Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 03:11 PM #43
PntbalPhreek

PntbalPhreek is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
Story time!!!!
Nothing crazy crashes or anything I was driving home in with 3in of snow on the ground on an unplowed highway at 4 AM while snow was coming down bad. My car was sliding around and stuff, I saw a few accidents and the 1 hour drive took 2 hrs. I've been driving all winter with summer tires not a good idea.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 PM #44
visualx
Raise Your Weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by akward silence View Post
Have you owned an STI? I can't remember (serious question).

After owning WRXs and STIs, I refuse to spend money on a WRX ever again. The STI is a MUCH better car, but the cost difference is there. Like I said, STI over WRX 8 days a week.

A simple tune on a WRX still wont get you near the feel and performance a bone stock STI will. I used to have that mindset, then I bought an STI.
even the new gens? mechanically, didn't think they were very different from the sti--just intercooler, suspension, brakes, etc.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM #45
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

akward silence is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
akward silence is a top reviewer
akward silence is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualx View Post
even the new gens? mechanically, didn't think they were very different from the sti--just intercooler, suspension, brakes, etc.
Yes, even the new gens.

Brakes and transmission are $6k+ alone aftermarket, well worth it IMO. That's not even getting into the turbo, fuel system, intercooler, etc.

The STI is an all around better car. I could have gotten a much newer WRX, but what's the point? It's still a downgrade.
OSTT GURU
Old 01-17-2013, 03:49 PM #46
TheColorCute
I made this for you!

Annual Supporting Member
TheColorCute is a Moderator
TheColorCute is a Paintball photographer
TheColorCute owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TheColorCute supports Team VICIOUS
TheColorCute supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2456655

Luke, just promise me you can make enough power to beat this car. Ok? Ok.
Super nice car. Dunno if I like the color, but nice either way. My turbo is slightly bigger than his in some ways, and slightly smaller in others. He has the same turbo Adrian has on is car (pretty much the bugeye equivalent of my car ). The 6466 outdid and made more power than the 6766 (updated version of the 6765) is some applications

It being an Evo it's going to make a bit more power than its Subie equivalent. Although, he never specifies what "full boost is". Adrian made 830 @36psi, so I'm going to guess that the Evo is around 42psi or so, given the size of that particular turbo.

Wonder if he ever took it to the track. Should be a high 8-second car at those power levels, depending on the gearing and weight. Definitely low 9's

Jr and I have talked about trying for 900whp on my car. He reckons that I might need a slightly larger turbo for 900, but we're going to see how much we can get out of the 6466 until we go bigger

I like Evos, but one of the things I don't like is how all of the engine bays looks almost exactly the same, regardless of whether you're making 300whp or 900whp, they all look the same. If a Subaru is heavily modified, its engine bay will usually scream it in your face once you pop the hood
Originally posted by x420psykoticx: ""business casual" to me means a gold mini skirt and a see through haltertop"
Regal Ego11
Gloss Blood Red Dye NT
Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 PM #47
visualx
Raise Your Weapon

Quote:
Yes, even the new gens.

Brakes and transmission are $6k+ alone aftermarket, well worth it IMO. That's not even getting into the turbo, fuel system, intercooler, etc.

The STI is an all around better car. I could have gotten a much newer WRX, but what's the point? It's still a downgrade.
oh ya, duh on the tranny, and even the SI system, but who uses that ****? however, i think the overall AWD system is a little better?

but i thought with the new wrx, pretty much everything engine-wise was the same, outside of the intercooler/tune (and maybe exhaust/dp?)

and i have a '11 wrx, so i know
Old 01-17-2013, 04:24 PM #48
TheColorCute
I made this for you!

Annual Supporting Member
TheColorCute is a Moderator
TheColorCute is a Paintball photographer
TheColorCute owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TheColorCute supports Team VICIOUS
TheColorCute supports Sherwood Forest
Hmmmmm

Originally posted by x420psykoticx: ""business casual" to me means a gold mini skirt and a see through haltertop"
Regal Ego11
Gloss Blood Red Dye NT
Old 01-17-2013, 04:25 PM #49
visualx
Raise Your Weapon

i jizzed in my pants

good thing i'm going home
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM #50
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

akward silence is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualx View Post
oh ya, duh on the tranny, and even the SI system, but who uses that ****? however, i think the overall AWD system is a little better?

but i thought with the new wrx, pretty much everything engine-wise was the same, outside of the intercooler/tune (and maybe exhaust/dp?)

and i have a '11 wrx, so i know
The sti is tuned more for sport than the WRX.

