PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 AM #1
Crazyboi07

Crazyboi07 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Lightbulb Helping new players/rentals

I havent seen this being said yet

If your reffing, help the young players out, point out things, help them move up and such

If they have fun and they shoot people that could be a returning customer and it will feel good on your part that you just got someone new to play and helping the sport grow. Even help players when your playing on your field.

Once in a while i see a young player get shot like right away, you can see it in there eyes that there sad cause they didnt even really get started to play that game, I wipe of there hit, walk them back to there base and let them get back in, and they make it through most of the game with a kill or 2.

My field is great, alot of the regular crowd will high five the kids and say they did a good job, or help them out and give them tip, even take them under there wing.

Remember its what you do that brings them as a regular player.

Our woods field is set up to let parents and other players watch the game from the staging area. When parents see this they are very please.
Crazyboi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:15 PM #2
h3p

my gal thinks i'm a pedophile.. but i love hanging out with all the little kids (most of the time)

:thumbsup:
h3p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:31 PM #3
Fiddles4

Fiddles4 plays in the APPA beginner division
Fiddles4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fiddles4 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fiddles4 supports Empire
I love helping the little kids learn the sport! If it wasn't for the refs at my field and the team that played there teaching me and showing me where I messed up I would have stopped playing paintball a long time ago.
If we want the sport to grow we have to be positive role models for the newer generations.
Great post!
Fiddles4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:39 PM #4
wonderboyP8NT

wonderboyP8NT owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
wonderboyP8NT has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I completely agree, but man the field I played at Saturday absolutely pampered the young kids so much it was disgusting. Pulling people off the field for shooting too close, forcing players to use one finger on the trigger, and literally saying mid game that hopper hits don't count - then saying hits are chest only.

Won't be going back there unless I revert to my 12 year old prepubescent state.
wonderboyP8NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:45 PM #5
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Really, you shouldn't help them out much during the game. If you're taking your attention off the rest of the game to coach them, you're not doing your job. If you want to give them pointers, do it between points, not during game play. Let their parents and friends handle that aspect.

Furthermore, if you're wiping off hits on people, keep in mind that the hit you just wiped off may be from another first-timer and it very may well be the first person all day they've shot. Never wipe off a hit in rec-ball. Let the game play itself out. I do agree, it sucks that they got shot out early, but it isn't your job to worry about that. Give them a pointer on why they were shot early and how to avoid it the next point after the current game has ended.

Bottom line, you're on the field as a safety official, not a coach.

CFOA/PSP Certified Referee
simple_condolences is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 PM #6
Jt's_ego11

Jt's_ego11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Play reinsertion games with walk-ons too...it gives them incentive to be more aggressive!
Jt's_ego11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:26 PM #7
Alexzannder

The kids getting into this sport are the future, they will decide whether the sports lives or dies. I unfortunately have seen a lot of people mistreat the new kids playing. i completely agree that you need to help them. mainly just encourage them to play and make sure they have fun. no kid is going to come back if they have a horrible time their first day on the field and nobody is being nice to them.