Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-15-2014, 11:35 AM #1
jgudoy

Loctite on tank threads

Should I use blue loctite on the threads on my reg to prevent it from coming off. Or should I use loctite thread sealant?
jgudoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2014, 11:45 AM #2
Vidalecent

Vidalecent has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Neither, if it's the threads that go into your gun just make sure your tank's o-ring is intact and you'll be fine. Thread sealant can seep into your gun and cause a whole laundry list of problems for you.
Vidalecent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:23 PM #3
jgudoy

I meant the threads on the reg that screw into the tank itself
jgudoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:48 PM #4
Chillanator

From my understanding if you thread the regulator onto the bottle hand-tight and the regulator is seated properly then you should be fine.

The regulator is then kept under pressure once it is filled with air to prevent it from coming off. Even when your tank is empty you will notice you have to apply strong force to remove the regulator because of it being under pressure.

Again, do not quote me on that. That is only what I believe to be correct, try posting in the "Ask an air tech" sticky on this forum.
Chillanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:18 PM #5
ynmech

Annual Supporting Member
ynmech owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
I've used the purple stuff in the past. It's hard to find but helps keep things from coming loose. It's light strength and doesn't need much to take apart.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 PM #6
MinorThreat
Subtle like a T-Rex

has been a member for 10 years
You guys scare me. Unless something has changed in the past you should always put some type of loctite onto the threads of the regulator before you screw it back into the tank.

The reason is because as the poster said above when the tank is pressurized it is hard to remove from the gun. It is entirely possible to accidentally start unscrewing the reg from the tank instead of the gun. The threads on most regulators are pretty long so hopefully any experienced paintball player would notice but i've been there when a reg blew off of a tank and exploded that last half inch of threads off.

Tanks used to have loctite red on them. Again, i'm older and haven't been part of the scene in a little while.

Also to the poster above that said the loctite will get into your gun and cause problems... just let it dry overnight before you shoot it if your concerned. It really only takes a few minutes.

Finally, this:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=128005

Last edited by MinorThreat : 04-15-2014 at 04:11 PM.
MinorThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:08 PM #7
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Hand tight is not okay unless you are constantly traveling and need to remove the reg for air travel. If you cross thread or gaul the threads you can easily overcome the force needed to start separating the cylinder from reg even with pressure in the tank.
Proper tool force is at least advised to help reduce the chance of the reg unscrewing from the cylinder. Loctite can be used but only the tiniest of drops on opposite sides of the thread from each other. The loctite is used to help slow down the reg/cylinder should it start to separate and make it more difficult to unscrew. You don't want to gum up the bleed holes though as that will vent the tank pressure long before the reg actually comes fully off, usually the drops should be above those holes so it spreads to the upper threads.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:30 PM #8
ReverendBubba
Custom Airsmith

ReverendBubba owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
ReverendBubba has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I've been doing this a very long time and the only time I have ever seen anyone unscrew a tank from a reg or valve involved a near empty tank with worn threads, and that was exactly once, and a CO2 tank (much lower pressure than air) at that. Don't use Loctite on regs, it does more harm than good. Even without Loctite it will take tools to unscrew a reg from an air tank after it's been filled and drained.

And whether you've used Loctite or not, pay attention to what is unscrewing every time you remove the tank from the gun. If the tank moves, but the reg doesn't, STOP! I also highly recommend witness marks on the tank and reg. Just draw a line, or even a dot, right at the spot the tank and reg meet. If those marks aren't lined up, figure out the problem.

Magnetic Dice Fill Nipple Covers
Spire Cheat Sheet Stickers

"Custom" takes more than an allen wrench.
ReverendBubba is offline   Reply With Quote