PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-17-2013, 06:00 PM #64
Jinx18
Dynamic

Jinx18 plays in the APPA D3 division
Just letting you guys know I shot the dB video today. I will post the data shortly. I still need to edit the video and upload it though. Also I am writing up a conclusion on each barrel.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!

Last edited by Jinx18 : 03-17-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Jinx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2013, 06:22 PM #65
Jinx18
Dynamic

Sound

This is the data from the video I shot. I did do each barrel a couple of times and the order was always the same. Each barrel was chrono'd to 300 fps.

Dye Ultralite: 89.1 dB
Disruptive Deathtouch: 88.6 dB
Furious Lotus: 89.4 dB
Lapco Fuse: 90.7 dB
Critical 100g: 90.5 dB
Macdev Shift: 90.9 dB

Quietest to Loudest:

Disruptive Deathtouch: 88.6 dB
Dye Ultralite: 89.1 dB
Furious Lotus: 89.4 dB
Critical 100g: 90.5 dB
Lapco Fuse: 90.7 dB
Macdev Shift: 90.9 dB

Gearbag Sale!!!!!

Last edited by Jinx18 : 03-18-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:36 PM #66
Jinx18
Dynamic

Conclusion

ALL of these barrels are very nice in their own way. Depending on what you are looking for will decide which is best for you. There is a ton of information to take in here and is included in my overall feelings even if not directly mentioned.

Dye Ultralite:

Get this barrel if you want a super high quality, do it all barrel. Most everyone knows the Ultralite and since it is so common it is easy find different tip lengths, colors, and bore sizes. It has been the go to barrel for literally decades and there is a reason why. It does a lot of everything right. It is the most quality manufactured and is the second quietest barrel. Only downsides are it is the heaviest in the test although it's really not that heavy, and that features wise it may be behind the times with no new innovative things but it is just a great overall barrel.

Disruptive Deathtouch:

Get this barrel if you want a super quiet barrel packed with features and is lightweight. This barrel is the quietest in the test and it is noticeable. It is the second lightest in the test. It is also packed with the most features like double male threaded control bore back, reverse threaded tip compatible with Planet Eclipse Shaft4, squeegee milling designed to keep paint out of your porting and allow you to tape your barrel in the rain and still be able to use your porting, and barrel ramping technology to eliminate breech to barrel breaks. Only downsides are machining is slightly sharp and it is a 15" barrel which may or may not bother you. Depends on your preference for barrel length.

Furious Lotus:

Get this barrel if you want an all around great shooting barrel that consistently ranked highly in every test. Third lightest barrel and third quietest, but by very slight margins almost doing better. It just shoots really good and I think it is because of that smaller tip diameter. I am not a fan of their marketing at all and I only ended up with this barrel through a trade. The youtube videos claiming most accurate in the world and zero drag inside as well as the outdated site with downright wrong information really turned me off to them but I am giving an unbiased review. After using the barrel though it really is nice. I think if they changed their marketing a little they would sell way better than they do now since what they do makes a lot of people skeptical. Overall though one of the best shooting barrels in the test.

Lapco Fuse:

Get this barrel if you want super high quality barrel with a long control bore for efficiency and a lot of features. The only barrel to come close to the quality of the Dye barrel. Lapco makes top notch stuff. Also packed with tons of features like the Disruptive. Overall it is a great barrel but it got edged out in a couple of categories by such slight margins. A little heavier than the lightweights, a little louder than the quiet ones but it does everything good. No real drawbacks to this barrel.

Critical 100g:

Get this barrel if you want a real lightweight barrel. It is noticeably light when you screw it on the gun. It is a good shooter aswell. Drawbacks are it is louder. This barrel is the most straightforward. Kind of plain design with not many features but its light and shoots nice.

Macdev Shift:

Get this barrel if you want a barrel where you can change out inserts so if you had a custom anno or lasering it wont be effected by changing bores. It consistantly ranked towards the bottom. It is not a bad barrel but pretty much every barrel had better overall results.

My Ranking

The Disruptive Deathtouch and Furious Lotus are the two top barrels. Depending on your application another one might be better for you. If you are looking for a recommendation please post up some info on yourself and what you are looking for and I would be happy to make a recommendation.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!

Last edited by Jinx18 : 03-18-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:41 PM #67
Jinx18
Dynamic

If you are looking for a recommendation please post up some info on yourself and what you are looking for and I would be happy to make a recommendation.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 PM #68
gospeedgo1

was the sound testing done with the marker adjusted to the same/similar velocity or just screwed on and tested?
gospeedgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:02 AM #69
Jinx18
Dynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeedgo1 View Post
was the sound testing done with the marker adjusted to the same/similar velocity or just screwed on and tested?
yes sorry i forgot to write that. Every barrel was chronoed to 300 fps.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:55 PM #70
saunders182

saunders182 supports Team VICIOUS
This is awesome man. Thanks for taking the time and actually putting out data. Kudos and a Internet high five.

In my experience I love the disruptive barrels. Not a huge fan of the furious. If I had any of my lucky 15 barrels left I would send some your way for testing. I currently have a lapco fuse on order to see what performance I can get out of that barrel.

But again thanks for all the great info.
saunders182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:06 PM #71
acabello72

acabello72 is playing at Living Legends VII
acabello72 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Thanks for all of the hard work and a lot of your own personal time you put into this. I couldn't wait until your tests were done so I went and picked up a deathtouch kit last week. I agree with your results completely. My GT and my Axe are noticeably quieter with it, the long control is nice and the barrel just looks great. Gloss black tip with dust black back looks great on either one.

Great job.
acabello72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:48 PM #72
Jinx18
Dynamic

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:58 PM #73
acabello72

acabello72 is playing at Living Legends VII
acabello72 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Great video!! Especially the last part where you hear the decreasing sound levels.
acabello72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM #74
Killer Carton
Give'm Welts

Annual Supporting Member
Killer Carton has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Killer Carton has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Well done, you just sold me on the Deathtouch. Any plans to test out Disruptives new carbon fiber tip in the future?
Killer Carton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:00 PM #75
Jinx18
Dynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabello72 View Post
Great video!! Especially the last part where you hear the decreasing sound levels.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carton View Post
Well done, you just sold me on the Deathtouch. Any plans to test out Disruptives new carbon fiber tip in the future?
Thank you aswell. I do not have plans on trying out the carbon fiber tip although it should lighten the barrel, possibly making it lighter than the Critical. It also might change the sound slightly though but that trade off is up to you.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 AM #76
Evil Rocky

Evil Rocky is playing at Living Legends V
Evil Rocky owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Evil Rocky owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Man this is awesome. I always felt my Macdev barrel was always quieter. But tis just proved me wrong.

Thanks for this informative post

IOG http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4067259
Evil Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 AM #77
PaintballUnited
Furious Paintball CEO

PaintballUnited works for a Paintball manufacturer
PaintballUnited supports Bob Gurnsey
This is a great, unbiased view of all barrels.
PaintballUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM #78
sixsixsix
Dynamic4Life

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
sixsixsix plays in the APPA D3 division
Nice job vinny looks great !!! Lotta good info here !!

Gearbag Sale!
My Feedback
Cpt/Owner of East Coast Dynamic #13/#6
sixsixsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 PM #79
Killer Carton
Give'm Welts

Annual Supporting Member
I said it once and I'll say it again, smells like a sticky... I'm sure reviewing a few more popular barrel would help the cause too.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:54 PM #80
RetardedChimp

Nice to see some hard numbers on some of these things instead of just marketing fluff. Great job man.

Hopefully if you have the desire to continue you can expand your tests with other types of barrels that consistently get high praise like Lurker and Shadow.

...but I'm sure a lot of that has to do with whether or not you have access to more barrels.
RetardedChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:28 PM #81
Jinx18
Dynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetardedChimp View Post

Hopefully if you have the desire to continue you can expand your tests with other types of barrels that consistently get high praise like Lurker and Shadow.

...but I'm sure a lot of that has to do with whether or not you have access to more barrels.
I have no problem adding in new barrels. Post up what barrels you guys would like to see and ill try to reach out to those companies to see if they would be interested in having their barrel tested.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM #82
pbbuddy12
I'm more of a 3 wire guy

pbbuddy12 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
pbbuddy12 supports Pev's Paintball
pbbuddy12 is Legendary
Kaner always has looked nice, also the CF boomstick and primarily a comparison between tip it comes with vs the standard UL tip.
pbbuddy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM #83
Killer Carton
Give'm Welts

Annual Supporting Member
Freak barrels with the various tips (Standard, AA, Luxe, Superfreak, etc.) always have had a reputation for being great and I would be interested in seeing a Sly Diesel and Shaft 4 kits statistics as well.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM #84
Cracker_35
Saltine or Graham?

Annual Supporting Member
Cracker_35 has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Cracker_35 is Legendary
I'm sure if you contacted Shadow Paintball and showed them this thread they'd send you a barrel.
Cracker_35 is offline   Reply With Quote