You forget the turbo setup is much better on the STI. The whole FI system is better on the STI (headers, up pipe, turbo, exhaust, intercooler, etc).
OSTT GURU
Old 01-17-2013, 05:14 PM #51
visualx
Raise Your Weapon

I didn't forget. I just didn't know because I thought that wasn't the case for 08+. I should learn more about my wrx
Old 01-17-2013, 05:41 PM #52
RBR321(1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2456655

Luke, just promise me you can make enough power to beat this car. Ok? Ok.
I really wanna know how much money goes into building a car like this, especially when they go so far as to make the outside showcar quality too. Unless Cute wants to chime in on how his wallet currently feels?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM #53
Evil_Paintball_freek
#No****sGiven

Annual Supporting Member
Evil_Paintball_freek is a Supporting Member
Evil_Paintball_freek is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Evil_Paintball_freek is attending Decay of Nations VII
Unless you have sponsors it can get pretty insane. I would say minimum probably his asking price, or close to.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:43 PM #54
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

Quote:
The sti is tuned more for sport than the WRX.

You forget the turbo setup is much better on the STI. The whole FI system is better on the STI (headers, up pipe, turbo, exhaust, intercooler, etc).
To answer your question from earlier, I've never owned an STi. But I have driven all 4:

02-07 WRX
04-07 STi
08+ WRX
08+ STi

Of course, the STi is the better car. But the new gen WRXs are incredible cars and have minimized the difference in cars. I mean, the 6 speed, suspension, diff setups and all that jazz are better. But with pure power, with a tune, you're making almost the same as an STi. With some aftermarket pads your stopping distance is the same, if not better. The 0-60 is actually faster than a stock STi in the WRX, and the insurance is cheaper.

I love the STi and want one so so so bad. But if I had the choice between a brand spankin new WRX and a used, 06 STi, I'd definitely go WRX. That's all I'm saying man. But, year for year, no matter the year, of course I'd rather go STi.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 PM #55
visualx
Raise Your Weapon

You'd just get the wrx because sta told you to. That's what happened to me
Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 PM #56
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

akward silence is Boss
My insurance is actually the same.

I disagree though. He's comparing a new WRX and an 06 STI. Buy either one, flash an OTS map, and the STI is going to be much better.

You are comparing a WRX with mods to a stock car that costs the same. Why not get the better car and add mods to it? It's simple.

Also, driving and owning is a huge difference. I didn't know the difference until I bought my first STI.
OSTT GURU
Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 PM #57
Matt H

Annual Supporting Member
Matt H is a Supporting Member
Matt H is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Matt H is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR321(1) View Post
I really wanna know how much money goes into building a car like this, especially when they go so far as to make the outside showcar quality too. Unless Cute wants to chime in on how his wallet currently feels?
I'd say 100k+.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 PM #58
visualx
Raise Your Weapon

I think Riley's argument boils down to fresh car with guaranteed no beating, warranty, etc. That would matter to me too, especially with an sti. Most are ragged to all hell
Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 PM #59
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

akward silence is Boss
That's where having time to choose comes in handy. I got one that was perfect. Late 40s owner that purchased it new, mods installed by professionals hut nothing crazy, high quality mods (Perrin inlet, Cobb catted tbe, Cobb turbo shield, stoptech braided steel lines, stoptech rotors and pads, new tires, etc), no accidents, no damage, receipts and logs for all maintenance and work, etc. I got retardedly lucky, but I know it's not common to find one like that.
OSTT GURU
Old 01-17-2013, 06:10 PM #60
Evil_Paintball_freek
#No****sGiven

Annual Supporting Member
Evil_Paintball_freek is a Supporting Member
Evil_Paintball_freek is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Evil_Paintball_freek is attending Decay of Nations VII
Same boat, except for my first one, and 37 instead of 40. I believe I paid more than you though.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 PM #61
Rampager2000

Quote:
My insurance is actually the same.

I disagree though. He's comparing a new WRX and an 06 STI. Buy either one, flash an OTS map, and the STI is going to be much better.

You are comparing a WRX with mods to a stock car that costs the same. Why not get the better car and add mods to it? It's simple.

Also, driving and owning is a huge difference. I didn't know the difference until I bought my first STI.
Well depends on the insurance company. A lot of them have the WRX cheaper.

As per the mods, no. The stock WRX, new gen, is faster than the stock STi 0-60. Not 0-100, not definitively, but 0-60 they're faster. Both of them Stage 1 and that changes. The STi with a real tune on it becomes a real beast.

Don't mistake me for giving the WRX more than it deserves. I like both for what they are. Just, brand new is a big deal.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 PM #62
RBR321(1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt H View Post
I'd say 100k+.
You see at this point I don't care how much of a STI/EVO or w.e type of guy I am, my money is going towards a 997 Carrera 4S at the very least. No headache of building the car, I know it's something that will be reliable and last for way longer than any 900hp car, I can DD it, and 400hp is more than enough to regularly put a smile on my face. Then again I grew up with my dad's Porsche's and became a fanboy so that may make me a tad bit biased. The only downside I see is to buying and not building is not have the satisfaction of building something with my own two hands which when it comes to a 900hp car, isn't something many of us would be building ourselves anyway.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:20 PM #63
Rampager2000

Building yourself feels good. Until you over lube your buckets and one of them makes a loud *** tapping sound and you're constantly fixing the mistakes you caused when building it.

But it does feel good when it runs.

Closed Thread