Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-20-2013, 02:11 PM #1
JamieG

What is next in paintball technology?

So I hear everyone saying that the paintball industry has hit a plateau in technology whether it be marker design, paintballs, masks, ect..

I am rather new to the paintball scene, but I can see how this can be true.

Question:
However, what else is there to improve? What else do people want to be done as far as technology goes?

Discuss....

My Opinion: Paintball technology does not seem to be lacking, and rather than try to make "better" markers the industry should focus on finding ways to make paintball cheaper to play.

If the industry could focus on reducing the cost of markers, equipment, and paintballs then it would allow more players to enter the game, bring old players back, and grow the industry as a whole.
Field: Warriors for Christ and Country fields
JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:18 PM #2
Pump Scout
A dream within a dream

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is playing at Living Legends VII
Pump Scout supports Team VICIOUS
Pump Scout is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
SplatMasters are the next big thing in paintball.

Before the rash of nastiness, think about it. SplatMasters can get new players into the sport on a tiny budget. The paint is pretty reasonably priced, especially at the lower rate of fire. The Z100 and Z200 guns are just the opening round probably, just like the original SplatMaster and NelSpot 007 were the first of the .68 caliber paintball guns. They run without a compressed gas propellant to worry about, and there's no arguments about ramping/firing modes or velocities.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:23 PM #3
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
So I hear everyone saying that the paintball industry has hit a plateau in technology whether it be marker design, paintballs, masks, ect..

I am rather new to the paintball scene, but I can see how this can be true.

Question:
However, what else is there to improve? What else do people want to be done as far as technology goes?

Discuss....

My Opinion: Paintball technology does not seem to be lacking, and rather than try to make "better" markers the industry should focus on finding ways to make paintball cheaper to play.

If the industry could focus on reducing the cost of markers, equipment, and paintballs then it would allow more players to enter the game, bring old players back, and grow the industry as a whole.
Are you kidding? Compared to when I started, it is dirt cheap to get a high quality marker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post

Before the rash of nastiness, think about it. SplatMasters can get new players into the sport on a tiny budget. The paint is pretty reasonably priced, especially at the lower rate of fire. The Z100 and Z200 guns are just the opening round probably, just like the original SplatMaster and NelSpot 007 were the first of the .68 caliber paintball guns. They run without a compressed gas propellant to worry about, and there's no arguments about ramping/firing modes or velocities.
What are the velocities on the splatmasters?

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 01-20-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:03 PM #4
Pump Scout
A dream within a dream

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
The Z100/200 get about 120fps. Perfect for an 8-10 year old to get their feet wet in paintball without coming home, or in from the back yard, with a bunch of welts.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:44 PM #5
bulzeye

bulzeye is a Supporting Member
bulzeye donated to help Peyton Trent
bulzeye supports Team VICIOUS
bulzeye is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:

people need to feel secure with their financial situation before they are going to splurge on luxuries like paintball. that is the biggest thing that needs to happen. paintball is about as cheap as it has ever been.

i think one of the next big things in paintball is going to be is Magfed taking over for a lot of the scenario players if it hasn't already.
bulzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:45 PM #6
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulzeye View Post
i think one of the next big things in paintball is going to be is Magfed taking over for a lot of the scenario players if it hasn't already.
Not gonna happen, scenario players put tourney players to shame when it comes to the amount of paint they shoot.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 PM #7
JamieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
Are you kidding? Compared to when I started, it is dirt cheap to get a high quality marker.
Sure it is, but that's no reason why it can't get cheaper. If a company focuses it's time and energy on that it will happen. There is plenty of room for paint to become much cheaper as well as markers and equipment.

If the company can lower their costs to produce and then lower the cost to the consumer they make the same money per sale, but they gain more customers/sales and make more money.

#1 reason why people I know who did play paintball or just play occasionally is because it is a very expensive sport. More expensive than any other that I know. I know people who play airsoft just because it is cheaper and would rather be playing paintball.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 PM #8
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
#1 reason why people I know who did play paintball or just play occasionally is because it is a very expensive sport. More expensive than any other that I know. I know people who play airsoft just because it is cheaper and would rather be playing paintball.
Paintball can be very cheap to play, just the culture has made the game more expensive than it needs to be.

You can get an entire starter package, gun, mask, hopper, and tank, for about $80. Brand new. Of course you start asking around some players won't give you the time of day if you haven't spent over $400.

Going with a quick sampling of local field prices, a day at the field costs $35. Entry, all day air/CO2, and 500 balls. Ask around and way too many players think you need a full case just to play, if not multiple cases.

You could play once a month at 500 balls an outing with a basic blowback for an entire year and not spend over $500 in total. Too bad not enough players consider that "real" paintball.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 PM #9
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Sure it is, but that's no reason why it can't get cheaper. If a company focuses it's time and energy on that it will happen. There is plenty of room for paint to become much cheaper as well as markers and equipment.

If the company can lower their costs to produce and then lower the cost to the consumer they make the same money per sale, but they gain more customers/sales and make more money.

Um... it actually takes quite a bit of money to design and machine a paintball gun.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 AM #10
JamieG

So there is nothing special that is being anticipated by the community then?

And yes it does take quite a bit of money to design a paintball gun, but as with all things that are not hand made there is an initial high cost to launch and the longer you have the product the lower the cost is to produce it.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM #11
Pump Scout
A dream within a dream

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
We're kind of in a time of refinement rather than outright revolutions. Companies aren't seeing people calling for anything in particular, at least nothing that's going to still make them money. More efficiency, smoother shots, lighter weight? We've got all that. Guns today are probably a touch TOO light. Efficiency is over a case on a 68/4500 fill on many guns. Smoothness is right up there, too, with guns barely moving as they cycle. With what we have to work with (68 caliber balls at 300fps), we're probably at a point where there's not too much more to improve. Details are going to adjust, accessories will change, but the functional part of the sport is probably as good as it's going to be.

Will there be a huge quantum leap in what we use or how we play? Probably, but it's not going to come from the tournament/speedball side of the game.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 PM #12
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
We've pretty much boiled paintball down to a science and I don't see much more progress. If players didn't protect their favorite companies from each other and instead let capitalism play out we might see cheaper markers.

In theory, there should be a bunch of low to mid end markers with every company competing for who can give you the most features for the lowest cost and a few luxury guns that hardly anyone buys. Instead we have a ton of luxury guns and only a few cheaper models, many of which make better paper weights than paintball guns.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:09 PM #13
ELuSiVe1151

ELuSiVe1151 is an NCPA player
ELuSiVe1151 plays in the APPA D5 division
Marker manufacturers could stand to learn a thing or two from auto manufacturers. If Ford had been taking it's marketing cues from the Planet Eclipse School of Business Development, the bluetooth audio alone would jack a Ford Fiesta up to about $75,000.
The Grind Continues!!!
Empossible Sports - Jim Pica Foto - Meadowlands PB
ELuSiVe1151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 PM #14
MrLittlerSmith
Should Be Doing Homework

MrLittlerSmith has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Sure paintball is expensive, but like Fubarius said it's not as bad as you're making it seem. If you're thrifty enough it's easy to get a good price on old, pro setups. (although I do wish paint was cheaper)Also I played airsoft a few years back and I find paintball much better cost wise purely because of marker durability. You see markers lasting for 10+ yrs sometimes while an airsoft gun could die after six months . Finally look at snowboarding, skiing, and many other extreme sports. Like in paintball, you can still go down the same slopes with a crap board versus a brand new $2000 board. Only difference would be quality.

"Originally posted by DB-1071: "Pump players are the first ones I shoot in open play rec-ball, those guys are sneaky bastards!!!"
MrLittlerSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 PM #15
pumpingflips

Honestly the next part to paintball is making the fields a lot better. Such as playing at a school or office building like a swat mission. Thats wat is next for the sport
pumpingflips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 PM #16
ELuSiVe1151

ELuSiVe1151 is an NCPA player
ELuSiVe1151 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpingflips View Post
Honestly the next part to paintball is making the fields a lot better. Such as playing at a school or office building like a swat mission. Thats wat is next for the sport
O.o

paintball fields that look like schools = NOT whats next for paintball.
The Grind Continues!!!
Empossible Sports - Jim Pica Foto - Meadowlands PB
ELuSiVe1151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 PM #17
MrLittlerSmith
Should Be Doing Homework

MrLittlerSmith has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELuSiVe1151 View Post
O.o

Could get the sport banned for good Although a mixup of fields could be cool, I hope we stay away from controversy

"Originally posted by DB-1071: "Pump players are the first ones I shoot in open play rec-ball, those guys are sneaky bastards!!!"
MrLittlerSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 AM #18
p8ntballer101
K-nasty

but making a paintball field day for a high school on there football field would be cool.
APPA Player ID#9837 - CURRENT RANK: D3
FIRE IN THE HOLE!~ DP G4 APE RAMPAGE LED BOARD TECHT BOLT SP FULL FREAK W/ AA TIP ROTOR 77cu NINJA TANK DYE HYPER3 REG EXALT TANK and REG GRIP (onT e c h P B@:: p8ntballer101 )
p8ntballer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 AM #19
JamieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELuSiVe1151 View Post
O.o

lol so true.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 AM #20
steve_81
Paintballing since 1996

steve_81 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post

Didn't the sport try to get the younger crowd involved before? Why is it Paintball is on this push to get kids into the game when for the first 20 years of it's existence it was mainly an adult played game? I have to argue that in those 20 years Paintball grew more then before they changed tactics and started advertising the game as an "extreme sport" trying to get kids to play. I mean advertising to a demographic that can't afford it seems silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
We've pretty much boiled paintball down to a science and I don't see much more progress. If players didn't protect their favorite companies from each other and instead let capitalism play out we might see cheaper markers.
I agree completely, The players have really let Paintball down. They fail to realize that that they are the ones in charge and that they vote with their dollars. As a result of their passiveness they Let the likes of Tom Kaye, Fred Schultz, and Budd Orr slip away from Paintball. People whom really cared about our great game.

Last edited by steve_81 : 01-23-2013 at 07:55 AM.
steve_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:30 PM #21
imOGpb

imOGpb has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
imOGpb has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
you can get a marker that does everything the hi end guns have for like 250. (lower quality ). but when i started playing like 14 years ago thats what you would pay for a piranha