sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Lobsters made Saturday. But yeah, we had a good run at PSP Chicago last year. I'm sure we would have done better at the other events if the team had stayed together. The only problem was $$$.

NEPb - Destructive Customs - Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 PM #44
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

has been a member for 10 years
4x4 rider plays in the PSP
4x4 rider plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumorai View Post

I was looking forward to balling with you guys, but alas, my days playing PSP are over. Best of luck to you guys.

Why the name change, though?
Because all Americans was already a pro psp team, so we needed something different. Done with psp, why?
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

NEAA-2011 foXball Champs!

Aftermath fan club member #80
UpTon 187 cRew fan club member #15
4x4 rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:22 PM #45
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 rider View Post
Because all Americans was already a pro psp team, so we needed something different. Done with psp, why?
Good point. Armageddon is a better name anyways. hehe

I burned out. Four years of playing on teams that couldn't make it happen. That's a lot of wasted time.

NEPb - Destructive Customs - Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM #46
bcelos
Broken gun association

bcelos plays in the PSP
bcelos owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bcelos is an NCPA player
bcelos plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleed Arbor View Post
Anyone that could financially support an upper divisional team would just be losing money in the end, why would they do it?
Obviously they would be losing money but they do it because they have a love and respect for the game. All majorly competing divisional teams have some sort of huge financial backer and they get nothing from it. Even in the Pro leagues you don't actually make money (much) from winning tournaments, you make it by kids seeing you shoot an Ego then they go out and ride PE's nuts. But no divisional player has the kind of appeal sponsorship wise so there really is no money to be made at all.

Quote:
Lobsters made Saturday. But yeah, we had a good run at PSP Chicago last year. I'm sure we would have done better at the other events if the team had stayed together. The only problem was $$$.
Quote:
I burned out. Four years of playing on teams that couldn't make it happen. That's a lot of wasted time.
As many others have said I think what makes a team be able to compete at the highest levels is the ability for that team to stay together and keep the same guys playing with each other year in and year out. Teams that win tournaments are the teams that know how each other play, they have a true connection and they know each others moves and obviously the longer the same core group stays together the more successful they are.

When you look at California and Florida the paintball scene is 100x bigger than in New England. There are paintball companies/fields as well as outside industries willing to shell out money to support upcoming teams. If a team is heavily financially backed that team will be able to practice, travel and stay together. In New England kids get burned out, they get tired of emptying their bank accounts and they 'grow' up and they leave their team which prevents that team from growing.

I wish paintball companies like Dye or Empire would organize farm organizations throughout the country which produces nationally competitive teams. If anyone ever went to the All American Field in PA before it shut down it was basically Smart Parts running an amazing multi turf xball complex for the All Americans as well as their divisional teams to practice on and those teams were literally the best.

If Empire opened a field somewhere in New England like Mass for everyone to come down and try out. Pick like 100 strong players, Give them a legit field to practice on, ween them out over a few months of heavy practicing then formed a few farming d2/d1 teams, paid a huge part of the expense then had these teams go off win PSP titles and have those players eventually move on to the empire sponsored teams the paintball scene would explode. But obviously it would be a endless money pitt.

UConn Huskies NCPA Class A/NEXL D2
Geo 2 and AXE FST
bcelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:33 PM #47
Skunkable
cRew

Skunkable plays in the PSP
Skunkable owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Skunkable plays in the APPA D3 division
Skunkable has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Oh the good old days when paintball was about getting some friends together and having fun and less about money and politics....
Old 01-20-2013, 06:56 PM #48
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkable View Post
Oh the good old days when paintball was about getting some friends together and having fun and less about money and politics....
I hear ya on that one, that's why I still play with all my friends at my buddies house in the woods...
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 PM #49
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
That's why I picked up pump. When tournaments and practice just felt like a grind and left me more angry and frustrated, it was time to go do something else.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 PM #50
Nikilwig
Double Up

Nikilwig plays in the PSP
Nikilwig is for the Gunfight
Nikilwig is for the Gunfight
Drive

Have you shot a Vangaurd Demon yet?
Vanguard Demon | NXE | GI SPORTZ | Ninja Paintball | Warzone Paintball | Shadow Barrels | RAZA
Nikilwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 PM #51
raiderpaintball09

You constantly see kids leaving the sport or selling their stuff because they make stupid choices on buying expensive equipments, mostly markers speaking. You see this more than ever around here.. kids buying new guns and quiting because the pour all their income into "cool" gear rather than using that money to play and get better.. where all victim of this. The difference between New England and other areas where you see rising stars is the fact that they live it and play. period. They will play with ripped pants and an ancient gun because they want to get better and you see those kids now playing at the top. I also think their is a lack of any leadership or organizational skills never mind the fact that their isn't any real veterans to take the roles of coaches. I see people attempting to coach and run teams half the time they have no idea what they are talking about.
raiderpaintball09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:15 PM #52
raiderpaintball09

Then their is this talk of 50k, sponsorships, funding... why? Dont buy the new Geo3 for $1500 and you'll be set.. thats really going to make you the player you want to be? No it wont all it does is intimidate rentals and make for cool pictures. Play with what you have find players willing to do the same.. practice and play events.. thats all it takes. The more you play the better you get and the more events you play the greater shot you have at being noticed.. move up the ranks and get the big deals. You have the mentality and the desire to play you will. I tell people if you want something you will have it and its true. There is always a way to have what you want.. You cant afford something you work.. Its the desire people dont want it, very few do in New England atleast. So I think the answer to this is people dont want to work for it. And granted yes people do grow up absolutely true.. but then again you can have an adult mentality yet still be passionate about something where you strive to be great at it. Pro athletes had a desire to do what they do and it wasn't because it pays well its because they love what they do and they are passionate about it.
raiderpaintball09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 PM #53
Hot Nuts22
Bangarang

Hot Nuts22 is playing at Living Legends VI
Hot Nuts22 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Hot Nuts22 supports Team VICIOUS
Hot Nuts22 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
whatever happened to the ducks? 5 years ago they were the ****. battled hard against 187. it was a good rivalry. and the team name is dope.
"Whitness" fan #7
BPG
aXe MEN
"I'm a back line battlefield commander. Then I rush up the gut and bunker as many people as I can to steal the glory from my front players.
#hashbrown yolo fish swag." -Kazer
Hot Nuts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:53 AM #54
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderpaintball09 View Post
The difference between New England and other areas where you see rising stars is the fact that they live it and play. period. They will play with ripped pants and an ancient gun because they want to get better and you see those kids now playing at the top.
I'm curious, where are you getting your information from? Not saying you are right or wrong, just curious if you have data or are just riffing?

Quote:
I also think their is a lack of any leadership or organizational skills never mind the fact that their isn't any real veterans to take the roles of coaches.
There are lots of veterans. I could probably name 15 pro-experienced (or close) potential coaches. The question you should be asking is why they left the sport instead of sticking around to help a future generation. And I can promise you, it wasn't because they blew all their money on equipment.

Quote:
Then their is this talk of 50k, sponsorships, funding... why? Dont buy the new Geo3 for $1500 and you'll be set..blah blah, go read the original post if you want to. Its just two above this one.
So, in your eyes, is this an individual thing or a team thing? Because just there you seemed to be talking about individual players getting better, being noticed and moving up the ranks.

Hereís the bottom line: IF YOU WANT A SUCCESSFUL TEAM, YOU NEED MONEY. You need more than just money, but no amount of desire, hard work and potential is going to create a divisional team unless there is also, somewhere, $3000 for the entry fee.

And, for the record, that $50K isnít for individual gear. PSP D4 and D3 entry is $2750 per event. D2 is $2950. Over the course of a season, thatís $13,750 or $14,750. Paint can probably be found for $35/case. Figure 25 cases per event (that should get you through the prelims) and you are looking at another $875 per event ($4375 per season). You can kick it like Lockout used to, put your entire team in one room and youíd still be looking at about $300 per event (and the prospect of sharing a double bed with your one or two closest male friends). Thatís $1500 per season. That, btw, is an $85 room with 11% tax for three nights. Letís call rental car $500 (you should get a big one; someoneís gonna need to sleep in there). We are over $20K, without including what each individual will need to pay for airfare (conservatively another $1200 over the course of the season, per player). We havenít covered things like paper towels, water, Gatorade or pedialyte for the field. We havenít covered batteries (if you donít provide them, people wonít buy their own and I promise you, thatíll cost you Ė maybe a match, maybe just a few points, but thereís a cost to avoiding the cost).

Oh, snap, we forgot practices. Well, you can go to 15 rotations at Fox4 and thatíll run you $6750. Of course, thatís not nearly enough. Letís say you also do 10 private practices at All Star, for another $5000. 25 practices might be enough (although, you arenít shooting much paint, but we can leave that alone right now). Anyway, we just added $11,750 to the total.

