Get a z2. If you run into any issues Kee will fix them for free 95% of the time
millerkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 AM #4
pbbuddy12
I'm more of a 3 wire guy

pbbuddy12 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
pbbuddy12 supports Pev's Paintball
pbbuddy12 is Legendary
Had a rotor and liked it, dropped it for a z2 which i used for one day and went back to the rotor and then when the spire came out switched over and haven't looked back.

It's pnnation, people will always be a diehard fan of only one product. For me to z2 has too many small pieces and while it was a nice upgrade from the halo design I grew up with the simplicity of the rotor won me over. My recommendation is find one used in nice shape and use it a few weekends. Worst case it's not exactly what you want and trade or sell it for something else, and if you buy smart can do all that while not spending anything other then maybe shipping and even possibly making a few bucks.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:57 AM #5
ROCKNROLLA

ROCKNROLLA plays in the PSP
ROCKNROLLA owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ROCKNROLLA plays in the APPA D4 division
ROCKNROLLA supports DLX Technology
Spires are great. easy disassembly, holds more paint than a rotor, and its lower profile, has a larger feed, quick switch between rain and speed feeds the list just goes on. only thing rotor has on the spire is battery life IMO

Last edited by ROCKNROLLA : 07-23-2013 at 10:59 AM.
ROCKNROLLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 AM #6
walleye1795

Sweet thanks for all the information! I have heard many a horror story about both the rotor jamming and the spire just plain not working. Its nice to hear the pros for both!
walleye1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:40 PM #7
frenchy2475

frenchy2475 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
frenchy2475 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
frenchy2475 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye1795 View Post
Sweet thanks for all the information! I have heard many a horror story about both the rotor jamming and the spire just plain not working. Its nice to hear the pros for both!

I had a rotor and suffered from jams, many people don't. I switched to the spire no jams and no issues at all and I had one of the first runs of them.

I think the pulsing issues some people are having are just teething problems you can get with any new product. Virtue stand by their product 100% and are sorting these issues.
frenchy2475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:46 PM #8
rkenders
Northern Colorado

Rotor...occasional jams on cheap paint, just get the the virtue soft arm if you have jams and you are done. After that I never had a jam again. The rotor is amazingly good on battery usage. I turn mine off at the end of the day and otherwise leave it on all day. Even then batteries last several months. Other than the LED the rotor is effectively taking no power as long as the ball stack remains under tension. It only runs when the ball stack is being used. When the batteries get low, the Rotor will just get sluggish or not feed well. Easy to clean or work on. The Rotor will just run making a humming sound when it has no paint in it. This can give away that you are out of paint if someone is listening for the sound.

Spire...smarter than the Rotor so it dejams itself and uses sound to activate the motor. Effectively the Spire is drawing power all the time, but uses more when the gun is shooting so battery usage is more than the Rotor. The Spire speed feed comes off really easily to swap for a rain lid and opens so you can dump paint in back at your pit without going through the speed feed. Low batteries show as an LED color change. Holds more paint than the rotor and a little lower profile. Easy to clean or work on. When empty the loader is silent or pulses a little.

Both loaders work well.

Last edited by rkenders : 07-23-2013 at 05:51 PM.
rkenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 AM #9
Paint_hore
PBN=SUA syndrome

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I bet nobody has made a thread like this before.

Rediscover: "its good to see you didnt take any flying metal objects to your juggular." 13pbstar13: "I dont have tits bro" (true story)
Paint_hore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 AM #10
Gilbert-0

Gilbert-0 owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Im looking to get a spire or rotor and from what iv seen there are big groups of rotor and spire fans. They are both great hoppers so pick the one thats right for you. i am prob going to buy a spire but you pick wut u want
Gilbert-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:47 AM #11
JasionoX666X
Silver Snake

JasionoX666X owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JasionoX666X owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
JasionoX666X has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
JasionoX666X is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
JasionoX666X is Legendary
JasionoX666X is attending Decay of Nations VII
I heard in multiple reviews that the rotor requires tilting to get the hopper to feed the last of the balls.

Also, some people complained that when diving, the rotor just popped open, on several occasions. Maybe they got a bad egg out of the production line, which happens.
JasionoX666X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 AM #12
JasionoX666X
Silver Snake

JasionoX666X owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JasionoX666X owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
JasionoX666X has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
JasionoX666X is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
JasionoX666X is Legendary
JasionoX666X is attending Decay of Nations VII

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkenders View Post
Rotor...occasional jams on cheap paint, just get the the virtue soft arm if you have jams and you are done. After that I never had a jam again. The rotor is amazingly good on battery usage. I turn mine off at the end of the day and otherwise leave it on all day. Even then batteries last several months. Other than the LED the rotor is effectively taking no power as long as the ball stack remains under tension. It only runs when the ball stack is being used. When the batteries get low, the Rotor will just get sluggish or not feed well. Easy to clean or work on. The Rotor will just run making a humming sound when it has no paint in it. This can give away that you are out of paint if someone is listening for the sound.

Spire...smarter than the Rotor so it dejams itself and uses sound to activate the motor. Effectively the Spire is drawing power all the time, but uses more when the gun is shooting so battery usage is more than the Rotor. The Spire speed feed comes off really easily to swap for a rain lid and opens so you can dump paint in back at your pit without going through the speed feed. Low batteries show as an LED color change. Holds more paint than the rotor and a little lower profile. Easy to clean or work on. When empty the loader is silent or pulses a little.

Both loaders work well.
JasionoX666X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:17 PM #13
rkenders
Northern Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasionoX666X View Post
I heard in multiple reviews that the rotor requires tilting to get the hopper to feed the last of the balls.

Also, some people complained that when diving, the rotor just popped open, on several occasions. Maybe they got a bad egg out of the production line, which happens.

I've never had a problem with my rotor not feeding the last few balls. Usually I don't notice that I'm nearly empty until the loader starts humming. If the lock on the top isn't pushed down all the way, then the top can be popped off. If the lock is down, there's virtually no way to rip the top off the loader.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:35 PM #14
Leut.Dan

Leut.Dan supports DLX Technology
thanks for all the info. looking into the spires.
Leut.Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:23 AM #15
pbbuddy12
I'm more of a 3 wire guy

pbbuddy12 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasionoX666X View Post
I have had this happen with my spire a decent number of times but never with my rotor, bar some very odd situation where I'm shooting pointing downhill or something. Bought the ramp for my spire this week so will see how that works tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:35 PM #16
FXBaller

FXBaller is for the Gunfight
FXBaller is for the Gunfight
FXBaller has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
FXBaller has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Rotor, proven technology... No gimmicks, just a hopper. Most consistent hopper ever. Spire will hiccup... And the constant spinning is annoying, especially when there's balls in the stack and yes, they do that sometimes. Spire is a little easier to take apart. Both extremely easy and waterproof. Spire has bigger opening but you don't need it that big when you have the pod ledge thing that stops you from missing super bad. Go with rotor. Look at pros choices, most are rotors.
Diversity #02
FXBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:54 AM #17
pbbuddy12
I'm more of a 3 wire guy

pbbuddy12 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXBaller View Post
Rotor, proven technology... No gimmicks, just a hopper. Most consistent hopper ever. Spire will hiccup... And the constant spinning is annoying, especially when there's balls in the stack and yes, they do that sometimes. Spire is a little easier to take apart. Both extremely easy and waterproof. Spire has bigger opening but you don't need it that big when you have the pod ledge thing that stops you from missing super bad. Go with rotor. Look at pros choices, most are rotors.
Haha that was a fun read.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:15 PM #18
STRIP3S
Stumpf

STRIP3S plays in the PSP
STRIP3S owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
STRIP3S owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
STRIP3S plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXBaller View Post
Definitely stick with the rotor. I have used the rotor, z2, and spire; of those three, the rotor gave me the least amount of problems. There was one point where my rotor failed to work and I completely stripped it down on the field. Turns out there was a swelled ball that would not unjam. The whole thing took me a matter of seconds and I was back in the game. Hands down the best loader money can buy.
XFT

GEARBAG SALE - TOO MANY ITEMS TO LIST
STRIP3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:40 PM #19
Person

Person is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRIP3S View Post
Turns out there was a swelled ball that would not unjam.
Needing to completely dismantled a hopper in the middle of a game is ridiculous. My rotor, and my friends rotor would just do this "occasionally" it wasn't predictable and as far as I know is not preventable. It just happens sometimes.

My Prophecy, and my Z2 have never had a jam that didn't auto umjam after a moment or two of hiccupping, and if ever the hopper didn't automatically unjam itself, I could easily have just spun the zip drive.

Rotors are easier to work on, but Prophecies and Z2's are plenty easy too, and are more reliable on the field. Plus have a better lid and are lighter. Not as robust physically, but very durable compared to older halos.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:24 PM #20
rjsonne54
Best Coast is no Coast

Annual Supporting Member
rjsonne54 posts videos on PbNation
rjsonne54 is an NCPA player
rjsonne54 plays in the APPA D4 division
rjsonne54 is a top reviewer
rjsonne54 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerkiller View Post
Get a z2. If you run into any issues Kee will fix them for free 95% of the time
if you run into an issue with the spire, virtue will fix them 100% of the time.

TEAM VIDEO HERE!!!

MIDWEST MAYHEM
SDSU JACKRABBITS
rjsonne54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:32 PM #21
rjsonne54
Best Coast is no Coast

Annual Supporting Member
rjsonne54 posts videos on PbNation
rjsonne54 is an NCPA player
rjsonne54 plays in the APPA D4 division
rjsonne54 is a top reviewer
rjsonne54 is Legendary
if you don't want your hopper to jam ever, get a spire. people say that more pros are using rotors than spires? that's because rotors have been around a lot longer. spires are new and not a lot of people have had a chance to try them out. spires are so easy to work with and very simple to maintain or fix(if need be). virtue has awesome customer service. the spring finger speed feed is awesome and changes quickly. hands down the spire is way better.

TEAM VIDEO HERE!!!

MIDWEST MAYHEM
SDSU JACKRABBITS
rjsonne54 is offline   Reply With Quote