Community Focus

Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM #22
Frizzle Fry
AO Micromag Guy

Frizzle Fry is playing at Living Legends III
Frizzle Fry owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
I don't know which rock you've been living under, but KEE has been pushing .50 cal HARD along with GI Sportz releasing .50 4 at the end of this last season.
GI Sportz and Kingman have both discontinued their .50cal lines, and GI unloaded their stock to an online seller while Kingman has put their remaining stock on clearance.

KEE has utilized it for the Splatmaster revival, but I would hardly consider that to be compatible with the sport of paintball - it's more of a companion game.
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2013, 02:44 AM #23
jfreezy38

Yes!
jfreezy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 AM #24
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
I play UWL with .50cal setup, and it makes no difference other than yes more accurate, can carry more paint out, super efficient etc
I love it.

Markers: Bob Long Insight, MVP, 2012 G6R and VCOM

Clubs: Marq Clan | Insight Owners Group
WildWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 PM #25
stalefishsk8er

stalefishsk8er supports Team VICIOUS
stalefishsk8er supports Team VICIOUS
stalefishsk8er is for the Gunfight
stalefishsk8er supports Pev's Paintball
i've actually seen and held a .50 cal kingman marker at my local field
Old 08-17-2013, 08:10 AM #26
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

.50 cal was a great idea, the problem was that it was horribly marketed. They tried to tell us a load of BS about how it's more accurate and generally better, which we know through objective testing (and knew at the time) was horsecrap.

What they should have done was market it specifically to field ops as a better option for rentals. Far less gas usage, cheaper paint wholesale per round = better margins, lower impact = far less pain, less eye injury potential, less paint storage space required, etc. etc. etc.

Perfect for rental groups and a great way to grow the sport.

So why did it fail? Easy answer: staggeringly incompetent management.

Done right, there is no reason why companies couldn't start making and marketing .50 cal paint and markers again specifically to field ops. If fields could get a .50 cal version of something like the FT12 along with a reliable and steady supply of good .50 paint, they'd be all over it.

Last edited by vijil : 08-17-2013 at 08:33 AM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:17 PM #27
iboomalot

iboomalot is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
That would be a nice idea

ages 7-11 .50cal
ages 12+ .68cal

Keep a stock of 30 .50cal for the young kids for the above reasons Vijil said

VISIT www.expandinghealthcare.com for 30%-50% off dental costs with Aetna for $9.95/month which includes entire family
iboomalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:15 AM #28
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Well if you can get a 50 cal up to 400fps or more then the range and accuracy start to match 68 cal, while flying straighter and faster, catering to grown ups. You still get to keep most of the other advantages like size and price and it still hurts the same or less than 68. If you allow that then 50 actually starts to make sense as an all round replacement. The only thing getting in the way of this was insurance companies. Here in NZ that's not a problem. Just a shame that insurance is such a big deal over there.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:02 AM #29
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
Put it like this... UWL UK, Fat Bobs Fusion has 3 players shooting .50 cal. They are ranked #2 in the UK, only just behind the #1 slot (Planet Eclipse Sandbaggers).
We can chrono .68 to 280fps but .50 to 320fps.
Rec paint is better than tourny paint (well, the dark sports stuff).

Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 AM #30
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
Well if you can get a 50 cal up to 400fps or more then the range and accuracy start to match 68 cal, while flying straighter and faster, catering to grown ups. You still get to keep most of the other advantages like size and price and it still hurts the same or less than 68. If you allow that then 50 actually starts to make sense as an all round replacement. The only thing getting in the way of this was insurance companies. Here in NZ that's not a problem. Just a shame that insurance is such a big deal over there.
One major disadvantage to that is very difficult, if not impossible, to see a 50 cal paintball moving at 400 fps. Even at 300 fps, they are more difficult to see than a 68 cal paintball. That means you can't trace shots and can't adjust your aim accordingly.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:35 AM #31
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Mm, what colour are the shells? I've found it's hard enough with 68 at 300 if the shells are dark, would bright shells make a difference?
Old 08-21-2013, 01:28 PM #32
sgeorge98

no.
sgeorge98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 PM #33
sgeorge98

cool
sgeorge98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:08 PM #34
chrismccall

go idea
chrismccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:38 AM #35
MarkWahlberg

I haven't read everything here. But one thing needs to be kept in mind guys:

With the smaller round:

*****///Higher velocities can now be achieved\\\*****

Solving all the issues most of you are discussing (I'm guessing).

Pass it on.

(Oh, and these need to be introduced to airball, because range is obviously not as important)

Last edited by MarkWahlberg : 11-10-2013 at 07:42 AM.
MarkWahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:19 AM #36
Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWahlberg View Post
I haven't read everything here. But one thing needs to be kept in mind guys:

With the smaller round:

*****///Higher velocities can now be achieved\\\*****
I don't think 50 cal paintballs can be shot above 300 fps, according to ASTM standards which is what insurance companies tend to use and industries themselves tend to use as well.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:27 AM #37
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I don't think 50 cal paintballs can be shot above 300 fps, according to ASTM standards which is what insurance companies tend to use and industries themselves tend to use as well.
They can - it is all about balancing the size, weight and velocity...

Normal .68 cal can be shot to around 350fps - which sites limit it down to 300/280fps to account for spikes and to keep it well within range.

In the UK, we shoot .50cal upto a max of 320fps - but the allowed limit is probably 400fps.

It is also why Airsoft can shoot 550fps (from memory) as the BBs have a small weight/mass.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:52 AM #38
Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWayz View Post
They can - it is all about balancing the size, weight and velocity...

Normal .68 cal can be shot to around 350fps - which sites limit it down to 300/280fps to account for spikes and to keep it well within range.

In the UK, we shoot .50cal upto a max of 320fps - but the allowed limit is probably 400fps.

It is also why Airsoft can shoot 550fps (from memory) as the BBs have a small weight/mass.
Yes, Europe the industry seems to be using Government's muzzle energy ratings rather than the ASTM fps ratings. Personally, I don't quite understand why the ATSM uses fps. Kinetic energy ratings make much more sense.

Having said that, for recreational play, I personally don't see the need to go above 300 fps with 50 cal unless of course you are going up against 68 cal with it. But if everyone is using 50 cal, the 300 fps is plenty fast enough in my opinion. I find 50 cal hard to see when shot at 300 fps. I would imagine at higher than 300 fps, it gets that much harder to follow. For me, that would be a fairly major drawback.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:38 AM #39
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Yes, Europe the industry seems to be using Government's muzzle energy ratings rather than the ASTM fps ratings. Personally, I don't quite understand why the ATSM uses fps. Kinetic energy ratings make much more sense.

Having said that, for recreational play, I personally don't see the need to go above 300 fps with 50 cal unless of course you are going up against 68 cal with it. But if everyone is using 50 cal, the 300 fps is plenty fast enough in my opinion. I find 50 cal hard to see when shot at 300 fps. I would imagine at higher than 300 fps, it gets that much harder to follow. For me, that would be a fairly major drawback.
That is exactly why we go to 320fps - to compete with .68

In the UK .68 is 280fps - .50 is 320fps.

Rental sites that just use .50cal tend to shoot it at 260-280 - to lower the impact on kids.

I've played UWL with .50cal up against .68...
1500+ shots (1 hopper and 2 pods) on a 2500psi fill vs 1 hopper and 4-6 pods on a 3000psi fill using .68cal is a no brainer

Old 03-04-2014, 07:31 AM #40
mini outlaw

mini outlaw owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mini outlaw supports Empire
50 cal is getting bigger I think it will cause it is a cheaper paintball to make
mini outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 PM #41
Lord_Peyton

Lord_Peyton owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
swag
Lord_Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:11 AM #42
Rodinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by firl21 View Post
id like to see 50 catch on. problem is my guns wont shoot it. IMHO 50cal is better suited for milsim applications while 68 is for more speedball applications
I agree with this. With the growing deviation between the two styles of play, .50 cal would fit perfectly for mil-sim applications. Sure, having one system would do great, mil-sim markers would have a major benefit to mag capacity.

You can keep the current standard for .68, and move magfed to .50. Everyone benefits. Allow both on the field, but limit .50 to magfeds.
Rodinski is offline   Reply With Quote