Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:16 PM #1996
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

Quote:
Originally Posted by akward silence View Post
Marko: 06 and older weren't notorious for the ringland failures.

Rampage: your logic is flawed, especially in your own argument. We know WRX's are great and tout their reliability all the time. However, 08+ has lost the reliability greatly, that cannot be denied. 06 and below was the best. That's just one forum thread of ringland failures. I believe iwsti and and couple others have their own threads with quite a few pages. The problem isn't people coming to the Internet for help, the problem is the motors are unreliable.
My logic is flawed? I've made it simple. You never hear from the people who never have issues. But the people who do, they post and ***** about it nonstop. Same with spun bearings. Think of how many noobs have registered on NASIOC just to ask what that tapping sound is...

06 and older were notorious for spun bearings. It was a natural issue with how heat gathered up in the #2 cylinder and, as we all know, heat is the enemy. The 207 has the same issue. It's part of the 2.0 design flaw. Forged internals help, but even forged builds blow decently often.

I'm not claiming the WRX is extremely reliable. I'm claiming it's as reliable as any other sports car.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 PM #1997
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

has been a member for 10 years
akward silence is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
akward silence is a top reviewer
06 and older were notorious for it? I've never heard that before.

How many times have you recommended a subaru to a friend of yours? Not only that, every post you've just made. We all talk about how great they are. Everyone knows subarus are great. They also have a bad rap for 08+ models.
OSTT GURU
Old 03-17-2013, 09:39 PM #1998
RBR321
I'll bring the pizzas.

RBR321 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
RBR321 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
RBR321 supports Team VICIOUS
RBR321 supports DLX Technology
Wow I feel like Awk and Ramp and high school girls arguing over twitter all the time
"Originally posted by XSVterror16 V.4: Alright, let me break this down for you. Subaru is a company with stars and a blue background in it's symbol. The national color of Australia is blue and their nights have lots of stars in the sky. Subaru uses bockster motors from Porches. Subaru is Australian and uses Porche motors in their cars. Understand?"
'MURICA
Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 PM #1999
visualx
Raise Your Weapon

this isn't where i parked my car
Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 PM #2000
Rampager2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by akward silence View Post
06 and older were notorious for it? I've never heard that before.

How many times have you recommended a subaru to a friend of yours? Not only that, every post you've just made. We all talk about how great they are. Everyone knows subarus are great. They also have a bad rap for 08+ models.
I recommend them all them all the time, and make sure the down sides are noted.

Note, I did NOT recommend them over other cars.

There's no way you've never heard of the issue spun bearings are in the 2.0. Much, much more common than the ringland issue.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:59 PM #2001
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

akward silence is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
akward silence is a top reviewer
No, I haven't heard of that, but I was more referring to the 04-06 2.5L

The 2.slow sucked.
OSTT GURU
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 PM #2002
Marko34256

Marko34256 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Marko34256 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post
My logic is flawed? I've made it simple. You never hear from the people who never have issues. But the people who do, they post and ***** about it nonstop. Same with spun bearings. Think of how many noobs have registered on NASIOC just to ask what that tapping sound is...

06 and older were notorious for spun bearings. It was a natural issue with how heat gathered up in the #2 cylinder and, as we all know, heat is the enemy. The 207 has the same issue. It's part of the 2.0 design flaw. Forged internals help, but even forged builds blow decently often.

I'm not claiming the WRX is extremely reliable. I'm claiming it's as reliable as any other sports car.
Spun bearings are more of an issue when people can't tune their cars properly or neglect maintenance. It's not common for stock motors with proper maintenance.

And I wouldn't put the 207 in the same boat as the 205. The 205 is garbage after running and working with my 207 for the past year. It's like Subaru went out of their way to make the 205 bad when they've had a perfectly good 2 liter for several years.

Last edited by Marko34256 : 03-17-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:40 AM #2003
Rampager2000

The only two things the 207 has over the 205 is:

1. Semi-closed block (which is also a downside)
2. Forged internals

Let's understand, these are the ONLY differences. Everything else is the same. For this reason, a spun bearing is less common in them. But you throw forged bearings in your 205 and, WA-LA, you have a ****ing 207 (well, almost).

The semi-closed block is good for making power so the walls don't bend, but at a sacrifice of breathability. Open walls = more breathing room. Simple science, and it's well proven. If you're only making 400whp, you're better off with a 205 with good internals over a 207. Same thing with the 255. Not uncommon for people to throw 255 engines to 500-600 to the wheels because the walls can handle it and the block can breathe better.

Spun bearings happen on entirely stock cars all the time. The car we JUST bought has 60k miles, 100% entirely stock, a spun bearing. We almost bought a bugeye with 75k miles, all stock, spun bearing. Just go look at the number of Ej20 (including 207) short blocks for sale with, you named it, spun bearings.

Hell, I'll bet there are 3 or 4 Scoobs in the first few pages on NASIOC right now for sale with spun bearings. It's extremely common. And it's great for those of us who know how to fix it.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:10 AM #2004
SYSTEM
Notomated

SYSTEM is a Mega Moderator
SYSTEM is a Supporting Member
SYSTEM donated to help Peyton Trent
SYSTEM supports Bob Gurnsey
Thread has over 2000 posts. Continue here: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3952077
This SYSTEM user account is not controlled by a person. It's primary function is to automatically split large threads. System also masks the identity of staff members who give infractions. If you have a question, or if SYSTEM becomes self-aware, please post it in the Talk to Mods/Admins section.
Closed Thread