PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 PM #1
shield40

shield40 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DM13 Questions and Tuning

I recently purchased a used DM13 (gun only, no case or extras) and the last DM gun I owned was a DM9. I realize that the fuse bolt has changed since then and I really havenít kept up to date on the DM guns since I have owned other high end markers since my DM9. So here are my questions:

1.) Do they have medium part kits for the DM12/13 (my bolt sail O-ring, the brown one, was shredded when I received the marker so it leaks)? All I find are part kits for DM markers from DM8-11. I checked several websites with no luck.

2.) Do you set up the Billy Wing bolt like the stock bolt as indicated in the manual? According to the manual, you lower the dwell to 10ms then shoot the marker until there is consistency in velocity after increasing the dwell little by little and leave the dwell there.
shield40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2013, 04:06 PM #2
grss429
Gun Tech! & Field owner

grss429 plays in the PSP
grss429 posts videos on PbNation
grss429 plays in the APPA D4 division
grss429 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
grss429 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
most dm9-13 parts kits are the same, ansgear has them, the fuse bolt hasn't really changed since the 9 series markers,

to answer your number 2, yes you can do it like that but I don't recommend it, best settings for stock and BW are dwell of 18 or 21, lpr between 2-3 1/4th turns.

for stock normally i do 21 dwell, lpr 3 1/2 turns.

bw bolt it differs on theses but again dwell of 21, lpr of either 2 1/2 or 3 it just depends how low you can get it to cycle without drop off issues.

for the most part you can set the dwell of 21 and just turn the LPR in till it stops then back it out till the bolt sucks in, then do 3/4ths of a turn out from that and check for consistency issues/drop offs

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY FACEBOOK PAGE! WEBSITE COMING SOON www.facebook.com/bfinpbt

Owner/home field.
Come play at Nature of the game paintball in hampstead North Carolina (910) 270 2163
grss429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:44 PM #3
Joe13750

Joe13750 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Joe13750 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Joe13750 is for the Gunfight
For tuning I would just bump dwell up to 21 like previously stated. Then turn lpr all the way in until you feel slight tension (don't just crank it in). Then air up gun, bolt will shoot foward. Then you need to slowly back lpr out until bolt fully sucks back. From there back it out another 1/4 - 1/2 turn. This will give you smoothest shoot and an lpr of around 1.5 turns out. I never run my lpr above 2 turn out even with stock bolt.
#7 ORLANDO

G.I Victus http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4383161
Joe13750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 PM #4
shield40

I happened to come across my old dm9 parts kit that came with that gun and I replaced the bolt sail o-ring and re-lubed the maker. This has stopped the leak. As for the dwell, why 21ms? I thought the lower the dwell, the better chance of air efficiency or am I way off?

Thanks for the help and advice.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:51 PM #5
Joe13750

Well a lower dwell can lead to better numbers. But a higher dwell will give you a slight inc in fps allowing lower setting and less of a chance for fsdo. Also a dwell of 18-21 ms should be more consistent than a lower dwell. You usually want to tune your dm for a soft quiet shot.
#7 ORLANDO

Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 AM #6
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
The Dm line closes off the dump chamber during firing. That means the efficiency gains from running a shorter dwell time aren't very drastic. This time of year you're better off to raise your dwell and run your pressure lower. You might lose a pod at most. A decent trade off for a gun that always works and will be easier on brittle paint. Usually you can also run your LPR a tad lower with a higher dwell.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals, spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM #7
bunker81

bunker81 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe13750 View Post
For tuning I would just bump dwell up to 21 like previously stated. Then turn lpr all the way in until you feel slight tension (don't just crank it in). Then air up gun, bolt will shoot foward. Then you need to slowly back lpr out until bolt fully sucks back. From there back it out another 1/4 - 1/2 turn. This will give you smoothest shoot and an lpr of around 1.5 turns out. I never run my lpr above 2 turn out even with stock bolt.
Dye Rotor
bunker81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 PM #8
shield40

So I tried the suggestions of a 21ms dwell with the LPR about 2 1/2 to 3 turns out. Unfortunately, I didn't have very good luck with these settings. I was either breaking paint like crazy or get very little velocity from the marker.

I tried the settings according to the manual with my BW bolt and right now my dwell is set to 10ms and the LPR is set to the stock settings (4 turns out) and I am shooting in the high 280's to low 290's.

What issues could I face with these settings? Does anyone else have these settings or setting that are close to mine?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 PM #9
Joe13750

Quote:
Originally Posted by shield40 View Post
So I tried the suggestions of a 21ms dwell with the LPR about 2 1/2 to 3 turns out. Unfortunately, I didn't have very good luck with these settings. I was either breaking paint like crazy or get very little velocity from the marker.

I tried the settings according to the manual with my BW bolt and right now my dwell is set to 10ms and the LPR is set to the stock settings (4 turns out) and I am shooting in the high 280's to low 290's.

What issues could I face with these settings? Does anyone else have these settings or setting that are close to mine?
I never heard of anyone running a dwell that low. As for the lpr are you certain you didn't turn in the lpr too much before backing it out. You could of went past the "0" mark and what you think is 4 turn out may actually only be 2.

As for a possible issue, check you orings to see how they fit. My friend picked up a new dm12 recently and got a new bwing for Xmas. The orings were obviously not broken in and he had a similar issue with needing a higher lpr setting. You could try what I did to help him, try putting some metal polish on the orings and hand cycle the bolt for about 5 mins. Simulates dozens of cases through gun. Just make sure you thoroughly clean the orings and grooves that there's no metal polish left. (I recommend using the metal polish on the stock bolt for extra precaution)

Idk how you got it shooting higher with that dwell though, your hpr is probably much higher than the ~145psi is should be around. I would bump your dwell up to 18-21 and leave lpr where it is now and see if you see a significant inc in fps.
#7 ORLANDO

Last edited by Joe13750 : 01-28-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 PM #10
speedy2k4
BSH University

speedy2k4 is a Supporting Member
Quote:

Dwell represents the time current is sent to the solenoid coil, which translates to time the bolt has to move forward. LPR controls the pressure supplied to the bolt sail, which roughly translates to bolt speed.

The goal is to move the bolt forward and allow the chamber to empty before the bolt retracts. You can do this by increasing the LPR and consequently bolt speed, or by increasing the dwell and amount of time air is directed to propel the bolt forward.

You may get your marker to run at a dwell of 10ms, but could easily run in to consistency problems down the road, especially in colder weather. It's also usually gentler on paint to run a higher dwell and lower LPR pressure due to the slower bolt speed.

What I would recommend is choosing a dwell setting between 18-21ms, then turn your LPR in/clockwise until you feel resistance. Air up the marker, and while pulling the trigger slowly increase the LPR (counter-clockwise) until the bolt is fully cycling. Then increase by 1/2 rotation more and chrono.

I hate the "Set your LPR to 3 turns out" etc because for one, different markers require different adjustments, and two, there is no consistent starting point. Some people turn the adjuster in too far, damage their reg seat and end up with a poor LPR setting anyways.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:05 PM #11
shield40

So I have my dm13 tuned with the following settings: LPR about 3 turns, HPR set at approx 140-145psi, dwell at 2ms with BW bolt. I am chronoing in the high 280s to low 290s. Every now and then I will get one in the high 260s to low 270s. Do I need to adjust my settings or wait until dm13 is broken in? I hear Dye markers take some paint through them to get broken in.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 PM #12
shield40

I meant 21ms not 2ms
Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 PM #13
MstrKey

Did you adjust your gun indoors then go outdoors in the cool air to play? If so your LPR pressure is probably still a tad too low. Always adjust your gun once it's at the temperature you'll be playing at.

Other than that bump your LPR up another quarter turn out and you should be ok. Make sure you have a good battery......not a cheapo brand.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 PM #14
shield40

I adjusted everything inside so my marker was room temperature. In my previous post, I actually liked the setting of 12ms for my dwell, but my HPR was running at 150 PSI. I feel like the lower dwell gave my dm13 the quiet signature sound. What is the benefit of running a high dwell when my LPR is almost at the stock setting of 4 turns? It seems like a dwell of 21ms is the common setting in these markers.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 PM #15
MstrKey

dwell

Quote:
I adjusted everything inside so my marker was room temperature. In my previous post, I actually liked the setting of 12ms for my dwell, but my HPR was running at 150 PSI. I feel like the lower dwell gave my dm13 the quiet signature sound. What is the benefit of running a high dwell when my LPR is almost at the stock setting of 4 turns? It seems like a dwell of 21ms is the common setting in these markers.
Basically, the lower dwell will give you a bit more efficiency(not much) but the higher dwell is a rock solid no trouble setting. Especially in the cold. Plus it will usually allow you to run your LPR and HPR lower which is easier on paint, smoother and more consistent at the chrony.

In my mind there is really little gain to running a low dwell. The gun operates much better with a high one.