Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-19-2013, 04:45 PM #1
nooballer88

I just bought my first case of paint. I have a few questions..

So I bought my first case of paint ever from an online store for around $42 and when it got to me there were 2 broken balls in one of the bags, and none in the others. Is that normal to have breaks when you buy paint? I imagine buying from the store is equally risky since they get it shipped to them, too?

Also, how can I quality check it? What are some things I can look for maybe? hardness? anything like this would be really good to know I think.

Paintball is a lot of fun and I'm just getting into it now. I appreciate all the help I can get!
nooballer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2013, 04:47 PM #2
gamer565
Place ran by hypocrites

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
Shipping companys are rough with packages, so your likely to get a few broken paintballs cause of that.

Supporting the local store(Im talking about walmart or some sporting store), you will at least be able to check the bags before waling out the door to make sure you get what you are paying for.

gamer565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:03 PM #3
nooballer88

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer565 View Post
Supporting the local store(Im talking about walmart or some sporting store), you will at least be able to check the bags before waling out the door to make sure you get what you are paying for.
What are some things I should check? Hardness? Should they bounce if you drop one from arm's length? What makes good paint, I guess?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:20 PM #4
GanjaPalooza
Double D

GanjaPalooza owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
GanjaPalooza plays in the APPA D4 division
GanjaPalooza has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Good paint = paint that can drop from 1-2 ft and will crack, but we are talking tournament grade here, I have seen them crack at drops lower than a foot I feel like. Now here comes the hard part, having paintballs break that easily but are sturdy enough to be shot our of a marker at 300FPS.

Some guns are more harsh on the paint, as well as hoppers; so this could be a factor to take in as well.

Now, when it goes to Recball/weekend play I would not be too worried about the quality of paint. Your average mid-grade paint will bounce even when you drop it from shoulder-height. What brand did you get?

Evil paint is a common brand I use during tournaments.... we get them for around $45 a case but I know that can vary greatly depending on the part of the world you are in.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:39 PM #5
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaPalooza View Post
Good paint = paint that can drop from 1-2 ft and will crack, but we are talking tournament grade here, I have seen them crack at drops lower than a foot I feel like. Now here comes the hard part, having paintballs break that easily but are sturdy enough to be shot our of a marker at 300FPS.

Some guns are more harsh on the paint, as well as hoppers; so this could be a factor to take in as well.

Now, when it goes to Recball/weekend play I would not be too worried about the quality of paint. Your average mid-grade paint will bounce even when you drop it from shoulder-height. What brand did you get?

Evil paint is a common brand I use during tournaments.... we get them for around $45 a case but I know that can vary greatly depending on the part of the world you are in.
Yea at PSP MAO we got GI 4star for $30 a case instead of the normal $60-$70 it costs
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:38 PM #6
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Finding broken balls in paint shipped through the mail isn't uncommon at all, unfortunately.

I wouldn't sweat it. Just dump the balls from the messy bag into an old towel or T-shirt, remove any bits of broken shell, and gently roll them around with another shirt or towel until all the fill has been rubbed off. Put the cleaned paint into a zip-lock bag, with a silica gel packet, if you have one. Should be good as new.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:41 PM #7
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
I'm guessing if he bought his first box of paint ever he's not looking for tournament grade paint. Even most pros don't use paint that breaks that easy during the whole game, just on the breakouts.

If it bounces from shoulder height on concrete within 2-3 drops it's fine for rec play. Most will break on 1-2 from that height on concrete.

You might want to take the bags out of the box and lay them flat. Then rotate them every 5 hours or so just to get the paint inside mixed up nicely.
That will help round out any bad spots if the paint has been sitting a long time. Keep it at room temperature and dry. It should be fine.

You can clean the paint in the broken bags as others have said. Two towels works great. 99% alcohol also works great and won't dissolve the shells. It has to be 99.9% though, anything less won't work.

Black/Purple Spire F/s. Freshly updated from Virtue.
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 AM #8
nooballer88

Well to be honest, they aren't perfectly round because there is a seam from the two halves of the shell. Is this a problem? Some paintballs I've seen don't have seams I think. Are those better?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:11 AM #9
gamer565
Place ran by hypocrites

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
All paintballs have seams, some are just covered up better then other.

gamer565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:11 AM #10
YeloSno
ALT Bazaar - Coming Soon!

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
most paintballs will have a noticeable or thick seam.

That's one of the determining features that you get from a lower grade of paint along with a less consistent fill and not having that thinner, but denser shell.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

Sale so good you'll get a ****in' coma trying to find your wallet.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by R3L: Nostalgia's a hell of a drug."
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 AM #11
nooballer88

Are small little flat spots on the ball okay too? Will they go away if I take the bags out of the box or are they not a problem?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 AM #12
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooballer88 View Post
Are small little flat spots on the ball okay too? Will they go away if I take the bags out of the box or are they not a problem?
Sounds like you have dimpled paint. That's no bueno
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:48 AM #13
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
The dimples are also pretty common and usually result from either a manufacturing defect or the paint, the paint being stored or shipped at too high a temperature, or having been stored too long without being rotated.
Ideally, if you're going to store paint for any period of time it's good practice to turn the boxes or bags over on a different side once a week. This helps prevent dimples from forming.

It depends on how large the dimples are, but they can negatively effect the paint's accuracy. I wouldn't count on them going away.

It's another reason to buy locally. Just chalk it up to learning, shoot the case, and be glad you only ordered one.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:20 PM #14
99BPS

Yea, sounds like crap homie, sorry. Local store ftw even if its walmart or dicks.
Mech: GoG EnmeY
Pump: Az KP2, Pre2K WGP PumPed Cocker
Old School: Evil Pimp #1: Black/Silver
Super Pimp (#2): *Minty stock* SuperMan color swap
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:27 PM #15
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaPalooza View Post

If your paint is breaking at 1-2 feet it will never survive being fired from a gun. Paint shouldn't break at anything less than a 5-6 foot drop, otherwise you've got **** paint.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:58 PM #16
nooballer88

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
most paintballs will have a noticeable or thick seam.

That's one of the determining features that you get from a lower grade of paint along with a less consistent fill and not having that thinner, but denser shell.
Man, I've got a lot to learn.

What do you mean by consistent fill exactly? I've heard of thick fills being better than thin fills, but can it actually separate like oil and water?

Are you saying a thinner shell is better? Doesn't that cause chopping?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:02 PM #17
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Man, I've got a lot to learn.

What do you mean by consistent fill exactly? I've heard of thick fills being better than thin fills, but can it actually separate like oil and water?

Are you saying a thinner shell is better? Doesn't that cause chopping?
Chopping is simply a misfead, and any paintball will do that. Barrel breaks are when a paint is too brittle or too fragile and the balls explode in the chamber from the air pressure normally used to fire a paintball.

While tournament grade paint does break more easily, that does not make it the best paint to use in all situations.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:16 PM #18
nooballer88

how much does weather come into account when playing? I intend to play in the fall here since summer is really hot. Does heat/cold affect the paint a lot?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:19 PM #19
die.another.day

A few broken balls isnt gonna kill u. Unless u run an ego....
die.another.day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:20 PM #20
die.another.day

Jeez what paint is it
die.another.day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:52 PM #21
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
how much does weather come into account when playing? I intend to play in the fall here since summer is really hot. Does heat/cold affect the paint a lot?
Yes, the the higher the grade, the higher the effect on the paint.

btw, if you want to store paint for long periods of time, what you need to do is put it in an airtight container and add some rice. The rice will absorb the moisture and increase the time you can store paint from a month to several months. Possibly getting better because the rice dries the paint out.

Recently, in the back of my closet I found some PMI premium stored in a pod who what has to be at least 8-9 months with some rice and it breaks like eggshells. It would be nice except the paint has started to grow bubbles(like dimples, but its from more force coming from the paint inside than the outside; the paint is actually under a small amount of pressure because when paintballs are first made they are almost an inch across full of paint and then shrink to .68)

And don't worry about paint on the outside of the shell, there is paint on the inside from the day they are made and that doesn't ruin the paint. Just make sure you dry it off so they fly straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by die.another.day View Post
A few broken balls isnt gonna kill u. Unless u run an ego....
an ego will fire underwater, I don't think a bit of paint is going to hurt it.