PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 AM #631
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

has been a member for 10 years
PSU is still a really, really good school. i don't agree with what happened they but if i got good money to go there i would consider it. hell, i was about to start grad school there a few months ago ffs.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:24 AM #632
giants57

It's so expensive, really it just came down to me wanting to try new things. I got offered a decent sized academic scholarship to WVU that actually made it cheaper than Penn State. I could of gone to main campus, but tons of people in my family went there and I've been around it for years. So I basically just said "well, I guess I'll be different and go to WVU." I knew that undergrad wouldn't really amount to ****, because I'm a fairly intelligent person who plans on going to law schools anyways and achieve on my own merits. Anyone who says that an undergrad degree from anywhere other than an Ivy or Patriot league school amounts to **** over another undergrad degree in most cases is an idiot.
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

"Originally posted by Ly$ol: Sometimes I feel bad when I lead a ***** on, but hey it's a numbers game."
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 AM #633
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
I don't think I could ever do it. The fact that all their students were out there protesting in front of Joe Pas house in the face of so much damning evidence disgusts me. There are a lot of schools at least as good as PSU.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 AM #634
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by giants57 View Post
It's so expensive, really it just came down to me wanting to try new things. I got offered a decent sized academic scholarship to WVU that actually made it cheaper than Penn State. I could of gone to main campus, but tons of people in my family went there and I've been around it for years. So I basically just said "well, I guess I'll be different and go to WVU." I knew that undergrad wouldn't really amount to ****, because I'm a fairly intelligent person who plans on going to law schools anyways and achieve on my own merits. Anyone who says that an undergrad degree from anywhere other than an Ivy or Patriot league school amounts to **** over another undergrad degree in most cases is an idiot.
Patriot League? Isn't that like Holy Cross and stuff. I think they waitlisted me. I don't think they are even in the same breath as legit Ivy schools, IMO.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 AM #635
giants57

See, that's part of why I didn't go as well. I'll admit I made some errors when applying to schools, I applied to a lot of very expensive private schools that even when I got accepted and given "scholarships" still cost around 45,000 a year. It's nice to tell people you applied to these places and got accepted, but when the pen meets the paper it's not so worth it. Anyone can make jokes about WVU, but I'm getting just as good of an education as any of my friends are. We have plenty of top 100 programs and I'm being given great networking opportunities. In this day and age it's all about achieving on your own, gone are the days where you can rest on your laurels. I'm taking part in things that not many college freshmen are, because I'm taking the initiative to get involved because I want to succeed in life. So often there is the "well, I'm at a "good" school so just getting my degree should be enough to get a good job." which feeds into the generation I complex. I can't stand it and I do my best to avoid the mold.
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

"Originally posted by Ly$ol: Sometimes I feel bad when I lead a ***** on, but hey it's a numbers game."
Old 01-18-2013, 11:29 AM #636
giants57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post
Patriot League? Isn't that like Holy Cross and stuff. I think they waitlisted me. I don't think they are even in the same breath as legit Ivy schools, IMO.
Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Fordham, Colgate, and in some sports Georgetown. Not the same, but still an impressive list.
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 AM #637
Paintnoob13
**** Ohio

Paintnoob13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
**** Holy Cross. They deferred me after I applied early then only gave me like a 12k scholarship when I got in for general admission. I didnt even wanna go there anyways but thats the only school I didnt get into right away.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 AM #638
Lou Dogg
Prepare to die

Lou Dogg owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
See, that's part of why I didn't go as well. I'll admit I made some errors when applying to schools, I applied to a lot of very expensive private schools that even when I got accepted and given "scholarships" still cost around 45,000 a year. It's nice to tell people you applied to these places and got accepted, but when the pen meets the paper it's not so worth it. Anyone can make jokes about WVU, but I'm getting just as good of an education as any of my friends are. We have plenty of top 100 programs and I'm being given great networking opportunities. In this day and age it's all about achieving on your own, gone are the days where you can rest on your laurels. I'm taking part in things that not many college freshmen are, because I'm taking the initiative to get involved because I want to succeed in life. So often there is the "well, I'm at a "good" school so just getting my degree should be enough to get a good job." which feeds into the generation I complex. I can't stand it and I do my best to avoid the mold.
To some, simply a top 100 program isn't good enough. I didn't lose go to an Ivyleague but iI went to a top 5-10 school. Number 1 when I first started.

Edit wtf auto correct, why do you suck so badly?

Big_Dangerous: "Has anyone here ever let a chick **** them with a strapon?"

Last edited by Lou Dogg : 01-18-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 AM #639
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Quote:
I listened to my mom too much when applying to schools. She is still an idiot about colleges. Applied to too many schools in my area, which is fine, there are a lot of good schools there, but a lot of them are liberal arts. Aint nobody got time fo that. Wanted to do business and did end up going to a business school, but I wish I applied to some larger universities outside the local area.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)

Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 AM #640
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

Quote:
patriot league is on the same footing as the A10, imo. in fact, as far as catholic schools go, A10 kind of dominates in terms of prestige after ND (granted i think HC is the only catholic school in there).
Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 AM #641
giants57

The #1 school argument is fair enough, but like I said I view how the corporate world works in a different way now. As some of you know I plan on working as a compliance officer/attorney for the NCAA or a university athletic department. I feel like getting the experience and networking of a division 1 Big 12 school (As bad as we may be doing in revenue sports this year). In one semester I've already done things and met people there is no way in hell I would of done and met anywhere else I considered other than maybe Penn State in four years, and in this semester I'm doing even more. As the years go on and I work my way up the totem pole more chances will appear. Traveling to schools such as Oklahoma, Texas, traveling to Atlanta when we play Bama in the Georgia Dome in a few years, and meeting all these big time people carries a lot more weight in my field of choice than if I would of gone to maybe a Lafayette or for that matter even a St.John's.
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Last edited by giants57 : 01-18-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 AM #642
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

I don't think it matters what "league" you are in if its not Ivy. If MIT is associated with the Patriot league, they are still worlds better than every other school in that league. Just because they are in the same athletic conference doesn't mean they are equivalent academically.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)

Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 AM #643
BenderBR
1%ing on you *****es

As long as your undergrad program ranking is high, you are good to go.

"Originally posted by Kellster: Crow takes so good. Om nom nom."

Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

Texas über alles.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 AM #644
Lou Dogg
Prepare to die

Yeah the schools rank matters when it comes to companies recruiting out of school. If you get good grades, and do well on the LSAT (that's the law school one, right?) then you should do fine. I'd recommend going to a top law school though, because that does seem to matter.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 AM #645
Paintnoob13
**** Ohio

Paintnoob13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Or just get a certification where it doesnt matter what school you went to. A CPA is a CPA regardless of where you went to undergrad
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 AM #646
BenderBR
1%ing on you *****es

Lou, you see that scotch article I posted?

Texas über alles.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 AM #647
giants57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderBR View Post
As long as your undergrad program ranking is high, you are good to go.
My undergrad program is top 20 nationally.
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 AM #648
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

Quote:
I don't think it matters what "league" you are in if its not Ivy. If MIT is associated with the Patriot league, they are still worlds better than every other school in that league. Just because they are in the same athletic conference doesn't mean they are equivalent academically.
so is fordham and they are in the A10 and Gtown and they are in the Big East (i think its just for football like what temple does with the big east)
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 AM #649
Lou Dogg
Prepare to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderBR View Post
Lou, you see that scotch article I posted?
Nope. I'll go back and take a look

Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM #650
giants57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Dogg View Post
Yeah the schools rank matters when it comes to companies recruiting out of school. If you get good grades, and do well on the LSAT (that's the law school one, right?) then you should do fine. I'd recommend going to a top law school though, because that does seem to matter.
Yeah, see this is exactly what I'm saying. I laugh at people who are too ignorant to realize this.
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Old 01-18-2013, 11:47 AM #651
BenderBR
1%ing on you *****es

Quote:
Yeah, see this is exactly what I'm saying. I laugh at people who are too ignorant to realize this.
Mostly because I think we've all heard this plan 1,000 times from people we knew who went to lesser schools and they ended up not going to law school or coming close.

Texas über alles.
Closed Thread