Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM #85
amontoya

100 Bucks says you guys wont play 3 psp's this year. Not hating on you guys but i cant see it. I cant see you guys affording it on top of practicing every week and playing every NEXL especially since I know you guys are crying broke already... Good luck though.

stein wanna take my bet??
amontoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2013, 02:35 PM #86
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Annual Supporting Member
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
Fox4paintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
Fox4paintball plays in the PSP
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Fox4paintball plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 rider View Post
We are not practicing regularly yet, we will be in the next month or so. Honestly, I personally, have tried to figure out the cheapest\best way for us to get better quicker, and be able to play atleast 4 of the PSPs by next season, and there is no cheaper way to do it from what I see, we are definitely open to suggestions. If you have any please PM me or hit me up on Facebook and we can brainstorm. We are really looking to take it to the next level, and give this region another nationally competitive team, but it's been a long bumpy road so far, and it just seems to get worse lol
The best thing to do to improve - put yourself in a position to be able to play the best available talent whenever possible. We, 187, struggled with that all last season so we've decided to try and focus our practices and get down to Tampa more often to play some of the best talent available.

Good Luck this season
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Fox4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:56 PM #87
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
The best thing to do to improve - put yourself in a position to be able to play the best available talent whenever possible. We, 187, struggled with that all last season so we've decided to try and focus our practices and get down to Tampa more often to play some of the best talent available.

Good Luck this season
Seems like the best bet for New England divisional teams wanting to excel in the PSP, in that case, would be to skip playing local tournaments (and drill instead), spend a few weekends down at OXCC, PAP or TopGun in the summer time and do some clinics locally with 187 whenever possible.

NEPb - Destructive Customs - Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:16 PM #88
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

has been a member for 10 years
4x4 rider plays in the PSP
4x4 rider plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumorai View Post

Seems like the best bet for New England divisional teams wanting to excel in the PSP, in that case, would be to skip playing local tournaments (and drill instead), spend a few weekends down at OXCC, PAP or TopGun in the summer time and do some clinics locally with 187 whenever possible.
Well, we are not going to be dumping as much money into rotations this year, that's for sure. We also are working things to try and practice some higher divisional teams on occasion. I will say one thing, I may have not become an allstar last season, but mentally, playing against 187 as much as we did last season helped me out so much, and the team. Thank you for the good luck Dave.

P.s. Anthony, I might take you up on that bet
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

NEAA-2011 foXball Champs!

Aftermath fan club member #80
UpTon 187 cRew fan club member #15
4x4 rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:41 PM #89
amontoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumorai View Post
This. The canes were doing it right when del hobbies was open and they would travel down to practice. Teams
Arnt gonna come up here so if you wanna practice against better teams you better be prepared to travel.

Josh what are these better divisional teams in the area that you plan on practicing against?? Last I knew bloodline was the only one in the area

Last edited by amontoya : 01-23-2013 at 04:47 PM.
amontoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 PM #90
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

Bloodline is one, others are not in this area. As for local practices we haven't planned out a set schedule yet, we should have that set in a couple weeks. I'm pushing towards once every month and a half or so to try and make the trip down to top gun, or meadowlands, but we will see. Anything can change overnight.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 PM #91
jmooney10

jmooney10 plays in the APPA D4 division
As the captain and owner of a lower division team I'm not speaking from a spot of experience but one thing I have noticed is that people are aware of the financial issues facing a team but hope that someone else will take care of them for them(not necessarily entire teams but certainly players). As a coach for 12 years in another sport I watched my athletes work to pay their way around the country and in some cases the world to compete in the sport they love. Not once did anyone ever look to have sponsors or financial backing other than their own. The culture seems to be different in paintball though.

I think the close proximity to the Pros(and their sponsorship deals) makes it seem more attainable and so we hope for those same deals. They don't seem as far away as say, a shoe deal with Nike.

This doesn't have much to do with the 'where have all the good teams gone?' topic but hey. There ya go.
jmooney10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 PM #92
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmooney10 View Post
As a coach for 12 years in another sport I watched my athletes work to pay their way around the country and in some cases the world to compete in the sport they love. Not once did anyone ever look to have sponsors or financial backing other than their own. The culture seems to be different in paintball though.
What other sport? Most are not nearly as expensive as paintball, as far as I'm aware.

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 PM #93
jmooney10

jmooney10 plays in the APPA D4 division
Fencing. Blows paintball out of the water. Especially for the good athletes. All the best fencing in the world is in Europe and so travel is done mostly overseas betwen October and July. Crazy flyer miles.
jmooney10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 AM #94
Q man
GNDB!

Annual Supporting Member
Q man plays in the PSP
Q man plays in the APPA D4 division
Q man has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Q man has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Q man has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Q man has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmooney10 View Post
Fencing. Blows paintball out of the water. Especially for the good athletes. All the best fencing in the world is in Europe and so travel is done mostly overseas betwen October and July. Crazy flyer miles.
Fencing will cost you 60$ a week just to practice?
$800-$1200 to do a National event?
You need to constantly buy new gear?

I am sure flying across the world will be big $$$.

Most non wealthy kids I would think have no interest in Fencing.
( Correct me if I am wrong) I always thought of fencing as something pushed on kids to do. Looks good on a Ivy League school Application.

Paintball is anybody's all time adrenaline high. Shooting at other people with out killing/repercussions like jail time.With all the games on the market that push war games on kids its no wonder we are such a loved sport.

Fact is the PARENTS say and believe paintball is not a sport and push other things on the kids like FOOTBALL/BASEBALL/ or whatever else that the parent did when he/she was growing up.

If it was up to the kids we would have tons more players in the sport. I deal with players on School teams that need to train/ etc. for the school team. When in fact they would rather be on the field shooting paint.

Running a divisional team is hard enough. I can only imagine how it would be to deal with running a pro team.

A successful team is not always a winning team in my eyes. If you have a group of guys that will follow you through the depths of hell through w/e that comes along, THEN YOU HAVE A SUCCESSFUL TEAM. When you become a family, a brotherhood.
Money will always be a issue for players. Plus the consent loss of players due to new priorities like Car, wife, kids, or even the younger kids that want to chase poo tang more than shoot people. Then the kids moving away to college in other states and the loss to experimenting with drugs in college or high school kids getting bad grades.

We need to push the splatmasters on the kids now if we want to continue the sport in the right direction.

We also need more people like Timothy Irving, Butch/Ant, Jason Aruda, Charlie, Karl Hub, Foti, Gerry, John, Kyle and all the other team owners that help keep NE paintball growing by teaching the sport to new prospects.
If you see something good in a player then put time into him/her. One of my best on the team was shooting a spyder at prov Indoor when I picked him up and didn't know what a lane or a corner was.

If the best players from each team came together NE would have a decent National team.

Fact is every team Owner's players have a bond with the team which is key.

Any mofo who hits the lotto would be able to offer free rides to the ballers of NE and put together a great team of talent. The bond needed to succeed past raw talent takes years. That in fact wears on the pockets of the Owner.
Not just anyone can put together a team like HEAT and win stuff.

CHEERS
Coach Q
Q man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:09 AM #95
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
I don't know anything about fencing, but I imagine you're not paying $50+ each week to practice.

The only sport I've ever been able to think of that compares to paintball in terms of cost is snowboarding/skiing. You have a large up front cost in gear. Then you also have a $50+ cost each time you go. Although, with snow sports you can decrease some of the cost by getting a season pass and sticking to one mountain.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM #96
EvilPimp_
Where my money at???

^^ the two posts above me are exactly my thoughts. It takes a lot of money to run a team long term. If money was not an issue, then you would be able to attract top talent, and keep them. I've seen so many good players drop out, or can only play rec now due to lack of money. Doesn't matter how much drive you have if you can't afford it. Real life comes first. Also dishearting when you spend so much, and there is no real payout in the end other than bragging rights. There is no money to be made unless you are a mfg like Dye or Eclipse. Money from big sponsers like Nike and Coke is just not there. Hopefully someday that will change.

Last edited by EvilPimp_ : 01-24-2013 at 09:44 AM.
EvilPimp_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 AM #97
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

Last time I checked, when you have drive for something you make it work. If you are 50$ short every week so you can't play, you pick up a second pastime job, selling things on Craigslist/eBay, but you make it work. I guess I'm one sided because I have dealt with all the real life situations, except a newborn ( not sure when that's going to happen lol), and I still made it work, I was unemployed, bought a house, got married, went to college, worked 70+ hours a week, bought new vehicles, and still found a way to get the money to practice. Guess I'm one in a million...or I didn't make excuses and have the drive...my dad always taught me, if you love doing something, don't let anything stop you, and money sure as hell us not going to stop me from playing tournament paintball. When it comes down to the individual it's about will power, and drive. I'm getting sick of reading about money problems, get a job at Dunkin donuts for 5 hours a week ya lazy farts!
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Last edited by 4x4 rider : 01-24-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM #98
Q man
GNDB!

Annual Supporting Member
Q man plays in the PSP
Q man plays in the APPA D4 division
Q man has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Q man has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Q man has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Q man has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Last time I checked, when you have drive for something you make it work. If you are 50$ short every week so you can't play, you pick up a second pastime job, selling things on Craigslist/eBay, but you make it work. I guess I'm one sided because I have dealt with all the real life situations, except a newborn ( not sure when that's going to happen lol), and I still made it work, I was unemployed, bought a house, got married, went to college, worked 70+ hours a week, bought new vehicles, and still found a way to get the money to practice. Guess I'm one in a million...or I didn't make excuses and have the drive...my dad always taught me, if you love doing something, don't let anything stop you, and money sure as hell us not going to stop me from playing tournament paintball. When it comes down to the individual it's about will power, and drive. I'm getting sick of reading about money problems, get a job at Dunkin donuts for 5 hours a week ya lazy farts!
Q man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 PM #99
EvilPimp_
Where my money at???

I hear ya, but hard to do it years after year. I give you credit tho . That's why I said prople can usually do it for a few years then take a break. Hard for a team to stay consistent when people cycle in and out.
EvilPimp_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:21 PM #100
I'm_Addicted
snowman FTW

I'm_Addicted owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
On the subject of other expensive sports, the biggest bill definitely goes to the equestrians
I'm_Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM #101
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

thats not a sport imo, if it was every single person pre automobile was an equestrian haha
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 PM #102
I'm_Addicted
snowman FTW

Most people don't think it's a sport, but hey, what do the people that put on the Olympics know about sports.....or jumping a 1200lbs animal over a 6.5 ft jump multiple times

That's also like saying running isn't a sport, because most people have legs and can run. Or swimming, because most people can. Or race car driving, because most people know how to drive. Or fencing, because before guns everyone could swing a sword. Or paintball, because anyone can go in their backyard with their tippmann and shoot at their friends wearing camo. Everything is relative

Last edited by I'm_Addicted : 01-24-2013 at 05:11 PM.
I'm_Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 PM #103
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

Actually all those things you mentioned, in my honest opinion, aren't sports accept racing a car and paintball. And the people that put on the Olympics and pick the "sports" are bat **** crazy. Tandem synchronized swimming??!? Like really?? Canoeing??? Wtf.. So that argument holds little to no weight with me, sorry, I'm not being mean either, I'm just letting you know how I feel about the "sports" in the Olympics.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 01-24-2013, 05:59 PM #104
JMills87
-.-

JMills87 plays in the PSP
JMills87 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Actually all those things you mentioned, in my honest opinion, aren't sports accept racing a car and paintball. And the people that put on the Olympics and pick the "sports" are bat **** crazy. Tandem synchronized swimming??!? Like really?? Canoeing??? Wtf.. So that argument holds little to no weight with me, sorry, I'm not being mean either, I'm just letting you know how I feel about the "sports" in the Olympics.
you consider race car driving a sport and not equestrian? interesting.....
JMills87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM #105
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE
Playoffs??? PLAYOFFS!!??

AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is a Supporting Member
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE plays in the PSP
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is Boss
you consider race car driving a sport but not running....

you lost me
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups