Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-12-2013, 10:12 PM #1
tchs_drummer06
1+1+1=2

Chromebooks - Has anyone bought/used one?

I bought a Samsung ARM Chromebook on 12/17 and received it on 12/21. From then to now, I've only booted up my old personal laptop once, just to host some photos.

This thing's pretty cool. I pretty much only use my personal computer to BS around on the internet from the recliner, so a Chromebook was perfect. The Samsung version is fanless, and uses an SSD, so there are no moving parts.

They're not terribly popular, but I was just interested in seeing if there was anyone else on here with some interest in them.
tchs_drummer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2013, 01:28 AM #2
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk

Just get a netbook or nice tablet. Best bet is an ultrabook if you have the cash, chromebooks cant even use netflix

Edit- im glad you like yours alot, but IMO i would have went with a nexus 7 for just putzing around the web. The only thing i have against chromebooks is that if they did have all the capabilities of a netbook, you would just get a netbook..if that makes sense

Last edited by AuxiliaryPie : 01-13-2013 at 01:31 AM.
AuxiliaryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 AM #3
venice empire77
_________

venice empire77 plays in the PSP
venice empire77 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
I like them. Gonna be snagging up a C7 soon to upgrade. I would get the Samsung but they don't allow for hardware upgrades like the Acer.

:edit: Just put a different OS on it if chrome OS doesn't allow things you dont like.
venice empire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:16 AM #4
Twizy

Twizy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Twizy supports Team VICIOUS
Tablets > *

I read something the other day that because of tablets, netbooks have pretty much become obsolete.
Twizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 AM #5
Burninator
Punisher of fleshlights

Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is a Mega Moderator
Burninator is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Burninator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Burninator has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Burninator is Legendary
chromebooks seem to be all the rage. So many people came in looking for them for christmas
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 AM #6
tchs_drummer06
1+1+1=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxiliaryPie View Post
Just get a netbook or nice tablet. Best bet is an ultrabook if you have the cash, chromebooks cant even use netflix

Edit- im glad you like yours alot, but IMO i would have went with a nexus 7 for just putzing around the web. The only thing i have against chromebooks is that if they did have all the capabilities of a netbook, you would just get a netbook..if that makes sense
The biggest advantage to a Chromebook over a netbook is they keyboard. Most netbooks have the worst keyboards in the history of the world. The keyboard on the Samsung is awesome.

I didn't buy it because I needed a cheap computer. I just wanted a new techno-device to goof around with. I actually didn't expect to like it as much as I have.

Of the three or four different varieties of the Chromebook, only the Samsung ARM version is unable to use Netflix.

See below for my opinion regarding tablets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizy View Post
Tablets > *

I read something the other day that because of tablets, netbooks have pretty much become obsolete.
I've already had a tablet once (Android, it was GB, but there was a good ROM community). I sold it after about a year because tablets just don't work for me. No doubt that they've very popular, and they seem to work for a large number of people, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
chromebooks seem to be all the rage. So many people came in looking for them for christmas
I see a lot of people saying this over on the Google support forums, too. It's so weird to hear that, because most people literally have no idea what I'm talking about when I refer to a Chromebook.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:01 PM #7
venice empire77
_________

venice empire77 plays in the PSP
venice empire77 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizy View Post
Tablets > *

Chromebooks > Netbook

I had a netbook for quite a bit. Just used my main box instead most of the time.
venice empire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 PM #8
tchs_drummer06
1+1+1=2

Most netbooks were also 9" or 10", whereas the smallest Chromebook is 11.6"

Obviously the 11.6" form factor is awesome, otherwise Apple wouldn't make it, right?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:51 PM #9
zkorAVALS
4T3HLULZ

IMO Chromebook is the new generation of Netbook.
The only difference is that Chromebooks will get better with time, and netbooks were a failed idea.
A heavily underpowered device is unpleasant to use.
I personally prefer to lug around my 5 pound Samsung Chronos 7, knowing that I can bust out Adobe Premiere if I wanted to.
Totally IMO though. I know that a lot of people don't agree with this.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:17 PM #10
tchs_drummer06
1+1+1=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkorAVALS View Post
IMO Chromebook is the new generation of Netbook.
The only difference is that Chromebooks will get better with time, and netbooks were a failed idea.
A heavily underpowered device is unpleasant to use.
I personally prefer to lug around my 5 pound Samsung Chronos 7, knowing that I can bust out Adobe Premiere if I wanted to.
Totally IMO though. I know that a lot of people don't agree with this.
That is the exception, and not the rule, though. That's what is interesting to me about the Chromebook. Of computer users (personal use), I'd bet that 75% use nothing more than an office suite and a web browser.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:01 AM #11
zkorAVALS
4T3HLULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchs_drummer06 View Post
That is the exception, and not the rule, though. That's what is interesting to me about the Chromebook. Of computer users (personal use), I'd bet that 75% use nothing more than an office suite and a web browser.
Exactly. They work for most people, but I just hate the idea of having something that will be useless in a dire time.
Personally i'd rather have a tablet for browsing/office suite items, and my laptop as my power machine.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 AM #12
NCpaintballer
Zerokidz

NCpaintballer supports Team VICIOUS
NCpaintballer plays in the APPA D4 division
NCpaintballer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxiliaryPie View Post

Uhhh, since when can Chromebooks not use netflix? I use netflix on mine all the time.

TBH I wouldn't put a netbook anywhere in the same league as a Chromebook. Have you ever used a netbook? They are honestly painful to use. A slow underpowered laptop with a tiny keyboard is not a fun experience.

I've had a Chromebook since the 2nd gen Samsung with Atom processor and 3G data. I had a friend get one of the free prototype CR-48's and that is what really sold me on it. At the time I bought mine they were expensive (~$500) but also pretty unpopular. I got mine off CL for about half the price. Ebay also has pretty good deals on them where you can get NIB/gently used for way below retail. They are starting to get more popular so the deals are starting to dwindle a bit .

I also have an XPS that I bought for android development but I still use the Chromebook 90% of the time. It's boots in about 2 seconds, insane battery, super quick, and has free 3G if I'm ever out away from wifi. I'm a big google services user so other than needing eclipse or photoshop it suits just about every need I have.

I think for the general public out there it is an ideal laptop. There is a reason why the netbook has all but disappeared from store shelves and I think it's unfair to really compare the two.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 AM #13
tchs_drummer06
1+1+1=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaintballer View Post
Uhhh, since when can Chromebooks not use netflix? I use netflix on mine all the time.

TBH I wouldn't put a netbook anywhere in the same league as a Chromebook. Have you ever used a netbook? They are honestly painful to use. A slow underpowered laptop with a tiny keyboard is not a fun experience.

I've had a Chromebook since the 2nd gen Samsung with Atom processor and 3G data. I had a friend get one of the free prototype CR-48's and that is what really sold me on it. At the time I bought mine they were expensive (~$500) but also pretty unpopular. I got mine off CL for about half the price. Ebay also has pretty good deals on them where you can get NIB/gently used for way below retail. They are starting to get more popular so the deals are starting to dwindle a bit .

I also have an XPS that I bought for android development but I still use the Chromebook 90% of the time. It's boots in about 2 seconds, insane battery, super quick, and has free 3G if I'm ever out away from wifi. I'm a big google services user so other than needing eclipse or photoshop it suits just about every need I have.

I think for the general public out there it is an ideal laptop. There is a reason why the netbook has all but disappeared from store shelves and I think it's unfair to really compare the two.
The newest one (which I have, the Samsung with the ARM processor), is not compatible with it. Because of that, people think that none of them work with it, when that particular model is the only one. I'm confident that will get sorted out in time, though.

I'm always amused by the netbook comparison, too. I guess people see a small computer and think netbook. On my CB, here are some differences from a netbook: larger screen, full size keyboard, no bloaty OS. The specs aren't THAT much higher, but it obviously takes much less power to run Chrome OS than Windows.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 PM #14
ilovejesus
carry the zero

I've been enjoying mine greatly. I start school Tuesday, and that's when the real test for it starts. I have a good desktop PC, and really only needed something at school that has a keyboard because my hands cramp like crazy writing notes during lectures, and I didn't enjoy typing with anything on the iPad.
█░░░████░█░░█░░█░░░░█░░█░████░█░░█░████░░
███░█░░█░███░░░█░░░░████░█░░█░████░█░░█░░
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

"Originally posted by DayoftheGreek: I have to rub the flower penis onto the flower vaginas."
ilovejesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:40 PM #15
NCpaintballer
Zerokidz

NCpaintballer supports Team VICIOUS
NCpaintballer plays in the APPA D4 division
NCpaintballer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchs_drummer06 View Post
The newest one (which I have, the Samsung with the ARM processor), is not compatible with it. Because of that, people think that none of them work with it, when that particular model is the only one. I'm confident that will get sorted out in time, though.

I'm always amused by the netbook comparison, too. I guess people see a small computer and think netbook. On my CB, here are some differences from a netbook: larger screen, full size keyboard, no bloaty OS. The specs aren't THAT much higher, but it obviously takes much less power to run Chrome OS than Windows.
Didn't know that about the newer ones. I know the early CR-48's couldn't run Netflix when they first came out either but it was fixed a few months later.

Saw they came out with a new Chrome OS desktop with an i5, kinda wonder what's the point with something that powerful