Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 09:12 PM #1
tylerb1313
 
 
tylerb1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nor-Cal
tylerb1313 supports Team VICIOUS
tylerb1313 plays in the APPA beginner division
tylerb1313 supports DLX Technology
Etek 3 vs Axe

What do you guys prefer? I currently have an etek and was wondering if I should get an axe
__________________
14'' Freak Barrel FT Only
tylerb1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 PM #2
IBleed Arbor
vtec just kicked in, yo!
 
IBleed Arbor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Connecticut
IBleed Arbor plays in the PSP
IBleed Arbor owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
IBleed Arbor is reppin' sidebar 4 life
IBleed Arbor is Boss
IBleed Arbor supports DLX Technology
Stay with the etek, that being said if you really want to switch the axe is also a great marker. Both reliable and low maintenance, exactly what you want in a mid end marker.
IBleed Arbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 PM #3
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath
 
blueshifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Eteks are too loud for me.
__________________
Feedback: Old (+4)
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 PM #4
IBleed Arbor
vtec just kicked in, yo!
 
IBleed Arbor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Connecticut
IBleed Arbor plays in the PSP
IBleed Arbor owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
IBleed Arbor is reppin' sidebar 4 life
IBleed Arbor is Boss
IBleed Arbor supports DLX Technology
^ one downside
IBleed Arbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:46 PM #5
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior
 
Paper_Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
Eteks are too loud for me.
Hush bolt solves such problems.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM #6
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath
 
blueshifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Not really... didn't work on my ego7 either so I got rid of it. The axe with a boss or eigenbolt is very quiet, smooth and has the other thing that really appeals to me and that's the enclosed bolt.
__________________
Feedback: Old (+4)
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 PM #7
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior
 
Paper_Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
 has been a member for 10 years
I like the exposed bolt. It lets me take the bolt out and run the squeegee from one end to the other.
I've been shooting shockers for years and years, so having a gun I can just run the squeegee through and access all the internals easily is the novelty for me.

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 01-16-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 AM #8
[NA]WARLORD
 
 
[NA]WARLORD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sunny FLA !!!!!!!!!!!
[NA]WARLORD is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
[NA]WARLORD has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
[NA]WARLORD supports Empire
You can do that with the Axe too PC, the bolt and carrier come out with the push of a button and a twist of the back cap.

shows you in the first 30 seconds how easy it is
[NA]WARLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 AM #9
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath
 
blueshifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
I can say that the axe is super gentle on paint and the odds of a chop or break requiring that level of cleaning is small.
__________________
Feedback: Old (+4)
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:50 AM #10
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior
 
Paper_Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [NA]WARLORD View Post
You can do that with the Axe too PC, the bolt and carrier come out with the push of a button and a twist of the back cap.

shows you in the first 30 seconds how easy it is
Why would someone want to downgrade from a shocker to an axe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
I can say that the axe is super gentle on paint and the odds of a chop or break requiring that level of cleaning is small.
Key word in that last post is "novelty"

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 01-16-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 AM #11
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath
 
blueshifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
Key word in that last post is "novelty"
Is that the word you added in the edit?

Fair enough though, stacked tube poppets are not my favorite design. I don't like to see moving parts and since most guns I shoot are gentle on paint, the "novelty" I prefer is the enclosed bolt.
__________________
Feedback: Old (+4)
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 AM #12
Nuke em
Nuke 'em if you got it!
 
Nuke em's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ohio
Nuke em owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Nuke em owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Nuke em supports Team VICIOUS
Nuke em supports Team VICIOUS
I've had an Etek 3 AM before.

I have just traded up for a Geo 2. And while I loved my Etek, spool valve guns are just simply amazing. They're quiet, no moving parts by your hands, and have a better shooting consistency. With my Etek, I experienced a drop towards the end of the paint stream. Its just what happens, so don't scorch to shoot a full lane with this gun. It can shoot about 40 yards before drop off.

But, it's your preference. I like Planet Eclipse markers, and I always will. Its your choice, but that's my experience with an etek.
Nuke em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM #13
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior
 
Paper_Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
Is that the word you added in the edit?

Fair enough though, stacked tube poppets are not my favorite design. I don't like to see moving parts and since most guns I shoot are gentle on paint, the "novelty" I prefer is the enclosed bolt.
I changed "quite novel" to "novelty"

However, an exposed bolt doesn't mean it isn't gentle on paint and an enclosed bolt doesn't mean it is gentle.

Personally, I've got a 2k5'd GZ timmy in the works. I bought it broken, then broke it some more trying to take apart and clean it(the owner had never taken care of it as far as I can tell. He also lubed the ram with axle grease).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke em View Post
I've had an Etek 3 AM before.

I have just traded up for a Geo 2. And while I loved my Etek, spool valve guns are just simply amazing. They're quiet, no moving parts by your hands, and have a better shooting consistency. With my Etek, I experienced a drop towards the end of the paint stream. Its just what happens, so don't scorch to shoot a full lane with this gun. It can shoot about 40 yards before drop off.