You can want it. I mean, if you are going to succeed, you have to want it. But thatís not enough.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 AM #55
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcelos View Post
Even in the Pro leagues you don't actually make money (much) from winning tournaments, you make it by kids seeing you shoot an Ego then they go out and ride PE's nuts.
How does that make the team money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcelos View Post
I wish paintball companies like Dye or Empire would organize farm organizations throughout the country which produces nationally competitive teams. If anyone ever went to the All American Field in PA before it shut down it was basically Smart Parts running an amazing multi turf xball complex for the All Americans as well as their divisional teams to practice on and those teams were literally the best.
You should probably avoiding using the company that went bankrupt as an example of how to do things right. Just saying...

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 AM #56
NTran

Annual Supporting Member
NTran is a Professional paintball player
NTran plays in the PSP
NTran owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Where did they all go? We need to change this and start getting some serious high level divisional teams back in New England.. whos in ???
Are you willing to do the work to make it happen or are you looking for someone to make it happen?

It would definitely be great if we could field more competitive teams in the national circuit.

As Jeff touched upon, you need to separate from what it takes to be a great individual player and a great team.

He has been doing this for a LONG time and at the highest levels so his words carry a lot of weight.
UpTon 187 cRew - #4, Coach/Manager
Fox 4 Paintball * Planet Eclipse * G.I. SPORTZ

PM me if you want to set up a TEAM Clinic or INDIVIDUAL Clinic with 187.
NTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 AM #57
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

The whole "ripped gear and low end gun" doesn't mean anything, I've had hand me down gear and borrowing teammates guns for years now just to save money so I can practice as much as I possibly can, and I'm still at a low level. I believe I have a very high drive to play at the highest level, but what holds my team and mulled back is money PERIOD
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 AM #58
NTran

Annual Supporting Member
NTran is a Professional paintball player
NTran plays in the PSP
NTran owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Like people have mentioned, mainly Jeff and Gabe, there are few important factors to a successful team.

Organization , Money, and Players.

I think the organization is the most important. You need a team owner/manager that wants to sacrifice his time and resources to develop the team. They need to have a reason to want to invest into something that has little to no return. They also have to be good at doing so.

Money is important because it costs A LOT to play. Jeff already broke down costs, so you guys can obviously look back at that.

You need the right players to achieve. How you choose your players are more based on what you have around you and how you organize your team.

Of those three, I always feel organization and players are always underrated and money is overrated.

Money is overrated in the sense that it's important but everyone thinks that's all it takes. Money gives you the chance to be good. It still takes organization and the right players to succeed.
UpTon 187 cRew - #4, Coach/Manager
Fox 4 Paintball * Planet Eclipse * G.I. SPORTZ

PM me if you want to set up a TEAM Clinic or INDIVIDUAL Clinic with 187.
NTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:11 AM #59
EvilPimp_
Where my money at???

Bottom line is there is a lack of funds to sustain a team long term. I usually see teams go broke and fall apart after 2-3 years. It's hard to keep a team going when no one has money, and real life hits you upside the head. Paintball is not like basketball. It is a beast that has to be fed every point you play.
EvilPimp_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 AM #60
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

When teams break up though its mostly due to organization, a whole team of players never decide just to quit playing, one or two maybe.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 01-21-2013, 01:13 PM #61
EvilPimp_
Where my money at???

A lot of people I know have to take a break financially after a few years of playing tournies. People have to decide between rent, owing a car, having a normal relationship and playing seriously. People come back, but unless you have that organization/individual that can provide a steady source of cash, it's hard to keep it going.
EvilPimp_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:17 PM #62
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

Well thats the difference, if you are truely passionate about it and want to play at a higher level, it doesn't matter what you have going on outside of the paintball realm, you will find a way to play, whether it be working multiple jobs, nights, weekends, etc. And I have been playing a TON of paintball since I started my relationship years ago with my wife, and I would never have stayed with her if she didn't support my dream/hobby/passion, but then again I am not going to give dating advice, thats for another time lol. People in general just lack ambition, drive, or willpower it is apparent in every sport, not just ours, it just so happens that their are less people interested in tournament paintball than other sports, especially in this area.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 01-21-2013, 03:26 PM #63
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
I think another factor is too much too fast. People want to play and progress too quickly. They're not content to play a season or two at their level of skill and then bump up to ensure they have their coordination down. They start placing and seem to think that bumping up mid season or playing other events at a higher division is a good idea. Then it's just not there in comparison to other teams and it rattles people on various levels. Going from placing in top 5 or top 3 and then being at the bottom of the barrel.
Then of course there is the other side of the coin of people/teams who don't want to bump up to a higher skill level despite clearly outclassing everybody in their current division. I'm sure everybody has seen plenty of that.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups