Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 AM #22
HECTIC956

HECTIC956 plays in the PSP
HECTIC956 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
HECTIC956 plays in the APPA D4 division
the reason i ask about the prizes is so that i know what to shoot for. what division i would like to play in. i think each division should get a % of the entry fees for the division they are playing in and thats where i stand
2gether we stand, divided we fall
HECTIC956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 AM #23
bigntastyeclipse08
Kingkongpb.com

Let's all play 5 man. You get a percent i think or something. Would be groovy.
bigntastyeclipse08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 AM #24
n10cd mom

obviously your pretty new to this sport... and dont know what the psp used to be...

I actually do remember what PSP used to be I also and very familar with the really lean years of 2007/2008/2009 and 2010 when the leagues weren't making money and barely survived the year without ending up in the red. The industry itself is just now recovering from some of the worst years we've had in a long time. Yes other leagues offer cash prizes but they would be the same leagues that have either folded of claimed bankruptcy a couple of times. As for high school sports several places now you do have to pay to play anywhere from 250-500 dollars depending on your program. The point I'm making is that if you want to make money from paintball come out and work the event then you'll be guaranteed to go home with the cash!!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 AM #25
bigntastyeclipse08
Kingkongpb.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by n10cd mom View Post
obviously your pretty new to this sport... and dont know what the psp used to be...

I actually do remember what PSP used to be I also and very familar with the really lean years of 2007/2008/2009 and 2010 when the leagues weren't making money and barely survived the year without ending up in the red. The industry itself is just now recovering from some of the worst years we've had in a long time. Yes other leagues offer cash prizes but they would be the same leagues that have either folded of claimed bankruptcy a couple of times. As for high school sports several places now you do have to pay to play anywhere from 250-500 dollars depending on your program. The point I'm making is that if you want to make money from paintball come out and work the event then you'll be guaranteed to go home with the cash!!
Really. Im thinking schools with terrible sport's teams? So basically if you win, you win money. Thats how it works. Then sponsors pay, or alumni, etc. Do well, save money.

bigntastyeclipse08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 AM #26
HECTIC956

What does PSP spend so much money on??? Reffs and the people that handle the event? what else? they sell the fieds after the tourney and use other peoples fields to make the events. they are making thousands of dollars at each event so it doesnt make sense to me. and what high school football are you taking about, private school? yeah they spend a little money and its just once a year not every event. THE POINT IM TRYING TO MAKE is I just want to know what division pays what, so i can shoot for that
Old 01-15-2013, 12:48 AM #27
HECTIC956

Where can I get some info on the Prizes for the PSP??? APPA?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:05 AM #28
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE
Playoffs??? PLAYOFFS!!??

AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE plays in the PSP
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is Boss
they arnt released so you wont be getting any info until they are.

regardless, i highly doubt your going to be making money if you win any division lower then d1. if your banking on the prizes being good enough to float your team and for you to win every event, then id think about playing a different league.
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:29 AM #29
paintballedge06

paintballedge06 plays in the PSP
paintballedge06 is an NCPA player
paintballedge06 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by HECTIC956 View Post
What does PSP spend so much money on??? Reffs and the people that handle the event? what else? they sell the fieds after the tourney and use other peoples fields to make the events. they are making thousands of dollars at each event so it doesnt make sense to me. and what high school football are you taking about, private school? yeah they spend a little money and its just once a year not every event. THE POINT IM TRYING TO MAKE is I just want to know what division pays what, so i can shoot for that

Haha this comes up every year and cracks me up. My generation and below is all about "me, me, me" and "what do I get out of it". Not just in paintball but in life, and its a big problem with not only how our sport is but in many ways.

Facts are, the PSP has the best competition and in order to be among the best your going to pay. Hell I think the pro's get what 10k for a win? Lets see they shoot what 70 cases of paint to get there (regardless if they pay or not someone does) so thats 3200 or so, then 2600 entry, is what 5800 in direct expenses. so that leaves 4200....divide that by 10 players so now we are at 420 each...oh wait there is hotel food and plane travel....but there is also the fact they practice the day before the event so add another 25 cases.....

basically what I am saying is that its paintball now...Like it or not. We won cup in 2010...know what we got 1 plaque and 8 medals...I spend about 1400 total to do that....and guess what I would do it all over again...now they offer free entry to the next event...win the series you get HALF off an entire season the following season. And with the help of the paint manufacturers you take first, you get your paint for FREE and with some you even will get paid 1000 if your wearing there stuff....No this isnt how it used to be and yes its expensive, but its getting better.

If you want to break even in this sport you might want to quit and take up something else (even though idk what sport you can break even (drag raced for some time and did some other sports once you calculate costs there is no breaking even not even close.)

Hell even local events are going to run you money after prizes. Also I bet if you actually added up the total costs you might be surprised what the psp actually makes...not saying they dont make money but its a buisnes not a donation....if you where the owners of the psp and some of the workers would you work for 20k a year and bust your *** to put on these events??? I think not. Do a little math on your own and be realistic with it and I bet you will come up with a number you might be surprised of. Remember people need paid/insurance needs paid/ air has to be ran/ there is a lot of setup to be done in which people need to be paid to do/ a lot of pr work/ lots of travel expense's need paid/ etc, etc.

Keep in mind, they sell the fields but that does not mean they all sell...we bought a field from chicago 2 right after jersey...those fields also have to be transported. You ever priced netting out? And realize that it rips pretty easy so has to be replaced. Thought about the amount of cleanup after an event? Remember they also get taxed on the end of the year for all those entries...that also adds up. Just saying put a buisnes cap on for a min, put yourself in an owners shoes....what is the minimum you would take per year to deal with all us "paintball *******s" and what would you have to pay someone like lane to deal with the event setup and teardown. As I said they do make money, and prob good money, but maybe its deserved with what you dont see.

Again my 2 cents on this

Last edited by paintballedge06 : 01-15-2013 at 06:34 AM.
paintballedge06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 AM #30
CombatOi84
Raider Nation

CombatOi84 plays in the PSP
CombatOi84 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by n10cd mom View Post
Prizes need to be better for what? When was the last time in any sport that you won anything besides a trophy below a pro level. Winning anything more than that for D3 is bonus. Thats like saying that high school football should make some money when they win state championships. Be serious. Not to mention so you win entry to the next tournament which is basically a return on your entry fee plus which ever paint manufacturer you used just credited everything you spent on paint for the event. Not to mention you start winning events your field gets you better sponsorship but it takes years to break even in paintball, if you expect more than that GET OUT NOW!!!

You make money in just about every other sport if you win money.... Even not at the pro level, of course you don't at the collegate level CAUSE YOU NOT ALLOWED TO, but you think AAA baseball players don't make money? You think if I win my local flag football league I don't make any money? You think if I don't win my local ****ing dodgeball tournament I am not going to make a few bucks?

What the hell are you smoking friend.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 AM #31
paintballedge06

paintballedge06 plays in the PSP
paintballedge06 is an NCPA player
paintballedge06 plays in the APPA D3 division
And those sports have no cost to run.. Except AAA .. In which they have big $$$$ backers aka professional leagues... Hmm do we have that in paintball?
If anyone needs face palmed my friend it's you. Use some math. The big spenders in AAA are getting benefit .. That is potential upbringing of a player that will bring them money... This does not work in paintball...
Those other games you described cost nothing to put on compared to paintball...if you actually compared cost to put on vs prizes paintball actually pays out higher than anything u mentioned besides AAA. and if your good enough to play there doubt your complaining about prizes in this sport
paintballedge06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 AM #32
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by HECTIC956 View Post
yes i expect more with all the money we spend
And you can get more, if you can win the tournament.

Just remember that 1st place in D4 is like 79th place in the tournament, so if you're winning D4, you have some work to do.

Side note: AAA baseball players make a subsistence wage. Like $25k a year or something. They would almost all make more money doing anything other than baseball.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org

Last edited by raehl : 01-15-2013 at 08:58 AM.
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:09 AM #33
CombatOi84
Raider Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballedge06 View Post
And those sports have no cost to run.. Except AAA .. In which they have big $$$$ backers aka professional leagues... Hmm do we have that in paintball?
If anyone needs face palmed my friend it's you. Use some math. The big spenders in AAA are getting benefit .. That is potential upbringing of a player that will bring them money... This does not work in paintball...
Those other games you described cost nothing to put on compared to paintball...if you actually compared cost to put on vs prizes paintball actually pays out higher than anything u mentioned besides AAA. and if your good enough to play there doubt your complaining about prizes in this sport
You don't think d1/pro paintball players bring money to companies? You don't think every 13 yr old wants the same cool tanktop as Damian? Also the only reason I mentioned any of those things was in response to the other idiots post who said "You don't make money at ANY spot if its not Pro". I was not comparing dodgeball and paintball, only saying you can make money there. I never once complained about the prizes in paintball, maybe you should read what people say before snapping judgement. Do I wish that prizes were better? Of course I do, do I understand why they arn't? Sort of.... I think there are a lot of things that could be done about that though. If you go look at some of my older posts, I have said it 1000 times and I will say it again, paintball needs outside money to grow and get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post

Just remember that 1st place in D4 is like 79th place in the tournament, so if you're winning D4, you have some work to do.

