PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-20-2013, 02:15 PM #85
RetardedChimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx18 View Post
I have no problem adding in new barrels. Post up what barrels you guys would like to see and ill try to reach out to those companies to see if they would be interested in having their barrel tested.
Sweet.

Lurker Eigenbarrel is the one I'm most interested in, as it has ranked highly in other tests that I've seen, and Lurker makes quality stuff (he's a poster here as well).
RetardedChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2013, 03:54 PM #86
liverlip

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Where are you located on the Island? I have a bunch of barrels (Eigenbarel, Shadow kit, J&J kit, SM Orbium 2, Empire Sniper kit, iFit, Freak kit and more) and am willing to meet up if you would like to add them to your test. Assuming you aren't too far out. If you are interested, pm me and I will send you a full list of what I have.

][nvert User IS A THIEF
liverlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 PM #87
digital sol

digital sol supports DLX Technology
Id love to see how the sanchez orbium III stacks up to those as well! Great test and a good read!
digital sol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:54 PM #88
TerrorTone

TerrorTone owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
TerrorTone plays in the APPA D5 division
Excellent review!
TerrorTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:59 AM #89
strickA-5

strickA-5 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
strickA-5 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
strickA-5 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
strickA-5 supports Empire
I agree, great review. You obviously put a good bit of time, and money, into this. You've also helped me out a good bit. I like longer control bores so I started looking at the shaft 4s, then the fuse, and now the disruptive. Thanks to your review it looks like the disruptive will win out. Plus they appear to be interchangable which is nice. You mentioned that the machining was a little sharp on the disruptive. Other than this did the barrel seem to be of high quality? "Mirror" like inside the barrel and so on. I don't know anyone with one and they're not sold locally so I can't "put my hands on one" to check it out for myself.
strickA-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 PM #90
Jinx18
Dynamic

Jinx18 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by strickA-5 View Post
I agree, great review. You obviously put a good bit of time, and money, into this. You've also helped me out a good bit. I like longer control bores so I started looking at the shaft 4s, then the fuse, and now the disruptive. Thanks to your review it looks like the disruptive will win out. Plus they appear to be interchangable which is nice. You mentioned that the machining was a little sharp on the disruptive. Other than this did the barrel seem to be of high quality? "Mirror" like inside the barrel and so on. I don't know anyone with one and they're not sold locally so I can't "put my hands on one" to check it out for myself.
Yea the Disruptive is definitely quality made. It is hard to describe what I mean by sharp but it is not due to machining quality it has to do with having a lot of right angles and corners in the design and not being chamfered and such. The honing is great too. Also the Disruptive Deathtouch, Lapco Fuse and Planet Eclipse Shaft 4 are interchangeable. The Disruptive and Planet Eclipse have 8" Control Bores. The Lapco has a 8.5" Control Bore. Overall the Disruptive is 15", the Lapco is 14" and the Planet Eclipse is I think 14.5". You have tons and tons of combinations between the two. For instance a Lapco Back and Disruptive front is 15.5". A Disruptive back and Lapco front is 13.5" etc etc...

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Jinx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 PM #91
Jinx18
Dynamic

also i will be adding in a deadly wind fibur x barrel!!!!!

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 PM #92
strickA-5

Thanks for the reply. Also I'm curious if you have tested, or thought about testing, the disruptive using it's shorter 13" tip?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:34 PM #93
acabello72

acabello72 is BST Legit
acabello72 is playing at Living Legends VII
acabello72 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
I'm guessing the deathtouch with the 13 will be louder than the others by a bit. Same progressive porting as the 15 but less of it to dampen the sound.
acabello72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:27 PM #94
strickA-5

Yeah, I know. I was just curious about the numbers. Got some things rolling around in my head like maybe fuse back with deathtouch front(long or short). Shaft/fuse/deathtouch test mix/matching one companies back with the others front for best combo would be cool. It just seems like an uncommon opportunity. Three different companies making interchangeable two piece barrel systems is kind of uncommon to I suppose.

Last edited by strickA-5 : 03-29-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:10 AM #95
acabello72

acabello72 is BST Legit
The fuse back is an 8 1/2 inch control bore vs the disruptive with an 8. The longer control bore I think, won't really effect the sound. The control bore is more to stabilize the shot as it accelerates thru the barrel. Think consistency and efficiency. The porting is where your sound reduction comes from.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 AM #96
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Control bore legth helps efficiency and consistency. Porting affects sound signature.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:34 AM #97
strickA-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabello72 View Post
The fuse back is an 8 1/2 inch control bore vs the disruptive with an 8. The longer control bore I think, won't really effect the sound. The control bore is more to stabilize the shot as it accelerates thru the barrel. Think consistency and efficiency. The porting is where your sound reduction comes from.
I understand what the control bore is for. I was just curious about the actual numbers(data) using the fronts. I'm curious how much louder the shorter barrel front(deathtouch) would be, noticeably or barely noticeable, as compared to the longer deathtouch and other barrels. In other words, I want to know where in his listing of quietest to loudest the shorter deathtouch would of ranked. Just curious. Does this make more sense?

Last edited by strickA-5 : 03-30-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:42 PM #98
acabello72

acabello72 is BST Legit
It makes plenty of sense. I was answering your last post regarding switching barrel backs and its effect on sound signature. with regard to the 13 inch. Ill guess that it would be on the back end of the list due to the lack of total porting area. I don't see it being much louder, but I can't see it beating out any of the barrels tested at 14/15 inches. I have the full deathtouch kit with 13 and 15 inch front. I also have the shift kit with my clone GT. Two opposite ends of the spectrum in this test. Without a decibel meter, I feel like the 13 inch is as loud or a touch louder than my shift. Then again, it could just be the different sound signature, either way they are close.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:06 PM #99
strickA-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabello72 View Post
It makes plenty of sense. I was answering your last post regarding switching barrel backs and its effect on sound signature. with regard to the 13 inch. Ill guess that it would be on the back end of the list due to the lack of total porting area. I don't see it being much louder, but I can't see it beating out any of the barrels tested at 14/15 inches. I have the full deathtouch kit with 13 and 15 inch front. I also have the shift kit with my clone GT. Two opposite ends of the spectrum in this test. Without a decibel meter, I feel like the 13 inch is as loud or a touch louder than my shift. Then again, it could just be the different sound signature, either way they are close.
Oh yeah, I was just clarifying my point. I broke my own rule of posting when tired or focused on other stuff so I felt I needed to clarify. I agree that it should be the loudest. I was just curious to what degree.

Last edited by strickA-5 : 03-30-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:47 AM #100
Jinx18
Dynamic

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Also I'm curious if you have tested, or thought about testing, the disruptive using it's shorter 13" tip?
I have considered it but not sure if I will purchase anytime soon.

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I was just curious about the numbers. Got some things rolling around in my head like maybe fuse back with deathtouch front(long or short). Shaft/fuse/deathtouch test mix/matching one companies back with the others front for best combo would be cool. It just seems like an uncommon opportunity. Three different companies making interchangeable two piece barrel systems is kind of uncommon to I suppose.
Yea between those three companies you have a bunch of options.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:22 PM #101
craigert

Testing

I noticed that the back bore on the critical that you used was higher than the rest. Had you used a .688 critical to match the other bore sizes you used to test instead of a .692, I think you would find the critical to be the most efficient.

Also, it's hard to judge consistency without calculating the standard deviations in addition to the chrono averages.
craigert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 AM #102
strickA-5

Just thought I'd throw this on here since I was talking about it. Got the 15" and 13" deathtouch tips for my Fuse backs. Here's the 15".

[IMG] deathtouch by strickA-5, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by strickA-5 : 11-11-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:14 PM #103
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Regarding the sound test:

1) How did you ensure exact location and angle of each barrel for each test?
2) What is the accuracy of your db meter?

From what I can see it appears you held the markers freehand with no significant locational control, and used one of these db meters, which from what I can tell is in a class of device that provides +/- 1.5-2db measurement accuracy ... that means all these barrels measured within the accuracy margin of the device and the experiment design was kind of lacking.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:39 PM #104
Jinx18
Dynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
Regarding the sound test:

1) How did you ensure exact location and angle of each barrel for each test?
2) What is the accuracy of your db meter?

From what I can see it appears you held the markers freehand with no significant locational control, and used one of these db meters, which from what I can tell is in a class of device that provides +/- 1.5-2db measurement accuracy ... that means all these barrels measured within the accuracy margin of the device and the experiment design was kind of lacking.

1. The camera and decibel meter were on a tripod and didn't move (focal length on the camera did though which is why not all the video clips are the same distance). I marked the table and red chrono under me but I am holding the gun and it is not clamped so it is approximate.

2. It reads to 1/10 dB(A) and yes accuracy is ~+/- 1.5-2db. I would not put any significance to saying a barrel is quieter if it read .1 dB lower. I did 3 runs on each barrel and sometimes they changed a little test to test. Its not like they read the same exact thing every time. Trying to get them all to chrono the same as well as changes in the paint size, velocity, as well as the accuracy of the meter changed the readings. It seems to me sound becomes a subtle but noticeable difference at .5 dB and more. While the accuracy range may seem broad the results are highly repeatable. The Disruptive was ALWAYS the quietest and each barrel always read approximately the same readings. When the barrels ended up being more similar in sound they did go back and forth slightly but like stated earlier it is due to a bunch of factors and in those cases I wouldn't explicitly say A is quieter than B.

I will be repeating the whole test again (will probably have the gun in a stand next time) as some more companies are sending me barrels and I expect the Critical 100g: 90.5 dB, Lapco Fuse: 90.7 dB, and Macdev Shift: 90.9 dB to possible swap positions as they were all very close.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!

Last edited by Jinx18 : 04-22-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:01 AM #105
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Given how critical orientation is, not having an orientation control is a big problem IMO. Of course the ports themselves do have some orientation characteristics as well.

And of course it is important to note that a-weighting emphasizes some frequencies. This is probably the source of the "subtlety" in the different sounds, markers with lower frequency sound signatures would score lower dba.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote