out!:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2766709

Il n'y a point de sots si incommodes que ceux qui ont de l'esprit.

Last edited by snoopay700 : 07-29-2014 at 12:40 PM.
snoopay700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:31 PM #7
Iamamartianchurch

I go to church:

Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:30 PM #8
BloodinatorX

LOL^^^

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm sure that this will just be something I struggle with for most my life. I've considered church but I find the whole finding a progressive open-minded community church process too much to deal with and potentially, awkward and extremely disappointing. I don't like a whole lot of what current Christian/Catholic churches are teaching and promoting. I don't agree with evangelism at all! I don't agree with belittling anyone's belief or lack of belief by promoting your belief as the best or only belief with threat of eternal damnation. That may have worked thousands of years ago but that's not how people work today. Anyway, if you have more, keep 'em coming. If not, feel free to let it die.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:38 PM #9
pmiboyz

pmiboyz helped look for balloons
It may seem that there is a lot of bad in the world but you have to realize things are getting better.

Just 50 years ago black were unable to drink the same water as whites. A little while before that half of the population were unable to vote! In the 20th century alone it is estimated that 200 million+ people died from war and genocide.

If you watch the mainstream news alot there will just be reports of the negative. This may influence your perception to think there are only bad things going on! Whatever you focus on is what you tend to see. So focus on all the good things going on like charity, human rights, social reform, better education, advances in medicine, globalization, and reduction in wars.

With the widespread use of the internet I think things will only improve faster aswell!

It is good to not be naive to all the bad, but if focusing on it is making you feel down try and focus on the good
pmiboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:38 PM #10
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiboyz View Post
So focus on all the good things going on like charity, human rights, social reform, better education, advances in medicine, globalization, and reduction in wars.
I'm not sure why you chose to include globalization in a list of good things... but I guess that question belongs in the politics section.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:32 PM #11
pmiboyz

globalization isn't only a political conversation necessarily.

humans are generally afraid of the unknown, that much is obvious. We used to go to war with tribes only a few miles away. As familiarity between tribes grew wars declined and they formed a bigger society. What was happening is that they realized that they are similarly human and there is nothing to be afraid of. They didn't really feel threatened anymore.
This process continued and progressed and now we are here today. Wars are scarce relative to the past and one day a world wide society will emerge.

This sounds idealistic and utopian and maybe even a bit scary. But with it will come peace and a combined advancement for all.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:20 PM #12
snoopay700

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodinatorX View Post
LOL^^^

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm sure that this will just be something I struggle with for most my life. I've considered church but I find the whole finding a progressive open-minded community church process too much to deal with and potentially, awkward and extremely disappointing. I don't like a whole lot of what current Christian/Catholic churches are teaching and promoting. I don't agree with evangelism at all! I don't agree with belittling anyone's belief or lack of belief by promoting your belief as the best or only belief with threat of eternal damnation. That may have worked thousands of years ago but that's not how people work today. Anyway, if you have more, keep 'em coming. If not, feel free to let it die.
You don't need church to feel good about the world as it is. America in the year 2014 is the place to be. Things are getting better and better.

Like I said earlier, yes there are things that suck in the world. There will always be things that suck. If you focus on just that and ignore all of the good that's happening in the world though you'll just be miserable.

If you want to feel good about where we stand today, just watch this video, i'd rather not reiterate it all here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SfcGmEVuBY

Who is DLX Audrey? Find out!:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2766709

Il n'y a point de sots si incommodes que ceux qui ont de l'esprit.
snoopay700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:46 PM #13
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
globalization isn't only a political conversation necessarily.

humans are generally afraid of the unknown, that much is obvious. We used to go to war with tribes only a few miles away. As familiarity between tribes grew wars declined and they formed a bigger society. What was happening is that they realized that they are similarly human and there is nothing to be afraid of. They didn't really feel threatened anymore.
This process continued and progressed and now we are here today. Wars are scarce relative to the past and one day a world wide society will emerge.

This sounds idealistic and utopian and maybe even a bit scary. But with it will come peace and a combined advancement for all.

This is contemporary mythology. For those who believe we've moved beyond such things.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:36 PM #14
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

Yeah, I know, looks like something you'd see in needlepoint on your great-aunts wall, but seems to fit the discussion.
My grandmother actually does have that in needlepoint on her wall.

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:48 PM #15
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
My grandmother actually does have that in needlepoint on her wall.
A lot of grandmothers do.

But if you think about it, the message (regardless of any theological connotation) is sound.

Me, I'm just a guy, struggling daily to try and claw my way to that good old American dream.

And millions of people are starving, dying of horrible diseases, struggling under oppressive regimes, and so on. And thanks to increased global awareness I get to know about it, but I can't do squat about it. If I could snap my fingers and make the bad stuff go away I would, but I can't.

But bad things happen near by, in my own community. These I can do something about (if only a little). If I spent all my time worrying about what I can't change, then I wouldn't be able to fix what I can.

So we all need to concentrate on what we CAN do. The little things, the things that can seem insignificant in the "grand worldwide scheme", but can mean a huge difference on a local scale.

If you're a billionaire and want to try and eradicate malaria, please do. If you're a broke student and the best you can do is donate to the local food bank that extra can of Spam you weren't planning on eating that you got in your last carepackage from your folks, then PLEASE DO!

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:47 AM #16
pmiboyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
This is contemporary mythology. For those who believe we've moved beyond such things.

Humans evolve just like everything else.

It's natural selection, really. Either we learn to live harmoniously with each other and the earth or we die out like the millions of other species.

I do think that better technology helps us evolve faster, though.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:46 AM #17
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Humans evolve just like everything else.

It's natural selection, really. Either we learn to live harmoniously with each other and the earth or we die out like the millions of other species.

I do think that better technology helps us evolve faster, though.
I don't think you know what evolution is.

Why are you boiling down the complexity of life into a binary and totally arbitrary choice between what you want ideally and total destruction?

Every mode of human society has started out wreckless and found relative equilibrium after. Hunters over hunted and incurred massive starvation and extinction. After that, hunter gatherer society came into being which was not plagued by ecological imbalances. When agriculture was developed it wrecked topsoil and overtime lent to less yields and more mass starvation. Over planting in some cases such as the Maya, actually incurred climate change, locally, which contributed to the famine that ultimately knocked their civilization into oblivion. These days organic methods of farming exist that replenish topsoil and if you discount industrial farms, allow for great subsistence....

The kinks of industry haven't quite been worked out yet and just like every other mode of society, we're gonna have to live with the consequences of the shock industrial society incurs on the greater ecosystem. Humanity is in for a rough road ahead but it's by no means doomed.

The realities of being social primates living in a finite planet mean that conflict is inevitable. It's not worth even trying to debate that.