TubbyChetty

Cool Repair or Ditch

I have a etek2 with a few upgrades
its got a
virtue redefined board
cure 3 bolt
zick kit
rake trigger

but its got a bad solliniod I don't know if its worth repairing or not I don't have a ton of money to get a new good gun and I love my etek but from a outsiders stand point what should I do?
TubbyChetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2013, 10:14 PM #2
Stan6543

Stan6543 plays in the PSP
Stan6543 has perfected Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Stan6543 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Etek Solenoid
List Price: $129.99
and eteks go for 199$ so i would replace and sell all the working parts/upgrades
Stan6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 PM #3
msweeneygt
Sinister Ops

msweeneygt owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
msweeneygt has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
msweeneygt has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PaintballGateway sells them for $109. I personally would fix the gun. An Etek 2 with those ups IMO is worth reviving. Have you tore the solenoid down and tried relubing and replacing the shaft orings?
Planet Eclipse Etek w/. Star frame, 08 Ego expansion board, Etek 2 regulator, Ego10 OOPS ASA, SLS Cure 3+ bolt w/. inserts, Zick kit, Kila detents, Violent thumbwheel, PE red laser eyes, Shaft 4 barrel kit w/. all backs and fronts, both Bump pistons.
V3 Dye Rotor w/. Virtue board
114/4500 Carleton w/. Myth reg

Ego/Etek Parts FS/T
msweeneygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 PM #4
TubbyChetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by msweeneygt View Post
PaintballGateway sells them for $109. I personally would fix the gun. An Etek 2 with those ups IMO is worth reviving. Have you tore the solenoid down and tried relubing and replacing the shaft orings?
i have not the problem is is that its not clicking/engaging idk what could be wrong
Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 AM #5
speedy2k4
BSH University

speedy2k4 is a Supporting Member
Check the wires for damage/loose connections. If you've got a cheap multimeter you can check resistance through the coil. If you've got a nice multimeter you can check power supply from the board.

If you don't have the ability to check those things it might be worth finding someone who can before tossing your solenoid in the trash.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 AM #6
TubbyChetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2k4 View Post
Check the wires for damage/loose connections. If you've got a cheap multimeter you can check resistance through the coil. If you've got a nice multimeter you can check power supply from the board.

If you don't have the ability to check those things it might be worth finding someone who can before tossing your solenoid in the trash.
see the problem is, is that sometime it'll work sometimes it wont like I played a turny with it the during open play it wouldn't work that was 2 weeks ago now I just put the battery back in and turned it on and the solenoid is clicking again I don't know what the **** is going on with the damn thing
Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 AM #7
veener79
eNVee

veener79 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
veener79 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
See maybe if you can find a used one very cheap if you are on tight budget.

Proud to call the Badlandz home
www.thebadlandz.com

Loving the paintball community and team I am on.
veener79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:49 AM #8
TubbyChetty

its not that im on a tight budget im just trying to figure out if its worth repairing or if its just a money pit right now it seems like the noid is super temperamental I found a nice 2k5 alias timmy online for 250 idk if I should get that and put this on the back burner or fix it
Old 01-20-2013, 12:05 PM #9
TubbyChetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyChetty View Post
its not that im on a tight budget im just trying to figure out if its worth repairing or if its just a money pit right now it seems like the noid is super temperamental I found a nice 2k5 alias timmy online for 250 idk if I should get that and put this on the back burner or fix it
okay so I opened the solenoid nothing looked out of the ordinary and it is clicking but not as loud as it should Im not sure if its the solenoid or the board right now :/ anybody have issues like this with a board before?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:51 PM #10
speedy2k4
BSH University

speedy2k4 is a Supporting Member
Make sure your battery is fresh. That's the most likely cause of an intermittent issue like this, especially if it doesn't work when cold (outside while playing) but seems to work at home where it's warm. Also check that the connector is plugged in to the board securely and none of the terminals are loose in the connector.

An open in the coil would likely cause it to never work, a short in the coil would likely cause a weak magnet and velocity issues. A board problem could cause a lot of different issues. There are ways to diagnose these things without spending $100 on a replacement part.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:46 PM #11
TubbyChetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2k4 View Post
Make sure your battery is fresh. That's the most likely cause of an intermittent issue like this, especially if it doesn't work when cold (outside while playing) but seems to work at home where it's warm. Also check that the connector is plugged in to the board securely and none of the terminals are loose in the connector.

An open in the coil would likely cause it to never work, a short in the coil would likely cause a weak magnet and velocity issues. A board problem could cause a lot of different issues. There are ways to diagnose these things without spending $100 on a replacement part.
the battery is fresh it reads at 8.9v and all the wires are in order so the only thing I can think is the short in the coil I mean I save 30 bucks by not needing a manifold so I think im going to order it off paintballgateway for 110 maybe some new hose aswell
Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 PM #12
msweeneygt
Sinister Ops

msweeneygt owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
msweeneygt has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
msweeneygt has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Before you go through that why don't you PM me. I might be able to save you some money.
Planet Eclipse Etek w/. Star frame, 08 Ego expansion board, Etek 2 regulator, Ego10 OOPS ASA, SLS Cure 3+ bolt w/. inserts, Zick kit, Kila detents, Violent thumbwheel, PE red laser eyes, Shaft 4 barrel kit w/. all backs and fronts, both Bump pistons.
V3 Dye Rotor w/. Virtue board
114/4500 Carleton w/. Myth reg

Ego/Etek Parts FS/T
msweeneygt is offline   Reply With Quote