Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-03-2013, 04:57 PM #1
daveumasspaint
NEVER STOP

daveumasspaint is an NCPA player
daveumasspaint plays in the APPA D4 division
Players of the same college system.

So its has been a month since I emailed the ncpa and still have not received a response. I also contacted Joe , who is director of NEIC and he did not reply although it was through Facebook and not official channels. I thought I would post here to see if I could get my question answered.

As for as I know the only functional club for paintball for the entire UMass system is here in Amherst. Dartmouth , Lowell , Boston , Worcester all do not have a club running , and I have had failed attempts trying to contact people to get info on previous clubs that existed at Dartmouth and Lowell.

I have been approached by a couple players who are not in UMass Amherst and would still like to play for the team in tournaments. My primary question is if they are allowed to do so.

Rule book says :

2.2.1.1. Different campuses in the same university system are considered separate schools,
unless :
2.2.1.1.1. Degrees awarded to students attending either campus are identical, and
2.2.1.1.2. Students applying to the school apply through the same admissions process
for both campuses, and
2.2.1.1.3. Students at both campuses pay the same tuition, and
2.2.1.1.4. Enrolled students can register for classes at either campus at-will

As far as I know both points 1 and 4 are correct. I do not think that the admissions process is the same although I may be wrong. And as far as I know other UMass schools have slightly lower tuition because of their size.

I was wondering if I could get a clear answer on if they would be legible to play or not. As far as I am concerned I do not see why they cannot if their school ( of way smaller size) does not have a current club going or is dead.

For those that say to start one at their school , I believe the recreational group process there is alot harder if not impossible to manage. It was hard enough starting the club here as well as getting funding that I do not see the purpose for 1 player to putting all the effort to start a club that may or may not stay because of lack of support from school / funding issues. We have everything available and ready to provide.
Playground Kids
UMass Minutemen
Philadelphia Fear
Team No Name Crew
daveumasspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 PM #2
isgrowitaego

isgrowitaego plays in the PSP
isgrowitaego owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
isgrowitaego is an NCPA player
isgrowitaego plays in the APPA D4 division
since you can transit campuses to take classes you should be able to taake from that campuses player pool. We temple have a similar campus structure, but our student rec is all done through our main campus on north broad st.
TEMPLE UNIVERSITY OWLS #16
Pbfashion /Ruthlesspb.com/Crusader Paintball/RED BULL
isgrowitaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 PM #3
quailman187
Bingo 1

quailman187 posts videos on PbNation
quailman187 is an NCPA National Champion
quailman187 plays in the APPA D4 division
You can do what we did and utilize the pick-up team option. We had players from 3 different schools playing together on the same team. As long as theyre all full time, I dont think it matters what school they go to.

http://www.ubpaintball.com/

http://www.dirtnapswag.com/#!
quailman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 AM #4
Apollo918
Proud 'Fossil' Owner

Apollo918 plays in the PSP
Apollo918 supports Team VICIOUS
however. pick up teams cannot earn series points... which really doesnt matter unless you play every event, but its still something to think about
Old 04-04-2013, 02:35 PM #5
daveumasspaint
NEVER STOP

I kinda just wanted to get an official word but i think we will be okay
Playground Kids
UMass Minutemen
Philadelphia Fear
Team No Name Crew
Old 04-05-2013, 11:06 AM #6
Rebekah
s3aki7ten

Rebekah plays in the PSP
Rebekah is an NCPA player
Rebekah plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailman187 View Post
You can do what we did and utilize the pick-up team option. We had players from 3 different schools playing together on the same team. As long as theyre all full time, I dont think it matters what school they go to.
This is generally not how pick up players work. Hopefully you got that cleared before rolling with it

2.2.1. Players may sign up as a team of players on one roster or, for Class AA and High School
play only, individually on a Pick-Up team.
2.2.1.1. All players on a team roster must be eligible players enrolled at the same school.
2.2.1.1.1. Team rosters must include a minimum of 4 players from the same school.
If a team has less than 5 players, the team may request a pick-up player be added to their
team.
Rebekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:22 PM #7
daveumasspaint
NEVER STOP

To be completely honest is one player is the deciding factor between playing an event and not playing an event , I don't see why the NCPA would have a problem with it.
Playground Kids
UMass Minutemen
Philadelphia Fear
Team No Name Crew
Old 04-11-2013, 01:45 PM #8
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveumasspaint View Post
To be completely honest is one player is the deciding factor between playing an event and not playing an event , I don't see why the NCPA would have a problem with it.
Because then everyone says that they are just one player short of playing or not playing an event, and we have a bunch of teams that are not actually college teams.

The NCPA exists to host competitions between different colleges. That's not the same as competitions between teams of players who take college classes.

That may seem like an immaterial distinction, but many of our teams are funded based on the fact they are competing in intercollegiate competition, and failure to maintain that standard puts everyone's funding at risk.

It's also not an unreasonable burden to expect that college teams put forth the effort to promote paintball on their campus so that they can find and field 5 players out of thousands of students.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 PM #9
daveumasspaint
NEVER STOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
Because then everyone says that they are just one player short of playing or not playing an event, and we have a bunch of teams that are not actually college teams.

The NCPA exists to host competitions between different colleges. That's not the same as competitions between teams of players who take college classes.

That may seem like an immaterial distinction, but many of our teams are funded based on the fact they are competing in intercollegiate competition, and failure to maintain that standard puts everyone's funding at risk.

It's also not an unreasonable burden to expect that college teams put forth the effort to promote paintball on their campus so that they can find and field 5 players out of thousands of students.

- Chris
understandable. I still would like a confirmation of weather or not he will be able to play with us. Joe has emailed me back so I will be waiting for a reply from him
Playground Kids
UMass Minutemen
Philadelphia Fear
Team No Name Crew