Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 PM #1
HarveyFC3

Choosing a new Spoolie.

I have shot my Axe for quite some time now and am thoroughly impressed with it's performance thus far. However, with my wife wanting to move up in the world of paintball from her Tippmann, it falls on me to purchase a new marker. Since it's my wife, and she will only play occasionally, I want it to be a gun that I will also enjoy. So I'm comping to you all for suggestions. I'm looking for a new spoolie.

My current setup on my Axe (tuned) is:
-Sly Diesel 2-piece CF barrel
-Infamous Boss Bolt & Soft Spring

(un-important to topic are)
-Low profile feedneck from Empire
-Redline board
-Dye Rotor
-Empire 68/45 with stock reg.

So if you've shot the quietest & smoothest Axe out there, it compares closely to mine. The gun is just amazing. I recently picked up a DP Fusion FX for dirt cheap and put a little work into it. I don't like it though. The marker has way to much vibration and since it is a stacked tube poppet, it has about an inch taller profile. So I'm dead set on another spool valve gun.

With a price range of $500-700 new or used, what markers might best fit my desire? And maybe even more importantly, which ones come in purple?
HarveyFC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 PM #2
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
Geo 2.1 thats what I bought for my wife. I've only seen one purple one and it was for sale on here. I believe it moved pretty quick. My wife loves it, loves shooting it in the yard at least. But, is still too afraid to play for some reason..I use it from time to time and I like it....

No, its not because I have one for sale. I want more than 7 bills for it anyway. But, if you can find one in your price range, I believe you will be satisfied with it.

However, your wife will have a nicer setup than you!

NOBAMA
rexisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 PM #3
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
You're wife probably has a smaller frame right? Just get her a mini, same gun as the axe just slightly shorter.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 PM #4
HarveyFC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexisme View Post
Geo 2.1 thats what I bought for my wife. I've only seen one purple one and it was for sale on here. I believe it moved pretty quick. My wife loves it, loves shooting it in the yard at least. But, is still too afraid to play for some reason..I use it from time to time and I like it....

No, its not because I have one for sale. I want more than 7 bills for it anyway. But, if you can find one in your price range, I believe you will be satisfied with it.

However, your wife will have a nicer setup than you!
You're the second person to suggest a Geo to me tonight. Are they really that nice? What makes everyone enjoy them so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
You're wife probably has a smaller frame right? Just get her a mini, same gun as the axe just slightly shorter.
Yeah, but She will only play during the 'perfect' days and with a group, so this new gun will also take the place of my current back-up marker. I don't want a dumbed down version of what I already have. She did point out the purple Mini in the store the other day though.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 PM #5
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyFC3 View Post
Yeah, but She will only play during the 'perfect' days and with a group, so this new gun will also take the place of my current back-up marker. I don't want a dumbed down version of what I already have. She did point out the purple Mini in the store the other day though.
The mini isn't a "dumbed down version" of the axe, it is the axe with a shorter body. Actually, to be correct, the axe is a modified version of the mini to make it larger into a full sized pb gun. Other than the longer bolt the axe and the mini are the same gun.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 PM #6
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyFC3 View Post
You're the second person to suggest a Geo to me tonight. Are they really that nice? What makes everyone enjoy them so much?
Yes they are that nice, however they also have a little smaller frame... so if you have big hands you might not like it.

Do you have a grip extender on your axe? If you don't and it feels good, you'll prolly like the geo. I had both at one point and it was nothing for me to switch between them.

They shoot super smooth, consistent, and are extremely easy to maintain. Literally takes all but 2 minutes to lube the bolt. The reg is extremely easy to disassemble and maintain as well.

NOBAMA
rexisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 AM #7
IBleed Arbor
vtec just kicked in, yo!

Annual Supporting Member
IBleed Arbor plays in the PSP
IBleed Arbor owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
IBleed Arbor is reppin' sidebar 4 life
IBleed Arbor is Boss
IBleed Arbor supports DLX Technology
Geo
IBleed Arbor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:09 AM #8
the westside champ

geo
the westside champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 AM #9
the westside champ

i feel like they are more reliable
the westside champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:13 AM #10
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
The geo is a G3 with an LCD screen.

One of these bolts is a geo, the other is a G3, and the other is a drone DX

Can you tell which is which?

Old 01-08-2013, 12:22 AM #11
02firehawk555

02firehawk555 supports Team VICIOUS
02firehawk555 supports Team VICIOUS
02firehawk555 plays in the APPA D5 division
Used DM 10 or 11 I loved shooting my Buddies DM9 and 10 before I got my Axe. They are the smoothest shooting gun so if your looking at a spool valve check those out. I'm waiting for the DM 14 before I purchase my next marker.

Main Marker: 2k13 GI Victus-Dye Rotor-Ninja SL 68/4500 with Ninja V2 SLP Pro reg

Back up: 2k12 Flame G6R-Virtue Spire-Ninja 45/4500 with Ninja SLP Pro reg
02firehawk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 AM #12
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman is playing at Living Legends VI
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
JohnSherman supports Empire
Quote:
The geo is a G3 with an LCD screen.

One of these bolts is a geo, the other is a G3, and the other is a drone DX

Can you tell which is which?

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Top one is the TechT G3 bolt, bottom one is the Geo, so I'm assuming the middle is the Drone.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 AM #13
p8ntballer101
K-nasty

has been a member for 10 years
might as well due a luxe
if thats condidered a spoolie
APPA Player ID#9837 - CURRENT RANK: D3
FIRE IN THE HOLE!~ DP G4 APE RAMPAGE LED BOARD TECHT BOLT SP FULL FREAK W/ AA TIP ROTOR 77cu NINJA TANK DYE HYPER3 REG EXALT TANK and REG GRIP (onT e c h P B@:: p8ntballer101 )
p8ntballer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:14 AM #14
HarveyFC3

Quote:
The mini isn't a "dumbed down version" of the axe, it is the axe with a shorter body. Actually, to be correct, the axe is a modified version of the mini to make it larger into a full sized pb gun. Other than the longer bolt the axe and the mini are the same gun.
Alright, sorry, I don't want to down grade. The mini is smaller making it a bit worse for my larger hands, and is slightly harder to maintain since it requires an allen key. Let's not get started on that piece of crap they call a trigger either.

Thanks for the input guys. Guess I'm going to have to do a bit of traveling and see if I can't get my hands on a couple of these to shoot them.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 AM #15
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
You realize that the Axe and Mini ARE NOT SPOOLIES. They are inline poppets. They sit between stacked tube and actual spools. Better air efficiency than spool but not as good as stacked. Smoother shoot than most stacked but not as smooth as the spools.

As for recommendations....

Have an Axe= really good solid marker a little light on color choices if your wife wants something her style
Have a mini= my 10 year olds gun which is a little small in my hands and NO on/off ASA so it makes getting the tank off harder ( you might need to do that for her )
Axe and Mini can be difficult to program without Redline but you have an Axe so not really an issue for you

Have a GEO 2.0= very smooth and little if any kick, air efficiency is not great ( hopper plus 5 or 6 depending on how broken in and maintained marker is )
Have a GEO 3= GEO 2 on steroids air efficient as some poppets ( hopper plus 7 to 8 ) and as smooth as the GEO 2 out of the box and I haven't even broken it in yet)
GEO's all have LED screens so easier to program and a little plus on cool factor

Now the cost
Axe used $300 all day long new $470 (few colors)
Mini used dirt cheap ( I basically gave my other one away to a friend because the value was so low ) new $325? (Many colors)
GEO 2.0 used $500 to $600 no new! GEO 2.1 same gun as 2.0 except cosmetic differences look at pictures you will see used $600 to $700 new $1000+ (many colors)
GEO 3.0 used $950 to $1100 new $1350 (many colors)

Putting it all together:
If she is gonna ball regularly get her something you know= Axe
Budget conscience= Axe
And you could send the Axe in for anodizing for her favorite style

If she is gonna use sometimes and YOU want another toy and something different GEO you choose which 2.0, 2.1, or 3.

So ultimately it is your choice with many options^

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 AM #16
#1WoodsBaller

#1WoodsBaller is playing at Living Legends V
#1WoodsBaller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Get a used Axe and have it Annoed Purple for her, set it up just like yours.... perfect backup for you too.

WTB or Trade for Grey Racing Strap PM Me!!
#1WoodsBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM #17
falz-

I would say buy a mini and save yourself the money. A tuned mini shoots nicer than a tuned axe anyways, for almost half the cost and might fit her frame better.

If you want to spend the money, grab a Geo 2 or 2.1. PE is rock solid in reliability and makes an excellent back-up gun (I have a Geo 2.1 as a back-up).

My girl shoots a pink Vice and is one of the smoothest guns I own.
falz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:44 AM #18
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

I'd say a mini too mostly based on the assumption that your girl is... well... girly and not big enough to eat me. I has a tight form factor and is a great gun for cheap.

As for geos... no, they're not that great and if you want to survive on this site you'll have to learn to filter through fanboy nonsense. PE has a cult like following that ignore objective evidence and continue to cleave to the notion that PE invented paintball, physics and everything else sacred. Bottom line is that they are a blowforward spool with similar performance to guns 1/2 to 1/3rd their price.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:48 AM #19
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pipes View Post
You realize that the Axe and Mini ARE NOT SPOOLIES. They are inline poppets.
Thank god someone said it, I felt like I was taking crazy pills! Ok, now that Im done with that here goes.
1) Why do you have a price range of 5-700? Do you play enough where it is worth having a backup that is that expensive? BTW Im not trashing your choices just trying to see whats the best for you.

2) Knowing that the axe and mini are not spools, do you still want a spool? They will require a bit more maintenance (nothing extreme) but will have a softer shot.

3) Would you entertain her having her own gun? For 5-700 you could get 2 guns, either being more than capable of being your backup and her main gun for the occasional outing.

4) Do you hate ethas as much as I do? If not then they are a spool, they come in purple, they are cheap, and they are PE (probably reliable).
Old 01-08-2013, 10:54 AM #20
falz-

I would agree with most of his post. I am not a huge fan of PE, but I own a Geo 2.1 because of PE reliability. I pick it up and it shoots. As far as spoolies go, its the easiest to maintain and always works, unlike my dye or luxe. You want relibility in a back-up marker, if you want performance shoot something else as a primary as I do.
falz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 AM #21
Killer Carton
Give'm Welts

Annual Supporting Member
Killer Carton has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Killer Carton has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I would say a Drone DX if buying new and a Clone VX for used.
Killer Carton is offline   Reply With Quote