PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-18-2014, 03:33 AM #1
Samoht

Why is the Rotor used that much?

Cheers guys,

I'm new to this Forum as well as to playing Paintball as a serious sport.
At the moment I play with a kind of retro setup, being a MD Droid with a Vlocity JR. I got both for cheap and it works fine for me. But the day will come when it's time to get a new hopper.
My question now is, why the Rotor is used that heavily? Let's just compare it to a Prophecy Z2 because they are in the pretty exact same price range.
One of the biggest points I see is, that the Rotor is quite a bit heavier than the Z2. Also I have read a lot about how the Rotor jams, while the Z2 barely jams and also has an well working auto-de-jam function.
The point that always is named in favour of the Rotor is it's fast and easy disassembly. But I think that the Z2 takes barely longer to disassemble and this is very rarely needed that it doesn't make up for the weight difference and the jamming issue in my opinion.
Now I want to hear your thoughts on why the Rotor is that much used, compared to for example a Z2. I rarely see any other hopper than a Rotor at my home field.

Greetings Thomas.

PS: As I'm from Austria(the small Country besides Germany) please excuse my English skills.

Last edited by Samoht : 04-18-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Samoht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2014, 08:54 AM #2
Chillanator

I would say it is due to the fact many people jumped on the Dye bandwagon and rotors currently flood the market. Most people buy their gear used and the abundance of rotors leads to a high quality hopper being sold for a cheap price. (Sometimes $75)
I prefer my rotor because it has a lower profile and is just downright reliable. Rain, mud, snow cant do a thing to it. Generally speaking though, every high end paintball product functions more or less the same. It just comes down to personal preference.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:45 AM #3
WP2015
ACL tears are no bueno

Annual Supporting Member
WP2015 plays in the PSP
WP2015 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
WP2015 posts videos on PbNation
WP2015 is an NCPA player
WP2015 supports Pev's Paintball
WP2015 supports Empire
WP2015 is All In
Start watching around the 00:30 mark.

LN Vanquish 1.5 For Sale! CHEAP!
LN D'Fender FS/T
PM me about new D'Fenders too!
WP2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:48 AM #4
hth_1
Another Canadian

hth_1 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
hth_1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
hth_1 posts videos on PbNation
hth_1 supports Empire
Well I typically like the empire stuff but damn I cannot deal with the z2 or even the original prophecy.

I like my rotor for one of it's huge plus battery efficiency, I can run that thing constantly and get at least 6 months use from it. Easy disassembly is also great, I mean I get all the way down to the gear box very fast and heck if I needed to pop open the gear box it's a cinch to do. Personally I also think it's one of the most durable hoppers if not the most durable Hopper, the only time I've seen one break was when a guy threw it on the ground stomped on it then threw it again. We managed to salvage the parts throw a top shell on it and it worked again for cheap lol

I liked the z2 for its larger hole (insert all the dirty jokes here), paint goes in better if I was rushing. The stock lid was also great, also very easy to change out to a speed feed as opposed to the rotor. The z2 is also very light, I think they are second to or better than the pinokio when comparing the high end hoppers.

What I didn't like about the z2 was that mine at least seemed to drain batteries, it only lasted 3 months on its 4 AA. Sometimes I would have long struggles to get everything to align and fit together again (so much for easy reassembly at that point). Sometimes I would get wires pinching either from the floor pinching the motor wires, or the front nose section pinching the battery wires. If you ever get shot into the speed feed or get blending issues with the z2 cleaning will take long time and quite the pain in the *** since it can do down on the board and gears and such.

Personally I didn't get much jamming issues with the rotors and I typically use custom blend or heat to practice with and nothing the trigger/fin could not fix. I did find that the lids and Windows on the rotor are quite fragile compared to the rest of the rotor, I sincerely hope that dye (but let's be honest they probably wont) would release at the very minimum Windows that have the same material as the rest of the body. The rotor is also a bit heavier than most other hoppers.

Myself I use a rotor with a CrownSF, and virtue board (I got the virtue board instead of the stock one from the guy I bought it off). My backup is an Empire magna
-Olive Hammer 7
-Green Eagle autococker
-Racer red eNMEy
*And where any marker can be gone at the right price ;) *
hth_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:52 AM #5
AHFellows
no stupid question? haha!

Annual Supporting Member
AHFellows is BST Trusted
AHFellows is playing at Living Legends VII
AHFellows owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AHFellows has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
AHFellows supports Empire
Its all personal preference honestly, and some people get lemons for every brand, I have had two jams with my rotor and that was because I allowed a foam pad to get in my hopper and jam it (idiot), second was a broken ball I failed to catch that just got even more chopped up (my own fault again) and the shark fin fixed it first try and I shot it out the barrel haha.

I like the looks of it, I like its profile and durability, have a buddy that likes them but likes the spire more, hes never had a problem with it so still prefers it and would swear by it. Might just be they saw them liked them got them, and have never had issues. as mentioned above they all more or less function the same way though.

KCCO
AHFellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:09 PM #6
Person

Person is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
There are a lot of reasons. One of the biggest appeals is the feeling that "it just works" the switch is solid on/off, its really positive and there isn't much else going on.

The rotor and the prophecy came out at about the same time, but the earlier prophecies had issues with the shells, the supplier wasn't keeping the stuff consistent and some were cracking, so they were right off the bat considered less reliable, in addition to being tougher to put together (the z2 is a lot easier). With the prophecy, it is easy to assemble the shells "almost right" and that is what a lot of people did. When you try to use the hopper in this state though, it doesn't feed right, because things inside a even more out of wack than the little button you can't get to fully engage with the shell.

So really the rotor just had a lot of time to develop a following because it was a no nonsense loader from the get go. Yes, it did have more jamming issues, but compared to previous hoppers (halos and stuff) it was miles and miles ahead so people were willing to overlook it's minor issues.

They are heavy, but compared to the halo, they are light. The prophecy was lighter and held WAY more paint, but some people just weren't willing to spend the 10 minutes learning how to assemble the shells, and then some of them were breaking at the feedneck.

Different strokes for different folks, and it just turns out most paintballers don't want to think about their hopper, they just want it to feed, even with the occasional jam when the paint gets too soft or whatever.

For me, I had no problem figuring out how to put a prophecy back together, and I really appreciated the fact that it just never jammed, it held insane amounts of paint and it was really light compared to most everything else. It was also a lot more durable than a halo or a vlocity. If dye comes out with a new rotor that can unjam without being disassembled, (and is hopefully lighter weight) I will be the first person in line to buy it. The rotor is amazing but to me the (even rare) jam that means I have to lay down on the field and rip my hopper apart is just unacceptable, I'd rather use a VL200 that never lets me down in that way.

I think HTH1 is a perfect example of a rotor guy, while I am an example of a prophecy guy. He seems like a totally cool dude, we just have different things we want out of our loaders. Both are fantastic hoppers miles ahead of what we had before.

Last edited by Person : 04-18-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:31 AM #7
Parasite
Not Amused

Annual Supporting Member
Parasite is a Moderator
Parasite is a Supporting Member
Parasite is a founding member
Parasite is BST Legit
Parasite donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP2015 View Post
Start watching around the 00:30 mark.
Poll: Has Your Empire Prophecy Z2 Nose Cone Ever Come Off During Play? - this poll may be relavent

"When people get a little too chummy with me
I like to call them by the wrong name
to let them know I don’t really care about them."

My oldschool PBN Feedback +48 Positive/ZERO negative : before the days of this "fancy" feedback system.
Parasite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:04 AM #8
hth_1
Another Canadian

hth_1 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
hth_1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
hth_1 posts videos on PbNation
hth_1 supports Empire
I will admit it Person I am a rotor guy. But like you said different strokes for different folks.

Op if you are on the fence about a Hopper, maybe look into trying buy used. So if you don't like the Hopper there is a good chance you can break even by selling it and trying a different Hopper.
-Olive Hammer 7
-Green Eagle autococker
-Racer red eNMEy
*And where any marker can be gone at the right price ;) *
hth_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 PM #9
xXPaintStormXx
Fresher Than Febreeze

xXPaintStormXx is playing at Living Legends VII
xXPaintStormXx plays in the APPA beginner division
xXPaintStormXx has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xXPaintStormXx supports Empire
First of all, many people have the nose cone on the z2 fall off spilling paint everywhere. The rotor feeds faster however the z2 Is technically a "smarter" hopper. Personally I and most players agree that the rotor is more low profile and looks nicer and more sleek. But overall I think it's the simplicity of the rotor which makes it so popular.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:50 AM #10
Person

I wouldn't call a taller and heavier hopper low profile. It's still a great hopper though.

Hth- Totally agree dude.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:24 AM #11
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Here is the thing - the rotor isn't physically smaller, it isn't physically lower in profile, and it's assembly/disassembly isn't simpler.

Disassembly is just different - to the point that improperly done on the rotor does not lead to hilariously catastrophic results.

The v2 prophecy with the small nose cone is the same capacity (roughly, I think it holds a few more) and nearly the same profile as the rotor.

The z2 IS smaller in profile and holds the same amount.

Rotor has great battery life.

Most paint ballers are stupid, and their opinions should be weighed as such.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:47 PM #12
PaintballofOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Here is the thing - the rotor isn't physically smaller, it isn't physically lower in profile, and it's assembly/disassembly isn't simpler.

Disassembly is just different - to the point that improperly done on the rotor does not lead to hilariously catastrophic results.

The v2 prophecy with the small nose cone is the same capacity (roughly, I think it holds a few more) and nearly the same profile as the rotor.

The z2 IS smaller in profile and holds the same amount.

Rotor has great battery life.

Most paint ballers are stupid, and their opinions should be weighed as such.
Increasing the capacity on a prophecy doesn't increase its height vs rotors and Spires but does have great battery life for those who don't use rechargeable batteries. V2 stock was 240 balls with extended nose 280.

SPIRE

Z2

RDR

ROTOR
PaintballofOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:05 PM #13
joker12187
Axis

joker12187 plays in the PSP
joker12187 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
joker12187 plays in the APPA D4 division
the rotor is a workhorse...when i had one i never had any problems with it..you can actually set how much pressure is put on the ball stack. i adjusted mine, and never had any jams..like at all..it is a great hopper, but if you run out of batteries, you're screwed, cause it has no rip drive..also, if you run out of paint, it spins fast and loud..

the z2 is a great hopper as well..a buddy of mine had two of them..the only problem is, if you take a bad fall, their is a chance that your hopper is gonna break into 50 tiny peices..that happened to him in a tournament..but, other then that it's good hopper.

the spire is my favorite, and have had it for over a year and a half..its awesome...lighter then the rotor and on par with the z2, smaller then both, but holds more then both at the same time..and does what i need it to do. id recommend going for a spire, and you're set

2013 Axis Red - MiLP D5 Race to 2 - 3rd Overall in Series
2013 Downfall - World Cup D5 Race to 2 - 7th Place
2014 Axis - MiLP D4 Race to 4 - 3rd Overall in Series

WTT Deadlywind 12in Carbon Fibur w/ full freak kit for a .688 Dye CF Boomy Back - PM if interested!

middletennesseepaintball.com
joker12187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:10 PM #14
theVicious1

Annual Supporting Member
People like rotors because they work well, simple to operate, simple to breakdown and re-assemble, super efficient on batteries, and tougher than nails...oh, and fast. Really fast.

It can be picky on paint, but usually only when you shoot garbage. Stop buying brown box. It CAN load paint when batteries are dead, the anti-jam will load about 3 balls at a time. Not great, nothing like the rip-drive, but you aren't TOTALLY disabled.
theVicious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:59 PM #15
Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintballofOKC View Post
Increasing the capacity on a prophecy doesn't increase its height
The the 240 shells add around an inch to the height of the z2.

Totally worth it. It can fit a full pod when you have like 100 balls still in the hopper. The stock setup needs to be basically empty to hold a full pod with a speed feed.

Last edited by Person : 04-20-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:14 AM #16
MaG Adrenal1ne
#PlayforPride

MaG Adrenal1ne is playing at Living Legends VI
MaG Adrenal1ne plays in the APPA D4 division
MaG Adrenal1ne supports DLX Technology
They are all over the market and readily avaialble because they released 3 versions and everyone always wants the best... not to mention they change the design every year..
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
***ONE OF A KIND G6R***
MaG Adrenal1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:42 PM #17
MexiBaller147
The Whitest Mexican Alive

MexiBaller147 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MexiBaller147 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MexiBaller147 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillanator View Post
I would say it is due to the fact many people jumped on the Dye bandwagon and rotors currently flood the market. Most people buy their gear used and the abundance of rotors leads to a high quality hopper being sold for a cheap price. (Sometimes $75)
You really can't get truer than that. It's like owning an iPhone over an Android basically

Se habla Español
MexiBaller147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:29 AM #18
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
I've had my rotor running jam free for 5 years with the virtue soft cycle in it. Never let me down. My spire is already back into Empire for issues and costing me more money. I do like the spire ...but at this point I can't trust it as a stand alone hopper without backup. We'll see how she works after I get it back, if it ever shows up.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" critical .680 barrel and cure 3 + bolt F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:28 PM #19
Person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...PQMMpE#t=88 1

Thats why I'm not a fan though. In game dis assembly needed to clear jams.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:29 PM #20
MstrKey

hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...PQMMpE#t=88 1

Thats why I'm not a fan though. In game dis assembly needed to clear jams.
? Dude had a barrel full of core and probably a lot of broken paint in the hopper. Since you mention it though, you can take the top half of the hopper apart in a couple seconds which was fantastic for him.

Last edited by MstrKey : 05-04-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:22 PM #21
MstrKey

UPdate: Got a notice in my mail box that my hopper was sent back. The sad news is, I live in Canada, they sent it by UPS with a value on the pack so now I have to pay UPS 23 frikkin bucks in brokerage/taxes on a used item. Now this has cost me 50 bucks to send in when they could have just mailed me a board and new fingers for 5 bucks. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It gets better, I'm not HOME during delivery hours for UPS so I have no idea how I'm even going to get it since it was also sent requiring an adult signature for delivery. I live alone!

Dear Virtue paintball. Never send anything to canada(or any country) by UPS. They charge us taxes and fees based on the value of the item. Had you marked it as "WARRANTY REPAIR" on the package(like you should have) it may have been ok. Otherwise it cost us up to 30% of the value to receive it.
Now I have no clue how to even get the thing but if I do it's going up for sale to re-coupe all the lost money.

Or I may just let it go back to virtue. NOt sure what to do at this point.