Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-11-2013, 11:58 PM #1
IRobertus

Tippman 98 E-Bolt with LPK issue

I recently came across an old Tippman 98 Custom with an E-Bolt and LPK and decided I was going to make it the 98 I always dreamed of. When I first bought the gun it shot fine so I decided to upgrade it with everything I could buy.

After replacing the shell, rebuilding the valve, installing a male Palmers and installing a cyclone feed system I started running in to an issue with bolt chops. I have tried removing the cyclone, 2 different bolt/power tube combos and even putting all the parts back in the old shell but the gun keeps chopping paint at the bolt at any rate of fire.

The breaks are definitely at bolt and not in the cyclone itself as it would break paint even on the second or third shot using the cyclone or a halo (side feed) hopper. I am assuming that I need to adjust the dwell or possibly the psi on the reg but nothing I do seems to help.

Gun is currently running around 290 psi on the Palmers and when it shoots (without breaks) it's great. My only thought is when I rebuilt the dirty valve I threw off the pressure and possibly the bolt is not returning all the way before it tries to shoot again.

I know there are some experts still around and was hoping that someone might be able to give me some advice on dwell setting with the LPK installed. Or if it's even a dwell issue at all.

Just to clarify it is a stock Tippmann Ebolt, Tippmann LPK and the chops do not seem to be related to ROF as it will break at the bolt even while shooting slowly. Also I am using a pure energy HPA steel tank.

Any advice is much appreciated as I have a practically brand new looking 98 custom that turns into a paint sprayer anytime I use it now! I spent way too much money on this gun and if I can't figure it out I'm just going to have to throw the bolt on eBay and I would hate to give up on it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by IRobertus : 01-14-2013 at 02:34 AM.
IRobertus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2013, 10:28 PM #2
darkburner

darkburner owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Ive never used a low pressure kit with a cyclone however i could guess it wont respond the way it was intended while on low pressure, and as for halo and elbow, when i had my 98 the same way u did i had same problems unless my halo force feed string was spun strong. if my hopper lost its string of pressure, boom breach break, now eyes could solve that, or perhaps a rufusdawg center feed could increase the flow to breach for the halo. is the paint brittle? does it seem like a pinch inbetween the bolt and body or just a all out splat fest?
darkburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 PM #3
darkburner

darkburner owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
almost forgot, check that detent as well
darkburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 AM #4
IRobertus

I dont think the break is feed related as when it chops it leaves no paint in the hopper and it will chop even when shooting slowly. I have ran cyclones on Low Pressure before (A5) without any issues and I really think its just a matter of calibrating everything right. I have owned many mechanical/E-gripped Tippmann's so I am very confident in getting them to work properly but since this is my first attempt at a E-Bolt I am at a bit of a loss of how to calibrate the dwell or if thats even where the issue is.

Thank you for the suggestions though and I really do appreciate the response.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:37 PM #5
$Praetorian$
Wanna see my Junk mail?

$Praetorian$ is playing at Living Legends VII
$Praetorian$ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
$Praetorian$ supports Team VICIOUS
$Praetorian$ has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
have you thought about adjusting your Regulator on the ASA to go higher, then lowering your pressure on your Palmer?

Also what barrel are you using? Have you thought about switching to a regular stock barrel just for testing purposes?
$Praetorian$ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 PM #6
IRobertus

It turns out after all of that it was 3 seperate boxes of "defective" paint. Started going to a new store and with the new paint I am not breaking anything.