Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-23-2013, 01:22 PM #1
catrease01

mr1 mods

Ok guys, got some questions. First off this is all just for the fun of building something. I have a mr1 mechanical not electronic. However, im interested in turning it more to the electric side WITHOUT buying the parts. Theres teo things I want to make and thats a e trigger and eyes. my idea is to get a micro solenoid and attached a light but sturdy rod to it so that when its activated it pushes the sear end and releasing the striker. Im going to run a conduction wire through the trigger so that when its pulled.back the end touches a metal receiverin the grip and completes the ciruit making the solenoid fire. For the eeyes I was thinking of a simple IF emitter and detector that I have and placing it on the bottom part of the top barrel of the gun so that when a ball isnt in there the beam is un broken and a signal goes through the wires. What I need to know is there some sort of part will interrupt the signal from the trigger to solenoid that I can run off of the IF detector. That way if the beam is unbroken, there is noball, any signal from the trigger to the solenoid is not received, but when the beam is broken , there is a ball, the signal is not interuppted and the solenoid is allowed to fire? What do u think?
catrease01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 PM #2
HollowLefty
Falls down a lot

electromechanically speaking you have two options as far as circuit design.

analog:
I'm sure it can work (the original programming "code" was just resistors caps and inductors) but to get any kind of logic in there it helps to get something that's actually programmable. which brings us to...

microcontrollers:
these are instances in which you have a programmed "brain" with inputs which delivers a desired output depending on the input conditions. arduino is the most ubiquitous platform for DIY stuff and with all the help out there is easy to work with. an arduino pro mini 328 should have all the capability you need in about the right sized package.

of the two I would go with the second route. this is because if you go with the simplest possible variation of your circuit (trigger is a switch that connects a battery to a clapper noid through a resistor) then the dwell or period that the solenoid is "on" is going to be both inconsistent and way too long. the microcontroller lets you choose how long you want that activated, it also makes it possible to use photosensitive components. the only way I can even sort of think of to do eyes in an analog circuit would be to take the output voltage from the sensor portion and amplify the crap out of it to make a voltage sufficient enough to trip a transistor. it sounds like an interesting experiment but I don't know enough to say whether or not it would work. from what i've seen on IF emitters and detectors they are pretty much packaging the eye components with a micro controller which then gives an output that you can use in whatever manner you like. but again since the trigger vs firing logic would be almost simpler with another controller you might as well just run a led and sensor directly to a single controller that will interpret all the inputs and outputs directly.

just one question for clarification. you talk about using a solenoid to actuate the sear, i assume you mean a clapper noid like the ones used in existing electronic blowback guns? or do you mean to have a solenoid trigger a ram that will actuate the sear?

"Is it an o ring?"

"No, It's ALL the o rings!"
HollowLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:37 AM #3
catrease01

A solenoid trigger a ram to trip the sear. Then when trigger is let off and the circuit is broke the solenoid falls back down allowing the striker to reset the sear. I say solenoid as general im learned on the different types. Clapper ?
Old 10-24-2013, 10:32 AM #4
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
People confuse the term "solenoid" with "solenoid actuated valve" in the paintball world. Electropneumatic markers operate via a solenoid actuated valve, meaning that a very small solenoid is needed because it only redirects air to do the work. An electromechanical marker like you propose has a solenoid acting directly on the sear. A clapper solenoid is a name for a single action, spring returned solenoid (precisely what you would want for this)

Now a way to do this in an analogue sense would be two have three switches in the line that powers the solenoid. The first switch would be the external on/off or safety switch. The second switch would be in your eyes, it would close only when the beam was broken allowing power to flow to the solenoid. There are various switches designed for optical, infrared and what have you. The third switch would be actuated by the sear, hammer, or bolt so that when the sear was actually released, and the marker cycling, power would be cut to the solenoid allowing the marker to recock and preventing what we call "blender mode"

The better system would be to use an arduino board. That way you could program other firing modes.
Lover of All Things Paintball
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:42 AM #5
catrease01

I have an arduino setup and all but I rather not learn a while new thing plus althe boards for arduino are a bit.to big to go in an mr1. Also my.plans were just using a horizontal action not a clapper. Is there a reason y I should choose the latter? Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:02 PM #6
catrease01

Awesome response so definatley a clapper. Now then one last question these switches, will it b three separate pieces or do they sell one that has three inputs and one output on the other end? I was trying to do it the arduino way but I could figure out the language for.it Myself and every post in their forums just got replies that were one part english and 4 parts robot. It just wasny clicking for me. Im gonna order some parts and post when theres and update
Old 10-25-2013, 01:51 PM #7
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
It would be three separate switches. The switch for the trigger would be a simple contact switch or button style microswitch (i like micro switches, they click), radio shack would have them. The switch to determine whether or not a ball is there would be more complicated to wire in because a break beam switch (you can also find at radio shack by the way) may require a separate power source. The final switch could take many forms, another break beam to determine that the hammer or bolt has moved. Another contact for the hammer, bolt, or sear to hit.

[Battery]-----[Ball sensor (closed when a ball is present)]----[Trigger sensor (closed when trigger is pulled)]-------[Action sensor (normally closed, opens when the marker cycles)]-------[Solenoid]

If you really want to have some fun research hal effect sensors.
Lover of All Things Paintball
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:23 PM #8
HollowLefty
Falls down a lot

as for using an arduino controller, size isn't an issue if you go for one of the miniature boards. they sell for about ten bucks and are smaller than most existing gun boards. that would enable you to add programming as you get around to it and give you a lot more versatility in your setup

"Is it an o ring?"

"No, It's ALL the o rings!"
HollowLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:37 PM #9
catrease01

So many options thanks guys ill post back with results