Community Focus

Old 05-14-2013, 04:49 PM #1
DravenTheShocker
J-Ting

DravenTheShocker is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
DravenTheShocker plays in the APPA D4 division
DravenTheShocker supports DLX Technology
A constructive criticism from a huge fan...

Let me begin by saying, I know what I suggest would be difficult for a multitude of reasons. I know it might even come off as a little insulting, but I think it's an important consideration that Dave has no doubt thought about and I'm curious about his thoughts on the matter.

Let me give you a little backround about myself: Late 20s, playing competition paintball on and off for 12-13 years, good job in a healthcare organization which puts me in contact with a lot of people. Most importantly to this conversation, I go out of my way to try to be a representative, an ambassador, for the sport. Every time someone asks me about my weekends, I tell them I'm going or went to practice on Sunday to play competition paintball. They inevitably ask if I'm going to put camo on and run around in the woods, and I inevitably give them my basic speech about tournament paintball, an abbreviated version of the history, divisional play, and the concept of pro teams. The fact that they hail from regions of the country, and that they represent the area.

When I start listing off teams, 187 never comes up unless they ask about who the closest pro-team is to them. I always tell them the local pro team plays out of Upton, MA and if pressed, I say the team name is cRew. I do this because it completely disintegrates all the ground work laid down about how serious the sport is taken at the Pro level and the credibility of the sport to an outsider when the team name is the police code for murder. Suddenly the perception of professional paintball is that it's a bunch of thugs and lowlifes, like a street gang. (Keep in mind, I work in a professional setting and my audience is not like the typical young kid crowd. These are the types of people you'd network with for sponsorships outside of the industry.) This perception of the team might affect the team in that regard: Who would want their corporation associated with a team name inferring murder? Who wants to put a logo saying they proudly sponsor '187 cRew' on the corporate homepage? Go to the Dunkin Donuts website, look at the bottom of the lightly colored 'happy' website and see the team logos at the bottom. Can you image the 187 logo next to the Patriots logo? I'd like to say that, yes I could, but the fact of the matter is that I can't. I can't see Dunkin Donuts, or any corporation that doesn't directly deal with our industry, getting behind a team with that name. YES, I know it's just a name, but it also represents the team, the region, the attitude of the game, the sponsors, and outsiders view the name of the team in a very 2 dimensional sort of way.

Now, the downsides: I know a lot of time and effort has gone into branding the 187 name. Teams know it, the industry knows it. Stein had a great point in the other thread, that the Superfan faithful make their presence known at the national scene (I was there cheering at World Cup '12, I'll be there cheering at Cup '13). I'm sure a lot of time and effort and money has gone into the 187 image. Plus, beyond all those easily quantifiable metrics, you have HISTORY. The name and the team's accomplishments all are there for the world to see. A name change would ruin that for sure.

Just something I was thinking about today, when I tried to tell yet another person about our sport and ran into the same light-switch perception change when I said 187 cRew was the local team and they'd done incredibly well at MAO. I hope you guys don't take it the wrong way. I'm curious about Dave's (and everyone's) thoughts on the matter.
DravenTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2013, 07:03 PM #2
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Annual Supporting Member
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
Fox4paintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
Fox4paintball plays in the PSP
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Fox4paintball plays in the APPA D4 division
I can tell you that I understand your point of view. I’ve often considered a change, but the truth is that right now the reasons you’ve stated just don’t exist. There are so many different directions I want to go with this. Do you remember when teams started changing their name from the “Indians” to some other PC version? Do you know we still have a major league baseball team named the Indians? A hockey team named the Blackhawks? A football team called the Chiefs? I could go on and on about professional sports name – teams named after the thugs of yester year – the Pirates, Raiders and Buccaneers.

As for being ashamed of the name and not wanting to discuss it with your professional friends – I find that very odd. I work at a fortune 100 company during the week, responsible for complex pricing for our products at other fortune 100 companies. Do you know what I have on my laptop background? Among other things – the 187 logo – full screen and a picture of me blasting fools at MAO. Not many (any?) of the people that see my screen know what 187 stands for. When they ask – I tell them and more often than not they find it fitting. Usually leads to me talking about paintball, my son, my team and my business for several minutes – makes them comfortable to know they’re dealing with an average joe and eases us into the business at hand.

You can point to us and say we don’t have sponsorship, so it’s the name. I’ll point to every other pro paintball team out there and say the same thing – whether it is San Diego Dynasty or Chattanooga CEP. For the most part all the pro teams are limited to industry sponsorship. The few teams with “outside” money get it from an “inside” source. And in fact our industry markets to the younger kids and thugs. Is it the right approach in the long run – no, most likely a name change will come eventually, but only when we start seeing an interest in sponsorships and that won’t start with the 11th or 12th place pro team.

On the other hand – if you have a sponsor in mind that is willing to drop coin on our team I’m willing to entertain selling the naming rights.
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Fox4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:43 PM #3
DravenTheShocker
J-Ting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
I can tell you that I understand your point of view. I’ve often considered a change, but the truth is that right now the reasons you’ve stated just don’t exist. There are so many different directions I want to go with this. Do you remember when teams started changing their name from the “Indians” to some other PC version? Do you know we still have a major league baseball team named the Indians? A hockey team named the Blackhawks? A football team called the Chiefs? I could go on and on about professional sports name – teams named after the thugs of yester year – the Pirates, Raiders and Buccaneers.

As for being ashamed of the name and not wanting to discuss it with your professional friends – I find that very odd. I work at a fortune 100 company during the week, responsible for complex pricing for our products at other fortune 100 companies. Do you know what I have on my laptop background? Among other things – the 187 logo – full screen and a picture of me blasting fools at MAO. Not many (any?) of the people that see my screen know what 187 stands for. When they ask – I tell them and more often than not they find it fitting. Usually leads to me talking about paintball, my son, my team and my business for several minutes – makes them comfortable to know they’re dealing with an average joe and eases us into the business at hand.

You can point to us and say we don’t have sponsorship, so it’s the name. I’ll point to every other pro paintball team out there and say the same thing – whether it is San Diego Dynasty or Chattanooga CEP. For the most part all the pro teams are limited to industry sponsorship. The few teams with “outside” money get it from an “inside” source. And in fact our industry markets to the younger kids and thugs. Is it the right approach in the long run – no, most likely a name change will come eventually, but only when we start seeing an interest in sponsorships and that won’t start with the 11th or 12th place pro team.

On the other hand – if you have a sponsor in mind that is willing to drop coin on our team I’m willing to entertain selling the naming rights.
I appreciate your thoughts Dave. Let me clarify my statements a little. I find when I tell someone the professional paintball team from the North East is called '187' (if they understand the reference), their demeanor changes. The ground work laid when you describe paintball as a sport no different than football or hockey at the professional level is gone when their perception of the term 187 is so negative. To put it on a scale of appropriateness to the average American, I'd put the New England Care Bears on one side of the spectrum, and the New England Rapists at the other. Obviously neither is a team name you want representing your team (although, I'd hate to lose to a team called the Care Bears, haha). Point is, everyone draws the line somewhere. Your average reaction by someone who plays is very different than those who have no idea what they're looking at. The average person I speak to at work finds the term 187 offensive and equates it to violence. Then again, I talk to nurses and healthcare administrators for most of my days so the reactions might be skewed. I'm not sure what industry you're in, but perhaps the average person might be a little more 'open'.

As far as the other professional teams with names that are considered offensive to some, those teams had the opportunity to build a name and a reputation before being politically correct was the defacto standard. Today those team names would never get off the ground. For you guys, the reality is that beyond the team and their success you're trying to create a franchise and leverage its name. Just based on the reactions I get from people outside of the industry, it seems like you guys do yourselves an injustice by keeping your name. You mention that a name change would likely come but, put simply, I feel like you guys have already outgrown it. With the larger demographic you reach, the name has the possibility of holding you back. Would the parent buying their kid a T shirt or poster for 187 reconsider because of the name? If paintball ever becomes more mainstream, would you hurt your chances and have to rebrand to leverage yourselves better? Would a kid wearing a Houston Heat T shirt to school not have an issue while the 187 T-shirt might get him expelled?