Side note: AAA baseball players make a subsistence wage. Like $25k a year or something. They would almost all make more money doing anything other than baseball.

- Chris
I would happily play at the d1 level with a $25k/yr salary and my travel expenses covered.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:32 AM #34
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOi84 View Post
You don't think d1/pro paintball players bring money to companies? You don't think every 13 yr old wants the same cool tanktop as Damian?
Most 13 year olds don't play paintball. Of the 13 year olds that do play paintball, none of them started playing paintball because of competitive paintball. And of those who do play paintball, 90% of them play in the woods and still have no idea competitive paintball exists.

Quote:
If you go look at some of my older posts, I have said it 1000 times and I will say it again, paintball needs outside money to grow and get better.
Lots of things get better with more money. That doesn't mean there's just piles of money around that will jump in your pocket if you ask nicely.

Quote:
I would happily play at the d1 level with a $25k/yr salary and my travel expenses covered.
I'm sure you would. But no one wants to pay someone to do that, so you can't.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 AM #35
Ginny
Chris Yu

Quote:

- Chris
Real mature answer...
Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM #36
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny View Post
Real mature answer...
It's a very mature answer. That's the way the real world works - you shouldn't expect compensation just because you chose to avoid competing against the best competition.

- Chris

Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 AM #37
Rebekah
s3aki7ten

Rebekah plays in the PSP
Rebekah is an NCPA player
Rebekah plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny View Post
Real mature answer...
says the guy using emoticons
Rebekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM #38
Bounds
bloodymuRda

Bounds plays in the PSP
Bounds plays in the APPA D2 division
WHITE TEE GANG/STRATTON OAKMONT BEARS

Illuminati
Bounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM #39
CombatOi84
Raider Nation

Quote:
Most 13 year olds don't play paintball. Of the 13 year olds that do play paintball, none of them started playing paintball because of competitive paintball. And of those who do play paintball, 90% of them play in the woods and still have no idea competitive paintball exists.
Chris with you being from the MW, this surprises me.... I see tons and tons of young players at all the fields in IL.

Quote:
Lots of things get better with more money. That doesn't mean there's just piles of money around that will jump in your pocket if you ask nicely.
The reality of it there are piles of money laying around, it just about going around and finding it....

Quote:
I'm sure you would. But no one wants to pay someone to do that, so you can't.
Hence where the outside money comes into play...
Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 PM #40
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOi84 View Post
Chris with you being from the MW, this surprises me.... I see tons and tons of young players at all the fields in IL.
Which does not in any way counter what I said.

Quote:
The reality of it there are piles of money laying around, it just about going around and finding it....

Hence where the outside money comes into play...
Keep in mind you're talking to one of the few people in paintball that has ever had a league sponsored by out-of-industry money and the only guy in paintball that still televises paintball events. I've been around this block a few times. There's a little more involved than just "go get outside money".

- Chris

Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 PM #41
DuttDutt48

DuttDutt48 plays in the PSP
Paintball is not about making money, plain and simple. If you're in it for that, then pick something else to do, because people like that will ultimately ruin our sport. Every year a thread pops up like this, and I'm sure I'm not speaking just for myself when I say I'm tired of hearing about people complaining about it. Either get better and play D1/Pro and make some money, or deal with it. Paintball is about having fun, making lifelong friendships and memories that you will never forget. So take it for what it is or go play something else. Its time for a reality check for people who complain about prizes, paintball isn't what the MLB, NFL, NHL or any other pro sport is, it simply isn't. Will it get there one day? We can only hope, and help it grow by doing our share of promoting and spreading the word. There is no money to hand out, you have to earn it. We should be lucky that Lane, Camille, and the whole PSP crew puts all this together for us, and not bashing them for what you think they should be doing.

DuttDutt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:03 AM #42
HECTIC956

Damn people i cant believe this post got so many hits when I was simply asking what the prizes are. I would like more but the reality is that there cant be more and hopefully one day there is but i understand. I didnt think this was a year round job for people either unless your constantly working. to me it seems pretty easy to throw an event, find a field and make it happen. i know there is more than that to it but come on there is a lot of people that make this happen not just one. give me a job for the PSP. local fields make it happen all the time and they are making good money off of them. we actually make more money playing local tourneys than the psp but i love the sport and the competition of playing national events. less teams means we spend less paint and the entry is way cheaper and the prizes are better, plus not really any travel expenses just a couple gallons of gas. most local tourneys they pay $1000 to the winners and even give prizes to 2nd - 4th and they (field owner) still make good money. im sure psp can do the same or better. I mean C'MON its PSP