Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 AM #1
matojami

Is having a starting a store at my field worth it?

I have the extra room, but will it really be worth starting a store? About how many guns do you guys sell a month? Or should I just stick to paint sales?
matojami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM #2
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball is playing at Living Legends VII
If people are asking for it then you might want to set one up.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:24 PM #3
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
If you're not in a fairly decent sized metro area....it may not be worth your while . Of course if you run open games with tons of players using their own gear...meaning.....100 a week or so then it may be worth it to start selling smaller items as a test market. Things people need, like pads, goggles, tanks, entry level gun packages. There's more profit and less up front cost in the smaller accessories I think. Others may have a more experienced opinion. I'm going on instinct here.

The problem is....if you have a pro shop, you need someone to be working in it all the time. That costs money. So you need to know you can sell enough product to cover the costs and turn a profit. It's tough these days with online stores.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" critical .680 barrel and cure 3 + bolt F/S

DM12 red with matching Boomy F/s

Last edited by MstrKey : 01-24-2013 at 02:27 PM.
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 PM #4
99BPS

Soft goods are key. easy to care high margin.
Swabs, goggles, jerseys,

in terms of hard parts, pick an entry marker and sell it, no selection just a solid cheaper marker for those so captivated by their day or play they wanna grab one. Or for those with nice markers that break down and dont wanna play a day with a rental. (GoG enemy ftw).

Some barrels that fit your field paint really well are good too, people can up there game that day a lot with a matched barrel.
Mech: GoG EnmeY
Pump: Az KP2, Pre2K WGP PumPed Cocker
Old School: Evil Pimp #1: Black/Silver
Super Pimp (#2): *Minty stock* SuperMan color swap
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 PM #5
GatSplat

I'll toss out my opinion for what it's worth... We used to have a pro shop - sold tons of stuff... but in the end. A huge hassle and very little if any profit. You are dealing with an industry where the manufacturers have terrible margins, they sell the product them selves on their own web pages, they change makes, models, go out of business, start under new names, have terrible customer service, and on and on and on.

I'm used to retail and internet sales - my scuba shop sells millions of dollars worth of scuba equipment a year, locally in our shop, and more millions on line. So I know about inventory control, have all the systems in place - and when it came down to it.. .the paintball sales was just not worth it. We had a full pro shop at our field, and now I carry just a few feed necks, tank o-rings, and some barrel socks.

It turned out it's just too much hassle for the tiny margins. This is a true and typical scenario:

kid - "Do you have feed necks?"

Me - "Yes, for which gun?"

kid - "An ion."

Me - rummage through a box, pop up with a black feed neck for an ion.

kid - "do you have it in blue?"

me - "let me check...." rummage more..... Find it in blue.

kid - "no, not gloss blue.. do you have dust blue?"

me - "hold on.. I'll look for one...." rummage some more, come up with a dust blue locking feed neck for an ion "here you go..."

kid - "how much"

me - "Tell you what - I'll sell it to you for basically my cost - how about 20 bucks..."

kid - "Oh... well I don't have 20 bucks. I just want to see if you had one... thanks."

Me - realize, that even if the kid would have bought it... I would have made more money selling a slushy to the sweaty kid next to him.

If you decide you want to get into sales... I have boxes of misc stuff I will dump for cheap. Come grab it all... and in there.. there is probably still a dust blue feedneck for an ion.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! No monthly fees.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 PM #6
ericl1982

Could not Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by matojami View Post
I have the extra room, but will it really be worth starting a store? About how many guns do you guys sell a month? Or should I just stick to paint sales?

I would at least Set up some accessories like gloves and other items that are a high demand and a decent markup to be made on them could not hurt to start small and work up once demand can be gauged
ericl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:28 PM #7
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Have and sell what people need/want to use that day.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:13 PM #8
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post

Me - realize, that even if the kid would have bought it... I would have made more money selling a slushy to the sweaty kid next to him.

If you decide you want to get into sales... I have boxes of misc stuff I will dump for cheap. Come grab it all... and in there.. there is probably still a dust blue feedneck for an ion.
Slushies, snacks and cold drinks are pure profit!

ETEK 3LT, with 14" critical .680 barrel and cure 3 + bolt F/S

DM12 red with matching Boomy F/s
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote