PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 AM #1
Blackbelt08
Foxtrot Tango Charlie

Launchers

I've never made a launcher before and I'm just curious as to what the best way to build one is?
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 PM #2
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
I've found pressurized PVC works in most designs.

I've talked to Dorsai on here and he swears about using metal for a tube.

I've looked a making a launcher with the small CO2 canisters or a remote air line with a larger ci tank running air.

I'm looking to build one for I.O.N. Are there tanks at I.O.N.?
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 PM #3
ThorsHammer45

Annual Supporting Member
ThorsHammer45 is BST Legit
ThorsHammer45 is playing at Living Legends V
ThorsHammer45 is playing at Living Legends VI
ThorsHammer45 is playing at Living Legends VII
ThorsHammer45 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ThorsHammer45 supports Team VICIOUS
I am building one using a power washer handle (rated for 5,000psi). Not done yet but they work great.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 AM #4
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Many fields do not allow pressurized PVC air chambers for safety reasons that are well founded. That is your biggest and only real hurdle.

The lightest and cheapest air chamber is the 2-3 pound disposible ABC fire extinguishers. They go flat and the local fire extinguisher place sells them a new one. You can get a flat one used and cheap by calling around. You will need the ability to drill and tap the plastic fitting in the tank to a 1/2" pipe thread. Otherwise, Metal pipe which can get real heavy.

PVC for barrels is standard. 2" x 4' of schedule 40 is more barrel than you need.

Orbit and Rainbird Sprinkler valves from your local Home Depot is most commonly used main valve. Some Orbits have a manual toggle valve so you have a manual AND electronic trigger option using two 9 volt batteries.
Some sprinkler valves are rated 150 psi but MOST are 125 psi. It is not on the box so you have to call the manufacture for that model sprinkler valve. Call Orbit first.

Just about every field requires a safety pressure relief valve set at your sprinkler valve rating. 125 or 150. Also require a pressure guage installed so they can SEE what your operating pressure is.

All this hardware can be found at the hardware stores. Shop air pressure relief and pressures guages are inexpensive and available. The rest is plumbing fittings. Again use steel or brass if it is a pressurized fitting.

You will have to scrounge or order an Adjustabled inline paintball regulator to step down the supply pressure (850 psi-1500 psi) down to your operating pressure of 125-150 psi. Of course you have to buy one that is adjustable down to that range.

I'm rushed right now but if you send me an e mail I can get back to you with more info, pictures, links, and how to files in a couple of days. So start scrounging parts.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 01-11-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:26 PM #5
Charger1981

Our only experience was going Potato Gun style, either stuffed with paintballs or with a fabric wad to simulate a heavy ordinance for vehicles. It KIND OF worked. Not ideal.
Charger1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:16 AM #6
Boom Master
Scenario Player

If you are planning on building a launcher for a specific field or fields, it would be best to get their requirements for launchers. Should be on their website or the Producers Website. If not, e mail or call. Forgot to attach my e mail.

Just copy or click: ddupont@charter.net

You don't have to......
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 AM #7
Blackbelt08
Foxtrot Tango Charlie

Thanks for the info, looks like I've got some shopping to do
Old 01-14-2013, 01:46 PM #8
JFBig Mac
Assassins Guild

Def agree with Boom Master - check the fields you normally go to first. Some will only allow commercial due to insurance regulations so it would stink for you to build somehting that your primary fields dont allow.

Our team has some of the pressure washer style that Thor is talking about. We dont use any expansion chambers. I dont have a flicker account or anything to upload pics or I would upload pics of mine but it is
12 gram adapter into a female marker fitting (standard paintball piece where u attach a tank to a marker) into a Washer handle and out into a barrell.

12g=>Air intake=>fittings/reducer=>Washer=>fittings/reducer=>PVC Barrell

Again - most of this is found in plumbing section

Assassins Guild Captain
Buzzkill Commander http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3162965
JFBig Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM #9
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Quote:
Some will only allow commercial due to insurance regulations so.......
There are only 3 underwriters for paintball last I heard and I have yet to SEE any that impose those restrictions. So it is a convenient lie to their customers - you and me.

Some of the individual insurance carriers might impose their own for example Cossio Insurance.

And there are always fields that think paintball should be about just paintball.

They can run their insurance agency and field anyway they want and I can spend my paintball budget anyway I want----Not on one of their fields.

So when you hear that folks, ASK is it the underwriter, insurance company policy, or just they way they want to run their field. Then ASK which companies are doing this to our sport.

I get stonewalled every time I ask it. Took over 5 years to find out IF Oklahoma D Day even carries insurance. They do - with Cossio Insurance.

Cossio has a LONG history of legal problems going back before he got into paintball. Got sued over violating a non-compete clause. He had a lawsuit with a failed paintball enterprise not related to insurance. Followed by a bankruptcy. HE was instrumental in the campaign to ban full auto markers. He is NO FRIEND of our sport and all the fields should NOT do business with him.

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 01-15-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 AM #10
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Hey Big Mac. What kind of muzzle velocity are you getting? That has been the historical problem with all the past attempts using pressure washers for main valve and triggers. What kind of operating pressure are you using? Make seperate post, PM, or e mail me.

You don't have to......
Old 01-15-2013, 01:40 PM #11
dorsai

dorsai posts videos on PbNation
Boom Master,

Just a note regards to D-Day Adventure Park. They
no longer use Cossio Insurance. Not sure who their
new agent/carrier is, but it's not Larry.

Sincerely,
Office: 407.563.3884
Cell: 239.410.9632
Email: ADorsai@aol.com
dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 PM #12
Tusken Raider

NO PVC for the pressure chamber. You an use a PVC pressure chamber for design and test purposes, but not for field use. The barrel can be PVC, but not the pressure chamber.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 AM #13
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Dorsi, Then Dewayne needs to tell him to remove the video endorsement off of Larrys Website. or PAY him to leave it there..

You don't have to......
Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 PM #14
ThorsHammer45

Annual Supporting Member
ThorsHammer45 is BST Legit
ThorsHammer45 is playing at Living Legends V
ThorsHammer45 is playing at Living Legends VI
ThorsHammer45 is playing at Living Legends VII
ThorsHammer45 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ThorsHammer45 supports Team VICIOUS
Power Washer type

Yes Big Mac..what kind of problems have you encountered with using pressure washer handles as the basis for a launcher? Everyone that I have talked to that has done this works great. Some might have a few leaks down the barrel from time to time but an on/off asa would solve that. I was actually thinking of running my tank into a female Stabilizer on the bottom and have that regulate into the power washer handle. Any additional thoughts??? Thanks.