PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-27-2013, 04:15 PM #106
Bgloriani

Bgloriani owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Bgloriani plays in the APPA beginner division
So with Furious having such a short control bore, does it effect the accuracy a whole lot compared to a barrel with a longer control bore given the same conditions?
Bgloriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2013, 03:24 PM #107
acabello72

acabello72 is playing at Living Legends VII
acabello72 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
sorry to bring up an oldish thread but the control bore isn't going to effect your accuracy as much as the quality of paint you use. which as most of us know will vary from field to field if you have to use their paint. The longer control bore will help you with consistency and efficiency. I'll give you an example. Using my freak kit with a 685 insert I was getting readings of 288, 292 294 286 etc... I switched to the death touch 2 piece barrel with a 686 back I was getting 296 305 307 300 306. same take, reg pressure everything. so you see the fps increase allowing you to turn your reg pressure down some.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:48 PM #108
Jinx18
Dynamic

Jinx18 plays in the APPA D4 division
The shorter control bore does not have any significant impact on accuracy. It is possible that a shorter control bore is slightly more accurate since there is less bore length to impart spin on the ball causing it to curve. This is very very small and not significant compared to other factors like quality of paint. The shorter control bore does decrease efficiency though compared to a longer control bore with everything else the same.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!

Last edited by Jinx18 : 07-27-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Jinx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 AM #109
craigert

Front Barrel

Something I would like to see tested is the bore size of the front barrel. My thought is that accuracy could be improved if they start making the front barrel bore size a little smaller so that the ball doesn't bounce around these .7+ front bore sizes. I forget which manufacturer I spoke with said they are going to start to explore this. It was either Critical or Lurker.
craigert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:34 AM #110
Jinx18
Dynamic

I did measure all the tips in this test as it is something I feel is important. Not necessarily for accuracy but for efficiency. If there is a pressure differential and the ball accelerating the ball will center in the barrel and not touch the sides. To test this you can put a coating of baby powder in the barrel and take 1 shot. Unscrew the barrel and look for streaks from the ball touching.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:08 PM #111
sourlemons
Shock&Awe

sourlemons plays in the APPA D5 division
sourlemons has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sourlemons has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Very nicely done! Thanks!
sourlemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:03 PM #112
VinylJunky

LOL Love this post. I'm sure you've helped lots people make up their mind on getting what they need/want.

Do i hear compensation here from these manufacturers or "where to buy?" retailers? hummmmm......JKJK hahahaa dont need people saying you're favoring one to another cause of $$ but if these retailers help then might have something there.
thanks for your time and money you've spent.

Did you see any big differences between barrels in groupings? Just wondering and was just curious.

Last edited by VinylJunky : 08-18-2013 at 08:10 PM.
VinylJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 PM #113
griffan2
Parabolic Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
griffan2 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super69ur View Post
bob long barrels are made by CP, but not nearly identical. The Bob Long backs are male-to-male threaded, as opposed to CP's male-to-female. Bob Long Tips also have much more porting than CP counterparts. Longer control bores in Bob Longs when compared to CP's as well.
not made by Cp but the bob long designer worked for CP and took those elements to his 1 piece.
griffan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 PM #114
Ravenstylea2

Ravenstylea2 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Ravenstylea2 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
My setup:

2K12 Bob Long G6R
14" .685 Furious Lotus Barrel
Ninja Pro 68/45
Rotor

I always use high quality RPS Premium paint and have used for many years, a Dye UL and UL Boomstick, Lurker barrel, and CP 1 piece. Can honestly say that the Furious has never let me down with accuracy, and it is great for one-balling people from range..it's really super accurate!! Love it!

Edit: the short control bore hasn't hindered accuracy to any degree from my experience after going through many cases of paint, I think the straight porting and honing of the barrel is really what makes it truly accurate.

Last edited by Ravenstylea2 : 08-21-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Ravenstylea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 PM #115
Nicad
Common sense since '77!

Annual Supporting Member
Nicad is a founding member
Nicad works for a Paintball manufacturer
Nice work! I'm interested to see a Deadlywind Fibur compared with other "top" barrels.

Like Deadlywind on FB!
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:58 AM #116
Blappa
Toshi

Blappa has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I would also like to see how this compares to some of the Carbon Fiber barrels. Overall excellent job, thanks for taking the time to do this.

Last edited by Blappa : 08-23-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Blappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:16 PM #117
shmere4

This is awesome. I play speedball and woodsball 50/50. I shoot a GT or a Vapor, would you recommend a Death touch or a Furious Lotus barrel and do you think buying the entire kit from either is necessary?
shmere4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:24 AM #118
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
Very good testing done in this thread, Good job!

I've been searching for that elusive "flat" shot since I started playing paintball in the woods. And with backspin barrels it is amazing what you can do long range... I'm pretty sold on my MonsterSpin barrel that I have been using all year, it is crazy what this barrel can do. But, it is probably 20db's louder than any of these high ends, as there is NO porting.

It was interesting to see the variance shot to shot. I've been using a Tippmann A5 since I started playing paintball, and I hear all the time that you need "compressed air" and a high end marker to get "consistent" fps shot to shot...

But, with polished internals and Co2, using my STOCK barrel, my gun shoots as good as his tests (as far as the velocity spikes shot to shot).

Pretty shocking considering I am using a super low end set up, with no aftermarket regulators.

I also found it curious the amount of "step" in each of the high end barrels... I thought they would be the same size all the way through... Low end barrels are also stepped, and I assumed the high ends were all the same front to back. Guess not!

Trails of Doom Stickers on Ebay!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:48 PM #119
907stone
AK Pump

907stone has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sticky this!
Originally posted by Kindadinosaur "Adrenaline. Itís what drives us to return to the field, week after week. The bruises we wear are badges of honor, and proof of our dedication to our chosen craft. One need only examine the smoking remains of our bank balances to see the extent of this addiction. We breath paintball. We live paintball. We are paintball."

PUMP OT
907stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 PM #120
Jinx18
Dynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylJunky View Post
Did you see any big differences between barrels in groupings? Just wondering and was just curious.
I did not notice any difference worth noting. Accuracy is largely effected by paint quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmere4 View Post
This is awesome. I play speedball and woodsball 50/50. I shoot a GT or a Vapor, would you recommend a Death touch or a Furious Lotus barrel and do you think buying the entire kit from either is necessary?
Both are great. I go back and forth between the two but generally shoot the deathtouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
Very good testing done in this thread, Good job!

I've been searching for that elusive "flat" shot since I started playing paintball in the woods. And with backspin barrels it is amazing what you can do long range... I'm pretty sold on my MonsterSpin barrel that I have been using all year, it is crazy what this barrel can do. But, it is probably 20db's louder than any of these high ends, as there is NO porting.

It was interesting to see the variance shot to shot. I've been using a Tippmann A5 since I started playing paintball, and I hear all the time that you need "compressed air" and a high end marker to get "consistent" fps shot to shot...

But, with polished internals and Co2, using my STOCK barrel, my gun shoots as good as his tests (as far as the velocity spikes shot to shot).

Pretty shocking considering I am using a super low end set up, with no aftermarket regulators.

http://www.youtube .com/watch ?v=aRhSIc7Sf2g

I also found it curious the amount of "step" in each of the high end barrels... I thought they would be the same size all the way through... Low end barrels are also stepped, and I assumed the high ends were all the same front to back. Guess not!
Yea barrels that put a spin on the ball are a whole different category. As far as the step. These barrels are all two piece which have two different bores. One piece barrels are generally one bore the whole way through. Whether it is a high end or cheap barrel doesn't effect that.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 PM #121
Jinx18
Dynamic

And thanks for all the positive comments. I appreciate it!

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:18 PM #122
Fox
www.purepwnage.com

has been a member for 10 years
Cool test! I don't know if you measured the exact size of the ball and got some sort of average out of that, but let me know if you did.

I did a quick calculation to get some sort of consistency value, which is the average deviation of fps from the average of the 20 balls you recorded:

Lapco Fuse .683: 3.235fps
Furious Lotus .690: 3.385fps
Critical 100G .694: 3.795fps
Dye Ultralite .689: 4.04fps
Lapco Fuse .695: 4.38fps
Disruptive Deathtouch .692: 4.75fps
Macdev Shift .693: 4.9fps
Lapco Fuse .690: 5.53fps

Now, if we take out two of the outliers from the data, this brings the Furious Lotus to 2.44fps, and the Lapco Fuse .683 to 2.65fps.

For readers, the bore of the barrels listed above is the actual measured by Jinx18, and not the advertised provided by the manufacturer. What I think is probably the most interesting factor in the consistency numbers, is the differences in just the bore of the Lapco barrels. Unfortunately, without the exact average size of the balls we don't know for sure which bore is closest to the actual average. But we can assume that the .683 Lapco underbored the paint given the increase in efficiency, and is pretty much better in every aspect than the other Lapco barrels, both in efficiency and consistency. I know this wasn't an underbore vs overbore test, but it just more statistics pointing to an advantage in underboring as far as I'm concerned when you look at just the three Lapco barrels.

I'd really like to see what would happen to the consistency of the Furious Lotus barrel if it was a similar bore to the .683 Lapco. Throwing out the outliers, we have a consistency rating better than an underbored barrel, and not too far behind given the inclusion of the outliers.

VIRTUE
Feedback
1UP ARMY

Last edited by Fox : 11-04-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:42 AM #123
Jinx18
Dynamic

I did not happen to measure the diameter of the balls. Interesting data. Thanks for posting.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Old 12-12-2013, 02:24 PM #124
SynystrAssassin
Flawless is a habit

SynystrAssassin has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SynystrAssassin has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Would you say the discrepancies in bore sizes are consistent in all backs? I.e. since the Disruptive .688 is really .692, would you say that the .678 is actually .682?
SynystrAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:29 PM #125
got wake?

got wake? supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynystrAssassin View Post
Would you say the discrepancies in bore sizes are consistent in all backs? I.e. since the Disruptive .688 is really .692, would you say that the .678 is actually .682?

I would hope that some companies actually hold decent tolerances.... A .004" discrepancy is pretty sad actually on a precision area. OD, sure, .004" is fine.
got wake? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:27 AM #126
Harribo

Yeah 004 is too much. 002 is acceptable for me but any higher is just ridiculous. Im still gonna buy a 688 death touch barrel as my 688 balance back is broke. Luckily we dont have small paint (Under 685) in Norway.