I certainly see your point about the lack of sponsorships outside of the industry, and how that affects the choice to change or continue with your franchise name as it is. If you're not worried about the perception outside of the industry and money isn't coming in from outside the industry, then why should you rename yourselves for that purpose. Then again, we seem to meet different reactions when we explain 187 and what it means. I have no doubt that you're much more vocal (and knowledgeable for that matter) when it comes to explaining professional paintball than I will ever be given that you're a player, team owner, and field owner. I'm sure that your extensive knowledge comes across to the average person you talk to in that regard. It also might be we deal with different people, or that my time talking with each of my users is limited, therefor I don't get the chance to explain things in full like I otherwise would.

In the end, I personally like the 187 name. I think in a sea of sameness (Location) (Strong Adjective), you guys provide a welcome departure from the norm. My only concern stemmed from the reactions I've experienced when I've tried to explain to outsiders what professional paintball was all about, and who represented them (even if they didn't realize it). The Pats, the Sox, the Celtics, the Bruins, and 187 all represent New England when it comes to professional sports. I think 187 has represented us well, and I think you guys will podium in the Champions division this year. You guys have done it the right way, and you guys seem to get stronger every event playing against the other pro teams.

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Thanks for taking the time, bud.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:09 AM #4
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!

bmoney003 is a Professional paintball player
bmoney003 plays in the PSP
bmoney003 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
As A teacher/Athletic director and former player on 187. I wouldnt change the name for anything (minus a couple hundred K$$ lol)

But I could never wear any of my t-shirts, warmup jacket, or anything to work because of it referencing violence. BUT and this is a big BUT...I couldnt wear ANYTHING paintball related because most things show a person with a gun (albeit a paintball gun)

the psp logo shows the gun. Did this retract me from proudly representing 187 and fox4 outside of school? hell no...I still wear the stuff...

There is a time and place for everything, and a name should/does have no effect inmho. what about the Boston Cannons? they are violence related..

I guess I hear what your saying...but it is just the world we live in and if we (Dave) ever HAD to change the name...he would...but I do not see any issue with it.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 AM #5
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
That's the first thing that popped into my head. The numerous racist/derogatory professional sports team names that already exist.

****. This is STILL their logo somehow. How much more offensive could that be to Native Americans?

If the day ever comes that big companies that would care about the name actually want to put money into the sport, the name can be changed then.

NEPb - Destructive Customs - Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 AM #6
Skunkable
cRew

Skunkable plays in the PSP
Skunkable owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Skunkable plays in the APPA D3 division
Skunkable has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
As a fellow healthcare worker I have never hesitated talking about 187 cRew at work. I work in an emergency room and operating room so I have a lot of patient interactions. I have at times talked in length to patients, their families, doctors, nurses, and surgeons about the sport and the evolution of our local pro team with no hesitation to the connotations of 187 meaning murder. I think it is all in the presentation of the sport and the team as something amazing and home grown. I'm proud to be associated with Dave, Curt and the entire 187 family.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 AM #7
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!

bmoney003 is a Professional paintball player
bmoney003 plays in the PSP
bmoney003 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
agreed Mike,

I guess the only REAL thing about the team name...is the slogan "it's muRda..." and that can easily be omitted and kept within the paintball community. In no was does 187 automatically mean murder..

311 is a VERY famous and successful band...who got their name from the police code for indecent exposure....but they have a VERY large following..

you can look everywhere....and could cry inappropriate...I guess we could just split hairs on this one
Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 AM #8
Evdawg105

Evdawg105 plays in the PSP
Evdawg105 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Evdawg105 plays in the APPA D3 division
In regard to the 187 Name, I personally love it. I think it goes right with the Fox 4 Brand and the scrappiness and determination of the team and the whole organization.

I Can understand the derogatoriness of "187" being the police code for murder. I think to the general public their is not a major understanding of theses codes. When I mention 187 people always ask is that the area code.

It could be the healthcare industry where individuals have more knowledge of police codes especially violent ones, as they encounter these. It would be the same if I told my state police buddy about 187 crew. He would think right off the bat murder.

Agreed 187 isn't the friendliest name but look at the game we play. Its all about G's, kill counts, and deaths. Also all the major fox4 teams never had the "friendliest" names. All were a little dark, violent, and intimating.

Fox 4 Darkside
Fox 4 Kamo Killers
Armageddon
187 Crew

None were on a positive light. Also correct me if im wrong but didn't the 187 name come around when everyone was basing team names on police codes, area codes, and love for your individual region.

My thoughts could be a little bias being a fox 4 local/employee/loyal follower but just my .02

PLUS with a name like 187 it makes it very easy to come up with dope chants for us super fans!

UpTon Brawlers

Fox4 Paintball, Upton MA
Evdawg105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:22 PM #9
Seekey
Dave

Seekey plays in the PSP
Seekey plays in the APPA D3 division
Seekey supports Empire
GL putting up a 187 crew poster in your dorm room without getting the cops called. If I recall wasnt there some school shooter that had a Roadkill (or some other older paintball dvd) poster on his wall. I recall the media blowing it way out of proportion and it certainly wasnt somthing as direct as Cerial Killers or Bring our your dead.....nevermind 187 cRew. The media would have a field day spinning that around.

With todays hypersensitive overreactions to anything outside the norm its certainly somthing to consider.

However I'm completely bias because I've never like volence related team names. Lobsters was something to go against the norm.

Still love 187 tho and I firmly believe people should stop being so soft.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:01 PM #10
EMSGuy24
no

EMSGuy24 plays in the PSP
EMSGuy24 plays in the APPA D4 division
I find this funny. I have a 187 Crew autographed picture in my six year old sons room. Now to be honest I don't find it offensive at all. My son has actually worn a 187 Crew shirt to school along with other paintball shirts with no issues. We play a sport where you shoot... You are shooting other people trying to get a kill. I think this argument would fit better if this was a hockey or football team where murder is not what you want to happen.
EMSGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:14 PM #11
bshort524
All Grey! Sweatsuit!

bshort524 supports Cereal Killerz 2
bshort524 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
bshort524 supports Team VICIOUS
bshort524 plays in the APPA D3 division
The TNNK jerseys have ATM on the wrist cuffs. Ironically i've gotten more comments about people being concerned that it stands for A** to Mouth. i usually get a sigh of relief when I tell them it stands for Accessory to Murder.
Team No Name Kids #3
PPTF
Matt's Outback
Kee/Empire
Raza Paintball

Last edited by bshort524 : 05-15-2013 at 03:39 PM.
bshort524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:34 PM #12
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Annual Supporting Member
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
Fox4paintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
Fox4paintball plays in the PSP
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Fox4paintball plays in the APPA D4 division
That's funny you say you're against vilence because "Lobster" brings up one of the most violent images to me - boiling a live animal till they're dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekey View Post
GL putting up a 187 crew poster in your dorm room without getting the cops called. If I recall wasnt there some school shooter that had a Roadkill (or some other older paintball dvd) poster on his wall. I recall the media blowing it way out of proportion and it certainly wasnt somthing as direct as Cerial Killers or Bring our your dead.....nevermind 187 cRew. The media would have a field day spinning that around.

With todays hypersensitive overreactions to anything outside the norm its certainly somthing to consider.

However I'm completely bias because I've never like volence related team names. Lobsters was something to go against the norm.

Still love 187 tho and I firmly believe people should stop being so soft.
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Fox4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:35 PM #13
rOcKiNtHeDm5*la*

rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* supports Team VICIOUS
I have to laugh at the first post.. Changing a name to get a sponsorship would just never work for an outside company unless you were naming yourself Dunken Donuts 187 cRew or something to that nature... If an outside company is willing to sponsor a paintball team, they first have to be okay with "guns" as they are sponsoring a team that shoots paintballs out of guns.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...4#post15332664
My feedback -------- 0 negative
rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:09 PM #14
Shipyard-Cheif
I Kill For Beer

Shipyard-Cheif owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Shipyard-Cheif plays in the APPA D4 division
Shipyard-Cheif has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Shipyard-Cheif has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Sponsors should have no influence in the naming of a paintball team.
Captain Eli's Soda
Clockwork Clothing
MainePB.com
SupplementEdge.com
Shipyard-Cheif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:35 PM #15
FiresofSirius
Let the Galaxy Burn

FiresofSirius donated to help Peyton Trent
FiresofSirius owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
FiresofSirius is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipyard-Cheif View Post
Sponsors should have no influence in the naming of a paintball team.
Unless they produce an awesome product
FiresofSirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:55 AM #16
DravenTheShocker
J-Ting

I guess it's different for me, being relatively disconnected from the team. I've played against you guys in your 7-man intermediate days back in '06/'07, so I have little experience or attachment to the name 187. I certainly take pride in the fact that you guys have produced a group of players from the northeast who can go toe-to-toe with the best in the world without having to buy your team/championships. My observations were merely a random night's ramblings after experiencing a consistent reaction at work. I hope nobody takes it personally. People seemed to thing I was saying that 187 should be ashamed of their names, but that's not it at all. I just thought the name might disadvantage you guys for the reasons I stated, but Dave brought up a lot of good points I hadn't considered. At the end of the day, you guys take pride in the 187 name and that is what counts.

That said, it has become clear that a lot of people don't get the same reaction I do when discussing it in the professional environment. I guess I'll have to work on my delivery.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:21 AM #17
Bad71
.... from the ashes

Bad71 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Bad71 plays in the APPA D4 division
Bad71 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Bad71 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I see Draven's point...to a point. But I think they whole idea is a prime example of Over-thinking.
A poor reaction to hearing the 187 name is a good indication that that person clearly has no concept of the sport, or even enough open mindedness to entertain the idea of the sport's legitimacy. Therefore, In my opinion, the conversation about the sport in general should cease with said person.
Generally speaking, all sports team names are geared at intimidation and voilence... except maybe the Miami Dolphins. Lets face it, I, myself, never veiwed a dolphin in an aggressive, violent manner. Ths same people who would look upon a team like 187 as a bad role model simply due to the name are the same people who feel professional football and hockey should be banned for the violent tendancies they portray to children...
And if we are gonna call for a change to 187's name, we need to call for change to EVERY paintball team in the nation to follow suit.... both professional (Vicious, Damage, etc.) right down to the D5 ranks... have you ever read the team list for ANY local event, let alone the names that come out of the woodwork for a National event??
Personally, I like the name Upton Crabgrass ... has a nice ring to it... besides, have you EVER tried to get rid of crabgrass??? That stuff is tough to kill!!!!!

Bad71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:41 PM #18
Ionballer408
Snakeside-News

I don't think many people know what 187 means... Even if they did, its just a team name that fits with the sport.
They all say the same thing. They all agree that paintball is not a sport. Not a real method of activity, and honestly, they're right. It's not a sport, not a game, not an activity. It's more. More than a game, more than a sport. It's a union. A brotherhood. A place where you can be whoever you want. A place to live as big and as loud as you want. A place where no matter what what happened at work or school, you pick up that gun and you have to smile, because you know deep down that this is what you were meant to do.
We are paintballers
This is our game
This is our life
Ionballer408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 AM #19
2$SmallHead
raidah bawl

2$SmallHead is a Paintball photographer
2$SmallHead posts videos on PbNation
2$SmallHead has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
187! Armageddon!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:43 PM #20