Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-14-2013, 01:51 AM #1
richardskidmore01

What do you do to get in shape for the Field?

Everybody always seems to have there own personal tips and tricks list of how to train to improve there game, curious to get a list and maybe learn something new. I personally dont do anything special i think the best way is the tried and true method of gym time and a good diet, for which i use Herbalife and a trainer that came with it lol, hit me up if your interested, otherwise lets hear it, there's only so much a luxe can do for your game haha.
richardskidmore01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM #2
TheGraveDigger
My Darkest Fear

TheGraveDigger is playing at Living Legends VI
I get on the treadmill quite often each week and lift dumbbells. I don't usually eat junk food but stay away from chocolate and sweets they will slow you down.
TheGraveDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:25 AM #3
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Here are two exercises that cover the most used muscles in paintball, the longissimus and iliocostalis thoracis(back muscles) and the muscle group in the anterior femoral region(top of the upper part of the leg, specifically the sartorius muscle).
These two muscle groups control how quickly you can stand up and how long you can remain squatted.

Most workout routines don't cover these muscles because they are hardly used and are most difficult to target. So, you can do all the situps and leg presses you want, the growth of these muscles will be very slow.

A word of warning though, the three muscles are very long and thin, and there is some risk with these workouts, however, if you don't work them out and instead push them too hard playing paintball, it is even more risky. Above all, you don't want to "push them" as hard as you would any other muscle group there is no other muscles to support them and injuring them is really bad.

The first is the sartorius muscle, normally all this muscle does is rotate your foot outwards, so it isn't a very strong muscle, you need to change that: What you will need to do is squat down like you're in an "air chair," then spread your legs as far to the side as you can while still keeping your balance. Then shift your weight without moving your legs over top of each leg, then shift back to the other leg. You want to remain squatted the entire time and keep leaned forwards, no need to keep your back straight, basically remain in the same posture as you would if you were actually playing behind a bunker. The cool thing about this exercise is you can practice switching hands at the same time. Just move slow and steady, the sartorius is a very long and thin muscle and if you go too quickly or work it too much, it could do more harm than good. If you're doing it right, you should start to feel the pain on the inside of your leg just above your knee. As soon as your legs start to shake, stop for the day, if they aren't shaking, do some more reps until you think you've done enough(the shaking is very bad, don't let it get to that point). You're growing a small muscle, so it's going to take awhile, so don't try and push yourself super hard or expect to see a difference in 3 days.

The next is the back muscle, these are the ones that you don't want to use when lifting boxes, however, they are the ones that pick your chest and head up when popping up to play snake. Normally, these are bad to work out, because these are the two muscles that lead to back pain and if you push them too hard, that is what you will get.
However, you increase your risk if you just work these muscles out during normal play, so, it's good to work them out slowly in a controlled environment.

The exercise you want to do is kind of a reverse situp. Lay face down on your bed with your torso hanging off your bed and get someone or something to hold your feet down. Now, bring your chest up until you're back is straight, be careful not to lift too high, your spine isn't supposed to bend any further, and won't appreciate you forcing it further.
Another way is to do like you would in snake, squat on the ground sitting on your shins with your legs spread as wide as possible. Then pop up like you would if you were shooting over the snake segments, then go back down, over and over.
Again, take it slow, and don't push yourself too far. After you're done, lie on your back for a few minutes to let the muscles rest.

For even more info, read this thread: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3750737

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 01-14-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 PM #4
nerdcore
Radical!

has been a member for 10 years
nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
The field IS where i exercise.

My wife made me start Insanity with her. Day 2 was today, and no surprise, i'm dying.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 PM #5
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdcore View Post
The field IS where i exercise.

My wife made me start Insanity with her. Day 2 was today, and no surprise, i'm dying.
If you do die can I have your paintball stuff?
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 PM #6
Gyvanth
That Awkward Guy

Gyvanth has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Mainly just running. I try to do at least one long run (8+ miles) every week, with a speed workout once a week and mid-distance (4-6 miles) runs for all the other days. Helps keep the stamina up, but no matter what I do I still pant after sprinting inside my Sly Profit.
Gyvanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 AM #7
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman is playing at Living Legends VI
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
JohnSherman supports Empire
Rowing. Find an exercise and diet plan designed for a rower, and stick to that. Not only is it healthy in general, but the goals of a rower and the goals of a paintballer are similar.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 AM #8
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
I do a few miles running one day, then in the gym the next day doing squats, bicep curls, and mountain climbers. Also, on Saturdays I play Ultimate Frisbee. Great game to improve your paintball game, improves your flexibility and your stamina for long games.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 AM #9
p8ntballer101
K-nasty

masterbate smoke grass and play video games.
APPA Player ID#9837 - CURRENT RANK: D3
FIRE IN THE HOLE!~ DP G4 APE RAMPAGE LED BOARD TECHT BOLT SP FULL FREAK W/ AA TIP ROTOR 77cu NINJA TANK DYE HYPER3 REG EXALT TANK and REG GRIP (onT e c h P B@:: p8ntballer101 )
p8ntballer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM #10
nerdcore
Radical!

nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
If you do die can I have your paintball stuff?

I'd like to be buried with it, like a pharaoh.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:39 PM #11
PEfan13oy

PEfan13oy owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
What i like to do is run for about 15-20min to get my blood rushing and my heart rate up and then do kettle bell exercises for about half hour. I use a 20lb bell, may not sound like a lot, but kettle bells work so many different parts of the body, it's really good. Joe Rogan preaches about kettle bells.
PEfan13oy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 PM #12
dhill2013

i play football and run track for my school so i think thats enough for me haha
dhill2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:04 PM #13
paintballer1599

I run cross country at my school and that helps a lot.
paintballer1599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:43 AM #14
Tryfan

Lots and lots of alcohol.
Tryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:30 AM #15
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

I would go all out crossfit, but I'm one of those really skinny dudes. I do a mixture of crossfit, body for life, and p90x. As soon as I buy a house, I am building a gym out of the living room.

I run intervals.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 PM #16
imOGpb

imOGpb has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
imOGpb has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballer101 View Post
masterbate smoke grass and play video games.
i wish i could do that. now i just go to the gym and rely on natures beast mode to activate
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 PM #17
ih8ipods
Way diffrent in real life

swim it will improve you in ways you never knew

PLEASE STOP USING DUBSTEP IN ANY AND ALL PAINTBALL VIDEOS CAUSE REALLY ITS JUST HARD TO WATCH WITH THAT UNINTELLIGIBLE GARBAGE PLAYING.

On average NPPL and semi players can satisfy their girlfriends and wives much better than PSP and ramping players :)
ih8ipods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 AM #18
victoriaPB

sports keep me in shape:
2 soccer practices and one game a week
3 volleyball practices a week
workout at the gym for about 40 minutes everyday (at school)

Keeps me in good shape when it comes time to be running on the paintball field
victoriaPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 AM #19
ELuSiVe1151

ELuSiVe1151 is an NCPA player
ELuSiVe1151 plays in the APPA D5 division
I'm only in my late 20's and my knees feel like they belong to a 40 year old. i'll try some of the leg exercizes mentioned here, maybe eventually my knees wont feel so old.
The Grind Continues!!!
Empossible Sports - Jim Pica Foto - Meadowlands PB
ELuSiVe1151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 PM #20
swatstylez
A Dom.Rep Canuck

I do a lot of speed training.
40 meter dashes and also light feet workouts with pylons.
Squats are really good to as well as long distance cardio.
I think flexibility is important to especially for the front/snake players
Workouts can differ between what position you play.

Not sure if you ever heard of Cross Fit training but i believe that cross fit gives great core structure training and that can help out a lot in paintball
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...8#post78185668
swatstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM #21
bulzeye

bulzeye is a Supporting Member
bulzeye donated to help Peyton Trent
bulzeye supports Team VICIOUS
bulzeye is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Euro training
bulzeye is offline   Reply With Quote