Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 PM #1
rT159
BlackOps
 
rT159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shadows of Darkness
 has been a member for 10 years
Defense Spending

Everyone knows we spend a **** ton on defense and it's arguable as to how much is really necessary to 'secure our freedoms' and what have you. As a project I had to write a Research/Policy paper as I was presenting it to a client. Topic chosen was "Defense Contractor Fraud." There aren't many scholarly articles that have been published within the last couple years detailing the problems within the defense community so I stepped out and tried to put it together. Since I spent so much time on this ****, I figured I'd some others, even though I despise most of you, and get an idea or another perspective on the issue.


It's a little lengthy.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/133666464/...tracting-Fraud

By the way, this is my first attempt at something like this.
rT159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM #2
Captain A v2.0
2romo4u
 
Captain A v2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Captain A v2.0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
I'm definitely bookmarking this for later in the week. I'm about to finish an M.S. in security policy and I am definitely curious.
__________________
Kansas Jayhawks Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners Seattle SoundersZombie Sonics
Captain A v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM #3
sucka T.
 
 
sucka T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: GA
 has been a member for 10 years
If you are interested in fraud I have a couple of PDF's on pyramid schemes written by PhD's. Sort of related but not really.
__________________
1st Annual ST Friendship BBQ

ThreadSavers®

http://www.ohnoes.org/

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=891102

Last edited by sucka T. : 04-02-2013 at 04:34 PM.
sucka T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:15 PM #4
rT159
BlackOps
 
rT159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shadows of Darkness
 has been a member for 10 years
Possibly after we get through Enron and agency theory.
rT159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:19 PM #5
Cat Scratch Fever!
Wang Dang Sweet Poontang
 
Cat Scratch Fever!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Detroit
It's only arguable until you actually need it. Then it's never enough. If your son was over there would you want to see congress cut spending on defense?
Cat Scratch Fever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 PM #6
rT159
BlackOps
 
rT159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shadows of Darkness
 has been a member for 10 years
There's a difference in cutting spending on defense and holding contractors to a higher standard in terms of costs and responsibility and improving the structures overall. If you can limit waste you can easily cut defense spending and not sacrifice security and/or manufacturing capabilities to meet wartime demands. Now, I'm just speaking from experience here, the DoD could rearrange the military in way to fill the role in which contractors do. There is no reason to pay upwards of 5 times more to a contractor when the military carries out that same task on a daily basis.
rT159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:42 PM #7
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure
 
StellarKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Lost...In a Lost World
StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Scratch Fever! View Post
It's only arguable until you actually need it. Then it's never enough. If your son was over there would you want to see congress cut spending on defense?
This post is laughable, seeing the ridiculous hard-on you seem to have for that ****head Ted Nugent.
__________________
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
StellarKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 PM #8
Captain A v2.0
2romo4u
 
Captain A v2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Captain A v2.0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Scratch Fever! View Post
It's only arguable until you actually need it. Then it's never enough. If your son was over there would you want to see congress cut spending on defense?
Yes.
__________________
Kansas Jayhawks Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners Seattle SoundersZombie Sonics
Captain A v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 PM #9
Cat Scratch Fever!
Wang Dang Sweet Poontang
 
Cat Scratch Fever!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by rT159 View Post
There's a difference in cutting spending on defense and holding contractors to a higher standard in terms of costs and responsibility and improving the structures overall. If you can limit waste you can easily cut defense spending and not sacrifice security and/or manufacturing capabilities to meet wartime demands. Now, I'm just speaking from experience here, the DoD could rearrange the military in way to fill the role in which contractors do. There is no reason to pay upwards of 5 times more to a contractor when the military carries out that same task on a daily basis.
On the same token one could also say that if the DOD were to cut spending by five times to said contractor, that the savings could be reinvested in other areas of defense to keep us ahead of the curve and to retain our military superiority. It's easy to say we need to save money on the military, while you are behind a keyboard, in a warm and safe home or office. When I consider that safety, the investment doesn't seem so large or substantial. It all boils down to how much of a price do you put on your freedom.
Cat Scratch Fever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:28 PM #10
rT159
BlackOps
 
rT159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shadows of Darkness
 has been a member for 10 years
The price I put on my freedom? You mean the 6 years I've been in the Army or the 12 months I spent in Afghanistan getting blown up by roadside bombs? Maybe the countless friends I've lost? I suppose it is easy when I'm safe and sound behind my keyboard.
rT159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 PM #11
Cat Scratch Fever!
Wang Dang Sweet Poontang
 
Cat Scratch Fever!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by rT159 View Post
The price I put on my freedom? You mean the 6 years I've been in the Army or the 12 months I spent in Afghanistan getting blown up by roadside bombs? Maybe the countless friends I've lost? I suppose it is easy when I'm safe and sound behind my keyboard.
You should have filed your complaint when the Army made you enlist.

Cat Scratch Fever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 PM #12
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World
 
licence_to_kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: good ol' So Cal
licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Scratch Fever! View Post
On the same token one could also say that if the DOD were to cut spending by five times to said contractor, that the savings could be reinvested in other areas of defense to keep us ahead of the curve and to retain our military superiority. It's easy to say we need to save money on the military, while you are behind a keyboard, in a warm and safe home or office. When I consider that safety, the investment doesn't seem so large or substantial. It all boils down to how much of a price do you put on your freedom.
wow, i could make the same ****ing argument for people who oppose social safety net spending...
__________________
SAN DIEGO
CHARGERS

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:12 PM #13
Blake360
 
 
Blake360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Socal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Scratch Fever! View Post
It's only arguable until you actually need it. Then it's never enough. If your son was over there would you want to see congress cut spending on defense?
Offense ≠ defense
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:18 PM #14
Goshawk
Deep South Baller
 
Goshawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The SIP!
Annual Supporting Member
Goshawk owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Goshawk owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
The contract I work for is actually quite a bit cheaper than the military doing the same job. We do the same job with less people who have more experience.
Goshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:18 PM #15
Cat Scratch Fever!
Wang Dang Sweet Poontang
 
Cat Scratch Fever!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
Offense ≠ defense
I agree. We should have learned this lesson in Vietnam when we got our **** pushed in the first time we started trying to police the world. But hey, war can make you rich in some circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
The contract I work for is actually quite a bit cheaper than the military doing the same job. We do the same job with less people who have more experience.
We need more common sense planning and budgeting. Unfortunately our congress and president have proven to be capable of neither.
Cat Scratch Fever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:05 AM #16
EPAPressure
Jobs are for immigrants
 
EPAPressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Scratch Fever! View Post
I agree. We should have learned this lesson in Vietnam when we got our **** pushed in the first time we started trying to police the world. But hey, war can make you rich in some circles.



We need more common sense planning and budgeting. Unfortunately our congress and president have proven to be capable of neither.
militarily speaking, we kicked their *****.
__________________
"Chic-Fi-La has an awful chicken sandwich"

-Said nobody, ever.


"Originally posted by drgonzo: That doesn't make sense, the people with the most interaction and dependence on government have the most significant stakes and should have the vote if anyone. People who reject government and do not use government services should be denied the vote if anything." ^^FAIL

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: When I think geocities I think ****ty tiled background and sparkly titles. Think of a minority's myspace page."
EPAPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 AM #17
Captain A v2.0
2romo4u
 
Captain A v2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Captain A v2.0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPAPressure View Post
militarily speaking, we kicked their *****.
Fact still remains, we got our ***** kicked.
__________________
Kansas Jayhawks Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners Seattle SoundersZombie Sonics
Captain A v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:36 AM #18
Umami
AFK IRL
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain A v2.0 View Post
Fact still remains, we got our ***** kicked.
Not for lack of spending.
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 AM #19
scienceguy
 
 
scienceguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
It all depends on what they spend it on. It's our government's job to protect its citizens. I'm ok with them spending money on high cost R&D projects and equipping the military for the unknown threats.

What gets people are the blank checks written to the politically connected. Or invading a country so that you can give no-bid contracts to your company and in turn subcontract for a fraction of the cost.

If military spending wasn't an obvious pyramid scheme, and people didn't need to send care packages of toothbrushes socks and deodorant to the troops, then maybe there wouldn't be complaints.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 AM #20
EPAPressure
Jobs are for immigrants
 
EPAPressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain A v2.0 View Post
Fact still remains, we got our ***** kicked.
no.
__________________
"Chic-Fi-La has an awful chicken sandwich"

-Said nobody, ever.


"Originally posted by drgonzo: That doesn't make sense, the people with the most interaction and dependence on government have the most significant stakes and should have the vote if anyone. People who reject government and do not use government services should be denied the vote if anything." ^^FAIL

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: When I think geocities I think ****ty tiled background and sparkly titles. Think of a minority's myspace page."
EPAPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 AM #21
Space Pope
 
 
Space Pope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain A v2.0 View Post
Fact still remains, we got our ***** kicked.
lolno.
Space Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump