Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-16-2010, 01:29 PM #1
quiksilver1011
Instock Paintball

how to make a cheap easy and somewhat effective silencer?

hey. the reason i want this is cause i go and just practice shooting in a forest near my house. more than once ive had cops called on me. i just want something to help muffle the sound for that reason. yes i know its "illegal" and such and i dont intend to hide in a bush and pick people off. this is for my training ONLY! i use draxxus ecofriendly paint so im not even leaving a mess at the place. ive looked around and seen all the pvp ones. im just looking for something i can make quickly and cheap. thanks in advance
quiksilver1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2010, 01:36 PM #2
p3ngu!n
oh looky, a penguin.

It's not illegal, only retards would tell you that. Paintball gins dot follow firearm laws, therefore the silencer would be legal.

Just research a way to make a silencer. Then machine one or something.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:41 PM #3
quiksilver1011
Instock Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ngu!n View Post
It's not illegal, only retards would tell you that. Paintball gins dot follow firearm laws, therefore the silencer would be legal.

Just research a way to make a silencer. Then machine one or something.
thats the thing. i have no way to machine one. ive seen the ones that are machined. theyre nice but i just was a mcguiver style one. makeshift
quiksilver1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:04 PM #4
rammstein_5v2
Idontfeelanditfeelsgreat

pvc, sponges, and duct tape.

How consistent
How can someone so consistently mess up as much as
Every instance
How can someone inconsistent mess up so consistently
rammstein_5v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:53 PM #5
DocsMachine
Yeah, I can make that.

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ngu!n View Post
-Call me a retard then, because paintball silencers can be and are considered illegal by the BATFE.

Roughly ten years ago, the barrel maker BOA (Barrels of America) used to make and sell a barrel they called the Concealor- it was a hardchromed-brass barrel supplied with a plastic sleeve to cover the barrel porting.

BOA was raided and shut down by the then-BATF, specifically because they were producing "silencers". Their stock was confiscated, the factory/workshop closed and locked, and BOA was dragged into court. After something like a year or a year and a half, and over $100K in legal fees, the case was settled- no jail time, but the stock of barrels and parts were destroyed, and I think there was a fine involved as well.

All of which of course put BOA out of business.

Now, about five years ago, a paper was released on the 'Net, from the BATFE, stating they'd tested a paintball gun silencer that was considered legal- that design was built into the gun body and nonremovable. Speculation suggested it was a Smart Parts SP1 "shell" that had an extended front that enclosed the barrel, but the paper didn't say for sure.

That system was considered legal, because it had to be hacksawed from the paintball gun in order to be tested. And their "test" to tell of a silencer is or isn't legal, is to fire a .22 through it. If the noise is attenuated (quieted) even just 1Db, it's illegal.

The one that passed, however, was essentially destroyed by sawing it off the paintball gun, and therefore was considered "okay".

If you want to legally quiet your marker, get the longest 2-piece barrel you can find, that has the most porting possible in the tip end. Wrap a couple turns of thin open-cell foam over the ports, and secure it with a couple of rubber bands. If you're worried about the color of the foam, cover it with a camo handkerchief from the surplus store.

It'll work about as well, if not better, than a purpose-built paintball silencer, but has the benefit of not looking like a silencer when the cop shows up to nab you for trespassing.

Doc.
Confusing the hell out of nonplayers every Monday, Wednesday and Friday since 2002.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:43 PM #6
Homelessballerz
Will work 4 paintballs

Homelessballerz supports Pev's Paintball
My friends dad who's a cop (And HUGE gun finatic) told me a paintball silencer was legal as it was an "air gun" idk of different states have diff regulations or what. But the PVC and sponge is the best way to go(foam works too). Or have a legal place to fire it.
Homelessballerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:05 PM #7
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
Paintball silencers are illegal because they can be modified for use on actual firearms. It doesn't matter what it's made out of, it's still a silencer.

If you've already had the cops called on you, getting caught with a silencer the next time wouldn't do you any good.
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:44 PM #8
AjAk124578
Total FeedBack: +110/-1

AjAk124578 supports Pev's Paintball
AjAk124578 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
AjAk124578 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
AjAk124578 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
you can use a two litter soda bottle to quiet a gunshot if done correctly so are those illegal too? its paintball your neighbors and local cops will appreicate that you cared enough to find a solution... enough said.

Last edited by AjAk124578 : 05-16-2010 at 07:46 PM.
AjAk124578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:53 PM #9
p3ngu!n
oh looky, a penguin.

I say who gives a ****? Stupid *** neighbors need to mind their own damn business.
Why not call the cops on them the next time you hear them playing music. And keep doing it.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:38 PM #10
DocsMachine
Yeah, I can make that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjAk124578 View Post
you can use a two litter soda bottle to quiet a gunshot if done correctly so are those illegal too?
-Yes, as a matter of fact. The bottle isn't illegal, of course, but as soon as you try to attach it to a firearm, you have a 'silencer' and therefore have broken the law.

Many years ago, a company made a small threaded collar. That's all it was, just a collar. It screwed to some common barrel thread (like where a muzzle brake/flash suppressor would go) and had outside threads you could screw a 2-liter bottle to.

The company making those, too, was raided and shut down by the ATF. Depite the fact they never made a "silencer" at all- it was just a piece of threaded plastic.

Supposedly that just happened again recently- A company made a device (again, just a small plastic doohickey) that clipped (not screwed) to a rifle muzzle, to which you would screw an empty water or soda bottle. This time it was intended to catch the debris, solvent and dirty patches when you were cleaning the barrel.

Again, the ATF shut them down as well, saying that it was designed to sneak around the restriction and make a silencer- again, despite the fact that the doohickey wasn't advertised for that sort of thing, no one on the company making them had ever used it for that reason, and no one had any record of anyone even trying to use it for that reason.

The bottom line is, it's not worth it. The ATF is pretty militant about it, and will prosecute. Even if you're found not guilty, it'll still cost you tens of thousands in legal fees.

Doc.
Confusing the hell out of nonplayers every Monday, Wednesday and Friday since 2002.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:49 PM #11
AjAk124578
Total FeedBack: +110/-1

AjAk124578 supports Pev's Paintball
AjAk124578 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
AjAk124578 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
AjAk124578 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
All of your resopnses have been about manufacturing silencers or similat equipment for resale not a guy trying to keep the neighorhood happy
Old 05-16-2010, 11:34 PM #12
peachesarenottasty

peachesarenottasty is playing at Living Legends III
peachesarenottasty supports Team VICIOUS
peachesarenottasty supports Pev's Paintball
peachesarenottasty has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
silencers (no matter what they are for unless they are mock silencers) are illegal. ATF has proven then any silencer can be modded to work on a real firearm and they have banned them for use in the US
Old 05-16-2010, 11:38 PM #13
J0UN1N

Annual Supporting Member
J0UN1N is playing at Living Legends III
J0UN1N is playing at Living Legends V
J0UN1N is playing at Living Legends VI
J0UN1N is playing at Living Legends VII
J0UN1N supports Sherwood Forest
J0UN1N supports Sherwood Forest
instead of doing something stupid and possibly illegal, why don't you talk to the people who are calling the cops about why they call the cops. it could be something as simple as "OMG! was that a gunshot? call the cops!" (yeah i know, a paintball gun doesn't sound like a gunshot, but people out there can/will be stupid). it could also be that you are on their land and they don't want you doing it there, in which case you should find somewhere else to do it. either way, figure out why they do it, and try to work with them so that everyone's happy.

they aren't illegal. assuming you are in a state that allows private ownership of them, you have to pay a 200 dollar tax/fee on them, plus do some paperwork. source --->http://forum.specialopspaintball.com...showtopic=1211

The Cocker Haiku:
Did it work before?
You screwed with it, didn't you?
Got what you deserve.

Last edited by J0UN1N : 05-16-2010 at 11:56 PM.
J0UN1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:21 AM #14
DocsMachine
Yeah, I can make that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjAk124578 View Post
All of your resopnses have been about manufacturing silencers or similat equipment for resale not a guy trying to keep the neighorhood happy
-Doesn't matter. The examples I listed are simply the high-profile cases.

But, while the ATF isn't going to waste resources putting a sting out on a kid taping a soda-bottle to his Ion, they're more than happy to charge him if he's brought in for other reasons (trespassing, speeding, etc.)

It is just as illegal to build one as it is to build fifty.

Doc.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:42 AM #15
weltmaker2000
Rickfactor

weltmaker2000 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
weltmaker2000 supports Team VICIOUS
Perhaps considering the number of shootings in your area and the neighbouring municipalities, stalking around in the bush with an item that appears to be a firearm is not a good idea. Did you consider it was maybe the mere appearance of what you were doing and not the sound that was causing the calls to police. I think continuing to go out in the bush with your marker after being warned not to is a great way to have your marker end up in the city incinerator and your name added to an occurance file.

FFS, buy some reballs and snapshoot or "train" at your own house.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 AM #16
tonyneedspills2
nutrider

reballs only option, you could invest whatever you wanted into a silencer but your still shooting in public.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:36 AM #17
The Hellforger
Dark Horse

yeah pretty much anyway you turn it a silencer is illegal to own/transport/use etc.

some of the idiots floating around on the internet (J0UN1N included) say "oh if you pay 200 dollars for the tax stamp and do the paper work you can own one" while yes if you do the paperwork and then the BATFE approves you (which they won't approve over 95% of the US in the case of class 3 items) you can pay the 200 and get the silencer. Then you are subject to search by them at any point in time that they please.

A local gun smith around here (never did anything illegal nor had any class 3 items) had the BATFE show up at his house one day and search every corner of his house and then went as far as to bring in a backhoe and dig up his yard because the "thought" he might be hoarding weapons. He wasn't but that shows you slightly to what extent they are capable of doing without warrants or anything else, just a whim

and Doc Nickel, got an idea for ya. What about just machining a tippmann a5 receiver half that has the barrel built into it and then build a silencer onto that. then people could really have a silenced paintball gun and it would stop just about all of these threads

gun powder + PVC pipe + paintball = Hand grenade with a tiny paint splatter"
The Hellforger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 AM #18
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
Also, why not just go to your field if you want practice? Shooting at trees really isn't going to help you much. Even your back yard is a better idea than the middle of the woods. If you have a paintball gun then obviously you have somewhere reasonably devoid of humans where you go to play.
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:53 PM #19
WhiteNinja09
Q("Q) Kirby Boxing

WhiteNinja09 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
WhiteNinja09 supports Bob Gurnsey
if your really that worried about it use a pool noddle ( the little floaty noodles )
cut off a 12 inch piece and put it over your barrel with alittle sticking past the end ( also works on firearms )
Old 05-17-2010, 02:12 PM #20
RabidHobo
projectile bacon?!

RabidHobo owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
RabidHobo supports Team VICIOUS
RabidHobo has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RabidHobo has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
doc has already mentioned the best solution, long barrel, lots of porting.
RabidHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:38 AM #21
-=TigerPB=-

I've read that using fiberglass pipe insulation is effective, and legal--it's not modified or anything, just slipped over the barrel.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4LFC9?Pid=search <- that's the insulation.

http://www.paintball.bwalter.net/silencer.htm <-that's the site that has copies of the ATF response deeming it legal--print those, keep them handy.