But, it's your preference. I like Planet Eclipse markers, and I always will. Its your choice, but that's my experience with an etek.
That isn't a normal problem. I think you had your LPR set too low.

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 01-16-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 AM #14
Nuke em
Nuke 'em if you got it!
 
Nuke em's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ohio
Nuke em owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Nuke em owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Nuke em supports Team VICIOUS
Nuke em supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
That isn't a normal problem. I think you had your LPR set too low.
The gun tech at my local fields even went through the gun and said nothing was set wrong. We had no clue what would affect it.
Nuke em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 AM #15
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath
 
blueshifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke em View Post
The gun tech at my local fields even went through the gun and said nothing was set wrong. We had no clue what would affect it.
He's right... eteks are great for ripping tons of paint. My guess is that your HPR piston was sticking and needed to be lubed.
__________________
Feedback: Old (+4)
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM #16
[NA]WARLORD
 
 
[NA]WARLORD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sunny FLA !!!!!!!!!!!
[NA]WARLORD is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
[NA]WARLORD has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
[NA]WARLORD supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
Why would someone want to downgrade from a shocker to an axe?
Efficiency, easier on paint, something that has a solid warranty with a manufacturer that's still in business

Empire offers a lifetime warranty vs GoG who will fix your gun for a price.
[NA]WARLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM #17
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior
 
Paper_Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [NA]WARLORD View Post
Efficiency, easier on paint, something that has a solid warranty with a manufacturer that's still in business

Empire offers a lifetime warranty vs GoG who will fix your gun for a price.
Bob Long doesn't give you **** in the way of warranties and his costs to fix it are ****ing ridiculous but I wouldn't say that makes the Axe better than a Victory.

Also, for $55 you can put an eigenbolt in a shocker and have a gun that shoots over a case on a 68/45

Lastly, who told you the axe was easier on paint than any other gun? Back in my day when someone said something that stupid we would take him out back and hit him with sticks until he saw the error of his ways.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 PM #18
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath
 
blueshifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
Lastly, who told you the axe was easier on paint than any other gun? Back in my day when someone said something that stupid we would take him out back and hit him with sticks until he saw the error of his ways.
There is a video somewhere of a dude putting his tongue in the breech of an axe and cycling it... dare you to do that with a shocker.
__________________
Feedback: Old (+4)
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 PM #19
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior
 
Paper_Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
There is a video somewhere of a dude putting his tongue in the breech of an axe and cycling it... dare you to do that with a shocker.
Since when did pushing the ball forward equate to gentler on paint? The problem with gentle paint and cheap guns comes from barrel breaks when the blast of air behind the ball annihilates the brittle paintball. The etek 3 has eyes and a cure bolt, so how likely it is to shop paint is entirely negated by those two items. The eyes for detecting a load, and the cure bolt to keep the smallest paint from stacking halfway down the tube.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 PM #20
[NA]WARLORD
 
 
[NA]WARLORD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sunny FLA !!!!!!!!!!!
[NA]WARLORD is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
[NA]WARLORD has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
[NA]WARLORD supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
Bob Long doesn't give you **** in the way of warranties and his costs to fix it are ****ing ridiculous but I wouldn't say that makes the Axe better than a Victory.
Nobody cares about Bob Long, we were talking about Shockers VS Axe's. And I would still take an Axe over your outdated shocker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
Also, for $55 you can put an eigenbolt in a shocker and have a gun that shoots over a case on a 68/45
If that was the case then everyone would be scooping up old shockers and shooting them in tourneys/scenarios etc, but just because you believe it that makes it fact ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
Lastly, who told you the axe was easier on paint than any other gun? Back in my day when someone said something that stupid we would take him out back and hit him with sticks until he saw the error of his ways.
I have owned an Axe since August, have only broke paint when the paint was crap. Not the guns fault, but someone like you would cry this gun sucks because it won't shoot 2 year old white box. Gimme a break dude and you ain't big enough to hit me with anything tuff guy.
[NA]WARLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 PM #21
Box
Wroooaaarrrr!
 
Box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Annual Supporting Member
Box is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
There is a video somewhere of a dude putting his tongue in the breech of an axe and cycling it... dare you to do that with a shocker.
There is also a video of Tom Kaye doing that with an Automag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [NA]WARLORD View Post
If that was the case then everyone would be scooping up old shockers and shooting them in tourneys/scenarios etc, but just because you believe it that makes it fact ?
Shockers are common project guns these days, and there's quite a few people doing just that. People who have large sponsorships in tournaments don't shoot what they want to shoot, they shoot what a sponsor lets them shoot.

Many still value buying something new, and having some initial support for it as well, that's a rip against a shocker. Axe's are capable guns, just like Eteks.

The only thing I don't like about Axe's personally is I see people pop the board foregrip off all the time, which I'm sure is more user error than gun faults. I don't think i'd stright up toss away your etek for one, if you get a good deal on a trade I'd go for it. If you dont like the axe, then just trade that off.

Last edited by Box : 01-16-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump