Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 AM #22
raehl
NCPA President
 
raehl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Chippewa Falls, WI
Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chex5 View Post
Mr. raehls responses are the result of a ongoing childish pissing match that has been going on between him (APPA) and the NPPL for years, neither sides have handled it like adults who wear their big boy pants, it's pretty pathetic.
I have given my adult life to tournament paintball. I started the 2nd largest league in North America, and I've run it for 14 years on a volunteer basis. I've put paintball on television 9 years in a row. I've brought in out-of-industry sponsors like XBox, Doritos, and Jack-in-the-box. I created the registration system used by virtually all of the major leagues in the US, back in 2003, in my spare time. I left a nice, secure, well-paid career in the computer engineering sector to do paintball full time for the same reason so many of my (and PSP's) customers sacrifice so much of their lives to play - because I love the sport. Everything I do is because, in 1993, somebody gave me a rental gun and I fell in love.

My beef with a certain national league is not personal. I have no need for a personal beef, because my livelihood is not threatened by what does, or does not, happen in paintball.

My "beef", if there is one, is with the treatment the people who make the mistake of paying that league an entry fee receive. For an example, read this:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3921340

It literally pains me to see people who have invested so much into our game treated that way.

Some of us are serious event promoters. And I don't mean promoters as in we tell you we'll have great bands, or fresh fruit, or you're going to play in the best parking lot next to the biggest name (empty) venue ever, or there's going to be some chicks in bikinis Saturday night to help ease the pain of not playing Sunday because of two days worth of questionable decisions.

I mean promoters as in you're going to walk on to a level, grass playing surface and face the best competition you choose to compete against with the best officials available in our sport and you will know, based on how well you play that day, if you were the best team to step on to that field.

Not everyone involved in paintball is good for paintball just because they are involved in paintball. Sometimes someone who has the advantage of some extra experience and extra perspective has to stand up and share so that we can move forward.

And sometimes I can be that guy. It's almost certainly bad for my business, but as I already said, I'm not here for business. I'm here for us to be better. I hope that by telling it like it is I can arm people with the information we need to be the best we can be.



I'm Chris Raehl, and I approve this message.




.

Last edited by raehl : 01-17-2013 at 06:14 AM.
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 AM #23
swanton23
ASCENSION
 
swanton23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ohio
swanton23 is BST Trusted
swanton23 plays in the PSP
swanton23 plays in the APPA D4 division
swanton23 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
I have given my adult life to tournament paintball. I started the 2nd largest league in North America, and I've run it for 14 years on a volunteer basis. I've put paintball on television 9 years in a row. I've brought in out-of-industry sponsors like XBox, Doritos, and Jack-in-the-box. I created the registration system used by virtually all of the major leagues in the US, back in 2003, in my spare time. I left a nice, secure, well-paid career in the computer engineering sector to do paintball full time for the same reason so many of my (and PSP's) customers sacrifice so much of their lives to play - because I love the sport. Everything I do is because, in 1993, somebody gave me a rental gun and I fell in love.

My beef with a certain national league is not personal. I have no need for a personal beef, because my livelihood is not threatened by what does, or does not, happen in paintball.

My "beef", if there is one, is with the treatment the people who make the mistake of paying that league an entry fee receive. For an example, read this:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3921340

It literally pains me to see people who have invested so much into our game treated that way.

Some of us are serious event promoters. And I don't mean promoters as in we tell you we'll have great bands, or fresh fruit, or you're going to play in the best parking lot next to the biggest name (empty) venue ever, or there's going to be some chicks in bikinis Saturday night to help ease the pain of not playing Sunday because of two days worth of questionable decisions.

I mean promoters as in you're going to walk on to a level, grass playing surface and face the best competition you choose to compete against with the best officials available in our sport and you will know, based on how well you play that day, if you were the best team to step on to that field.

Not everyone involved in paintball is good for paintball just because they are involved in paintball. Sometimes someone who has the advantage of some extra experience and extra perspective has to stand up and share so that we can move forward.

And sometimes I can be that guy. It's almost certainly bad for my business, but as I already said, I'm not here for business. I'm here for us to be better. I hope that by telling it like it is I can arm people with the information we need to be the best we can be.



I'm Chris Raehl, and I approve this message.




.
Is it just you and Joe who do this? 2ppl 5000+players must be nuts
__________________
PROUDLY SPONSORED BY WWW.TRADEMYGUN.COM

ASCENSION
swanton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 AM #24
pacasowithagun
SMASH! Now clean it up!!
 
pacasowithagun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 410/Kiladelphia
pacasowithagun owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pacasowithagun is an NCPA National Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane Wright View Post
Dr Vickers -- Raehl irritates me, too. And for the record, this is not his made up web persona you see here. He is authentic.
But Chris Raehl is a dedicated, motivated, hard working, intelligent, trustworthy, loyal paintball figure. He works tirelessly to promote paintball and is passionate about it's success. He just isn't a great public relations guy. And coming from me, with my track record, that's saying something. We've learned to take the bad with the good. And there is a lot more good than bad with Raehl. He just displays his bad side publicly.

Pasco - You may have made that up. Or you may have read it here posted by one of the all knowing PbNation posters. You know they can't put it on the Internet if it isn't true, right? I've been made aware of several "multi-year" contracts we supposedly had with venues right here on PbNation.

For the record - PSP has no multi year deals with any venue. Period.
Then I stand corrected. Nonetheless, OXCC is an awesome place for events and Id be willing to bet they would only get better with each one.
pacasowithagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 AM #25
NuNuNewsome
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
NuNuNewsome owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NuNuNewsome owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
NuNuNewsome plays in the APPA D4 division
NuNuNewsome supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane Wright View Post
Dr Vickers -- Raehl irritates me, too. And for the record, this is not his made up web persona you see here. He is authentic.
But Chris Raehl is a dedicated, motivated, hard working, intelligent, trustworthy, loyal paintball figure. He works tirelessly to promote paintball and is passionate about it's success. He just isn't a great public relations guy. And coming from me, with my track record, that's saying something. We've learned to take the bad with the good. And there is a lot more good than bad with Raehl. He just displays his bad side publicly.

Glad you gave us some insight on Chris because over the years I have grown to despise him. I view him a little different now and give him the benefit of the doubt since he truly does care about the sport
NuNuNewsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:04 AM #26
**GP**
G.I. Sportz
 
**GP**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DALLAS
**GP** works for a Paintball manufacturer
**GP** plays in the PSP
**GP** owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
**GP** is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
**GP** is Boss
Lane thank you for putting a smile on my face lol


I also have had my moments with Chris but like Lane said in the end Chris is 100% about growing paintball and works coutless hours to provide a service with the APPA. I do not always agree with Chris but he is a great person to have fighting to grow paintball.

Again Lane thanks for some good reading this moring haha
__________________
ac: DALLAS
Join the Imperial Program G.I. Sportz! PM me for details
ECLIPSE, EXALT V-Force

G.I. Sportz sweeps the 2013 PRO divisions at World Cup. X-Factor, Impact and Heat 1st 2nd and 3rd!!
G.I. Sportz the
"Unfair Advantage"



G.I. Sportz Imperial paintballs the "UNFAIR ADVANTAGE"
**GP** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 PM #27
Stepchild
You wanna know why......?
 
Stepchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: mile high
Stepchild is a Moderator
Stepchild is a Supporting Member
Stepchild is a founding member
Stepchild plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane Wright View Post
Dr Vickers -- Raehl irritates me, too. And for the record, this is not his made up web persona you see here. He is authentic.
But Chris Raehl is a dedicated, motivated, hard working, intelligent, trustworthy, loyal paintball figure. He works tirelessly to promote paintball and is passionate about it's success. He just isn't a great public relations guy. And coming from me, with my track record, that's saying something. We've learned to take the bad with the good. And there is a lot more good than bad with Raehl. He just displays his bad side publicly.
Thanks Lane, I have never doubted the dedication of Chris and what he does. Thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
I have given my adult life to tournament paintball. I started the 2nd largest league in North America, and I've run it for 14 years on a volunteer basis. I've put paintball on television 9 years in a row. I've brought in out-of-industry sponsors like XBox, Doritos, and Jack-in-the-box. I created the registration system used by virtually all of the major leagues in the US, back in 2003, in my spare time. I left a nice, secure, well-paid career in the computer engineering sector to do paintball full time for the same reason so many of my (and PSP's) customers sacrifice so much of their lives to play - because I love the sport. Everything I do is because, in 1993, somebody gave me a rental gun and I fell in love.

My beef with a certain national league is not personal. I have no need for a personal beef, because my livelihood is not threatened by what does, or does not, happen in paintball.

My "beef", if there is one, is with the treatment the people who make the mistake of paying that league an entry fee receive. For an example, read this:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3921340

It literally pains me to see people who have invested so much into our game treated that way.

Some of us are serious event promoters. And I don't mean promoters as in we tell you we'll have great bands, or fresh fruit, or you're going to play in the best parking lot next to the biggest name (empty) venue ever, or there's going to be some chicks in bikinis Saturday night to help ease the pain of not playing Sunday because of two days worth of questionable decisions.

I mean promoters as in you're going to walk on to a level, grass playing surface and face the best competition you choose to compete against with the best officials available in our sport and you will know, based on how well you play that day, if you were the best team to step on to that field.

Not everyone involved in paintball is good for paintball just because they are involved in paintball. Sometimes someone who has the advantage of some extra experience and extra perspective has to stand up and share so that we can move forward.

And sometimes I can be that guy. It's almost certainly bad for my business, but as I already said, I'm not here for business. I'm here for us to be better. I hope that by telling it like it is I can arm people with the information we need to be the best we can be.



I'm Chris Raehl, and I approve this message.
.
Chris, thank you for your response as well. Like I said earlier, I do not question your dedication or question what you have given to paintball. I am not opposed to people who are upfront, speak their mind and do so even to a fault. I am, in many ways the same way. What you just posted in my mind was much more well thought out, more direct and did not hide how you feel. And you did it in a much more respectful way and I'm sure it will be well received. At least it was much more well received by myself than your earlier post. Much like you I have given much of my adult life to this game between playing, coaching and owning/running small companies in the industry.
__________________
Dr. Jonathan Vickers
COLORADO BLITZ
Dirt 'til the day I die
Dirt Products
www.blitzpaintball.net www.planeteclipse.com www.hustlepaintball.com

RIP Rusty Fox. You were my brother and my friend. You will never be forgotten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZs_Nj65M8
Stepchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 PM #28
swanton23
ASCENSION
 
swanton23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ohio
swanton23 is BST Trusted
swanton23 plays in the PSP
swanton23 plays in the APPA D4 division
swanton23 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
If the sport is all about growing. Why is there restrictions on paint? Wouldn't it good to draw more teams with more paint options? The prizes are fine. I read on social paintball that valken has to choose between giving paint to nppl or dropping nppl to be with psp.
__________________
PROUDLY SPONSORED BY WWW.TRADEMYGUN.COM

ASCENSION
swanton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 PM #29
eforce
Factory PB
 
eforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago
Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanton23 View Post
If the sport is all about growing. Why is there restrictions on paint? Wouldn't it good to draw more teams with more paint options? The prizes are fine. I read on social paintball that valken has to choose between giving paint to nppl or dropping nppl to be with psp.
Paint manufacturers need to know they're going to make money if they're required to write five figure checks to the league for distribution rights. The checks are essential to funding the league and keeping entry prices down for the players.
__________________
- eforce

Last edited by eforce : 01-18-2013 at 08:48 AM.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 PM #30
Darthdoug
CRU Paintball Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Clarkston, MI
Annual Supporting Member
Darthdoug plays in the PSP
Darthdoug donated to help Peyton Trent
Darthdoug owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Darthdoug supports our troops
Darthdoug plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
Paint manufacturers need to know they're going to make money if they're required to write six figure checks to the league for distribution rights. The checks are essential to funding the league and keeping entry prices down for the players.
Let alone the costs to roll specially prepared paint cross country in climate controlled trucks that have to run 24 hours a day while they're onsite fairly often.

There are usually reasons for decisions to limit sponsors, tents, paint dealers, etc. Not always... but usually.
__________________
Doug
My team is Flint City CRU
I play for CRU Paintball
Darthdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM #31
chrom3penguin (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: on the road.
chrom3penguin owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
chrom3penguin supports Team VICIOUS
chrom3penguin supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacasowithagun View Post
Didn't PSP sign like a 5-year contract with OXCC for hosting the 4th event? Or am I just dreaming **** up?
i hope so
chrom3penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM #32
koolguysk8r14
 
 
koolguysk8r14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
 has been a member for 10 years
koolguysk8r14 plays in the PSP
koolguysk8r14 is an NCPA player
koolguysk8r14 plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanton23 View Post
If the sport is all about growing. Why is there restrictions on paint? Wouldn't it good to draw more teams with more paint options? The prizes are fine. I read on social paintball that valken has to choose between giving paint to nppl or dropping nppl to be with psp.
unlimited options only hurts the paint vendors. If anything, psp is nice enough to allow options for paint. I think it should, and will eventually go to one paint vendor, with standardized paint. I still think its silly that certain people get priority over certain batches, certain skids of paint, etc. obviously there are variations between formulas for different weather, but i think there are favorites played based on connections and/or sponsorship. One paint company. Let the companies bid for the opportunity to supply paint, and pen a contract that is best beneficial to the paint company, the psp, and the players. my .02
koolguysk8r14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 PM #33
Chase12
Chase "Space" Fowler
 
Chase12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Williston, FL
Didn't Dye, KEE, and GI completely forego attending any NPPL events last year?

I doubt they'll care much if the NPPL and PSP have an event on the same weekend. The teams they sponsor would but they will go where the sponsors tell them.
__________________
Tampa Bay Damage Fan Club #16
Chase12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 AM #34
eforce
Factory PB
 
eforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago
Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase12 View Post
Didn't Dye, KEE, and GI completely forego attending any NPPL events last year?

I doubt they'll care much if the NPPL and PSP have an event on the same weekend. The teams they sponsor would but they will go where the sponsors tell them.
To my knowledge, Bob Long is the only marker company that focuses on NPPL. The rest of their league sponsors are accessory manufacturers and non-paintball companies.
__________________
- eforce
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 AM #35
paintballa12788
 
 
paintballa12788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
paintballa12788 plays in the PSP
paintballa12788 plays in the APPA Pro division
paintballa12788 supports Empire
paintballa12788 is All In
paintballa12788 is All In
Chris simply has stated the obvious truth in this thread. Thumbs up sir, tell it how it is.
__________________
T1
Empire Paintball
TOPGUN PAINTBALL
paintballa12788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM #36
Chase12
Chase "Space" Fowler
 
Chase12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Williston, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
To my knowledge, Bob Long is the only marker company that focuses on NPPL. The rest of their league sponsors are accessory manufacturers and non-paintball companies.
Which would further help debunk the "Sponsors will be pissed if they have to go to two places in the same weekend" argument as they share very few sponsors.

The big thing to look at would be where the Pro teams go as opposed to the sponsors.
__________________
Tampa Bay Damage Fan Club #16
Chase12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:11 PM #37
Scottyboy101
 
 
Scottyboy101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrom3penguin View Post
i hope so
The answer is no. PSP doesn't have any contracts with any fields for 5 years like people were saying for Galveston and OXCC.

Edit: First page of this thread Lane talks about it

Last edited by Scottyboy101 : 01-19-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Scottyboy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump