Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 PM #127
cream

cream plays in the PSP
cream is an NCPA player
cream plays in the APPA D4 division
speaking on behalf of one of cts lower division teams, TNNK D3, our main problem is money. Just getting a group of 10 guys that have the money and time (mostly job depending) to compete in 2-3 psp's is not easy. even one event is a strain, atleast for me as a college student. We've managed to scrape together enough for one event each of the last two summers and hopefully we can do 2-3 (realistically 2) this season
TNNK - PPTF #12
Matts Outback
Phamous
CXI Photography

UCONN #12
cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 AM #128
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

has been a member for 10 years
4x4 rider plays in the PSP
4x4 rider plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post
speaking on behalf of one of cts lower division teams, TNNK D3, our main problem is money. Just getting a group of 10 guys that have the money and time (mostly job depending) to compete in 2-3 psp's is not easy. even one event is a strain, atleast for me as a college student. We've managed to scrape together enough for one event each of the last two summers and hopefully we can do 2-3 (realistically 2) this season
No offense, but from the outside looking in it seems like there is not much organization with your team either. I could be wrong, but that's just from what I've seen.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

NEAA-2011 foXball Champs!

Aftermath fan club member #80
UpTon 187 cRew fan club member #15
4x4 rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:53 PM #129
bshort524
All Grey! Sweatsuit!

bshort524 plays in the PSP
bshort524 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
bshort524 plays in the APPA D4 division
when the outback was active with the no name feeder teams we were. but with the money problems a bunch of us played the first two foxball minors and psp chicago with invasion. but yes we're essentially turning into a team that only practices when events roll around

but to be fair, most teams' goals are to play a national event. the majority of the NE teams drop thousands playing locals, which is great dont get me wrong, but then are **** out of luck when its time for PSP or NPPL. in that respect our organization is on point
Team No Name Kids #3
PPTF
Matt's Outback
Kee/Empire
Raza Paintball

Last edited by bshort524 : 01-26-2013 at 02:30 PM.
bshort524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:35 PM #130
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

haha I guess
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 AM #131
booboodinosaur

booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
can someone pm me the cost per player playing world cup?
booboodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 AM #132
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by booboodinosaur View Post
can someone pm me the cost per player playing world cup?
Lots of variables.

What division and how many players on the team (adjusts share of entry fee).
How many players per hotel room (and do you want nice or cheap)
Where are you flying from

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 PM #133
booboodinosaur

booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Pming.
booboodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:59 PM #134
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Annual Supporting Member
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
Fox4paintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
Fox4paintball plays in the PSP
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Fox4paintball plays in the APPA D4 division
There are several housing options in and around the Orlando area. You can get something for the entire team (4 bedroom condo) for $100 a night if you look.
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Fox4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 PM #135
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
Another big thing, IMHO, is that the NPPL and PSP do NOT have any of their events in the New England area. Here in Maryland teams have the luxury to have a national (two last year) event within driving distance so they can afford to try it out.... Just think, if the PSP were to hold an event at Marynard then it would be flooded with New England teams. If one of those teams were to take 1st place they would have the reassurance and a compelling reason to go national. As it is right now, it is a huge expense to try something new with an unknown outcome.

And on another note, from what I have seen it is clearly not because there is a lack of talent. Some of the most talented players I have ever played with or against have been in New England.
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM #136
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Annual Supporting Member
We've been fortunate enough the past two years with the PSP holding events at Topgun and OXCC - both within driving distance of New England. By being able to drive teams are able to save $250 (or more) per player on airfare and then not have to rent cars when you get there.

As long as the PSP continues to keep event 4 within a reasonable driving distance for New England I believe they'll continue to get the team turnout from our region that they have in the past few years.
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 PM #137
Sniper71
Shooting fools since 92

Sniper71 plays in the PSP
Sniper71 plays in the APPA D4 division
It was interesting to see the lower number of teams from around here that went to cup this year, 5 maybe ? Versus last year which was around 17 I believe. Im not sure what caused the swing though, does it boil down to economics ?
New England Blizzard-Captain/Owner
Sniper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 PM #138
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
We've been fortunate enough the past two years with the PSP holding events at Topgun and OXCC - both within driving distance of New England. By being able to drive teams are able to save $250 (or more) per player on airfare and then not have to rent cars when you get there.

As long as the PSP continues to keep event 4 within a reasonable driving distance for New England I believe they'll continue to get the team turnout from our region that they have in the past few years.
Right, but the teams here in MD don't even need hotels or to spend more then 2 hours in the car to get there. It is a no brainer for them and almost every team in the area plays the MAO or equivalent... while your previous post does bring to light that housing can be cheap. I dunno, there is without a doubt way more teams here that play at least the MAO then in New England and I believe a big part of it is that its in our own back yard.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 PM #139
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE
Playoffs??? PLAYOFFS!!??

AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is a Supporting Member
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE plays in the PSP
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is Boss
even if they held an event in boston, most people in the new england area would get a hotel near the field. when i played nppl boston in 06 we all got a hotel room right outside gillette stadium. who wants to drive 2.5 hours both ways? id be willing most everyone from central mass did as well. hotel costs are associated with any large tournament regardless of location.
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:43 PM #140
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
What I am trying to say is that the teams here get the luxury of having a PSP event at a local field. The same field they go to every weekend to practice. They don't need to make any special plans or even travel to an unknown place to compete, they just go to the same old field they are used to and have played on for years. (OK ok I know I over simplified this but I hope you get my point)
Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 PM #141
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC001 View Post
What I am trying to say is that the teams here get the luxury of having a PSP event at a local field. The same field they go to every weekend to practice. They don't need to make any special plans or even travel to an unknown place to compete, they just go to the same old field they are used to and have played on for years. (OK ok I know I over simplified this but I hope you get my point)
I got your point, makes a lot of sense. Way cheaper if a national event was held 30 minutes from my house, I would play it every year, instead of now debating if we should drive or fly and all that bs.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 AM #142
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC001 View Post
I understood what you where saying. I just don't see that as practical. there is no field in New England that can handle a PSP event. It's very possible they could find a non paintball location though.

However, even if they did I would still get a hotel room for my guys - it's part of the "National" experience - getting everyone together every night - reviewing game plans, eating dinner together, etc...

I find the events held at Topgun or OXCC make sense as it allows the teams from New England to drive down as well as teams from upstate New York and many other surrounding areas - maximizing the potential customer base of "Local" teams.
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM #143
BK value
on the right track

A lot of people here have argued that money is the main issue keeping teams out of the upper divisions. While I totally agree that money is a HUGE factor for any team, lets not forget that these costs are roughly the same for any region. Yet, we still see an under-representation of New England in the higher divisions. You could point to weather impeding consistent year-round practice. However, there are multiple D1 teams coming from New Jersey/Long Island, where weather issues are very similar.

So the question remains, where are the higher division teams in New England?

I think this is something that is going to correct itself in the coming seasons. The success of 187 has opened the door to many of us looking to advance in the sport. New Englanders now know (that is truly believe, not idly wish) that it is possible to climb the ranks and reach the pro division. I believe now we will see a clamoring to be #2 in the region. Success brings more success. As each team independently tries to become the next best in the area, competition will rise, practices will get better, and in turn we'll see more high-division teams.

MY (old) FEEDBACK
BK value is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:38 PM #144
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK value View Post
A lot of people here have argued that money is the main issue keeping teams out of the upper divisions. While I totally agree that money is a HUGE factor for any team, lets not forget that these costs are roughly the same for any region. Yet, we still see an under-representation of New England in the higher divisions. You could point to weather impeding consistent year-round practice. However, there are multiple D1 teams coming from New Jersey/Long Island, where weather issues are very similar.
Are you suggesting that money is not the problem? I don't see any other single factor having such a large impact on it. Maybe it is just that the NJ/MD has more sugardaddies willing to fund national teams?

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:26 PM #145
Rique98
Gun Whore in Training

Rique98 plays in the PSP
Rique98 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Rique98 posts videos on PbNation
Rique98 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper71 View Post
It was interesting to see the lower number of teams from around here that went to cup this year, 5 maybe ? Versus last year which was around 17 I believe. Im not sure what caused the swing though, does it boil down to economics ?
I think it's just that not many teams could afford it as a whole, I personally attended and guested with a non- NE team. I know quite a few others that did the same.

Rique98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:31 PM #146
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

I was just taking a look at some old paintball videos, and I came across, Birth of a Storm Episode I, the Hurricanes tryouts. At that tryout it was known that the team was potentially going to be competing in PSP D1, and depending on their standings, jump to pro. Well, I also know who tried out for the already professional 187 crew (roughly 75 people) and it seems there were just as many at the Hurricanes tryout. Although, seeing faces from both, it seems to me that there was a higher talent turnout at the Hurricanes tryouts, no offense to the people at the 187 crew tryouts. I wonder why this is, the hurricanes tryout was 2 seasons prior? and then last year was 187s when they were already pro. The only thing I can say that contributed to the difference in talent pools at the tryouts is motivation, or players are comfortable where they are at, which would in turn lead back to motivation.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 PM #147
Evdawg105

Evdawg105 plays in the PSP
Evdawg105 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Evdawg105 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 rider View Post
I was just taking a look at some old paintball videos, and I came across, Birth of a Storm Episode I, the Hurricanes tryouts. At that tryout it was known that the team was potentially going to be competing in PSP D1, and depending on their standings, jump to pro. Well, I also know who tried out for the already professional 187 crew (roughly 75 people) and it seems there were just as many at the Hurricanes tryout. Although, seeing faces from both, it seems to me that there was a higher talent turnout at the Hurricanes tryouts, no offense to the people at the 187 crew tryouts. I wonder why this is, the hurricanes tryout was 2 seasons prior? and then last year was 187s when they were already pro. The only thing I can say that contributed to the difference in talent pools at the tryouts is motivation, or players are comfortable where they are at, which would in turn lead back to motivation.

Correct me if I am wrong, But wasn't the 2010 season the season when the Hurricane's had their try out? Acquiring a lot of "household" names to NE paintball. (BJ, Keith Devit, Pnut). And many other highly ranked NE based players. Playing two years D1. Simultaneously AVALANCHE moves from St. Louis to New England in 2011. And with that move acquiring a lot of the Hurricanes, to play PRO NPPL, as the team folded at the end of the 2011 season.

As the 2012 187 Open Try out comes around, many of the typical Local NE players who have the high level National experience are playing with AVALANCHE in the PRO NPPL. So as a result the try out had the highest available talent remaining, which was d2-d3 caliber teams/players. Hence why the try out had a lot of Foxball teams, TNN/TNNK players, and NEXL/NEPL players who were not already enrolled in the AVALANCHE feeder program.

That could have played a big factor in why there was a lesser turn out for the tryout numbers and skill wise. I must disagree Josh, I think people are still motivated, just at the time the highly motivated ones had been picked over. The next tier guys were all at the try out. Plus I like bustin your chops

UpTon Brawlers

Fox4 Paintball, Upton MA
Evdawg105 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups