Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Anything that gets people off their couches these days can be considered a sport I think. Sport is a very broad stroke term in this day and age.
Now if you will all excuse me, I have to practice eating five pounds of hot dogs in under ten minutes.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 PM #107
I'm_Addicted
snowman FTW

I'm_Addicted owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Now that we're pretty much completely off topic, lets focus back to the original post lol
I'm_Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:29 PM #108
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

has been a member for 10 years
4x4 rider plays in the PSP
4x4 rider plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm_Addicted View Post
Now that we're pretty much completely off topic, lets focus back to the original post lol
Agreed, we will discuss more at the field haha
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

NEAA-2011 foXball Champs!

Aftermath fan club member #80
UpTon 187 cRew fan club member #15
4x4 rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 PM #109
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Back to the topic at hand... It seems pretty clear that the primary issue is money (hence my original post six pages back, lol).

Anyone got any bright ideas to bring more money into the sport? Other than my idea of getting kids with rich parents into the sport, of course.

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM #110
NTran

Annual Supporting Member
NTran is a Professional paintball player
NTran plays in the PSP
NTran owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NTran plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumorai View Post
Back to the topic at hand... It seems pretty clear that the primary issue is money (hence my original post six pages back, lol).

Anyone got any bright ideas to bring more money into the sport? Other than my idea of getting kids with rich parents into the sport, of course.
So are we continuing with HIGHER divisional teams still?

Where are all the lower divisional teams that are trying to become higher divisional teams?
Now money is much more overrated in this situation.

As far as nationals go, I think a lot of teams WANT to commit to playing a lot of events.
Before committing that far, see if you can place in the top 4 of ONE event first.

Try to win 1 before you try to win 5.

I've changed my order.

1. Organization
2. Organization
3. Organization
4. Organization
5. Players
6. Money
UpTon 187 cRew - #4, Coach/Manager
Fox 4 Paintball * Planet Eclipse * G.I. SPORTZ

PM me if you want to set up a TEAM Clinic or INDIVIDUAL Clinic with 187.

Last edited by NTran : 01-25-2013 at 12:59 PM.
NTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 PM #111
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
Do we want to see more HIGHER divisional teams? Or SUCCESSFUL divisional teams? I'd argue the the latter will lead to the former.

In terms of national paintball, I see two ladders of progression: rising through the ranks of divisional play to reach pro, and once you're in pro you're climbing a mountain trying to reach the top.

It seems like a lot of people want to bypass that first bit and jump straight into Pro. You guys, 187 cRew, are lauded for being a Pro team now, but I think it's more important that you guys put in the time in divisional play and were highly successful doing so. I think if there's anything players in New England should mimic about 187, it's the slow, successful progression through the divisional ranks and your solid work ethic. That all seems to be overshadowed by the word "PRO" now, though.

If there was a formula for being a successful team, I'd say it would involve playing one or more seasons locally together, with minimal roster changes, so you can build yourselves into a solid, winning team. THEN start nationally at the bottom of the ladder and work your way up.

I think there's enough talent in New England to build a few successful D3 teams. It's just a matter of having the right organization.

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
Old 01-25-2013, 01:47 PM #112
The_Fresh
Trollin' the trolls.

Annual Supporting Member
The_Fresh plays in the PSP
The_Fresh plays in the APPA D4 division
The_Fresh has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
The_Fresh supports DLX Technology
The_Fresh supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTran View Post
So are we continuing with HIGHER divisional teams still?

Where are all the lower divisional teams that are trying to become higher divisional teams?
Now money is much more overrated in this situation.

As far as nationals go, I think a lot of teams WANT to commit to playing a lot of events.
Before committing that far, see if you can place in the top 4 of ONE event first.

Try to win 1 before you try to win 5.

I've changed my order.

1. Organization
2. Organization
3. Organization
4. Organization
5. Players
6. Money
this is spot on. i can't tell you how many times I see this. So many kids hopping between teams, no organization with the teams, money problems, not committing to a team just themselves. millions of reasons. Also, it's hard to practice all year. Only indoor place is boston, outside in the snow is a joke to play. guys like me on the west side of ct have nothing for speedball or indoor ball and i have to drive 3-4 hours for indoor in the offseason
Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 PM #113
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Annual Supporting Member
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
Fox4paintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
Fox4paintball plays in the PSP
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Fox4paintball plays in the APPA D4 division
Actually - outdoor practice in the winter time is what lead to our D1 and 1st year in PRO - I think you get out of practice what you put into practice.

Our year in D2 we actually skipped the first event and started our serious practice at the end of March/Early April.
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Fox4paintball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:57 PM #114
discohawk

discohawk has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumorai View Post

I'd gather a lot of the money concerns tie back to the change of the sport marketing. It used to be marketed to adults, but now primarily to younger people. Nothing wrong with that, but a Junior in high school won't have the same income than a post-college guy working full time. And older guys are less inclined to play a younger sport than vice versa. So if the sport wants to see more money the various manufacturers and fields should start promoting it more to people that have more money to play around with.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
discohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:03 PM #115
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
Did the marketing target younger players instead of adults? Or did the average player get younger over time, and thus the marketing adjusted to the market (younger player base)?

But back to the money issue... When teams were primarily filled with older players, obviously there was more disposable income available. When you have a team with all 20- or 30-somethings with jobs, then the impact of the expenses is obviously lessened. Now you have a lot of teenage players, who may be great, but their participation is tied to their parents' willingness to pay their way (for the most part).

Last edited by sumorai : 01-25-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:07 PM #116
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE
Playoffs??? PLAYOFFS!!??

AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is a Supporting Member
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE plays in the PSP
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is Boss
id say the player base as a whole got younger, and id say that started around 2001. i can remember going to hogans back then and seeing kids my age *13 at the time* all over the place. of course we all grew up at the same rate, but the groups of guys in the older 20's for the most part disappeared into the woods, or from the field entirely by about 2006-7. then with the economy tanking, that obviously caused a huge set back but thats another story.
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:09 PM #117
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by discohawk View Post

I'd gather a lot of the money concerns tie back to the change of the sport marketing. It used to be marketed to adults, but now primarily to younger people. Nothing wrong with that, but a Junior in high school won't have the same income than a post-college guy working full time. And older guys are less inclined to play a younger sport than vice versa. So if the sport wants to see more money the various manufacturers and fields should start promoting it more to people that have more money to play around with.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Your spot on there. Mommy and daddies money to buy a brand new gun only goes so far...
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 01-25-2013, 03:28 PM #118
daveumasspaint
NEVER STOP

daveumasspaint is an NCPA player
daveumasspaint plays in the APPA D4 division
I may not be the most experienced but I would say money is a big issue.
In my opinion if a college team took some of its funding at put it into playing a local league , maybe in a few years time they could be playing national.
Of course this takes alot of commitment but out of maybe 30 team kids , instead of putting another team in class A and spending thousands they could play local and over a period of time ask to travel national.
This could also help college kids become somewhat of a feeder to higher divisional teams
This does not really solve the matter but maybe it could help it alittle
I know most schools ( The big ones ) get thousands for playing in the NCPA.
I know its a long shot and definitely would be volatile as one bad team leader could probably destroy the team but its definitely possible.
Playground Kids
UMass Minutemen
Philadelphia Fear
Team No Name Crew

Last edited by daveumasspaint : 01-25-2013 at 03:40 PM.
daveumasspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 PM #119
cpbsag

cpbsag plays in the PSP
cpbsag owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cpbsag plays in the APPA D4 division
I believe that money has a lot to do with paintball as I see it as a luxury sport, but a sport nonetheless. however, as many have said before in this thread, if there is a will to play there is a way to find funds to get out there.

That being said, i started competing in tournies back in 04 until i went off to college in 07' and pretty much didnt play at all and didnt follow or keep up with the paintball scene while at school. it has been interesting seeing the evolution of the sport (egg hopper pun intended) coming back last summer and competing again. If i remember correctly, the overall cost of the sport was much higher back then than it is now. Those of us who were in the NH/MA area back then can remember Canobie Paintball's (and other fields') rediculously expensive costs for a case of paint. I do realize that the economy crashed and all that has a lot to do with everything but all im saying is that paintball seemed much more popular and competitive when it costed more rather than the "cheaper" present reality of the sport. This could have been influenced by many factors such as my generation growing up and out of the sport and much like someone said before me, the marketing has changed for better or for worse.

just my two cents...
Boston Menace #10 - 2012 NEPL D4 5man SEASON CHAMPS
2013 NEXL D3
2014 New England Elite
2015 Landslyde

Last edited by cpbsag : 01-25-2013 at 04:00 PM.
cpbsag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:32 PM #120
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

well, whens the last time you saw paintball equipment commercials or local tournament series commercials, or even paint commercials on nationally televised t.v. on a regular basis like I see nike, doritos, or car commercials, oh wait never. Thats the marketing flaw, no advertisement out of the realm of the sport means way less exposure and less people funneling to play or buy the equipment. If I asked my wife what kind of mask she would want to buy she wouldn't know a name of a damn one, but if I asked her whats the insurance company with the little green creature she would instantly know.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 01-25-2013, 04:35 PM #121
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE
Playoffs??? PLAYOFFS!!??

AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is Boss
ive seen those splatmasters on tv sort of often recently. i think those things have been a long time coming. a "proper" paintball gun that is perfect for entry level and younger players. its like the lazertag sets my parents would buy me when i was just a boy.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:58 PM #122
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdReNaLiN jUnKeE View Post
ive seen those splatmasters on tv sort of often recently. i think those things have been a long time coming. a "proper" paintball gun that is perfect for entry level and younger players. its like the lazertag sets my parents would buy me when i was just a boy.
I havent seen one commercial for them yet, granted I dont wathc tv a ton, so thats great that they are starting to advertise things like that. As for the laser tag, I honestly think thats what might have sparked my passion for paintball.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 01-25-2013, 05:05 PM #123
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE
Playoffs??? PLAYOFFS!!??

AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is Boss
i know its what got me in to it
Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 PM #124
EMSGuy24
no

EMSGuy24 plays in the PSP
EMSGuy24 plays in the APPA D4 division
They are great. My 6 year old has one along with my wife and I and I will tell you they are a blast... I mean what 6 year old doesn't like to shoot there parents, but we have so much fun playing with them...
EMSGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 PM #125
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE
Playoffs??? PLAYOFFS!!??

AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is Boss
do they hit hard? i havent been hit by one yet. i know their only supposed to shoot about 150fps but....i dont think ive ever been hit by a paintball that slow
Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 PM #126
EMSGuy24
no

EMSGuy24 plays in the PSP
EMSGuy24 plays in the APPA D4 division
No they don't. My some was shot. He didn't cry. Didn't even leave a mark. He had a heavy sweatshirt on... To me after be bunkered at 300fps these tickle.
EMSGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups