Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 AM #1618
cameron122000
*714*

cameron122000 helped look for balloons
cameron122000 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oedipus View Post
I'm an old junior at a real college and yet only now am I seeing a lot of my profs put low page count limits on reports and essays. Last week, I drafted a contract that my marketing teammates and I would have to abide by. Limit: 3 pages, double spaced. Mine turned out to be over 6 pages before I realized that there was actually a limit and not just a minimum.

Tonight, I have a four page max paper to do. My intro is almost a page by itself. I can't help but think that my profs want short papers because most of my peers write like fifth graders. Either way, I mad.
Brevity is the soul of wit, brah.

Most of my professors say it's harder to write shorter papers. They do it on purpose so you have to choose every single one of your words carefully, since each of them uses valuable space.

ST:Tech - waitwut.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 AM #1619
Burninator
Punisher of fleshlights

Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is a Mega Moderator
Burninator is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Burninator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Burninator has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Burninator is Legendary
Quote:
I'm an old junior at a real college and yet only now am I seeing a lot of my profs put low page count limits on reports and essays. Last week, I drafted a contract that my marketing teammates and I would have to abide by. Limit: 3 pages, double spaced. Mine turned out to be over 6 pages before I realized that there was actually a limit and not just a minimum.

Tonight, I have a four page max paper to do. My intro is almost a page by itself. I can't help but think that my profs want short papers because most of my peers write like fifth graders. Either way, I mad.
we have that problem a lot. Write a lab report thats 5 pages but you find that the results of the lab take 5 pages on their own.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 AM #1620
F1VENOM

Sounds like they're training you for the real world where you have to condense your life's work into a few pages when published.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM #1621
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Oedipus supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron122000 View Post
Brevity is the soul of wit, brah.

Most of my professors say it's harder to write shorter papers. They do it on purpose so you have to choose every single one of your words carefully, since each of them uses valuable space.
True or not, these papers are not presented in that way. The profs want them short because they want to spend as little time as possible reading them.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 PM #1622
F1VENOM

Quote:
True or not, these papers are not presented in that way. The profs want them short because they want to spend as little time as possible reading them.
Or because that's how professional papers are.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM #1623
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Not necessarily. Virtually nobody reads EULAs and contracts for a reason.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:15 PM #1624
F1VENOM

Quote:
Not necessarily. Virtually nobody reads EULAs and contracts for a reason.
Was talking about research publications and while you don't read them, the law departments certainly do.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:19 PM #1625
Volucris
asmuchtextastheywillallow

Professors want it short because it will still convey all the major points to show that you are understanding the material. All the while it takes less time for them to come to that conclusion.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 PM #1626
Oedipus
god save captain slow

For what it's worth, my first example was a contract. It was limited to three pages. The other one that I was working on last night isn't a research paper, either. I can understand why the reader probably doesn't want a 50 page paper with 100 sources unless it's absolutely necessary, but the "light" content and low gravity of these assignments doesn't convince me that the short length is to make us better writers.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 PM #1627
Burninator
Punisher of fleshlights

Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Or because that's how professional papers are.
really? I had more than a few papers last semesters over some new research i was reading for a project that were easily 50+ pages.

I wrote a 20 page paper with over 50 pages of appendices on the topic
Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM #1628
Promagistrate
such motto

Promagistrate owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Promagistrate has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate supports DLX Technology
in the "professional" world I don't think anyone cares whether your writeup is 5 or 10 pages as long as you convey what you need to convey. somehow I doubt jeff drones on and on with fluff, anyway
wat
wat
Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 PM #1629
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
really? I had more than a few papers last semesters over some new research i was reading for a project that were easily 50+ pages.

I wrote a 20 page paper with over 50 pages of appendices on the topic
Thesis?
Old 02-19-2013, 06:45 PM #1630
Burninator
Punisher of fleshlights

Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post

Thesis?
Mine wasn't a thesis. Mine was an end project that showed my logic family could implement better than standard CMOS. The articles I was using were IEEE articles from when the logic family was invented
Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 PM #1631
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Mine wasn't a thesis. Mine was an end project that showed my logic family could implement better than standard CMOS. The articles I was using were IEEE articles from when the logic family was invented
I've never seen an IEEE article longer than 5 pages, even the ones from the early 60's. I'd be floored to see something 25+ pages long.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 PM #1632
Promagistrate
such motto

computer don't work too good when there's 0 bytes of disk space on the boot ssd
wat
wat
Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 PM #1633
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Get bigger SSD, breh
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 PM #1634
cameron122000
*714*

cameron122000 helped look for balloons
cameron122000 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promagistrate View Post
in the "professional" world I don't think anyone cares whether your writeup is 5 or 10 pages as long as you convey what you need to convey. somehow I doubt jeff drones on and on with fluff, anyway
If it could be said in 5 pages, I don't want to read an extra 5 pages to get the same info.

ST:Tech - waitwut.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 PM #1635
General Muffinmann
^ ^

if you cant express your entire college education in 3 sentences your doing it wrong
Old 02-19-2013, 10:31 PM #1636
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Quote:
Get bigger SSD, breh
I wish I would have gotten a 256gb instead of a 120gb
Old 02-19-2013, 10:31 PM #1637
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Muffinmann View Post
if you cant express your entire college education in 3 sentences your doing it wrong
Just like your grammar?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 PM #1638
Promagistrate
such motto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmizzle View Post
I wish I would have gotten a 256gb instead of a 120gb
64gb over here. what a pain